• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Babcock Death Watch - Jeff Blashill to be named Red Wings coach

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After hearing his post-game conference, I'm not so sure he's going to stick around. Some of his comments, coupled with the simple fact that he hasn't re-signed yet, leads me to believe that he is looking for something else. If he does go, we have a great coach in Jeff Blashill who I am more than confident in.

This is just my opinion, but I think that the relationship between Babcock and Holland has ran its course. Supposedly, Babcock went against what Holland wanted by benching guys like Weiss, Smith, and Howard. It lowered their value in case they're ever going to consider trading these guys (which is highly probable). Babcock wasn't concerned about this because he isn't planning on sticking around for the long haul, and he was more concerned with playing the better players now.

Lastly, not that it's directly related to Mike Babcock, but when you consider the fact that Weiss, Franzen, Howard, Cole, and Kindl are taking up $21 million in salary cap, and yet they combine for just 45 minutes of ice time in the playoffs, it's evident that some changes need to be made. Franzen and Cole should probably just hang 'em up. Weiss and Kindl need to be traded yesterday. Jimmy Howard's future with Detroit is in limbo at this point. With how well Mrazek has played, I'd say put Howard on the trading block and see what you can get for him.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After hearing his post-game conference, I'm not so sure he's going to stick around. Some of his comments, coupled with the simple fact that he hasn't re-signed yet, leads me to believe that he is looking for something else. If he does go, we have a great coach in Jeff Blashill who I am more than confident in.

This is just my opinion, but I think that the relationship between Babcock and Holland has ran its course. Supposedly, Babcock went against what Holland wanted by benching guys like Weiss, Smith, and Howard. It lowered their value in case they're ever going to consider trading these guys (which is highly probable). Babcock wasn't concerned about this because he isn't planning on sticking around for the long haul, and he was more concerned with playing the better players now.

Lastly, not that it's directly related to Mike Babcock, but when you consider the fact that Weiss, Franzen, Howard, Cole, and Kindl are taking up $21 million in salary cap, and yet they combine for just 45 minutes of ice time in the playoffs, it's evident that some changes need to be made. Franzen and Cole should probably just hang 'em up. Weiss and Kindl need to be traded yesterday. Jimmy Howard's future with Detroit is in limbo at this point. With how well Mrazek has played, I'd say put Howard on the trading block and see what you can get for him.

Detroit is in a really unique situation. They have this run of playoff appearances that makes them look like the gold standard (which they were for awhile), but it's almost caught up to them in a way. They're good at drafting late, so that's fine and all, but since their Cup win it's like they simply are good enough to get in, but that's it. Heck, that's most teams really, but it's almost like things have stagnated. They need fresh blood, new ideas, etc.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit is in a really unique situation. They have this run of playoff appearances that makes them look like the gold standard (which they were for awhile), but it's almost caught up to them in a way. They're good at drafting late, so that's fine and all, but since their Cup win it's like they simply are good enough to get in, but that's it. Heck, that's most teams really, but it's almost like things have stagnated. They need fresh blood, new ideas, etc.

I'm not even sure Mike Babcock is the right coach for the Wings. Thus far throughout his tenure he only won a Stanley Cup, and his team has been bounced out of the playoffs early. I believe the talents are really there. They were doing good for a while, and then the wheels came off. You can't compare Babcock with Scotty Bowman, but looking the success the Blackhawks are having, you have to wonder why the Wings can't be as successful as the Blackhawks.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure Mike Babcock is the right coach for the Wings. Thus far throughout his tenure he only won a Stanley Cup, and his team has been bounced out of the playoffs early. I believe the talents are really there. They were doing good for a while, and then the wheels came off. You can't compare Babcock with Scotty Bowman, but looking the success the Blackhawks are having, you have to wonder why the Wings can't be as successful as the Blackhawks.

That'd I'd place more on the GM. But when you compare lineups, there are similarities. D is where there's a discrepancy.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Babcock situation is more about whether he wants a change as opposed to the Wings being fed up with him.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D is where there's a discrepancy.

This. You need a solid goalie and defensive corps to win Cups. Losing Lidstrom, Rafalski and Stuart pretty much all at once was a devastating blow to their Cup contention.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Babcock situation is more about whether he wants a change as opposed to the Wings being fed up with him.

I agree. I think the Wings are still a strong candidate to retain him, but he wants to poke his nose around and see what else is out there first. Can't blame the man for that.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. You need a solid goalie and defensive corps to win Cups. Losing Lidstrom, Rafalski and Stuart pretty much all at once was a devastating blow to their Cup contention.

And replacing them with DeKeyser, Ericsson, and Quincey types won't help. A quick glance at their HERO charts has only Smith being a top pair quality Dman at suppressing shots. Zidlikcy was a perfect acquisition, but I don't know if they keep him...and he's 38.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking the success the Blackhawks are having, you have to wonder why the Wings can't be as successful as the Blackhawks.

The Blackhawks got by for a while with paying Toews and Kane a lot less than they're worth. Now that they've got their big contracts, they'll have to start jettisoning many of their key guys because there's not enough cap space left. Leddy is already gone, Oduya is probably out this year and Seabrook will be out next year because they simply can't fit them under the cap.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know Babcock at all, but seems to me his decision will be driven by 2 factors:

1 - $$$
2 - Strength of lineup on team he is coaching

His historic success and cred have got him to this point. If I am Mike, I consider both fairly equally.

No one will offer more $$ then TOR or BUF, but if I am Mike I am saying "why put myself through the development phase?". Teams like Columbus might have the roster, but do they have the $$ ?

What he will do is anyone's guess.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blackhawks got by for a while with paying Toews and Kane a lot less than they're worth. Now that they've got their big contracts, they'll have to start jettisoning many of their key guys because there's not enough cap space left. Leddy is already gone, Oduya is probably out this year and Seabrook will be out next year because they simply can't fit them under the cap.

Chicago does draft well and they've been plucking college free agents and guys from overseas too so I don't think there's much of a concern there - when you win as often as they do, it's an attractive landing spot for players and players will be willing to take less to play there, even if it's only for one or two years - they have no problem going through the cycle of overhauling 1/3rd or even half of their team because they're always going to be in contention with 19, 88 and 2 on board

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And replacing them with DeKeyser, Ericsson, and Quincey types won't help. A quick glance at their HERO charts has only Smith being a top pair quality Dman at suppressing shots. Zidlikcy was a perfect acquisition, but I don't know if they keep him...and he's 38.

I'm betting Holland pushes hard for Mike Green and lets Zidlicky walk.

Ericsson and Quincey are 3rd-pair guys playing on the 1st & 2nd pairs. DeKeyser and Smith are still early in their NHL careers and have a strong chance to develop into reliable top-4 guys, but that isn't netting playoff series wins now. Like I said in another thread, bringing in Mike Green as a top D pair with Kronwall and Beauchemin to pair with DeKeyser would go a long way in improving the corps. That's IF either UFA actually hits the open market.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ericsson and Quincey are 3rd-pair guys playing on the 1st & 2nd pairs. DeKeyser and Smith are still early in their NHL careers and have a strong chance to develop into reliable top-4 guys, but that isn't netting playoff series wins now. Like I said in another thread, bringing in Mike Green as a top D pair with Kronwall and Beauchemin to pair with DeKeyser would go a long way in improving the corps. That's IF either UFA actually hits the open market.

I think both those guys are going to CASH IN in this UFA market. Thing that stinks is that there's not a lot of product and the prices will be going up once FA hits.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know Babcock at all, but seems to me his decision will be driven by 2 factors:

1 - $$$

His historic success and cred have got him to this point. If I am Mike, I consider both fairly equally.

No one will offer more $$ then TOR or BUF, but if I am Mike I am saying "why put myself through the development phase?". Teams like Columbus might have the roster, but do they have the $$ ?

If you combine $$$ and strength of lineup, I'm guessing maybe the Flyers because of the defensive prospects that are there plus the current top guys that are there, but I'm wondering if there's enough depth right now and that would be something that might want him to look elsewhere - it's a top heavy team while the rest of the team just isn't very good

If Pittsburgh got rid of Mike Johnston, certainly that would be a good fit there but that won't happen at this point

Imagine this: Hitch leaves St. Louis and Mike Babcock goes there - that might be one of the better scenarios, actually - he has a stud in Tarasenko and some good solid blueline pieces - the concern would be that he might want more power for personnel moves and with Doug Armstrong there, he seems like someone who wouldn't necessarily give up the power very easily

I still think we have to wait until the second round is over - if Anaheim gets beat by Calgary, ALL BETS ARE OFF at that point

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 - $$$

Some coaches would probably want something like that for the challenge and personal growth it could bring.

I would liken it someone leaving a safe, stable job at a large company to take a much riskier job at a startup because of the sense of accomplishment that can come from that.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Detroit got Mike Green + Beauchemin, that would be the equivalent of the Caps getting Matt Niskanen and Brooks Orpik - on one hand, it would probably be a bit of an overpayment a few years down the road but right now it would make them better

I think they should look as much as they can in the trade market, not just for defense but for help up front - I actually think the defense was solid, all things considered late in the season - obviously Mrazek was great but the defense did well enough - I think as long as they find someone who can play top minutes and push Kronwall back a bit, they'll be better - forward group needs help though because 13 and 40 are not getting any younger and while some of the younger guys still have time to develop, you can't completely count on them yet - I think Detroit might be an aggressive trading team this offseason

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 - $$$

A lot of people expect money to be a big factor, but I think his gears turn from challenge and accomplishment much more than bank account. Maybe he sees a team like Toronto as a significant challenge he might want to tackle and try to flip the franchise into a success? I don't think he wants to start with no veteran leadership though, which is why I think teams like Buffalo and Edmonton are pretty much out of the question.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some coaches would probably want something like that for the challenge and personal growth it could bring.

I would liken it someone leaving a safe, stable job at a large company to take a much riskier job at a startup because of the sense of accomplishment that can come from that.

Haha. Great minds.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe they look at it like, "Okay if this fails I can always go back to where I used to be and not worry about what they think of me" but it always is a risk