• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we're not. but a lot of your opinion of JD seems to be based on "what ifs".
Not at all. It is based on what he has done. With everything considered I did say we could do a whole lot worse than him, but he hasn't earned my blind trust.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so here's a thought I just had:

Do the Rangers go into Spring Training with Dyson already installed as the closer? Or does Bush have a shot to earn it? Or (hypothetically) do the Rangers finally adopt the "best pitcher for the situation" approach?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so here's a thought I just had:

Do the Rangers go into Spring Training with Dyson already installed as the closer? Or does Bush have a shot to earn it? Or (hypothetically) do the Rangers finally adopt the "best pitcher for the situation" approach?
I am thinking Dyson has to fail several times before Bush is considered.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“I feel good about our club,” Daniels said. “If we opened up camp today or we open the season with this roster, we’ll be content with that. At the same time, we’re not going to close the door if there’s a right fit for the team and financially.”...

Whenever Daniels has told ownership that the Rangers need a player who would stretch the budget, the owners have ponied up. These owners are just as fond of Napoli as the front office is, and could probably search their couch cushions to find the extra millions needed.

But already in the organization are three young players who can play first base and whom the Rangers hold in high regard. The club needs to know if Ryan Rua, Jurickson Profar and Joey Gallo can be productive major-leaguers.

All three have big-league time, though Rua and Profar are far more experienced than Gallo, who some club officials expect will open 2017 at Triple A Round Rock. A Rua-Profar platoon at first base, Daniels said, could produce as much at the plate as Mitch Moreland did last season (.233 average, 22 homers, 60 RBIs).

Gallo has 40-homer power potential but is still working on making contact more regularly. He’s going to strike out a lot — even he concedes that — but the Rangers need to see if Gallo can realize his potential.

If so, the Rangers have either a first baseman for the next several seasons or a stop-gap first baseman who will become Beltre’s replacement once the third baseman retires.

The Rangers also believe that the offense is better than some detractors do after losing Ian Desmond, Carlos Beltran and Moreland. Club officials are buoyed by having Carlos Gomez and Jonathan Lucroy for a full season and by the return of Shin-Soo Choo from an injury-wrecked 2016...

Napoli has done all the things the Rangers believe Rua, Profar and Gallo might be able to do. So has Josh Hamilton, who will experiment at first base in spring training on a minor-league deal. He and Napoli have something in common: power.

Napoli slugged a career-high 34 home runs in 2016. His defense at first base is better, and that’s not insignificant considering that the Rangers are trying to fill the void of the Gold Glove-winning Moreland.

“I’m going to miss Mitch,” Beltre said. “He made me better.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were actually discussing moving Odor to LF and having Profar play 2B on the Norm Hitzges show this morning.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were actually discussing moving Odor to LF and having Profar play 2B on the Norm Hitzges show this morning.
They?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say they are likely going to open the season with the current roster. I think the spending has pretty much concluded, from the looks and sound of it. Just about 3 weeks or so until ST starts.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else here going to Spring Training this year? My buddy and I are headed there in late February.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See......it's not just us who think this option holds merit. ha

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, assuming the procedures are successful, his quality of life should actually improve to a certain degree.

Performing at the major league level is something else entirely. His body will have to heal and adapt on a basic level to what is more or less a rewiring of his digestive system, then he will have to see if he can manage the physical stress of being a professional athlete. Not impossible, but not a guarantee either.

Ironically I went to dinner last night with a doctor/friend of mine and she said exactly the same about his quality of life that you did.

However, she thinks he'll have no problem physically being fine to pitch again. She also said the biggest problem may be how his teammates are able to deal with him since this is a rather delicate situation. Frankly it sounded pretty gross and the team will have to accommodate him some in the locker room.

I'm wishing him well because she indicated his life has been more than unpleasant at times, and probably for years.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically I went to dinner last night with a doctor/friend of mine and she said exactly the same about his quality of life that you did.

However, she thinks he'll have no problem physically being fine to pitch again. She also said the biggest problem may be how his teammates are able to deal with him since this is a rather delicate situation. Frankly it sounded pretty gross and the team will have to accommodate him some in the locker room.

I'm wishing him well because she indicated his life has been more than unpleasant at times, and probably for years.
I bet the guys will do a good job of supporting him. Don't know what all is required but the club will likely provide all the privacy he might need. He could not have a better bunch to be associated with.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, I've read that given his condition, the fact that he was able to reach the majors at all seems to indicate that he is pretty damn resilient, and the odds are with him that he can return to the mound.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not the most enjoyable conversation to have at dinner, I would imagine.

Actually we "discussed" this before dinner. But must say, it sure sounds like the condition is horrid.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“I feel good about our club,” Daniels said. “If we opened up camp today or we open the season with this roster, we’ll be content with that. At the same time, we’re not going to close the door if there’s a right fit for the team and financially.”...

Whenever Daniels has told ownership that the Rangers need a player who would stretch the budget, the owners have ponied up. These owners are just as fond of Napoli as the front office is, and could probably search their couch cushions to find the extra millions needed.

But already in the organization are three young players who can play first base and whom the Rangers hold in high regard. The club needs to know if Ryan Rua, Jurickson Profar and Joey Gallo can be productive major-leaguers.

All three have big-league time, though Rua and Profar are far more experienced than Gallo, who some club officials expect will open 2017 at Triple A Round Rock. A Rua-Profar platoon at first base, Daniels said, could produce as much at the plate as Mitch Moreland did last season (.233 average, 22 homers, 60 RBIs).

Gallo has 40-homer power potential but is still working on making contact more regularly. He’s going to strike out a lot — even he concedes that — but the Rangers need to see if Gallo can realize his potential.

If so, the Rangers have either a first baseman for the next several seasons or a stop-gap first baseman who will become Beltre’s replacement once the third baseman retires.

The Rangers also believe that the offense is better than some detractors do after losing Ian Desmond, Carlos Beltran and Moreland. Club officials are buoyed by having Carlos Gomez and Jonathan Lucroy for a full season and by the return of Shin-Soo Choo from an injury-wrecked 2016...

Napoli has done all the things the Rangers believe Rua, Profar and Gallo might be able to do. So has Josh Hamilton, who will experiment at first base in spring training on a minor-league deal. He and Napoli have something in common: power.

Napoli slugged a career-high 34 home runs in 2016. His defense at first base is better, and that’s not insignificant considering that the Rangers are trying to fill the void of the Gold Glove-winning Moreland.

“I’m going to miss Mitch,” Beltre said. “He made me better.”
Gallo working on making more contact regularly. I hope so. 19 strikeouts in 25 at bats is unacceptable.