• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So figured since there will be a ton of things happening over the next few months we could have one thread to put any kind of transactions for the team into. We already know the coaches we have hired so far so won't list them.

The Broncos did sign a player today though in Tevrin Bandon. He is a Cornerback who played for Uconn and Monmouth. He ran a 4.35 at his pro day last year. Most likely doesn't make the team but hey we have seen this team develop some of these very raw players into something great. Physical skills wise he would have done well at last year's combine.

He would have finished 1st in the 40 yd. dash among corners, 10th on the bench press, 15th on the vertical jump, 9th on broad jump, and 3rd on 3-cone drill. Now obviously physical skills don't always translate to the field but should show they have something to work with.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first thing I thought of after reading a 4.35 40 was kick/punt returner.

It will be fun watching what the team does this year in FA and draft. We don't have the cap room we have had in the past but should have enough to grab some decent talent. And the draft could see us loading up on O-line and D-line.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nice thing for the Broncos is they are expected to have 10 picks in this upcoming draft. Elway has never had this much to work with for the draft. So while yes we don't have quite as much FA wise as we have had in the past we also haven't quite had the firepower in the draft like we have to move around and really get the guys we want. I agree I think the Draft we will see maybe 3 picks used just on the OL with at least one of those being a high pick (first 3 rounds).

Also I forgot to include that but he was a kick off returner for the Monmouth team and did pretty darn well with it. He also was like Roby in college in the guy on the outside on punt returns that was given the ability to attack the punter and blocked at least a couple of punts in college. So the guy has some promise of making the team as a role player. Not sure I see much in terms of starting but hey we had Tony Carter on our team this past year so there is room to upgrade the Corner position.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Denvers pks in the draft CD, did I see we don`t have a fourth this yr or?

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Denvers pks in the draft CD, did I see we don`t have a fourth this yr or?

Currently, Denver does not have a 4th round pick. However they are projected to gain a 4th round comp pick in exchange for losing DRC.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are expected to get a 4th, 2 6th, and a 7th round pick for comp picks in the upcoming draft. Our original 4th round and 7th round picks have been traded though and we gained an extra 5th round pick.

So come draft time we should have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2 5th's, 3 6th's, and a 7th

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as draft picks go, I generally prefer quality over quantity, so I wouldn't mind seeing us package some picks together to move up spots, as needed of course. And usually the players that teams are looking at don't happen to fall right into their draft pick range, so there is a good chance that we will do just that.

On the other hand, we will likely be transitioning to more of a 3-4 base defense, so that will require using some picks, not to mention the move to a ZBS on offense. Damn, now that I think about it, we might need more picks.

2-3 picks on OL and 2-3 picks on DL and LBs, plus possibly S, TE, and WR. Maybe QB. Damn, for such a loaded team, we need more draft picks.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. They`re in good position to sit on pks or move up. FA aquisitions will certainly dictate how they go about the draft but they seem to be in good shape to do either.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are expected to get a 4th, 2 6th, and a 7th round pick for comp picks in the upcoming draft. Our original 4th round and 7th round picks have been traded though and we gained an extra 5th round pick.

So come draft time we should have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2 5th's, 3 6th's, and a 7th

Keep in mind, the comp picks are currently only projections. The NFL's actual formula for determining who gets what is rather complicated and secret. This information comes from Over The Cap, and they hit correct projections last year on 27 out of 32 teams, so they at least have a good model to predict with.

Also, comp picks can not be dealt.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind, the comp picks are currently only projections. The NFL's actual formula for determining who gets what is rather complicated and secret. This information comes from Over The Cap, and they hit correct projections last year on 27 out of 32 teams, so they at least have a good model to predict with.

Also, comp picks can not be dealt.

You are right this is more a guestimate at this time but like you said they are usually pretty accurate so somebody has figured out at least part of the formula the NFL uses. Still not sure why they think they have to keep that a secret.

And you are right we cannot trade them. It does however give us more freedom to work with the picks we do have that can be traded knowing we will still have those other 4 picks. So we can do some moving up and down. Honestly at this point unless somebody crazy falls to us that nobody expected in the upcoming draft I wouldn't mind trading back a bit. I think some team is going to want a quarterback at the end of the 1st since they can lock them in for 5-years. Guys like Bryce Petty, Garrett Grayson, and Brett Hundley will get hyped up and my guess is one of them is a 1st round pick. This would help us get back our 4th round pick and give us a little more ammunition to move around in those midrounds. Looking at this draft there seems to be about 20 OL and DL players that all are very close at this time in value. Being able to trade back and get 2 instead of just 1 of them gives us decent odds. Might not get an all star player but hey not like the must have prospects make it to pick 28 anyway.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they go after Patrick Willis in Fa like I saw one article suggest. Willis to dominate the middle and Trev and Marshall to work the edges would be a very formidable lb core. If in a:)

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they go after Patrick Willis in Fa like I saw one article suggest. Willis to dominate the middle and Trev and Marshall to work the edges would be a very formidable lb core. If in a:)

Don't think that would fit the style of defense. I imagine if we have a true 3-4 installed, Willis would occupy one of the ILB spots (along with Trev/Marshall) with Miller and Ware at the OLB positions. Then you have Jackson, Wolfe, Knighton, Williams in a front line rotation of sorts.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D. Thomas spoke up today about our playoff loss and what he said honestly has me pretty furious at our team. He said that some players just looked past the Colts and thought we were just going to win. I think this secures it even more why John Fox and the other guys are all gone. That type of attitude trickles from the top down. When our coaches are off doing interviews and sounds like many of them already had jobs lined up before our playoff game and then we see our players play with very little fire it just shows how much there was a need of change in the Bronco culture. They need somebody who can focus these guys and light a fire under them to understand what the heck the playoffs mean of win or go home.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D. Thomas spoke up today about our playoff loss and what he said honestly has me pretty furious at our team. He said that some players just looked past the Colts and thought we were just going to win. I think this secures it even more why John Fox and the other guys are all gone. That type of attitude trickles from the top down. When our coaches are off doing interviews and sounds like many of them already had jobs lined up before our playoff game and then we see our players play with very little fire it just shows how much there was a need of change in the Bronco culture. They need somebody who can focus these guys and light a fire under them to understand what the heck the playoffs mean of win or go home.

I don`t know how many times I posted " The team looks like their on valium" in the last couple yrs in big games esp and said somebody isn`t motivating these guys. If I had a dollar for everytime I vented that... Guess I`m going to have to go bold caps from now on:)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With FA just a little over a month away any certain players you have your eyes on for us to sign? I know a lot of our money is going to go in house but honestly the Broncos could get creative this year and sign more than people think. I mean consider that say Manning does come back this year and this is his final season. That means next season $19 million in cap space opens up for the team. Throw in most likely unless DeMarcus Ware has an outstanding season he could also be a cap casualty as his deal was more of a 2-year deal anyway so that is $30 million off the books. I say all that to show that the Broncos can be more aggressive than some are thinking in they can design contracts where the bigger cap hits happen 2 seasons from now instead of this year. So the Broncos could sign D. Thomas to an average contract of $13 million a year but only have a $10 million cap hit this year with $16 million the next year. Saves us some room while having the bigger hit when we have more cap space.

Now obviously this type of thinking can quickly get teams into cap hell so have to be careful with it but it is how the Broncos can actually sign a player or two that many did not think possible.

Guys that I have my eyes on (some are actual FA's others are most likely going to be cut)

Ndamukong Suh is a guy to keep an eye on for the Broncos. I have actually been hearing some rumors that the Broncos might actually look at him depending on price obviously. He fits the JJ Watt type role in a Phillips 3-4 defense and could thrive big time even more than he has.

Devin McCourty--probably going to be out of our price range but I do think the Broncos bring one out of house FA that is a big name in again this season.

Bryan Bulaga--This would probably be the big name guy I would target. Essentially the Right side of our OL would be set for the next few years with Pro Bowl/All Pro level play. He has the athleticism to thrive in a zone blocking scheme and is one of the best pass blocking RT's in the entire NFL.

Jordan Cameron/Charles Clay--I think the Broncos will target the TE position of guys with good athleticism but have shown a great ability to block to pair with maybe Virgil Green. Keeps teams guessing what the heck we are doing on offense.

Clint Boling--I would say this guy is one of the more under the radar guys who could really thrive. He reminds me a bit of when we signed Vasquez in a little unheard of but has been producing at a quality level for years. Plus the guy is only 26 so fits the mold of when the Broncos like to dish out a long-term contract.

Dan Williams--If we cannot get Terrance Knighton signed Dan Williams makes a ton of sense. He would be a bit cheaper, has played in the 3-4 the last few years, and is still under 30.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With FA just a little over a month away any certain players you have your eyes on for us to sign? I know a lot of our money is going to go in house but honestly the Broncos could get creative this year and sign more than people think. I mean consider that say Manning does come back this year and this is his final season. That means next season $19 million in cap space opens up for the team. Throw in most likely unless DeMarcus Ware has an outstanding season he could also be a cap casualty as his deal was more of a 2-year deal anyway so that is $30 million off the books. I say all that to show that the Broncos can be more aggressive than some are thinking in they can design contracts where the bigger cap hits happen 2 seasons from now instead of this year. So the Broncos could sign D. Thomas to an average contract of $13 million a year but only have a $10 million cap hit this year with $16 million the next year. Saves us some room while having the bigger hit when we have more cap space.

Now obviously this type of thinking can quickly get teams into cap hell so have to be careful with it but it is how the Broncos can actually sign a player or two that many did not think possible.

Guys that I have my eyes on (some are actual FA's others are most likely going to be cut)

Ndamukong Suh is a guy to keep an eye on for the Broncos. I have actually been hearing some rumors that the Broncos might actually look at him depending on price obviously. He fits the JJ Watt type role in a Phillips 3-4 defense and could thrive big time even more than he has.

Devin McCourty--probably going to be out of our price range but I do think the Broncos bring one out of house FA that is a big name in again this season.

Bryan Bulaga--This would probably be the big name guy I would target. Essentially the Right side of our OL would be set for the next few years with Pro Bowl/All Pro level play. He has the athleticism to thrive in a zone blocking scheme and is one of the best pass blocking RT's in the entire NFL.

Jordan Cameron/Charles Clay--I think the Broncos will target the TE position of guys with good athleticism but have shown a great ability to block to pair with maybe Virgil Green. Keeps teams guessing what the heck we are doing on offense.

Clint Boling--I would say this guy is one of the more under the radar guys who could really thrive. He reminds me a bit of when we signed Vasquez in a little unheard of but has been producing at a quality level for years. Plus the guy is only 26 so fits the mold of when the Broncos like to dish out a long-term contract.

Dan Williams--If we cannot get Terrance Knighton signed Dan Williams makes a ton of sense. He would be a bit cheaper, has played in the 3-4 the last few years, and is still under 30.

I like the te`s mentioned, Buluga, Boling and Williams. Pretty sure NE wont let McCourty go and don`t think he would leave anyway. Suh is as attractive and scary as any player out there:) The scary part being the "money" aspect. You know he would upgrade that front line 10 fold imo. I`am not sure what Elway is thinking regarding Manning and the future of Denver. He could really shock everyone and make some huge trades and garnish some top draft pks along with some fa`s possibly. I guess once we get word from Manning we`ll have a better sense but at the same time I wouldn`t be surprised if Elway makes some very bold moves this off-season before and possibly during draft. I`am just not sold on he`s going to throw all his chips in on a Manning or bust season. Not yet anyway. Could be some real shockers ahead. IDK?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the te`s mentioned, Buluga, Boling and Williams. Pretty sure NE wont let McCourty go and don`t think he would leave anyway. Suh is as attractive and scary as any player out there:) The scary part being the "money" aspect. You know he would upgrade that front line 10 fold imo. I`am not sure what Elway is thinking regarding Manning and the future of Denver. He could really shock everyone and make some huge trades and garnish some top draft pks along with some fa`s possibly. I guess once we get word from Manning we`ll have a better sense but at the same time I wouldn`t be surprised if Elway makes some very bold moves this off-season before and possibly during draft. I`am just not sold on he`s going to throw all his chips in on a Manning or bust season. Not yet anyway. Could be some real shockers ahead. IDK?

I agree Randymon that McCourty won't leave New England. He is more a wishful thinking than actual reality. In fact a couple of these are such as Suh in I don't think Elway is willing to give him the money he wants with knowing he has to pay DT and next year will have to pay Von Miller. A team can only have so many high priced players and I would rather have Von Miller than that of Suh at this point. I was more putting these couple of guys up in the idea that I do think with Elway knowing that possibly $30 million is coming off the books after this upcoming season that he could still get pretty aggressive without completely destroying the team for the future. I think he still has the idea of win from now on but still wanting to make sure he puts a championship caliber team on the field. I mean next off season CJ Anderson and Von Miller look like the only two big time FA names. I mean we will have guys like Osweiler, Wolfe, Jackson, and Trevathan but not sure any of those guys break the bank.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah CD, I`am totally on base with what your saying. One thing that kinda makes me wonder,esp with the way Elway say`s that he`s not necessarily thinking "win now" and that he is committed to the future also. I really believe that he is very committed to a long term dynasty situation in Denver and that`s why I believe we could see some very shocking,if you will, moves by him that will actually dictate how serious he is thinking about the future even more than just a one more shot with Peyton senario.I`am talking about a possible big move or two that would be a strong step into bolstering that version of Denver being a SB contender for many yrs. Besides the potential of losing JT, which I think is going to happen anyway, I think we could very well see a couple other guys that,as much as they would love to keep them, that he (Elway) could jsut be willing to make a major trade or two and part with to help his vision of long term succsess. Can`t believe he`s sold himself on a "one more shot with Manning" that everybody and his brother is thinking he`s "set in stone" to do. Of course I`am probably way off base here but I just got this feeling that were going to be in for some interesting moves by big John.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've started doing some draft research, and there is one player who has jumped out at me so far: Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami. We have a lot of LBs on the team, but I think ILB is a position we could upgrade if we were to draft one early. As I see it, our starting LB unit would have Trev and Marshall in the middle, Von at the Will, and Ware at the Sam. That's a good unit, but if we drafted Perryman to take Marshall's spot that unit would be absolutely beastly.

Just a word of warning to all, I am going to be beating the drum for Perryman for the next few months, lol.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DownSetHutch I know the Broncos down at the Senior Bowl week had a private interview with him where they took him out to dinner so there is definite interest on the part of the Broncos.

Alright been gone a few days as my wife finally had our first child! Had a bit of a surprise as most everybody thought our baby would be a boy and ended up having a little girl. Terrified now of every single boy so have a friend that is a double black belt MMA fighter going to come out and begin training her when she is of age to make sure every boy in town knows she can beat the crap out of them if they get out of line.

Heard some rumors for the team though while in the hospital so thought I would share those here. As in the other post the rumor is the Broncos are going to let Moore walk in FA and possibly replace him with Webster while also then drafting somebody to add depth to the position with both Moore and Carter leaving this off season. Obviously this early in the off season hard to tell what is fact and what is just to get clicks but this one actually does make sense.

Other things I have heard is the team seems very set on keeping Franklin and D. Thomas. They seem to be the top-2 priorities with possibly Knighton being #3. J. Thomas seems like he is for sure going to hit FA.

It is now known that Montee Ball was not actually healthy at any point during this past season and actually covered up his injuries from the team because he wanted to play so bad. Love the fight this kid has to have done that but honestly just not very smart. I know he wants the starting job so hopefully he can come back healthy and that gives the Broncos the best 1-2 punch in the NFL with Ball and Anderson. Would take some major pressure off Manning to have to perform as such a high level.