• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT College Football

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
romeo....this was on the Bleacher Report this morning re: teams which are happy to have 2014 behind them.

You won't find many more disappointing seasons than the one put together by the 2014 Oklahoma Sooners. After starting out in the preseason Top Five of both the AP and Coaches Polls, the team finished outside the rankings altogether at the conclusion of bowl season.

The reason for the drop was an 8-5 campaign that, truth be told, was close to being 10-3 or even 11-2. After starting out 4-0, the Sooners lost by four at TCU and fell to Kansas State by a single point two weeks later. Baylor was the team that finally dropped the hammer, however, winning 48-14 in Norman. A collapse on the final week of the regular season to Oklahoma State put the nail in the coffin.

Still, there was an opportunity to salvage something out of the rough year against Clemson in bowl season, but the Tigers won 40-6 against a Sooners team that wouldn't have beaten Kansas that day. It was a forgettable season for one of college football's blue bloods, and Oklahoma should enter 2015 with a chip on its shoulder and not as one of the preseason favorites to make the playoff.

Oklahoma always seems to play better with a chip on their shoulder.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One player doesn't invalidate anything.

And you're kidding yourself if you think Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, Gary Patterson, etc wouldn't have put up with his antics.

Those coaches have kicked extremely talented players off their teams for pulling shit. Sumlin turned a blind eye. I'm telling you right now that johny fuck face would've never gotten away with that shit under Stoops. Period. End of discussion.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if he didn't end up in College Station. But I wouldn't be shocked if he went to Texas either.

18 year old guys do some rather strange things somethings. Plus, he may think he can walk into a starter position in Austin without much debate. Same may not be true for the Aggies.

But as you well know, that Aggie blood runs long and deep.

And I can tell you this, if I were a kid and I'd narrowed it down to those two, I'd certainly rather play for Sumlin than Strong.

It always boils down to how much opportunity he'll get to play and with Kyle Allen at TAMU it may be a few years before Murray gets his shot. Plus whoever offers the most perks and under the table stuff to the recruits will generally get that edge.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those coaches have kicked extremely talented players off their teams for pulling shit. Sumlin turned a blind eye. I'm telling you right now that johny fuck face would've never gotten away with that shit under Stoops. Period. End of discussion.

Strong has the leniency to 'clean up' the program but all of these programs and coaches turn blind eyes. Texas is losing right now so it's pretty easy to turn that blind and not make any boosters upset. When Strong turns that thing around I'm certain the leniency will began to increase.

Manzeil turned a whole university around by himself and was pretty much the reason A&M became relevant again. I'm not sure if he would get away with it under Stoops but I think it's a different situation since OU top to bottom has been historically good or great so they can probably afford to be a little bit less lenient. Either way I think it's rather naïve to think any of these programs are clean and I'm even including the bottom of the totem pole FBS schools.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong has the leniency to 'clean up' the program but all of these programs and coaches turn blind eyes. Texas is losing right now so it's pretty easy to turn that blind and not make any boosters upset. When Strong turns that thing around I'm certain the leniency will began to increase.

Manzeil turned a whole university around by himself and was pretty much the reason A&M became relevant again. I'm not sure if he would get away with it under Stoops but I think it's a different situation since OU top to bottom has been historically good or great so they can probably afford to be a little bit less lenient. Either way I think it's rather naïve to think any of these programs are clean and I'm even including the bottom of the totem pole FBS schools.

Let's never turn a blind eye to the FACT OU was home to the most renegade program in sports when Barry Switzer was the honcho.

Off the subject.....but I do like that crazy fucker, Switzer.

He had a restaurant in Dallas - near the corner of Midway/Beltline - named Yvette right about the time he left the Cowboys. I took a few friends/business associates there for Happy Hour right after it opened and there was like 4 people in the whole building. Nice big building too. Anyway, Barry comes walking over and says something to the effect, "thanks for bringing so many folks with ya to my place. First time in?" I said yeah, and invited him to sit down with us, thinking I was just making small talk. Be damned if Barry didn't sit down with us for about an hour and a half, bought several rounds, and me/him/us had a terrific time.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from SI on teams being hit with loses from early declaration for the NFL draft......They put OU in the "could've been much worse" category.

Key losses: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR; Jordan Phillips, DT

Jordan Phillips’ departure is cause for concern, as the elite defensive tackle -- a likely first-round pick -- will be tough to replace. But the pain of losing Phillips is offset by the return of linebacker Eric Striker and end Charles Tapper. Only Arizona’s Scooby Wright III topped Striker’s 17 tackles for loss among returning linebackers, and the junior led the Sooners with nine sacks. Tapper added 7.5 tackles for loss, three sacks and a forced fumble.

Dorial Green-Beckham’s early entry takes away some potential from Oklahoma next season, but it’s hard to consider him a loss. The program never knew what its offense would look like with the receiver outside of practices.

Actually, I view the lost of G-B as nothing but "good riddance" and "count your blessing" he didn't do a lot more harm than good category.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's never turn a blind eye to the FACT OU was home to the most renegade program in sports when Barry Switzer was the honcho.

Off the subject.....but I do like that crazy fucker, Switzer.

He had a restaurant in Dallas - near the corner of Midway/Beltline - named Yvette right about the time he left the Cowboys. I took a few friends/business associates there for Happy Hour right after it opened and there was like 4 people in the whole building. Nice big building too. Anyway, Barry comes walking over and says something to the effect, "thanks for bringing so many folks with ya to my place. First time in?" I said yeah, and invited him to sit down with us, thinking I was just making small talk. Be damned if Barry didn't sit down with us for about an hour and a half, bought several rounds, and me/him/us had a terrific time.

I've heard from quite a few in the know well connected OU folks that Switzer is the nicest and most cordial guy you'll ever meet. Switzers OU's days were before my sports conscience but I've certainly watched and ready plenty to know that his program turned blind eyes all over place but hey that's just the way it is and common place. I've mainly got to know of Switzer with his interactions between the Hardline and all his interviews and he seems like a riot and would be so great to just talk and hang out with.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Heupel named the OC at Utah State.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from SI on teams being hit with loses from early declaration for the NFL draft......They put OU in the "could've been much worse" category.

Key losses: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR; Jordan Phillips, DT

Jordan Phillips’ departure is cause for concern, as the elite defensive tackle -- a likely first-round pick -- will be tough to replace. But the pain of losing Phillips is offset by the return of linebacker Eric Striker and end Charles Tapper. Only Arizona’s Scooby Wright III topped Striker’s 17 tackles for loss among returning linebackers, and the junior led the Sooners with nine sacks. Tapper added 7.5 tackles for loss, three sacks and a forced fumble.

Dorial Green-Beckham’s early entry takes away some potential from Oklahoma next season, but it’s hard to consider him a loss. The program never knew what its offense would look like with the receiver outside of practices.

Actually, I view the lost of G-B as nothing but "good riddance" and "count your blessing" he didn't do a lot more harm than good category.

He was quite the orator after the Cowboys won the Super Bowl. That was embarrassing.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard from quite a few in the know well connected OU folks that Switzer is the nicest and most cordial guy you'll ever meet. Switzers OU's days were before my sports conscience but I've certainly watched and ready plenty to know that his program turned blind eyes all over place but hey that's just the way it is and common place. I've mainly got to know of Switzer with his interactions between the Hardline and all his interviews and he seems like a riot and would be so great to just talk and hang out with.

Anyone can say what they won't about Barry, and perhaps would be justified in saying so. But I'll sincerely tell you one thing about Switzer which is a 100% true......he's never pretentious.

What you see is what you get, and what you get is.....A Bootleggers Son. Nothing more or less, and he doesn't pretend to be anything but.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aggie gonna aggie.
Sumlin gave us Johnny Football. Your argument is invalid.

Not even sure what that first idiotic statement even means

What exactly did Sumlin let "Johnny get away with?" I know of one arrest the summer before he was the starter, when it was actually a friend who got into an altercation, and Manziel actually tried to prevent a fight, he was arrested for having a fake ID... other than that there was the alleged payment for autographs that was never confirmed by the NCAA, other than that, there's nothing... partying in Austin at a frat party? and people throwing beer at him?

Sumlin has dismissed 3 starters on defense (sure could've used those guys this year) since last season ended (Claiborne, Golden & Stansbury), also Kameron Miles a highly touted safety recruit was dismissed from the team as well, that's a heck of a blind eye

Don't let your bias get in the way of the facts

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry, but it is extremely naive to suggest Gary Patterson is a no-nonsense coach who kicks all bad apples off his team. He twice allowed Casey Pachall back on the team after felony drug arrests. He's built that program up from where it once was by changing TCU's former refusal of recruiting talented players who have character or legal issues surrounding them. There have been multiple scandals and arrests under Patterson's tenure with only a few extreme instances resulting in players getting kicked off the team. They've got guys on their team now who are worse than Johnny Football ever was at A&M (and I say that as someone who despises Johnny Manziel).

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but it is extremely naive to suggest Gary Patterson is a no-nonsense coach who kicks all bad apples off his team. He twice allowed Casey Pachall back on the team after felony drug arrests. He's built that program up from where it once was by changing TCU's former refusal of recruiting talented players who have character or legal issues surrounding them. There have been multiple scandals and arrests under Patterson's tenure with only a few extreme instances resulting in players getting kicked off the team. They've got guys on their team now who are worse than Johnny Football ever was at A&M (and I say that as someone who despises Johnny Manziel).

I was actually speaking about Stoops and Strong. Fuck Patterson, that whiny bitch.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Kyler Murray drama is over, thank goodness

It won't be over until he signs with ya next Wed.

I don't know this kid at all. But I have little patience nor respect for someone pulling all this drama nonsense leading up to D-Day.

It's not fair to either school IMO.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donaldson, your Vols had another damn nice recruiting class.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the odds Kyler Murray is drafted in the first round and opts to play major league baseball instead of heading to TAMU?