• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Bears as we enter the final four weeks of the season

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fair to say that the outlook for our team in these final four weeks isn't nearly as bad as it was in the first four. Considering we started 0-4 and looked as if we were heading to a consecutive worst record in the league, we've since shown we're really not all that bad. Maybe not playoff material yet, but since that initial four week debacle we've gone 5-4. After the first four games our point differential was -56. We've since cut that deficit back to -39. Nothing earth shattering, but better nonetheless.

We've seen improvement in pretty much all phases of our game, but easily the most striking has been with our defense, and if you delve a bit more into that side of the ball, it's our run defense that has been the most improved unit. It currently ranks 2nd in the league in surrendering yards per game. But also since the acquisition of Montez Sweat, our pass D has also started coming around. The pass rush is much better since his arrival. It hasn't necessarily translated to a big increase in sacks - we're still only ranked 30th with 21, but we've seen an increase in QB hurries, hits and just general pressure.

Bottom line is we're on the upswing. Whether or not this continues thru the final four weeks and more importantly, if this might carry over to next year remains to be seen. But I have to think the worst is behind us and better days are ahead.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're on the upswing but have the biggest questions at the two most important spots...QB and coaching. So it's hard to get too excited. But yeah, we're probably winning 7 games which I would have laughed at heartily if you told me that earlier in the season after the first few weeks. So that's nice. Tired of being a complete doormat.

Guessing Cleveland is going to eat our lunch...I just don't see Fields coming through. Would be big if he did though.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give fields another shot next year. Trade back from the Panthers number 1 pick for a haul. Get a blue chip prospect at LT. Get a blue chip WR prospect. Get a center that can start right away. Evaluate fields next year. I really don’t feel good about either QB at the top of this draft.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give fields another shot next year. Trade back from the Panthers number 1 pick for a haul. Get a blue chip prospect at LT. Get a blue chip WR prospect. Get a center that can start right away. Evaluate fields next year. I really don’t feel good about either QB at the top of this draft.

You know,I have been back and forth on Fields this year between sitting him,trading him and drafting a qb at 1 to being back to wanting him again for next season.....
He played great yesterday,and hes showing signs of being that no.1 we've been waiting for this year......
I think you're on to something here.........

By trading down at no.1,with so many teams needing qb,we could still have our 7th plus whatever top 10 team's 1st round and ask for this years no.2,next seasons no.1 plus whatever else they can get.......and some team will do it.

Out the top 10,we can get that oline plus wr as you suggested plus a position of want........and next seasons with 2 no.1s for what we need......

Im liking it.........

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disclaimer: I'm about to have dental work which may impact my current outlook.

Doesnt matter what they do here on out.
Fields is too inconsistent. Trade him.
Hope the Bears can maneuver another haul for the #1 overall pick too.
Hoping they fire Eberflus regardless of how many wins he gets. Single digit wins (total) in 2 years is awful, along with too many other negative "historic" stat lines that are now attached to his legacy.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hoping they fire Eberflus regardless of how many wins he gets. Single digit wins (total) in 2 years is awful, along with too many other negative "historic" stat lines that are now attached to his legacy.
I don't see any scenario where the Bears trade Fields and also trade down from the #1 pick, unless it only moved us down 2-3 spots max. That way there should still be a high rated QB available. Personally, I like BFG's scenario, assuming that Fields stays. As much I'm tempted by the idea of grabbing Harrison Jr with the Panthers pick, this is a WR-deep draft, or at least it is with 1st round level talent. We could trade down and there should still be a worthy wideout on the board.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see any scenario where the Bears trade Fields and also trade down from the #1 pick, unless it only moved us down 2-3 spots max. That way there should still be a high rated QB available. Personally, I like BFG's scenario, assuming that Fields stays. As much I'm tempted by the idea of grabbing Harrison Jr with the Panthers pick, this is a WR-deep draft, or at least it is with 1st round level talent. We could trade down and there should still be a worthy wideout on the board.

If the Bears are moving JF,they >enter expletive< better not trade out of the first pick.......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bears are moving JF,they >enter expletive< better not trade out of the first pick.......
Yeah, that was my thinking, altho as I mentioned, if they only moved 2-3 spots down, the chances of them still taking a QB are fairly strong. But otherwise, I'm with you. Why take chances. I think it's fair to say Poles is going to have several options this offseason.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that was my thinking, altho as I mentioned, if they only moved 2-3 spots down, the chances of them still taking a QB are fairly strong. But otherwise, I'm with you. Why take chances. I think it's fair to say Poles is going to have several options this offseason.
Well, I will support the Bears no matter what they do, but imo regardless of how ultra talented Caleb Williams is, his attitude, quirks and posturing are sending the message he is unstable.
Again, just my opinion, but winning doesn't reveal character. Losing and adversity reveal character. In his case, I see potential problems.
If this QB class is the best in decades, then getting the 2nd or 3rd best prospect is still better than Fields plus we avoid CW.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think if they wouldn't have shit the bed in the Denver and Detroit game.

How fucked up will it be if they win the next 3, and have an actual chance to back into the playoffs, only to lose AGAIN to Green Bay.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I will support the Bears no matter what they do, but imo regardless of how ultra talented Caleb Williams is, his attitude, quirks and posturing are sending the message he is unstable.
Again, just my opinion, but winning doesn't reveal character. Losing and adversity reveal character. In his case, I see potential problems.
If this QB class is the best in decades, then getting the 2nd or 3rd best prospect is still better than Fields plus we avoid CW.
I'm with you. No matter how next offseason goes, if for whatever reasons the Bears end up taking Williams, as always I will throw my full support to give him every chance to succeed as a Bear. But I'm not the least bit thrilled with what he's shown us mentally, not at all.
Just think if they wouldn't have shit the bed in the Denver and Detroit game.

How fucked up will it be if they win the next 3, and have an actual chance to back into the playoffs, only to lose AGAIN to Green Bay.
No blaspheme allowed in here BD, no blaspheme!!!!!

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears appear to be in a tough spot with Eberflus, not to mention Fields for a moment. He has the D playing hard for him and he has not lost the locker room.

Fields stats for his last 17 games: "has a passer rating of 92.3 with 3,004 yards, 25 touchdowns and 11 interceptions." That doesn't account for his feet either.

I know, slowish on the uptake, we would all love to see better consistency. But it is hard to turn your back on those stats.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears appear to be in a tough spot with Eberflus, not to mention Fields for a moment. He has the D playing hard for him and he has not lost the locker room.

Fields stats for his last 17 games: "has a passer rating of 92.3 with 3,004 yards, 25 touchdowns and 11 interceptions." That doesn't account for his feet either.

I know, slowish on the uptake, we would all love to see better consistency. But it is hard to turn your back on those stats.

We're keep 'em both and then score like 18 points per game next year. Who's with me?!?

Last edited:

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line on Cleveland is only 3?

People have way too much faith in us.

Cleveland is 6-1 at home with an average margin of victory of 8 points.

Steer clear gamblers.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're keep 'em both and then score like 18 points per game next year. Who's with me?!?
You're correct. The could always take a shot at a prima donna college QB, that has a new OC and Head coach who may teach him how to play the NFL game, or may not and the Bears manage 12 pts a game next year and the year after until the Team figures it out in year 3, maybe. We can see how well last year's best thing since sliced bread is working out in Charlotte. Or for that matter how Trevor Lawernce, the consensus #1 when Fields was drafted, is doing in Jacksonville.

I honestly, do not know what to think about the current situation. To me. When the season ends and if the Bears clean house immediately with the Coaching Staff, that will point to keeping the #1 pick and drafting a QB. The Bears do not clean house at the coaching spots, I bet the Bears keep Fields and add picks by trading #1.

To me, that's how I see it.

edit: Do any of you see a scenario where the Bears keep Eberflus and Getsy but just trade off Feilds and pick a QB? Would that solve anything? We fuss constantly about two things. Fields consistency and the terrible play calling. You could fix the consistency by a new QB, but can you change the system?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't want to start a new thread with the linked article here, so this one appears to be the best welcoming the New Year with these three resolutions:

To sum it up for those who don't want to bother reading the article:
1. Retain JJ, either thru extension or tag. I prefer the former, but retention is mandatory no matter which way.
2. Add two WRs. This seems pretty much a full on must do. After Moore, we're as thin at WR as a runway model.
3. Continue building the trenches. I feel we're a lot stronger on both lines than last year, but as the old cliché goes, you can never have enough.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think a better qb friendly oc i brought in.they were rumored to do that earlier this year.i,m not bears fan,but i,ve read that on several sites.