• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE Jordan: He had an injury on his first year. That set him back. Then he had 4 games out due to suspension on his second year. I don't blame the coaching staff for that. Jordan has the size of a DE. He's put on muscle. He's 275 lbs and 6'6. He said at the end of last year that he's a DE. He needs to prove that he can stop the run & get to the QB. OV was great 2 years ago with 11.5 sacks & played OK last year with 6.5 sacks. Jordan just didn't prove himself enough to be able claim that DE spot from OV. I trust the coaches with that. They want to win too so they play the best players. I think this upcoming year is a huge year for Jordan. Depth at DE is not a bad thing when you forget the number he was drafted at. I think Jordan is athletic enough to cover elite TE's but that isn't what DE's usually do. He is a very good special teams player with blocking kicks for example. I'm not sure if having him learn all of the responsibilities of being an OLB next year is a good idea. It would be like he's a rookie again. I actually think Chris McCain has as good of a chance at earning playing time at OLB as Jordan. Vic Beasley said the Dolphins are interested in him. That guy is a proven pass rusher at DE plus he's fast. He's slightly undersized for a DE but he's very strong. He's a guy worth considering if he's available. (he may not be based on his combine performance) Jordan is obviously athletic & has potential but he wasn't a big sack guy coming out of Oregon. His best year for sacks was 7.5 on his junior year. The Fins should not have traded up for him. Picking proven production over potential when drafting is usually the best move. RE Wallace: the guy had 10 TD's last year. He's got the talent to contribute to the Fins or any team. That said, he let his frustrations get the best of him & lost some of the coaches favor & may have even lost some respect from his teammates. Could it be worked through? Probably so. I like how Wallace showed more versatility by catching mid range passes. He can help the team by being more than just a deep threat. Wallace needs to have a great attitude and more production to make it easier to accept that he's making 12.1 million per year against the salary cap this year.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the DT and CB positional needs have been filled it will be interesting to see how the Fins use their picks. More can still happen with offseason moves yet at this time there appear to be some good options for the team at #14. Devante Parker could really add to the Fins' group of WR's. Either Collins player could help the team. La'el Collins could play guard or OT. If Albert is healthy then Collins could take a guard spot and open running lanes. If Albert needs more time then Collins could compete for an OT spot. The other Collins; Landon is the top safety in the draft which is a position of need for the Fins. In round 2 the best ILB available could be a good choice. Perryman could be the choice to make. If a WR isn't taken with pick 14 then Dorsett in the 2nd round could be a solid choice.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they’ll go WR in the first if nothing changes before then. If their guy isn't there then they may trade back for extra picks which wouldn't be a bad move either. I like ILB in the second...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they’ll go WR in the first if nothing changes before then. If their guy isn't there then they may trade back for extra picks which wouldn't be a bad move either. I like ILB in the second...

I think there is a good chance the picks could go the way you're predicting. That said, the Fins need another vet OG. Justin Blalock is available as a free agent. He's a player that the Fins may want to consider. I'm starting to think that Philly is asking to much for Mathis because teams aren't making the trade. The Fins need a player that can step right in & play well for a few years until they have confidence that a less experienced player is ready. Otherwise they may need to pick an olineman early in the draft.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's why trading back may be the best move you can acquire an extra 2nd and use the three picks on WR, G and ILB or even S. I do agree that they should bring in another FA G though as it would be nice to have a vet fighting for the job too. It will be interesting to see what they do.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the team keeps the #14 pick unless they get a great offer to trade back. There is some very good talent in the top half of this draft at WR and sometimes unexpected players can slide. I doubt Shelton will slide yet if he did it would be very difficult for offenses to try to stop both him and Suh at the same time. You can only double team so many people. Both of those guys can be disruptive. The Fins' DE's should have good years with Suh & Mitchell starting together as it stands. I think the team will also look to add another CB in this draft. There were a lot of injuries between J Taylor and W Davis last year and both of those guys are yet to have proven themselves as reliable starters. McCain could take the spot Wilson had or he could start outside opposite Grimes yet a team can't have too much quality depth at that position. Unless Trae Waynes is there at #14 the team may be best off waiting until a later round to add a CB. Waynes has elite speed as he showed at the combine and he has good size at 6'. Agreed RE ILB in the 2nd round: I think the Fins can get a quality player at that spot. There is some good depth at that position in this draft.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya the more I read unless a top WR falls to them or a sick player in general that shouldn't be there I'd trade back so they can fill multiple needs. CB's take time to develop, they need FS not SS, G can be filled later in the first and ILB in the second. Either way if they sign a few more FA's that could change everything...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya the more I read unless a top WR falls to them or a sick player in general that shouldn't be there I'd trade back so they can fill multiple needs. CB's take time to develop, they need FS not SS, G can be filled later in the first and ILB in the second. Either way if they sign a few more FA's that could change everything...

The Fins should keep looking to fill needs before the draft. Also, good players can also be found even after the draft sometimes. Daryn Colledge is an example of that. The wildcard this off season is Clay. The Fins have money to sign other FA's now yet they wont know how much cap space until there is clarity with Clay's situation. If the Fins choose to sign Clay then they may choose to not add a top WR like D Parker at #14 because of what Cameron brings to the team as a big & fast pass catcher. The Fins have interest in ILB Stephone Anthony. He moves well for a player his size. Choosing a true ILB like Anthony could move Misi back to OLB. That would bring good depth to the LB position for the Fins. If the Fins find a LB that they really want at #14 it would not surprise me if they added one in the first round. Anthony gets a good amount of tackles for losses and he forces fumbles. He would definitely improve the Fins run defense with his aggressive style of play and he is quicker than most guys his size so that could help in pass coverage.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep good points and we should remember that more young guys may step up this year. I'm fully expecting Taylor and possibly guys like trip to improve. Hard for us to know but I'm sure that the team sees some coming...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep good points and we should remember that more young guys may step up this year. I'm fully expecting Taylor and possibly guys like trip to improve. Hard for us to know but I'm sure that the team sees some coming...

RE the Fins' less experienced players: A team has to have those guys step up and contribute to be able to win. The Fins have some good ones on the roster. It will be interesting to see how they develop this year. RE Clay: I think the longer the gamemanship goes on by Buffalo the more likely the Fins should be to plan to match the offer (unless it's a ridiculous offer then the Bills would just be hurting their own salary cap) Clay and Cameron on the same roster would be a great combination. The Fins could probably even afford to keep Dion Sims. He has a yearly salary of 585K this year & $675K for next year. He could have trade value if the team decided to trade him because the TE market has rapidly dwindled. J Gresham is the best available now and the Bills' delayed response could cause them to miss out on him to a team like the Browns who also need a TE.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most years, the 15th pick is the last immediate impact player. Having the 14th almost guarantees you a starter - if the guys on the board are real top 15 picks. Taking a top 20 with the 14th is reaching.
This year the draft is deeper but the top picks are not necessarily better than the 2nd and 3rd rounds (at some positions)
It is almost like you can't screw up but we know that is incorrect. Too many choices?????
I feel like we are standing at the counter of Baskin and Robbins 300 flavors!!!!!

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most years, the 15th pick is the last immediate impact player. Having the 14th almost guarantees you a starter - if the guys on the board are real top 15 picks. Taking a top 20 with the 14th is reaching.
This year the draft is deeper but the top picks are not necessarily better than the 2nd and 3rd rounds (at some positions)
It is almost like you can't screw up but we know that is incorrect. Too many choices?????
I feel like we are standing at the counter of Baskin and Robbins 300 flavors!!!!!

Usually a pick in that range is the way to go. That said, the Fins have positional needs that could be filled in the late first, second, and third rounds or even later: WR, OG, CB, S, LB, RB, & OT depth (Fox may be good enough at RT in a pinch with J James switching to LT). I think the WR Kenny Stills trade was good for the Fins. However, the Fins wont have a 3rd round pick. The Pats have traded down a lot through the years. It fills more needs and helps a team have a better chance of finding future starters/major contributors. The more I look at these top WR's the more I realize that there is better quality depth than I first thought. I have been impressed by Devante Parker and the other top two WR's(Cooper & White). Any of those guys could be a special player at pick #14 yet there are guys like WR Chris Conley that have size, speed, and proven production and can be picked much later.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually a pick in that range is the way to go. That said, the Fins have positional needs that could be filled in the late first, second, and third rounds or even later: WR, OG, CB, S, LB, RB, & OT depth (Fox may be good enough at RT in a pinch with J James switching to LT). I think the WR Kenny Stills trade was good for the Fins. However, the Fins wont have a 3rd round pick. The Pats have traded down a lot through the years. It fills more needs and helps a team have a better chance of finding future starters/major contributors. The more I look at these top WR's the more I realize that there is better quality depth than I first thought. I have been impressed by Devante Parker and the other top two WR's(Cooper & White). Any of those guys could be a special player at pick #14 yet there are guys like WR Chris Conley that have size, speed, and proven production and can be picked much later.
Yes the Pats have traded down frequently. This year we have 9 picks - 4 in the top 100 picks. We can't keep anywhere near 9 picks and next year will likely have 9 picks also.
I think the possibility of trading up is very real this year. If we can get anybody to deal with us.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah 9's a lot. If the Fins don't have their guy fall to them I wouldn't be upset if they traded back. They need a good WR or G that could start...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins have been considering RB Todd Gurley. I know it's not the teams' top need yet it is intriguing. A healthy Gurley at Georgia was a special athlete. He was the best RB in college in my opinion. When he's healthy the Fins would have one of the best (if not the best) RB groups in the NFL. He's young so he may bounce back just fine from his knee injury. Recovering from ACL surgery is as much mental as physical. Surgeons do a lot of those procedures and they usually go well. Once Gurley learns to trust his knee he could make a big impact at RB. If the Fins make that decision I think they would still need the best OG available with the 2nd pick (even with the consensus choice of a WR early). In my opinion the only reason the Fins shouldn't take an OG in the 2nd round is because they have picked a player like La'El Collins or Brandon Scherff with their first pick. Either of these guys could step right in at OG and also play RT as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't think that they can afford to draft a RB. They need WR and G/T starters with their first two picks. That would solidify the team's biggest needs. I like the G to be able to slide over to tackle in case of injury.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't think that they can afford to draft a RB. They need WR and G/T starters with their first two picks. That would solidify the team's biggest needs. I like the G to be able to slide over to tackle in case of injury.

I have been thinking the Fins would pick the best avail RB in the 5th Round or possibly 4th round. The Fins would have to believe Gurley is destined to be a star RB. Miller is a very skilled & productive runner with great speed. Some of the Fins' backups have potential. Williams has shown some glimpses of talent. If the Fins thought they had the next Adrian Peterson then that might be a good choice at #14 otherwise I'd wait until the middle rounds to draft a complimentary short yardage RB.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been thinking the Fins would pick the best avail RB in the 5th Round or possibly 4th round. The Fins would have to believe Gurley is destined to be a star RB. Miller is a very skilled & productive runner with great speed. Some of the Fins' backups have potential. Williams has shown some glimpses of talent. If the Fins thought they had the next Adrian Peterson then that might be a good choice at #14 otherwise I'd wait until the middle rounds to draft a complimentary short yardage RB.
If they had kept Wallace they would have had the luxury of drafting a RB. They need starting G and WR in either order trading back gives them a MLB too....

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that the Fins will be hosting OT/OG La'El Collins. I would not mind him getting picked at #14 at all (unless the team catches a falling star at another position with the 14th pick) Collins would help to solidify the Oline which could make the whole offense better. I have heard that teams can develop OG's from later picks therefore the Fins should wait to the middle to late rounds to get an Olineman. The Fins are in a win now mode. Does the team have two starting OG's on the roster now? I don't know. I'd rather the team chance filling one OG spot with the current group. The last thing the team needs is DT's running right up the middle at Tannehill & the RB's. Collins is a mauler who would create running lanes for Miller and we know what can happen when Miller has a running lane. Collins has played a lot at LT so I think he has the footwork to pass block, especially at guard. I think Collins would be like J James. He also played 4 years in the SEC against a lot of the top teams. Collins could step in right away at OG and have a long career with the Fins. If Albert needs more time to recover he could also provide some more depth at OT.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phinsider has an article from SB Nation's Dan Kadar. It is a consensus mock draft from 20 different mock drafts: At #14 the Fins need an impact starter that could help effect the outcome of games. Two of the top 4 guys are WR's which could make sense if the Fins are able to add a quality OG with the 2nd pick. Sometimes unexpected guys slide based on the needs of other teams. It will be interesting.

20 percent Breshad Perriman
15 percent Todd Gurley
10 percent Brandon Scherff
10 percent DeVante Parker
5 percent D.J. Humphries
5 percent Dorial Green-Beckham
5 percent Eric Kendricks
5 percent Jaelen Strong
5 percent Jalen Collins
5 percent La’el Collins
5 percent Landon Collins
5 percent Nelson Agholor