• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Roadtrip Twins & D-Backs (7/24 - 7/30)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun with numbers.

There are 12 teams with less payroll than us with 6 of them having better records than us. Hmmm maybe it is Jerry?

Also, the three teams ahead of us in our division are all top 10 in payroll. So I blame ownership for being tight asses and Jerry for being incompetent. A perfect marriage between owner and GM.

I think somebody on here the other day asked this, but has anyone seen Hollander? I think he is still our GM.
I also am very curious about Hollander. A big deal was made of him being given the formal title of GM but every time Jerry talks he talks as though he is the GM, everyone in the media talks like Jerry is the GM and all the national shows/MLB network talk as though Jerry is the GM.

Seems like a big waste of money if they gave him the title just cause some other team was going to poach him plus it also seems like he got the short end of the stick if he got the title but Jerry is still calling all the shots.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also am very curious about Hollander. A big deal was made of him being given the formal title of GM but every time Jerry talks he talks as though he is the GM, everyone in the media talks like Jerry is the GM and all the national shows/MLB network talk as though Jerry is the GM.

Seems like a big waste of money if they gave him the title just cause some other team was going to poach him plus it also seems like he got the short end of the stick if he got the title but Jerry is still calling all the shots.
You nailed it. It is so weird. But then again, it is the Mariners.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 335530

Me a decade ago in the AZ dugout. My wife and I took a tour of the stadium one time. It was a nice tour. Our first visit to Bank One Ballpark (as it was known as back in the day) was probably in early 2000's when we went there for vacation from WA. We sat in the first row in 200 level in the restaurant seeting. I think was TGIF's at the time. It was great. A lot of memories there.
That's awesome!

It's very possible that when you sat at Friday's Front Row I served you during the game lol If it was during a Mariners game and you had bad service from a server in a Mariners hat, then I almost guarantee you it was me. The M's don't play here often, but when they did I always sported my Mariners gear during those games; got fed a lot of shit for it by the patrons. That was the glory days of that stadium and team, now it's nothing more than a concrete box still trying to sell people on the concept of a pool in right field while fielding a mediocre team; doesn't feel like baseball the way Safeco does. The WBC was pretty awesome but still a lame stadium.

A little fun fact about Front Row, the original neon sign they had got busted by a home run ball hit by McGwire during the steroid era. They took it down and place inside as a piece of history art.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's awesome!

It's very possible that when you sat at Friday's Front Row I served you during the game lol If it was during a Mariners game and you had bad service from a server in a Mariners hat, then I almost guarantee you it was me. The M's don't play here often, but when they did I always sported my Mariners gear during those games; got fed a lot of shit for it by the patrons. That was the glory days of that stadium and team, now it's nothing more than a concrete box still trying to sell people on the concept of a pool in right field while fielding a mediocre team; doesn't feel like baseball the way Safeco does. The WBC was pretty awesome but still a lame stadium.

A little fun fact about Front Row, the original neon sign they had got busted by a home run ball hit by McGwire during the steroid era. They took it down and place inside as a piece of history art.
How cool. I was trying to think of the year. It was hot so...lol. The loop wasn't finished yet. We stayed at a hotel next to the Fashion Mall. It Was Named B.O.B between 98-05. Sorry I am just trying to think through it and remember. Looks like either June of 1998 or July of 2003. I know our first spring training vacation was 2003 so it must have been 1998.

It's like writing out a math equation on paper for me...lol.

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's awesome!

I don't remember the server specifically, but the staff was awesome. We had a blast and a lot of laughs with the people working there.

Funny (sad) story, I have talked about my fear (doesn't give it justice) of heights. That game we went to we took the elevator up and went up to the top level thinking our seats were there. I couldn't even look at the field from there and was ready to leave. Found out it was a level bellow and had no issues sitting there. I got lucky.

I went to Wrigley back 16 years ago and first day we sat in the bleachers and had a ball. Second day we had tickets in the upper level and I couldn't walk up the ramp to get up there. My buddy I was with sat up there and I just stood behind the seats on the first level the whole game. I did get to see Eddie Vedder up close that day though...lol.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How cool. I was trying to think of the year. It was hot so...lol. The loop wasn't finished yet. We stayed at a hotel next to the Fashion Mall. It Was Named B.O.B between 98-05. Sorry I am just trying to think through it and remember. Looks like either June of 1998 or July of 2003. I know are first spring training vacation was 2003 so it must have been 1998.

It's like writing out a math equation on paper for me...lol.
I worked at Front Row probably from 2000-2003 or somewhere within that time frame. It was a great time because the D'Backs were really good as were the Mariners, unfortunately they got our WS which was great for the city but still pisses me off lol

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked at Front Row probably from 2000-2003 or somewhere within that time frame. It was a great time because the D'Backs were really good as were the Mariners, unfortunately they got our WS which was great for the city but still pisses me off lol
I was pulling for them...or against Yankees. One or the other.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember the server specifically, but the staff was awesome. We had a blast and a lot of laughs with the people working there.

Funny (sad) story, I have talked about my fear (doesn't give it justice) of heights. That game we went to we took the elevator up and went up to the top level thinking our seats were there. I couldn't even look at the field from there and was ready to leave. Found out it was a level bellow and had no issues sitting there. I got lucky.

I went to Wrigley back 16 years ago and first day we sat in the bleachers and had a ball. Second day we had tickets in the upper level and I couldn't walk up the ramp to get up there. My buddy I was with sat up there and I just stood behind the seats on the first level the whole game. I did get to see Eddie Vedder up close that day though...lol.
I was just kidding about the bad service, I was a good server just a little distracted during those M's games for obvious reasons. Those tables in the bleachers are literally still the best deal and seats in the house. The tables are still only like $200-$250 with half of that as a food credit. You get full service the entire game and a great view of the game, can't beat it. It's a Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers now.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pulling for them...or against Yankees. One or the other.
Going against the Evil Empire made it very easy to root for them, was actually a great series and title for the city. I saw the Gonzo hit and title victory at a bar in Tempe at the time, the place erupted. People were literally dancing on the tables in the bar, I'll never forget it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just kidding about the bad service, I was a good server just a little distracted during those M's games for obvious reasons. Those tables in the bleachers are literally still the best deal and seats in the house. The tables are still only like $200-$250 with half of that as a food credit. You get full service the entire game and a great view of the game, can't beat it. It's a Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers now.
I would do that deal all day long. Loved it and left full and happy. I thought TGIF's left there. I would have loved working there on game days. Great story.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going against the Evil Empire made it very easy to root for them, was actually a great series and title for the city. I saw the Gonzo hit and title victory at a bar in Tempe at the time, the place erupted. People were literally dancing on the tables in the bar, I'll never forget it.
That reminds me when the Mariners won the...oh never mind.

I liked Tempe. We went to a Huskie football and softball game there. Had tickets for their basketball game but my daughter had a high school game that night so I gave a trainer the tickets.

Have you ever been to the Rustlers Roost? Great restaurant with a great view. First place we went to back at the 98 visit. A guy on the plane heading there told us about it. We went there a few times when living there as well.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wazzu31 I know we have spoken about Kevin Kalal in the past, but have we talked about his brother Tim?

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That reminds me when the Mariners won the...oh never mind.

I liked Tempe. We went to a Huskie football and softball game there. Had tickets for their basketball game but my daughter had a high school game that night so I gave a trainer the tickets.

Have you ever been to the Rustlers Roost? Great restaurant with a great view. First place we went to back at the 98 visit. A guy on the plane heading there told us about it. We went there a few times when living there as well.

I’ve heard of Rustlers but never been, looks cool and need to check it out.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge weekend that will dictate the remainder of the season.

If we take two out of three I think we become buyers, but if we only manage a single W I think that’ll tip the scales as more of a seller. Though it doesn’t feel like it, we’ve had one of the best records in July in all of baseball. The team has certainly made it difficult to go all in one way or the other, but I think we need to make some moves that effect the major league club regardless of the direction rather than loading up the farm by selling off the major league squad. Moves need to be made, period.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wazzu31 I know we have spoken about Kevin Kalal in the past, but have we talked about his brother Tim?
I was only knew Kevin cause he was the “GM” and hired me and Corey Brock’s younger brother. Kevin was super cool cause he tried getting me a job with the Portland Beavers cause I was suppose to go play baseball at a NAIA school down there. Were you buddies with Tim?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was only knew Kevin cause he was the “GM” and hired me and Corey Brock’s younger brother. Kevin was super cool cause he tried getting me a job with the Portland Beavers cause I was suppose to go play baseball at a NAIA school down there. Were you buddies with Tim?
Tim was a year behind me in high school. We would talk in passing. He went on to punt for University of Miami during their national championship year. The reason I brought him up was that my brother just told me the other day that Tim is the assistant equipment manager for the Mariners. I never knew that. I guess my brother ran into him at spring training and was talking to him. I wasn't sure if you knew him. I remember chatting with Mike Cuerto on twitter about Kevin and he knew Tim as well.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim was a year behind me in high school. We would talk in passing. He went on to punt for University of Miami during their national championship year. The reason I brought him up was that my brother just told me the other day that Tim is the assistant equipment manager for the Mariners. I never knew that. I guess my brother ran into him at spring training and was talking to him. I wasn't sure if you knew him. I remember chatting with Mike Cuerto on twitter about Kevin and he knew Tim as well.
I can’t think of the name of the Rainiers clubhouse manager when I was there 2000-2002. I was always on the visitors side either so I had really limited interaction unless I screwed up or the players needed me to run to the gas station. for something cause the road team usually had their own guy. He was probably in his early 30’s so maybe. No idea on Kevin’s relationship with him, cause it was rare he came down (or maybe even at the game) unless it was something big like when Gillick was there or somebody came down for rehab.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t think of the name of the Rainiers clubhouse manager when I was there 2000-2002. I was always on the visitors side either so I had really limited interaction unless I screwed up or the players needed me to run to the gas station. for something cause the road team usually had their own guy. He was probably in his early 30’s so maybe. No idea on Kevin’s relationship with him, cause it was rare he came down (or maybe even at the game) unless it was something big like when Gillick was there or somebody came down for rehab.
Assistant Clubhouse Manager Billy Sepich
Clubhouse Assistant Pete Fortune
Clubhouse Assistant Tim Kalal
Co-Manager, Major League Clubhouse Chris Dewitt
Co-Manager, Major League Clubhouse Joe Van Vleck
Visiting Clubhouse ManagerJeff Bopp

I assume he might know Jeff Bopp listed above. He is also from Longview.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know..on Seattle cough...I as well..
Wish.he would post his thoughts..

But he was disgruntled..at the mariners.
Not winning..the way.he thought.they should.

And I have been..as well...but I know..see..
That .the minors...will..be better .than ever.
And at..AA..next year....

And a 3b..is coming..

With that..Seattle..needs..a 2b..
Weather .it is johnathan India..of the reds.
Or .
Grissom.of.atlanta....the minors..will..
Not take care..of this ..
Soon enough....
And with kelenic ...kiking..the..cooler..

.mariners .need..a right..handed..
Outfield
.as well....2.guys..mariners...need know..