• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Jersey Devils Ongoing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we play the Rags tonight? ESPN has 12 games on the schedule for today, but no scores updated on any of them but two. Guess they don't realize hockey has started....

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hahahaha didn't miss much. Larson look solid but bad offense.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Larsson played very well. He looks a lot stronger, and had high confidence on plays he made. I hope he has a break out year. Kennedy had a good game.

Other than that, not much to talk about. Danis stunk. Terrible goal to give up on that no angle shot.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah the score wasn't really a reflection of the game. dannis i think gave up 4 goals? he isn't even making the team so its whatever.

its going to be a familiar theme all season long. defense plays great offense can't get it going. unless someone comes along and tears it up

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is why I would like to see mostly rookies or unknowns for these pre-season games. Blandisi, Boucher (seems ready), Zacha, Kalinin, Quenneville, Black, etc.
Lorito isn't a rookie but we would like to see if he can play. Same with Kennedy. I don't mind seeing them.

Guys like LeBlond or Pelley are not going to solve any offensive issues this season. I get that these guys and vets need the preseason games, but to me seems some of the roster spots taken up are just a waste of time.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Few games playing these rookies, and coaches will figure out whether these kids are legit, have potential but need a year or more, or just not ready.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I would like to see mostly rookies or unknowns for these pre-season games. Blandisi, Boucher (seems ready), Zacha, Kalinin, Quenneville, Black, etc.
Lorito isn't a rookie but we would like to see if he can play. Same with Kennedy. I don't mind seeing them.

Guys like LeBlond or Pelley are not going to solve any offensive issues this season. I get that these guys and vets need the preseason games, but to me seems some of the roster spots taken up are just a waste of time.
It's one thing to play the vets who are going to be on the team or in contention for a spot along with the kids but a waste to play Pelley, LeBlond types because they are earmarked for Albany anyway. And I like both those guys...

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They looked better in the first. Pretty much ripped the Bs apart. Second and especially in they looked a bit gassed. Like Hynes said, they haven't even touched the PP or the PK yet, since the Vets were in camp like one day before going to Providence. Special Teams decided it. Rico and Palms easily could have made that game 3-0 early. Bs were very lucky.
Henrique also looked very good in the scrimmage Saturday morning. I think he is feeling like it's his year....let's hope!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Henrique for captain!

Yeah when I saw sislo score the second goal It was a really? That's a waste

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Stevens heading to the Wild as an assistant coach.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looks like he definitely prefers coaching to TV.
Good luck to him. Hope one day he is back behind the bench in NJ.
Though I do like our current coaching staff.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one of those "cap circumvention" moves that should be illegal. It will ensure that we stay above the cap floor. I do like the 2nd round pick for a pair of fringe players.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
when i saw the savard deal i loved it. the fact the pick is in 2018?!?!?!? stings a little but meh who cares. im sure they would look to deal the pick/s if the devils are in the position of a good playoff spot this deadline. its interesting that even with his contract on the books the devils are something like 8 million below the cap floor which is incredible.

me being a negative nancy though does make me worry that the owners are going to grow accustom to a low cap and not want to spend money.

this year this team has to make the playoffs. 8th seed or better and its a success.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting the 2nd rounder is a nice little asset. If we hang on to it, great, we get a quality draft pick. Otherwise it's a nice trade chip.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The New Jersey Devils acquired forward Marc Savard and a second-round pick in 2018 from the Florida Panthers on Friday for Graham Black and Paul Thompson.

Anyone understand this move?????

As others have mentioned. Savard carries a ~$5M cap hit (actual salary we pay him ~$500K). Florida is obviously lining up to spend some BIG money this off season/next season.

The devils basically told Florida, hey, we have cap space and we can take this toxic cap space asset off your books, but you need to pay us for that service. And we got a 2nd round pick for it.

Neither Black or Thompson we're going to make the NHL so we essentially paid cap space, $500K, and two AHL players to get a 2nd.

Savard is also LTIR eligible just like Clowe, so he really doesn't count once the season starts. Devils can also go 10% over the salary cap during the summer.

This is actually very, very similar to the trade we made with SJ a decade ago. We needed room so sign paul martin and brian gionta, but we had dead weight in Matvichuk. We traded him and a first to SJ to get him off the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.