• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no chance I even consider a 1st for Thomas. I know a lot are torn on Thomas for a 2nd. How about a 3rd? i'd do a 3rd even if he won't sign a long term deal. I'm still a little torn on a second. I can't help thinking how great it would be for 2018, but long term it's a tough one to give up a 2nd and a big contract. But I think I'd do it and I think a chance it happens.

How about a 2019 2nd rounder for those of you that wouldn't do a 2nd this year?
only if he signed a 3 year extension that included a paycut to a reasonable level for this year

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only if he signed a 3 year extension that included a paycut to a reasonable level for this year
pay cut? He is getting a raise wherever he signs

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pay cut? He is getting a raise wherever he signs
then no chance without some payroll adjustments including signing Zack Martin and Demarcus Lawrence to long term contracts that reduce their 2018 cap hits and release/trade some others to clear sufficient money to cover his cap hit

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So post draft/trades at least on paper:

QB: All set, some nice insurance/backup QB battle
RB: Adding Tavon Austin and I like the Bama back
TE: Hopefully we got our guy and Rico is ready to step in.
WR: Great mix of guys that should be a better fit for Dak.
OLine: Stacked
D Line: Added another edge rusher and traded for the badly needed DT. They should be in real good shape.
LBs: Potentially top 5 in the league
Secondary: Our only true "weakness". Safety is still up in the air but I think our corners all progress

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, never liked the Switzer pick last year, never made a ton of sense to me. Seemed like a redundant skill set so I don't momi moving him.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys had a good but not great draft in my opinion.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17 guys

Player School Position

Dalton Sturm UT-San Antonio QB
Jordan Chunn Troy RB
Malik Earl Missouri State WR
Marchie Murdock Iowa State WR
David Wells San Diego State TE
Jake Campos Iowa State OL
Bryce Johnson St. Cloud State OL
Jashon Robertson Tennessee OL
Austin Larkin Purdue DE
DeQuinton Osborne Oklahoma State DT
Joel Lanning Iowa State LB
Ed Shockley Villanova LB
Donovan Olumba Portland State CB
Charvarius Ward Middle Tennessee State CB
Kyle Queiro Northwestern S
Tyree Robinson Oregon S
Kameron Kelly San Diego State S

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again just getting caught up - we did offer pick 81 for Earl Thomas. Just have a feeling he is going to be a Cowboy.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again just getting caught up - we did offer pick 81 for Earl Thomas. Just have a feeling he is going to be a Cowboy.
We did? I didn't hear that. To me that makes it less likely that he comes here if they turned it down. What are we going to give up to get him? I heard Sea wanted a pick now if they were going to lose him now. Not sure we'd give up next years 2nd and not sure they'd take it if they turned down a 3rd now.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did? I didn't hear that. To me that makes it less likely that he comes here if they turned it down. What are we going to give up to get him? I heard Sea wanted a pick now if they were going to lose him now. Not sure we'd give up next years 2nd and not sure they'd take it if they turned down a 3rd now.

Yes numerous people/ sites are reporting we offered a 3rd and never heard back. I just don't see him showing up for camp there and will end up holding out. I kind of wish he would not have done what he did after the game last Yr.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be the biggest reason we haven't addressed safety is the team refuses to see how bad Heath is. I've read quotes like this over and over. It's like they have handed him the job already and feel an upgrade isn't needed. How about a guy to compete with Heath and Frazier???

• The Cowboys did not draft a safety, perceived to be one of their larger needs entering the week, but they’ll continue to evaluate that position as the offseason goes on. Byron Jones is expected to move to cornerback, leaving Xavier Woods and Kavon Frazier as the primary safety candidates next to Jeff Heath. “I don’t know that we need numbers. I don’t think that’s the issue,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “We’ll obviously fill that in college free agency. I think the bigger question is, can we find a guy that can really compete with Xavier. I think at the end of the day, that was the goal in the draft and it didn’t work out that way. We’ll continue to look at options as we move forward and continue to see what happens within our roster. We do have corners that can play that position.” (Rob Phillips)

I suspect we may start kicking the tires on the free agent safeties again. Unless we make a move for Thomas I'd prefer to not spend too much there even if that means a lesser player. I also expect the team to perhaps play some of the corners at safety in the nickel regardless of what they call them. We may go one deep (Woods?) with Jones taking TEs, Awuzie outside, Lewis in the slot and Brown or one of the other guys on the opposite side. If Heath and Frazier rotate on early downs and play only as needed in the nickel we may still be fine.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be the biggest reason we haven't addressed safety is the team refuses to see how bad Heath is. I've read quotes like this over and over. It's like they have handed him the job already and feel an upgrade isn't needed. How about a guy to compete with Heath and Frazier???

• The Cowboys did not draft a safety, perceived to be one of their larger needs entering the week, but they’ll continue to evaluate that position as the offseason goes on. Byron Jones is expected to move to cornerback, leaving Xavier Woods and Kavon Frazier as the primary safety candidates next to Jeff Heath. “I don’t know that we need numbers. I don’t think that’s the issue,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “We’ll obviously fill that in college free agency. I think the bigger question is, can we find a guy that can really compete with Xavier. I think at the end of the day, that was the goal in the draft and it didn’t work out that way. We’ll continue to look at options as we move forward and continue to see what happens within our roster. We do have corners that can play that position.” (Rob Phillips)

I suspect we may start kicking the tires on the free agent safeties again. Unless we make a move for Thomas I'd prefer to not spend too much there even if that means a lesser player. I also expect the team to perhaps play some of the corners at safety in the nickel regardless of what they call them. We may go one deep (Woods?) with Jones taking TEs, Awuzie outside, Lewis in the slot and Brown or one of the other guys on the opposite side. If Heath and Frazier rotate on early downs and play only as needed in the nickel we may still be fine.
okay to do that we are going to have to clear some cap space. right now taking into account our top 51, our draft class and the 2 draft day trades we are over 4M over the salary cap. we are going to have to restructure, cut or something to clear not only the 4M but sufficient cap space to sign any one

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay to do that we are going to have to clear some cap space. right now taking into account our top 51, our draft class and the 2 draft day trades we are over 4M over the salary cap. we are going to have to restructure, cut or something to clear not only the 4M but sufficient cap space to sign any one
We will have sufficient cap space for a safety

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Washington overpaid for him. I also thought he was very good for us when he was healthy, which was not often

Terrell McClain - DL - Free Agent
Redskins released DL Terrell McClain.

McClain signed a "four-year, $21 million" contract last year which reportedly included guaranteed money this season, but ESPN's John Keim reports McClain's $3.25 million base salary was not guaranteed. Either way, McClain is looking for work following a lackluster one-year stop in Washington. DL A.J. Francis was also cut.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see us sign vaccarro to a cheap deal, then go after Thomas in FA next off season