• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2013 Off Season Thread

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the season is done, can we start a comprehensive thread on the off season? Post any thoughts on your off season hopes, players you would like to see the Warriors acquire or just any general thoughts pertaining to off season questions.

I'll get it started. I know the Warriors are a bit strapped in the cap department but will have Jefferson and Biedrins expiring contracts to potentially deal. Lacob traded away pieces knowing that next season they expect to be in the tax.

If Landry opts out, I would like to see the Warriors try to make a move to trade Jefferson for Kris Humphries. Humphries was sent to the bench after the emergence of Andray Blatche. Blatche is a free agent and the Nets will likely hope to resign him. The Warriors could make the trade and take back a bigger contract in order to get a serviceable 4. Humphries rebounds and defends as well as has an ability to hit a mid range jumper. He's got a bum rap for being Mr. Kardashian, but he's still a good player who can be a good 4 off the bench. Jefferson would provide a few million in cap relief as well as bringing a veteran presence to their team. He may even be a rotational player with the struggles of Wallace.

Also two PG's I would be interested to see if were available in the offseason would be DJ Augustine and Eric Maynor. I think both are free agents and wouldn't cost a whole ton to sign. Both are good play makers and would be great additions to the team if not able to resign Jack.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the season is done, can we start a comprehensive thread on the off season? Post any thoughts on your off season hopes, players you would like to see the Warriors acquire or just any general thoughts pertaining to off season questions.

I'll get it started. I know the Warriors are a bit strapped in the cap department but will have Jefferson and Biedrins expiring contracts to potentially deal. Lacob traded away pieces knowing that next season they expect to be in the tax.

If Landry opts out, I would like to see the Warriors try to make a move to trade Jefferson for Kris Humphries. Humphries was sent to the bench after the emergence of Andray Blatche. Blatche is a free agent and the Nets will likely hope to resign him. The Warriors could make the trade and take back a bigger contract in order to get a serviceable 4. Humphries rebounds and defends as well as has an ability to hit a mid range jumper. He's got a bum rap for being Mr. Kardashian, but he's still a good player who can be a good 4 off the bench. Jefferson would provide a few million in cap relief as well as bringing a veteran presence to their team. He may even be a rotational player with the struggles of Wallace.

Also two PG's I would be interested to see if were available in the offseason would be DJ Augustine and Eric Maynor. I think both are free agents and wouldn't cost a whole ton to sign. Both are good play makers and would be great additions to the team if not able to resign Jack.

Is our working assumption that anyone the Warriors sign as a free agent, or trade for, must only have one year on their contract? Myers has made a big deal of being positioned to sign a big deal free agent when, theoretically, the Warriors will have enough cap space to do so next summer. If we sign or trade for anyone with a deal that extends beyond next year, that cap space could be compromised, at least to an extent. Or do we think that Myers will say, to hell with cap space if we can get a good enough player this year who will make waving bye-bye to the cap space worthwhile.

I could be wrong, but my assumption is that no one will take the contracts of either Biedrins or Jefferson without our taking on someone whose contract (or dubious skills or questionable cognitive ability or lack of work ethic) would be at least as problematic. Unless we included someone like a Barnes, of course.

For the record, I wouldn't trade for Humphries if it meant losing our cap space. Having said that, the last time I checked the list of next year's potential free agents, I wasn't particularly knocked out by what I saw, at least in terms of players that would fit our likely needs. There were a few potentially interesting RFA's, but RFA's are always a crap shoot.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is our working assumption that anyone the Warriors sign as a free agent, or trade for, must only have one year on their contract? Myers has made a big deal of being positioned to sign a big deal free agent when, theoretically, the Warriors will have enough cap space to do so next summer. If we sign or trade for anyone with a deal that extends beyond next year, that cap space could be compromised, at least to an extent. Or do we think that Myers will say, to hell with cap space if we can get a good enough player this year who will make waving bye-bye to the cap space worthwhile.

I could be wrong, but my assumption is that no one will take the contracts of either Biedrins or Jefferson without our taking on someone whose contract (or dubious skills or questionable cognitive ability or lack of work ethic) would be at least as problematic. Unless we included someone like a Barnes, of course.

For the record, I wouldn't trade for Humphries if it meant losing our cap space. Having said that, the last time I checked the list of next year's potential free agents, I wasn't particularly knocked out by what I saw, at least in terms of players that would fit our likely needs. There were a few potentially interesting RFA's, but RFA's are always a crap shoot.

The Warriors won't do any deals that impact their upcoming cap space for 2014. Humphries deal is also an expiring, so the Warriors wouldn't lose any cap space by trading either Jefferson or Biedrins in that scenario.

I don't think any free agent signings will be limited to 1 year deals, but the average annual salary for those free agents will have to be on the small side. The Warriors are already over the cap, so they won't have any room to sign any big name free agents anyways (other than manufacturing some sort of sign and trade).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. At least a little help with RFAs comes from having a winning core group. Granted, only a little and the fancy facilities won't be done until 2017. You made interesting points. I hope that the expirings will be useful at the deadline to grab some talent from a team looking to re-build with one of those underwhelming FAs. GMs fall in love with some interesting prospects. It would be nice to at least make the Conference Finals next year, and the current construction of the team (without Jack and Landry) is incapable of that. It all depends on who replaces them, if at all, and how the first half of the season goes. Thus potentially making the off-season very boring, for us.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the only room the Warriors will have to sign free agents may be the mid level exception, since they will be over the cap. So they have, at most 5M to sign a free agent.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. At least a little help with RFAs comes from having a winning core group. Granted, only a little and the fancy facilities won't be done until 2017. You made interesting points. I hope that the expirings will be useful at the deadline to grab some talent from a team looking to re-build with one of those underwhelming FAs. GMs fall in love with some interesting prospects. It would be nice to at least make the Conference Finals next year, and the current construction of the team (without Jack and Landry) is incapable of that. It all depends on who replaces them, if at all, and how the first half of the season goes. Thus potentially making the off-season very boring, for us.

I don't see us regressing MUCH (there's too much talent in the starting five), BUT if we lose both Landry and, especially, Jack, we could well fall back some next year. (I'm like I believe it was CitySushi who said Jack is basically gone...he wants to come back, we certainly want him back, but after the year he's had the money's just going to be too good for him to pass up and too much for us to match.) Remove Landry and Jack, and our bench starts looking very thin. Ezeli and Green are nice pieces, and we get Rush back (though after his injury just what we're getting back isn't clear). But otherwise, yikes. I think the offseason might actually be kind of depressing. It'll depend on if Myers can pull a rabbit out of his hat and make a trade or sign a free agent that will restore some of our lost depth. Given what seems to be out there, I'm not optimistic but we'll have to see.

The one likely chip in our favor is that we probably can buy a pick. There will surely be a team in the late 1st or early 2nd who either will have cap issues or who don't need anyone and don't want to stash someone overseas, and will say, sure, we'll take your $3 million. The problem is, we're no longer a team that will take just ANYONE. And at least when I look at the guys who might both be around the late 20's or the 30's AND who fills a need, and I'm not seeing much. Lots of tweener forwards, undersized points, 2's that can't shoot or create their own shot...meh. Maybe if Withey falls a bit. Or maybe Crabbe (but then I'm a Cal guy). Maybe some Euro I've never heard of.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see us regressing MUCH (there's too much talent in the starting five), BUT if we lose both Landry and, especially, Jack, we could well fall back some next year. (I'm like I believe it was CitySushi who said Jack is basically gone...he wants to come back, we certainly want him back, but after the year he's had the money's just going to be too good for him to pass up and too much for us to match.) Remove Landry and Jack, and our bench starts looking very thin. Ezeli and Green are nice pieces, and we get Rush back (though after his injury just what we're getting back isn't clear). But otherwise, yikes. I think the offseason might actually be kind of depressing. It'll depend on if Myers can pull a rabbit out of his hat and make a trade or sign a free agent that will restore some of our lost depth. Given what seems to be out there, I'm not optimistic but we'll have to see.

The one likely chip in our favor is that we probably can buy a pick. There will surely be a team in the late 1st or early 2nd who either will have cap issues or who don't need anyone and don't want to stash someone overseas, and will say, sure, we'll take your $3 million. The problem is, we're no longer a team that will take just ANYONE. And at least when I look at the guys who might both be around the late 20's or the 30's AND who fills a need, and I'm not seeing much. Lots of tweener forwards, undersized points, 2's that can't shoot or create their own shot...meh. Maybe if Withey falls a bit. Or maybe Crabbe (but then I'm a Cal guy). Maybe some Euro I've never heard of.

If we buy a pick I would really love to get Archie Goodwin. He's a real project, but he has the size and athleticism to excel at the NBA level. Shane Larkin is also an intriguing prospect for a backup PG as well.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we buy a pick I would really love to get Archie Goodwin. He's a real project, but he has the size and athleticism to excel at the NBA level. Shane Larkin is also an intriguing prospect for a backup PG as well.

Goodwin, maybe, but you're right, he's a big-time project. Larkin, not so much.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rush returning should be of some benefit.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely.

The Warriors need to:

1) Get healthy. Bogut/Lee/Curry need an offseason to get right again.

2) Get more experience. The Warriors are so damn young. The postseason will definitely pay dividends down the road. Barnes looks like a future star.

3) Get more athletic. Rush should help. Hopefully there are some cheap free agents bench players we can grab who can play key minutes against the quicker teams out there.

To the board: Any thoughts as to who would be the idea free agent to bring in in 2014?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally would like Tyreke Evans if Jack walks.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely.

The Warriors need to:

1) Get healthy. Bogut/Lee/Curry need an offseason to get right again.

2) Get more experience. The Warriors are so damn young. The postseason will definitely pay dividends down the road. Barnes looks like a future star.

3) Get more athletic. Rush should help. Hopefully there are some cheap free agents bench players we can grab who can play key minutes against the quicker teams out there.

To the board: Any thoughts as to who would be the idea free agent to bring in in 2014?

Rush is a lock down guy on defense as well. He knows how to move his feet. Hopefully the knee injury won't restrict some of that.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have enough Brandon Rushes on the team. We need size on the back end and a genuine "Go to" guy when Curry is under wraps.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Rush but I consider him just another swing man. I'll watch him closer when he comes back.

Rush is a lock down guy on defense as well. He knows how to move his feet. Hopefully the knee injury won't restrict some of that.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have enough Brandon Rushes on the team. We need size on the back end and a genuine "Go to" guy when Curry is under wraps.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Rush but I consider him just another swing man. I'll watch him closer when he comes back.

I see what you did there...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:laugh3: :laugh3:
Outstanding

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per MT2, he said it sounds as if Myers might be planning to stand pat with this roster. Obviously some changes will be affected by Landry and Jack, but there aren't really any plans to overhaul the roster or make any big splashes. I think this may have to do with GSW being a black hole for NBA players. Previously the only guys we could ever get were the selfish number getters looking to increase their pay on to their next contract or over paid under producing players. I'm thinking Myers is factoring all this in for next years free agency.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodwin, maybe, but you're right, he's a big-time project. Larkin, not so much.

Combine reports that Larkin helped his stock a lot with his shooting and athleticism, while Goodwin probably had one of the worst showings at the Combine because of his shooting.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Mark Jackson the Warriors 52nd pick this year, Ognjen Kuzmic will be playing with the Warriors in the Summer League. I haven't seen or heard much about him but he's 23, 7-1" and 231lbs. Doesn't look like he's much of a difference maker, but at least they can take a good look at him against fringe NBA players.

This was the only video I found of him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_AtCNZJaI

Here are his most recent stats from overseas:
Ognjen Kuzmic Player Profile, baloncesto, basquetbol, basquet, FIATC Joventut, International Stats, Game Logs - EUROBASKET

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man, you know I feel bad for that cat who posted those comments - I mean, it sounds like it's a borderline with a borderline personality disorder.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Combine reports that Larkin helped his stock a lot with his shooting and athleticism, while Goodwin probably had one of the worst showings at the Combine because of his shooting.

My objection to Larkin isn't about athleticism or shooting, it's more that he's a smurf. We've already got a smallish point, I don't think we want someone who's even more vertically challenged. But that's my bias.