• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota rules the world of football

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And NO, you are not.

UMn has produced 4 times as many NBA players who've scored at least 1000 pts, 5 times as many who've scored at least 10,000.

UMn has produced 6 Naismith bb HOFers, has WSU produced any? The one WSU might eventually be able to claim is the son of a Gopher, lol.

UMn's produced 6 WNBA players, including one of the best ever, WSU's produced ZERO.

Neither of our schools are bb powers, so NIT tourney performances are actually relevant. UMn has 2 Titles, a Runner Up in 4 Semi-Final apps,
WSU has just one Semi-Final appearance.

4 > 1.

Both schools have pre-NCAA tourney Natl Titles, WSU in 1917, UMn in 1902, 03 & 19.

3 > 1.

Minnesota has TWICE AS MANY appearances in the NCAA Baseball Tournament,

32 > 16.

and 16 CWS wins compared to WSU's 5.

16 > 5.

3 titles and a 3rd place finish is way better than one single solitary runner up finish.

3 > 0.

UMn's had 3 MOPs, has WSU had any?

3 > 0.

UMn's produced 35 MLB All-Stars compared to WSU's 21.

35 > 21.

And I haven't even had to mention hockey yet. Our #2 ranked team is playing the #3 ranked team tonight. When was the last time WSU could EVER claim such a thing?
Keep bringing up back in the day. My statement is a fact that we are as relevant as you are in football and basketball.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep bringing up back in the day. My statement is a fact that we are as relevant as you are in football and basketball.

Oh WSU is definitely a better fb program than Minny

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MN started off the year beating up on some truly terrible teams, and you thought they were good. Which is fair, because they have been so dogshit for so long, it kind of looked like they could compete. Since then. they have lost to every team they have played with a pulse "Rules the world"
You mean the NMSU team that won 3 in a row recently? Yeah, they were deemed truly terrible after we beat them, but they've since done well for themselves. Not awesome, but better than Michigan's ooc opponents, just saying.

Colorado??? #4 TCU didn't do as well against them as UMn did. Neither has Oregon or UCLA beat Colorado as dominantly as UMn did.

The Purdue loss has a ton to due with our playing our 2nd game without our #1 WR and our only game without our #1 RB.

The Illini game? Well, we didn't play a very good game and Illinois did, but even so we had a shot to win that game. I thought they were clearly the better team at the time, but it may have just been that they were the better team that game?

The PSU game? Well, we actually were in this game late, until the refs inserted themselves and did everything they could to make sure PSU got the win. Things spiraled out of control late in the game as the Gophers got desperate after the refs handed PSU several favorable calls.

Otherwise, we crushed 4 teams that other highly rated teams did not crush as badly as we crushed them.

Maybe we are just the best at beating crappy teams? I could acknowledge that. We are designed to pummel teams with crappy defenses. To be honest we struggle against teams with good defenses like Illinois and Iowa. Without CAB in our lineup, our passing game has struggled, it's that simple. CAB has always been there for Tanner Morgan, in 2019, in 2020, and in 2021. Others weren't, our OC Kirk, for one, for 2 seasons, our RB Ibrahim for a season, but CAB was always there, until this year starting with the Purdue game.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not irrelevant, and they actually win Natl Titles.

More people recognize the name Brock Lesnar than any Duck alum, EVER. Or Ric Flair, or Vern Gagne?

Phil Kessel recently was acknowledged as the NHL's all-time IRON MAN, playing over 990 games in a row, he's close to 1000 now.

I wouldn't be surprised if more people didn't recognize him than any Duck sports alum ever.

I'm sure Paul Molitor and Dave Winfield along with Bronko Nagurski and Bud Grant, along with Bud Wilkinson, and Kevin McHale, ALL are more recognized than any Duck sports alum out there as well.

I mean, this isn't even funny how easy this is.

Patty Berg, Tom Lehman, Herb Brooks?

That's what? 13 alum that ALL probably are more recognizable names than any Oregon sports alum in existence? lol
Cool list, Phil Knight trumps all of them. Brock may be close but one even acknowledges that Flair has anything to do with Minnesota. Hell ask a real Flair fan and Minnesota won’t ever get brought up.

No one cares about hockey.

Brooks is the only one know and even then I’d bet 99% of the public wouldn’t know his name.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Purdue loss has a ton to due with our playing our 2nd game without our #1 WR and our only game without our #1 RB.

The Illini game? Well, we didn't play a very good game and Illinois did, but even so we had a shot to win that game. I thought they were clearly the better team at the time, but it may have just been that they were the better team that game?

The PSU game? Well, we actually were in this game late, until the refs inserted themselves and did everything they could to make sure PSU got the win. Things spiraled out of control late in the game as the Gophers got desperate after the refs handed PSU several favorable calls.

Otherwise, we crushed 4 teams that other highly rated teams did not crush as badly as we crushed them.

To be honest we struggle against teams with good defenses like Illinois and Iowa.

Lots of excuses...lots of losses.

Par for the course for the Goofers.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh WSU is definitely a better fb program than Minny
How so?

lol. Their dominating 7-4 record? Their dominating win over Wisconsin???

"definitely" is a word you should reserve for when something is obvious. WSU being better than the Gophers is not only NOT obvious, it's retarded to think the way you do.

WSU hasn't done anything this season to indicate they are better than the Gophers, NOTHING.

And nothing WSU has done since 2016 indicates they are better than the Gophers, either.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so?

lol. Their dominating 7-4 record? Their dominating win over Wisconsin???

"definitely" is a word you should reserve for when something is obvious. WSU being better than the Gophers is not only NOT obvious, it's retarded to think the way you do.

WSU hasn't done anything this season to indicate they are better than the Gophers, NOTHING.

And nothing WSU has done since 2016 indicates they are better than the Gophers, either.

Wazzu has been to major bowls much more recently than the Goofers.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool list, Phil Knight trumps all of them. Brock may be close but one even acknowledges that Flair has anything to do with Minnesota. Hell ask a real Flair fan and Minnesota won’t ever get brought up.

No one cares about hockey.

Brooks is the only one know and even then I’d bet 99% of the public wouldn’t know his name.
The same Phil Knight that uses child slave labor to make his millions?

And is Phil a "sports alum"??? I was restricting my thoughts to actual athletes who played on a Gopher sports team.
And sure, people know about Nike, but most don't have a clue who owns/runs Nike. Cfb fans know about Phil Knight, but otherwise the vast majority of the public don't have a clue who makes their Nikes, or that child slave labor was used to make them. It's a shame they don't.

And I only named "famous" people, not any "infamous" people. It's one thing to be recognized, it's another to be respected.

And the NHL pays NHLers more than the NFL pays NFLers, on average. SO you are wrong, some DO care about hockey. Otherwise there wouldn't be DOZENS of former Gophers making MILLIONS a year playing hockey.

As for Flair, doesn't matter if he embraces his going to UMn or not, doesn't change the fact he did go there. He went there at a time they were having a WSU moment, meaning they were sucking at everything for awhile there, lol. Like WSU has for almost their entire history as a University.

But the wrestlers BEFORE Flair and the wrestlers AFTER Flair all acknowledged and embraced UMn. If you don't know who Verne Gagne is, you are probably a youngen, or not into wrestling at all. He's the godfather of pro-wrestling, started the AWA.

And you think 99% wouldn't know Brooks name? Well, that's inaccurate, but even so, include the term "Miracle on Ice" and that 99% drops to 50%. Tell them the coach in the movie Miracle and they'd remember. I'd claim lower but the VAST majority of the American public are uneducated morons, especially the youngest generations.

Doesn't change my point. NO ONE knows who any Oregon sports alums are, outside of Oregon fans and uber diehard sports fans who know far too much about sports and have never gotten laid.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you so butt hurt about? I've never once ripped on UF as a school or as an Athletics Program, either. If I have, it was something minor and TRUE. No one is perfect, and no university is perfect, and no sports program is perfect, either. So if you are remembering something negative I said about UF in the past, get over it for fucks sake, holy sh1t dude.

I have high respect for UF. Not the highest, but close.

I don't remember ever criticizing UF about anything? But maybe I have? I mean this years UF fb team is what? 6-4? I ripped on Utah for losing to UF, because UF was not thought to be a contender this year, but Utah was. That's just a simple fact. Should I be more impressed with the 3 pt win over USF than I am? Maybe the 10 pt loss to 6-4 UK? Maybe the 7 pt win over 4-6 Mizzou? I'm NOT saying UF sucks, they don't. They've played a tough schedule, they rank slightly better than the Gophers, but that's mostly because of beating an overrated Utah, while UMn's total throttling of MSU is being underrated. MSU's played OSU, Mich, Wash, Illinois, Maryland, Wisconsin & of course, Minnesota and yet seems bound to qualify for a bowl game.

Has UF EVER not finished in the Top Ten of the Sears Directors Cup?

Didn't UF crack 1 Billion in Research recently?

Hasn't UF produced more Nobel Prize winners than any other SEC school?

Hasn't UF won Natl Titles in almost every sport program they have? 8 men's sports and 8 women's sports titles?

That's awesome!!

So not sure how you got the idea I was bashing your school or team and needed to confront me? Lighten up Francis, lol.

Bored. Crappy weather outside.

11-2 in Fleck's 3rd season. Prevented PSU from getting a CFP invite.

#13 in the nation in the number of draftees produced the last 3 NFL drafts. He should send a few more to the NFL in the 2023 draft.

Been a contender to win the West Division each of the last 3 non-covid seasons. Tied for the title in 2019 & probably will again in 2022.

Top Ten ranked defense last 2 seasons. Only team with 2 shutouts of FBS teams this season.

Asst coach, DC Rossi, is up for the Broyles Award.

Offensive line is up for the Joe Moore Award,

Center is the top rated center in P5 according to PFF & is up for the Outland Trophy and the Lombardi Award and of course First team All-American and the Rimington, obviously. If he wins the Outland, only 3 schools in the nation will have more Outland winners than UMn.

Mo Ibrahim has the longest 100 yard game streak, 18, since 2000. He's one of 6 B1G players in 127 years with 50 tds. He could get to 60?

He and his backup Potts are up for the Comeback Player of the year Award.

His 18 rushing tds leads the nation despite playing 1-2 fewer games than most everyone else chasing that title.

Mo's 140 yard rushing per game avg is ranked 3rd in the nation behind only a UAB rb and Illinois' rb.

With big enough games vs Iowa and Wisconsin and he always has his biggest games in bowl games, so he may end up back in the Heisman discussion? UMn's worst loss being the game he missed will help his resume as it shows how impactful he is.

If not the Heisman, then First team All-american RB, and the Doak Walker Award maybe?

Morgan's up for both the Wuerffel Trophy and the Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the year Award.

Axel Ruschmeyer is up for the Burlsworth Trophy.

Nubin could end up with some post season accolades? Trickett as well.

New coach in just his 2nd season has built up a team loaded with young talent with a Top 15-30 ranked recruit committed to coming next season. Combine that recruits arrival next year with the return of two injured juniors and a red shirted frosh hopefully being ready to play with everyone playing significant minutes this season returning next year and I have predicted they'll be Sweet 16 worthy next year with only one senior on next year's team so they could be even better in 2024-25.

This young coach is seemingly a talented coach, he's exciting the local bb community and fans with the quality of players he's bringing into the program. He's a home grown product and former Gopher which the local bb community seems to prefer/like, and he's black, so he won't ever need to be fired for being a racist or to satisfy some weird kind of affirmative action kind of thing.

The outlook for the women's team is even better.

Trip to Frozen Four just last spring in Coach Motzko's 4th season.

Arguably the #1 ranked recruiting class coming in for his 5th season.

UMn's the 2nd youngest team in the country.

Several more NHL first round picks committed to play for UMn starting either next year or the year after.

6-1 in last 7 hockey games.

4-2 win over #12 Ohio State,
4-1 win over #20 Notre Dame,
3-0 win over #20 Notre Dame,
2-4 loss to #6 Penn State,
3-1 win over #6 Penn State,

And...

5-2 win over #3 Michigan Thursday night,
6-3 win over #3 Michigan Friday night.

Denver doesn't play this weekend but what UMn did to the #3 ranked team team in the country should garner them a share of first place votes.

It puts them in the driver's seat in the B1G conf standings, a conf with 3 of the top 6 ranked teams in the country and 6 of the 7 teams currently ranked top 20.

My guess is teams will beat up on each other so one of the 6 will eventually drop out. But the B1G is easily the best conference right now and UMn has a commanding lead in the conf with the top 3 opponents already played.

4 games vs last place Wisc lie ahead and 4 vs #17 Mich St, and only 6 total left vs #3 Mich/#6 PSU/#12 OSU. So this bodes well towards UMn remaining in 1st, especially as their 2nd youngest lineup in the nation adapts to playing college level hockey.

If the NHL doesn't rob too many of these young hotshots too early, this could be the beginning of another mini/semi-dynasty for UMn?

Wow

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wazzu has been to major bowls much more recently than the Goofers.
Really?

2002 they got CRUSHED by both of the legit ooc opponents they played.

7-25 vs Ohio St and
14-34 vs Oklahoma.

and they lost to 7-6 Washington.

Hardly worthy of bowing down to them or something, lol.

Seems the only teams they were able to beat were weak ass Pac teams??? UMn's 2003 team also went 10-3, how was their 2002 season any better?

2018 WSU went 11-2, and beat ISU??? in their bowl game? lol WOW, Iowa St, lol.

2019 UMn went 11-2, and beat Top Ten ranked PSU and #14 ranked Auburn in their bowl game, FAR MORE impressive than beating fugging Iowa St, lol.

And I don't mean to nitpick but WSU has NEVER won a Rose Bowl. EVER!!!

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if coaching a B1G cfb program is SO easy, why aren't you?

It's easy to do the armchair qb thing, or the couch potato coaching thing, but it amazes me how many casual fans think they are experts, and if they were, PLEASE get a job coaching and help the Gophers, but none of your supposed experts ever do, you just sit on your fat asses on your couches and criticize those who did what was needed to actually get paid the big bucks to make the big decisions.

I'm NOT saying you don't have a right to criticize, but maybe be more cognizant of your lane/position in life. YOU could have earned the WMU job, but you didn't. YOU could have then earned the Gopher job, but you didn't. Have you EVER coached any sports team? Just asking. I mean....

So by your usual astute logic

Not a single person on earth can critque a coach in sports, unless they have the same job

Why are you such a fucking idiot

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you guys still arguing with clearly unhinged person

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MN started off the year beating up on some truly terrible teams, and you thought they were good. Which is fair, because they have been so dogshit for so long, it kind of looked like they could compete. Since then. they have lost to every team they have played with a pulse "Rules the world"
Bummer. There are no good teams in B1GW and mn still couldn't capitalize.

Stinks.

But still had fun, it's college football.

Mn needs to figure out passing attack.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know how you lose your coaches??

By being good.

Gophers suck fucking ass so no one wants their coaches. I ask again, why are you such a fucking idiot
Hey now, they're not Scott Frost Nebraska

They're an average b1g team

uga8766

Supreme Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't change the fact that Oregon can't keep their coaches.
I'm a little confused.

Oregon can't keep their coaches...and that is bad.
Minnesota keeps theirs...and that is good.
Minnesota has a large coaching tree by not keeping their coaches...and that is also good??

Seems like running in circles.