• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Morton Named game 4 starter

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thoughts?

I read that on ESPN this morning... I know in other threads we talked about who might be pitching where... Now we know for sure...

So what do you think of this? and if you disagree what would you have done differently.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this is what i was calling for.
if hurdle would have pulled burnett earlier, he might've had a chance to comeback with 3 days rest at PNC.
but OK with morton, especially if liriano wins and cole pitching in game 5.

also helps morton get better for next year and beyond, esp if he fares well. burnett has a limited future with us. probably a number 3 at best at the beginning of the year, a 4 by the end, and not around the year after.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that Burnett has another great year in him at most..

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am absolutely fine with Morton starting game 4. The only problam I can see is if the hit Carpenter, Beltran and Adams b2b2b. For as much progress as Morton has made this year he at time has trouble getting lefties out still. Best case scenario would be to have Liriano go 8 innings and save the bullpen and if there is the slightest sign of Morton getting I'm to trouble go to the bullpen early and often.

No matter wether we win game 3 or not I have no desire at all to lose game 4. Word is though that the Cardinals might pitch Wainwright on short rest in game 4, so there is always that.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am absolutely fine with Morton starting game 4. The only problam I can see is if the hit Carpenter, Beltran and Adams b2b2b. For as much progress as Morton has made this year he at time has trouble getting lefties out still. Best case scenario would be to have Liriano go 8 innings and save the bullpen and if there is the slightest sign of Morton getting I'm to trouble go to the bullpen early and often.

No matter wether we win game 3 or not I have no desire at all to lose game 4. Word is though that the Cardinals might pitch Wainwright on short rest in game 4, so there is always that.

agree,
franky goes 8, we win easily so we can use morris(that seems to be his 9th inning mop up guy of the other 3(mazzaro, gomez, morris)
then hurdle has quick hook with morton as you say.

that would be great if they burned wainright in game 4 as that puts cole in 5 without wainright and burnett as possible pen as well as the big 4 in our BP as they will have all rested on tues unless gomez has to go 3 b/c morton goes out quickly.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We got to have this game... Especially if there is a chance wainwright is pitching game 4

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cole is the game 5 starter, is there a chance Burnett is used in the bullpen if Morton gets in trouble?

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i dont use burnett in the BP timorrow.
continue with our mazarro, gomez early guys.
wilson was saved today and can go 3 as a LHP to go against their lineup and turn beltran around.

everybody is pretty well rested except watson might need a breather if any one does.
then everyone has tuesday off again.

hopefully our O has mo, give us a lead, morton goes 6-7, then we can use mazzaro and wilson for 2-3 innings with our guns available if necessary.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Cole is the game 5 starter, is there a chance Burnett is used in the bullpen if Morton gets in trouble?

I would rather just win game 4 handily and have both ready to start the NLCS.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather just win game 4 handily and have both ready to start the NLCS.

Oh yeah we all would that would be great! I just wonder if Burnett would relieve him if needed? I bet he will be available if game 4 or 5 if Morton or Cole get in trouble.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes it much easier to go to Morton up 2-1, but yea I'm worried about the lefties. I'm not sure AJ would come out of the pen, can't really see Clint pulling that, but I could see Cole coming out of the pen if Morton only makes 3 innings.

Of course if he only makes it 3, and it is a blowout, no need to bring AJ or Cole out of the pen, go with the mopup guys, and get ready for game 5, whomever it will be starting.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah great point if after 3 they are down by more than 5 then just use Gomez.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My hope for today is that Matheny continues to keep his left handed hitting bats split up. If he puts Descalso in and bunches the lefties together then we may have a problem. I do find it odd that the only team to have a lot of success against Morton this season is StL. Others have had moderate success on occasion, but StL has really lit him up.

I really want this game today, no desire at all to go back to StL and face Wainwright, no matter who is on the mound for us. I do not want Hurdle to have to choose between AJ and Cole. While there is not really a wrong choice, there is also not a correct choice.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope for today is that Matheny continues to keep his left handed hitting bats split up. If he puts Descalso in and bunches the lefties together then we may have a problem. I do find it odd that the only team to have a lot of success against Morton this season is StL. Others have had moderate success on occasion, but StL has really lit him up.

I really want this game today, no desire at all to go back to StL and face Wainwright, no matter who is on the mound for us. I do not want Hurdle to have to choose between AJ and Cole. While there is not really a wrong choice, there is also not a correct choice.

I think he will, he isn't going to bunch lefties so the Pirates can match up easily in later innings with relievers.

Beltran and Holiday break up their lefties very well, no need to bunch them.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well we had our best player up in the 9th with the chance to win the game... that is all we can ask for...

Let's just get them in game 5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, Morton did his job, and so did the bullpen. The bats just never got going today.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He pitched well enough to win you couldn't ask for much more.