• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2013 Off Season Thread

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Warriors are still hoping to resign Jack, but now Eric Maynor (a guy I liked for our team) has signed with the Wizards. Reasonable deal too.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome to see the Kings offer Iggy a boatload then tell him to kick rocks because they can't wait on an answer.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome to see the Kings offer Iggy a boatload then tell him to kick rocks because they can't wait on an answer.

If Iggy was about getting paid, that was likely the best offer (by far) that he's going to receive on the market. He'll probably be looking at a 4 year, 44M deal at best going forward. After this escapade, I think the Nuggets are very much the front runners to resign him.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per MT2, Warriors trying to talk to Josh Smith now too. Josh Smith probably doesn't have much interest, but the Warriors are flooding the market with their pursuits of FA's.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per MT2, Warriors trying to talk to Josh Smith now too. Josh Smith probably doesn't have much interest, but the Warriors are flooding the market with their pursuits of FA's.

I just hope they sign/trade for the right guy. No need to be impatient. The team made great strides last year, and has a solid young core, a good center (when healthy), and a good (soon to be great?) coach. I like that they're being aggressive; of course, some of the past aggressive moves are why our cap situation is all screwed up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope they sign/trade for the right guy. No need to be impatient. The team made great strides last year, and has a solid young core, a good center (when healthy), and a good (soon to be great?) coach. I like that they're being aggressive; of course, some of the past aggressive moves are why our cap situation is all screwed up.
Will the Warriors get Dwight Howard? What are your thoughts?

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's something to be said about chemistry, 12'-13' had it, even with La Tax and RJ eating up valuable cap space.

Apparently Iggy didn't want to jump to the West Coast at any cost,

After D12 signs, I'm sure the 2nd and 3rd tier FA's will start signing aswell

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously doubtful. That said, the fact that the Warriors have any chance at all shows how much the rep of this organization has changed. We used to be the laughing stock of the league (well, one one of them anyway). Now we're getting respect and an attentive ear from the most prized free agent available (despite having no cap room).

The future is bright for this team. Not sure how next season will go at this point, given the likely loss of key reserves and the inexperience of many players. But with all the young talent and future cap room, I'm very optimistic about the future.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I actually think the answer to this is "yes". May just be talking myself into it.

The Warriors are a perfect team situation for him - he will own the paint. He has a solid PF partner (Lee) who relishes playing in the high post - Gasol hated it. He has 2 young gunners who are going to keep defenses honest, and another potential star in Barnes.

The locker room is great - Curry is the leader of it, but he is not a "shut me down, alpha"-type of guy. He'll get along just fine with Howard, he isn't going to fight Howard for attention. Lee is a worker, including in the locker room, and will be fine. Thompson and Barnes are nice, quiet kids. And the magic in the locker room is Mark Jackson. Everybody will pull together behind him.

Howard will actually be the second-oldest of the starters, only Lee will be older. The starters will largely look up to him, but it will almost be as equals.

The Bay Area is also a great fit for him. Lots of opportunity for exposure to technology - a big market, but not THE big market. Just enough of an in-between. Not living in the city (either one), I don't know how much of a night life there is for guys with interests like he probably has, that is one area that could be a drawback for him. Of course, if a big priority for him is "where can I party," then I don't necessarily want to go too far to get him.

To me, it's the best fit. The only other alternative has holes. Who is Houston's PF? Is Lin really going to help lead anybody to a title? Harden's great, but really, what else do they have that you see as worthy of starting on a championship-level team?

I think this is going to happen. Which means, of course, that it won't.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I actually think the answer to this is "yes". May just be talking myself into it.

The Warriors are a perfect team situation for him - he will own the paint. He has a solid PF partner (Lee) who relishes playing in the high post - Gasol hated it. He has 2 young gunners who are going to keep defenses honest, and another potential star in Barnes.

The locker room is great - Curry is the leader of it, but he is not a "shut me down, alpha"-type of guy. He'll get along just fine with Howard, he isn't going to fight Howard for attention. Lee is a worker, including in the locker room, and will be fine. Thompson and Barnes are nice, quiet kids. And the magic in the locker room is Mark Jackson. Everybody will pull together behind him.

Howard will actually be the second-oldest of the starters, only Lee will be older. The starters will largely look up to him, but it will almost be as equals.

The Bay Area is also a great fit for him. Lots of opportunity for exposure to technology - a big market, but not THE big market. Just enough of an in-between. Not living in the city (either one), I don't know how much of a night life there is for guys with interests like he probably has, that is one area that could be a drawback for him. Of course, if a big priority for him is "where can I party," then I don't necessarily want to go too far to get him.

To me, it's the best fit. The only other alternative has holes. Who is Houston's PF? Is Lin really going to help lead anybody to a title? Harden's great, but really, what else do they have that you see as worthy of starting on a championship-level team?

I think this is going to happen. Which means, of course, that it won't.

LMAO. It's a great analysis and and even better closing argument.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after all is said and done, how much cap space do we really have?

I keep hearing about possible trade exceptions, but do we have enough space to get a solid back up 1 and 4?

You hear names like Calderon, Millsap, lesser FA like Brandon Wright, Nate Robinson, how about AK47?

Can we throw our mini exception / mid level at one or two of these guys?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So after all is said and done, how much cap space do we really have?

I keep hearing about possible trade exceptions, but do we have enough space to get a solid back up 1 and 4?

You hear names like Calderon, Millsap, lesser FA like Brandon Wright, Nate Robinson, how about AK47?

Can we throw our mini exception / mid level at one or two of these guys?

Just a quick and dirty run through the numbers tells me that the Dubs have about $5.5 mil in cap space right now. And, technically, I am going to say that with the cap holds for Jack and Landry, that we technically don't have any space left.

Once Golden State renounces its rights to both players, then the team can sign a FA point guard (or PF). That should just about take the team to the cap. once the team is over the cap, then the mid-level exception will kick in and Golden State will be able to sign another FA (or two, if they split the MLE). The team also still has its veterans' exception, IIRC. That is a base salary exception that will allow the team to sign a warm body to fill a roster spot.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a quick and dirty run through the numbers tells me that the Dubs have about $5.5 mil in cap space right now. And, technically, I am going to say that with the cap holds for Jack and Landry, that we technically don't have any space left.

Once Golden State renounces its rights to both players, then the team can sign a FA point guard (or PF). That should just about take the team to the cap. once the team is over the cap, then the mid-level exception will kick in and Golden State will be able to sign another FA (or two, if they split the MLE). The team also still has its veterans' exception, IIRC. That is a base salary exception that will allow the team to sign a warm body to fill a roster spot.

Per HoopsWorld's salary information, which is remarkably up-to-date, we're basically right up against the cap already: Golden State Warriors Team Salary | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

We have $56.1M guaranteed to 8 players (top 6 guys, plus Green and Ezeli), plus $3.5M in non-guaranteed deals (Bazemore, Machado, Dwayne Jones, and Kevin Murphy). However, even if we cut them, there will be cap holds placed for 4 spots to fill out the minimum roster size of 12, each cap hold being for the league minimum which is just under $500k. So even if we cut those 4, holds will be placed that put us back up over $58M. And that's not counting our first rounder, Nedovic, who will get $880k. The salary cap is right around $59M, so we have no money to spend on free agents being purely under the cap.

It's not clear to me what kind of "standard" exceptions (e.g. MLE, bi-annual exemption) we're eligible for at this point. That needs to be sorted out.

The other thing to be sorted out is that we probably got a very large TPE (Traded Player Exception) because of the massive salary we traded to Utah while getting virtually no salary back. You can't sign free agents with it. However, you can make very lop-sided trades. I suspect we might see one of those, in which we take back more salary.

One final thing - Jack and Landry are both almost certainly gone. The Warriors would have had to renounce Jack's Bird rights in order to remove his cap hold in order to have the cap space to sign Iggy. I believe we could re-sign him, but only with whatever exceptions we end up with as this is sorted out. I think it's the same with Landry, although when he opted out, I think we lost his Bird rights anyway.

What a day.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The move also gets the Warriors out of the Luxury tax, and allows them to be players again next year for a few more pieces to add. I believe we also get a rather large exception that would allow the Warriors to trade for another player mid-season to a team looking to get under the tax or are simply just having a fire-sale.

I love adding Iggy. The underrated aspect of having him is that it allows Curry to play more off the ball and let Iggy facilitate the offense. He just gives us so much versatility.

We still need to address a backup big spot. I like Green, but I think we need one more big man to help out Lee and Bogut.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quick update on the two departing players from Golden State:

Jarrett Jack is going to be a Cavalier and Landry will be a King.

Jack is getting 4/$25 from Cleveland and Landry is getting 4/$26 from Sacramento.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick update on the two departing players from Golden State:

Jarrett Jack is going to be a Cavalier and Landry will be a King.

Jack is getting 4/$25 from Cleveland and Landry is getting 4/$26 from Sacramento.

Random thoughts:

1) Seems like a lot of dough for each player.

2) Bummed that both guys got a taste of winning, only to find themselves on teams in rebuild mode.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Random thoughts:

1) Seems like a lot of dough for each player.

2) Bummed that both guys got a taste of winning, only to find themselves on teams in rebuild mode.

Wanna know why statement #2 is true? See statement #1.

I like both guys but neither will put up numbers for their new teams that they did for the Dubs.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Kaman is officially off the market. He agreed to a 1 year, 3.2m deal with the Lakers. It's too bad the Warriors weren't able to get this guy. I think he would have made a great fit on our team.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Kaman is officially off the market. He agreed to a 1 year, 3.2m deal with the Lakers. It's too bad the Warriors weren't able to get this guy. I think he would have made a great fit on our team.

That's pretty sad, always thought Kaman was a decent player who could finish with both hands. Not sure why he chose LA, nostalgia?

No one has brought up Brand this offseason much, his "wingspan" should still be there, there was a time we would have killed to have him in our uni.

A similar offer gets EB to back up the 4/5 for us?