• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season has started ...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a story this week where Headley just had surgery for a meniscus tear in his knee. The story said he'd been having problems with the knee dating back to spring training. That would explain the big drop in production this year for the guy.

I think the Padres have him for one more year based on his MLB service time, he may be a "Super Two" where players have a 4th arbitration year.

Yes, I had forgotten about the knee surgery. There was a lot of chatter about whether SD would try to sew him up ... I don't follow it, as I repeat. Just looking at do-able solutions to the Reds roster issues. 3B is a real tough cookie.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Frazier can play LF, or even fill a utility role if the team beefs up enough. I think they need another bat- a middle of the order 25-35 HR potential guy to put BP back into a tablesetter role. As was the case with BP this year( even with below standard BA and HR) lots of guys can drive in 100 if they have runners on in front of them. The problem is, they probably need to find an undervalued guy- usually an age and/or injury risk. It's what Jocketty is good at- he needs to go to work again to find that guy, but logically, he needs a manager first. Someone to partner with, instead of disagree with, which IMO has been the case with Dusty.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Choo is tough. I'd like to keep him, AND use Hamilton. I just don't know if they have the jack.

Headley is a possible. Pablo Sandoval...some nagging injuries - and too much weight, but he would hit more HR in GABP, and he looks like a guy that could hit .300, might be a RBI beast - can play 3b adequately. He's not too old. Worth a chance, too. Gotta be lots of possibles out there.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously none of us know how far the Reds' ownership is willing to stretch the payroll for 2014. A new TV deal is looming in the near future, there's revenue sharing that includes national TV money, so who knows?

The one thing I do know....if this team is going to remain competitive the payroll isn't going down. The Reds already have a sizable amount of payroll locked up in it's core with many of them due raises this coming season that offset any savings from departing free agents. They also have 8 players eligible for arbitration including Aroldis Chapman whose 2014 $3M salary is going to be converted to bonus money since he's now eligible for arbitration.

It's going to be very expensive to keep the great pitching the Reds have enjoyed the past few seasons, it'll be interesting to see if they can upgrade the offense with any budget restraints they might have.

If I had to guess right now I'd say that Walt will look for the upgrade the same way he did mid-season 2013.....from within. He'll expect more from Ludwick, Frazier, the catchers, and hope Billy Hamilton can hit MLB pitching.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Observing some teams, the Dodgers not included ... it's possible to compete with the right mix of players.

Opinions being free on this board:
1. Phillips might be on the plank. I don't think his attitude is working real well, even if he is popular. I think he might be tradeable.

2. An outfielder like ... say, Josh Willingham type player, could be in a deal. I still like DeJesus.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to agree with you on opinion #1 John.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Observing some teams, the Dodgers not included ... it's possible to compete with the right mix of players.

Opinions being free on this board:
1. Phillips might be on the plank. I don't think his attitude is working real well, even if he is popular. I think he might be tradeable.

2. An outfielder like ... say, Josh Willingham type player, could be in a deal. I still like DeJesus.

Fully agree with you JohnU. One thing is for sure, you are gonna lose Choo and Arroyo. Choo stings so you really need 2 pieces to the puzzle here because you wont replace Choo's OBP. So you better have somebody else that can pick up the slack. I truly believe you will see the sticks come alive if the Reds can get a manager and a good hitting instructor. God knows the talent is oozing at the seams on this club.