• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Thread

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clock is running out on getting a long -term deal done with DT before this season begins.

Klee: Demaryius Thomas standoff offers no easy solution for Denver Broncos

Don't know what the solution is, but I know I hope that Thomas is a Broncos for the next several years. At the same time, I realize that taking care of the cap is important and that stellar young WRs enter the league each year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clock is running out on getting a long -term deal done with DT before this season begins.

Klee: Demaryius Thomas standoff offers no easy solution for Denver Broncos

Don't know what the solution is, but I know I hope that Thomas is a Broncos for the next several years. At the same time, I realize that taking care of the cap is important and that stellar young WRs enter the league each year.

Good read TD. Truly I am torn on the DT front. There is the whole he is an elite player side of it and well teams should be in the business of keeping their elite players. There is the he has been one of the most durable receivers in the league over the last 3 years and has put up stats that rival that of some of the HOF players before him.

On the other side though is the last 3 Super Bowls have had teams that didn't have a 1000 yard receiver on their team. So an elite receiver is not usually one of the top needs to win the Super Bowl. There is the whole Broncos invested a premium pick in a player in Latimer who has shown glimpses of greatness so then why pay a guy maybe $15 million when his replacement could already be on the roster for maybe $1 million?

Again I am torn on this one and almost hope that he plays on his Tag and give us a year to see if Latimer can fill his shoes. IF so then put that money towards another position. If not then you know he has to be a priority long-term.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was reading an article the other day that I thought was very interesting when it came to our OL and more importantly to how Kubiak designs his OL to work. Essentially one of the biggest differences from last year to this year which I think will be huge for our guys is you will see a lot more of the blocking as an entire unit compared to that of one on one moments. The point of the ZBS is that of an entire unit working in unity to set up a perfect hole for the RB. Essentially they are working to put most of the bodies at the point of attack instead of having 5 individuals trying to block someone. This honestly sets up perfectly for an OL that is as inexperienced as ours because if a guy makes a mistake it hurts but not to the point of his guy is always in the backfield then because most plays especially running plays OL guys are usually blocking two to a player then shedding off to the second level as the block is secured. It is definitely going to have its growing pains but if there is a way for our OL to actually have success this year I think the Kubiak ZBS is one of the best we could have.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a question. Who's going to be the workhorse RB this year for the Broncos? Have a debate going go about this in the FF forum and I figured you folks would be a good source for facts about this. FYI I got C.J. Anderson as the workhorse. Maybe nobody is the workhorse and it's a committee effort?

Thoughts?

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far it looks like CJ is going to at least be given the opportunity to be the work horse heading into season. Denver's situation at this point is kinda iffy as to whether it transpires into more of a committee scheme. I would have to lean more in favor of CJ getting the bulk of plays though.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read TD. Truly I am torn on the DT front. There is the whole he is an elite player side of it and well teams should be in the business of keeping their elite players. There is the he has been one of the most durable receivers in the league over the last 3 years and has put up stats that rival that of some of the HOF players before him.

On the other side though is the last 3 Super Bowls have had teams that didn't have a 1000 yard receiver on their team. So an elite receiver is not usually one of the top needs to win the Super Bowl. There is the whole Broncos invested a premium pick in a player in Latimer who has shown glimpses of greatness so then why pay a guy maybe $15 million when his replacement could already be on the roster for maybe $1 million?

Again I am torn on this one and almost hope that he plays on his Tag and give us a year to see if Latimer can fill his shoes. IF so then put that money towards another position. If not then you know he has to be a priority long-term.

I've thought a lot about the DT situation and honestly I'd rather see him walk than see the Broncos over value him and over pay. What DT needs to understand is he can be replaced. An "elite" WR can be had anywhere with the right scheme and QB. And take a look at the teams that truly feature "elite" WRs. The Broncos are by far the most successful, with a 2-3 playoff record in the last three seasons. Sure, one of those included a Super Bowl appearance, but we all know how that went. Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant are the other two "elite" WRs and the Lions and Cowboys, despite both having good seasons last year, are hardly teams anyone would consider successful during the tenure of these players.

Meanwhile look at the Ravens, Seahawks and Patriots. They've all had solid WRs, but none featured "elite" WRs.

DT can be replaced. I'm over-sick of these players holding out. Elway is right: There is no value added to DT sitting out. None at all. All the talk about "getting paid" or "possible injuries" or whatever other excuses these assholes make is a steaming pile of manure. As long as DT is in orange, I'll be glad he's ours. But he is holding out on the team I love. Until he puts his own selfishness aside, he can go ____ himself. It's not like he can't be replaced.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've thought a lot about the DT situation and honestly I'd rather see him walk than see the Broncos over value him and over pay. What DT needs to understand is he can be replaced. An "elite" WR can be had anywhere with the right scheme and QB. And take a look at the teams that truly feature "elite" WRs. The Broncos are by far the most successful, with a 2-3 playoff record in the last three seasons. Sure, one of those included a Super Bowl appearance, but we all know how that went. Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant are the other two "elite" WRs and the Lions and Cowboys, despite both having good seasons last year, are hardly teams anyone would consider successful during the tenure of these players.

Meanwhile look at the Ravens, Seahawks and Patriots. They've all had solid WRs, but none featured "elite" WRs.

DT can be replaced. I'm over-sick of these players holding out. Elway is right: There is no value added to DT sitting out. None at all. All the talk about "getting paid" or "possible injuries" or whatever other excuses these assholes make is a steaming pile of manure. As long as DT is in orange, I'll be glad he's ours. But he is holding out on the team I love. Until he puts his own selfishness aside, he can go ____ himself. It's not like he can't be replaced.

Well said, ikf. I completely agree.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't somebody post recently that the last 3 SB winning teams did not have a 1000yd wr on roster? I agree. If DT wants to be a pain, move him.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much easier to say that Thomas is replaceable than it is to actually replace him, in my opinion. I've been high on Sanders since he was in college, was thrilled when we got him as a FA, and have high hopes for Latimer. But to just assume that what DT brings to the table is readily replacable strikes me as naive. Not many guys in the league are in his league, in my opinion. As much as anyone wants to say that we should let him walk, he's a diva, et al., he is a stud.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one player is bigger than the team. To believe the team, which is transitioning to a run heavy offense anyway, will be able to overcome the absence of DT in future years is far from naive. Like I already said, of the league's consensus top 3 WRs, DT plays for the most successful team by a long shot. The Lions and Cowboys are decidedly mediocre and that's after solid seasons for each of them last year raised their average.

I would like to see DT remain a Bronco. But I think he's over-valuing himself and I hope Elway is firm enough to avoid over paying for the guy. Especially when "good enough" options are entering the league every year. WR is one of the most easily replaced positions in the game.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don`t think anyone here or anywhere else doesn`t think DT is a valuable talent but do you lose 3-4 important pieces to your team to sign him? I just have a hard time justifying sacrificing multiple players for a position that has certainly proved in the past and with current "elite" wrs teams out there, that you can win a championship without a bank breaking 1000 + yd wr. The last 3 SB`s has proved that. Good coaching, running game and solid D has been the key mostly. If Denver was in a better position to sign him to the "Megatron" contract he is seeking,Maybe. But, they are not and I don`t want to see any quality Denver players sacrificed for one player unless it`s a Qb that is essential to winning.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five Broncos made this year's NFL Net list of top-100 players. Sanders (95), Ware (87), Miller (33). Thomas (20), and Manning (5).

Five Broncos make NFL Network's Top 100

The article just lists what some players in the league have to say those five players.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to go along with that above post by TD (thank you by the way for posting all these articles) PFF put out their top-101 players of 2014 and the Broncos had 7 in the top-60. Manning actually was not one of them. Should show the talent this team has beyond Manning.

Also great article about DeMarcus Ware and his off season. Has me very excited for his second year in Denver! DeMarcus Ware Reminds Us What a Physical Marvel He Is

Essentially this is the first year in a while that Ware has been healthy during the off season so he said that he is actually reaching some personal best goals in his training even at the age of 33. Just as a point of reference he said that this off season he still has a vertical jump of 38" Only 6 players in the combine this last year would have beat that at his position of DE/LB.

I'm actually starting to think he could be better this year than last not only because of having a full off season to work out but you add in switching back to the defense that made him one of the top defensive players in the entire league plus having a quality back up that can give him some rest keeping him ready the entire season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is another great article about some questions that the Broncos have heading into training camp in less than 3 weeks! So glad football is almost back!

Denver Broncos Pre-Training Camp Thoughts

One part that I loved in this article is that of the thoughts on the OL having a very long training camp with the guys they have to go up against all practice long. While I do think there are going to be some major growing pains they also shouldn't face a better pass rush than the one they will face in practice every day. The coaches should get a very clear picture of where teams will want to attack and how we should try to counter that.

One part though that I don't completely agree with is that of Manning struggling only because of his injury. I do think it went beyond that. A few things that have slowly been leaked is that of Manning stopped trusting his OL with the team switching so often of who was starting. He was very frustrated with all the changes on the OL as it made it much harder to communicate from one week to the next. I would also say then the switch to him under Center midway through the year was just as much to blame as the injury. Manning has spent most of his career playing in the shotgun so switching midway through the season to a whole different style of offense is hugely negative for a guy like Manning who is all about timing and reps. From what I have read and some of the reading between the lines by me (which hey I could definitely be wrong) Manning just was not happy with how everything unfolded this past year. At least this time around he has an entire off season of working under Center to be ready for switching between that and being in Shotgun.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to go along with that above post by TD (thank you by the way for posting all these articles) PFF put out their top-101 players of 2014 and the Broncos had 7 in the top-60. Manning actually was not one of them. Should show the talent this team has beyond Manning.

Also great article about DeMarcus Ware and his off season. Has me very excited for his second year in Denver! DeMarcus Ware Reminds Us What a Physical Marvel He Is

Essentially this is the first year in a while that Ware has been healthy during the off season so he said that he is actually reaching some personal best goals in his training even at the age of 33. Just as a point of reference he said that this off season he still has a vertical jump of 38" Only 6 players in the combine this last year would have beat that at his position of DE/LB.

I'm actually starting to think he could be better this year than last not only because of having a full off season to work out but you add in switching back to the defense that made him one of the top defensive players in the entire league plus having a quality back up that can give him some rest keeping him ready the entire season.

Enjoyed that article about Ware, CD. Very promising that he is in such great shape and, as you note, getting a chance to play in the same defense (and with the same DC) in which he excelled for so long in Dallas. I particularly got a kick out of his last sentence in this quote:

"“I’m doing things right now I could never do before,” Ware said. “I’m benching 315 fifteen times. Power cleaning 405 four or five times. I’m still vertical jumping 38 (inches). My body has matured.”"

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is another great article about some questions that the Broncos have heading into training camp in less than 3 weeks! So glad football is almost back!

Denver Broncos Pre-Training Camp Thoughts

One part that I loved in this article is that of the thoughts on the OL having a very long training camp with the guys they have to go up against all practice long. While I do think there are going to be some major growing pains they also shouldn't face a better pass rush than the one they will face in practice every day. The coaches should get a very clear picture of where teams will want to attack and how we should try to counter that.

One part though that I don't completely agree with is that of Manning struggling only because of his injury. I do think it went beyond that. A few things that have slowly been leaked is that of Manning stopped trusting his OL with the team switching so often of who was starting. He was very frustrated with all the changes on the OL as it made it much harder to communicate from one week to the next. I would also say then the switch to him under Center midway through the year was just as much to blame as the injury. Manning has spent most of his career playing in the shotgun so switching midway through the season to a whole different style of offense is hugely negative for a guy like Manning who is all about timing and reps. From what I have read and some of the reading between the lines by me (which hey I could definitely be wrong) Manning just was not happy with how everything unfolded this past year. At least this time around he has an entire off season of working under Center to be ready for switching between that and being in Shotgun.

Interesting thoughts on how shuffling the o-line might have adversely affected PM down the stretch last year. Definitely seems plausible to me, so, of course, I'm hoping that we are able to identify our best unit in training camp and allow those five guys to develop into a cohesive group. Would also really be awesome to have the good luck to avoid further injury, of course.

The first item discussed in that article -- what role will Latimer play? -- could be huge, not only ib terms of the team's success this year, but how it might affect contract negotiations with DT, assuming that we don't reach a deal with him in the next few days.

Also enjoyed the discussion about guys coming out of nowhere to perhaps make the roster. Mason, Brandon, and Patton all seem like interesting possibilities.

Finally, I am intrigued by the assertion that Bibbs has a shot to make the 53-man. I know that he was a very good player in college and he showed promise last summer, but it seems to me that we have a lot of depth at RB. Can't wait for camp!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports today are that the Broncos and DT will not reach an agreement before the July 15th deadline. The two sides are still far apart. Now the question maybe becomes will DT be like Bryant and threaten to hold out even into the season? I really hope not. I think that is one of the worst things a player can do as all that does is cost the player money, fans their respect towards the player, and makes it that much harder to sign that player the next year because of a destroyed relationship.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports today are that the Broncos and DT will not reach an agreement before the July 15th deadline. The two sides are still far apart. Now the question maybe becomes will DT be like Bryant and threaten to hold out even into the season? I really hope not. I think that is one of the worst things a player can do as all that does is cost the player money, fans their respect towards the player, and makes it that much harder to sign that player the next year because of a destroyed relationship.

Very disappointing that DT is apparently unwilling to compromise. Big task, but I really hope that Latimer or one of our other WRs (Bennie Fowler?) shows that DT is not worth killing our cap.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember DT saying earlier this year that if no long-term is reached he will sign the franchise tag and play. Hopefully that is still his plan.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very disappointing that DT is apparently unwilling to compromise. Big task, but I really hope that Latimer or one of our other WRs (Bennie Fowler?) shows that DT is not worth killing our cap.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed as well. From the sound of things DT wants money that is equal to that of Calvin Johnson. He went on NFL Network earlier this off season if I remember right and kept talking about how he would take a hometown discount. If that is the case then I can't imagine what he actually wants on the open market. I mean he is wanting to completely lap the rest of the WR market if that is the case. I'm starting to reach the point of just say "let him play on the FT then let him walk for the money." I just don't value the WR position all that much and would much rather if we are to spend big money spend that on Von Miller. He is the one true game changer on our team that they have shown when he is out we go from a top-5 defense to that of middle of the pack or worse. That is a true impact player that we need to keep.