• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Babcock Death Watch - Jeff Blashill to be named Red Wings coach

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Seth Jones, but I doubt anyone in the organization would value him enough to trade Mantha or Larkin for him unless it came with another major piece... and I don't know why Nashville would make that trade.

I honestly think Nyquist is more likely to be traded than Mantha or Larkin.

I was thinking about Nyquist too because he did struggle a bit this season but I'm not sure they'd trade him either

The reason I think Nashville COULD make the deal is that they'd want more offense I guess but I agree that some of those deals can be hard to do

If I'm the Red Wings, I look to move Jimmy Howard and get whatever I can in return and then look at trading for Brian Elliott - he's a cheaper option and at least for a year he could be a 1A/1B to Mrazek

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread makes me sad. :pout:
I was thinking about Nyquist too because he did struggle a bit this season but I'm not sure they'd trade him either

The reason I think Nashville COULD make the deal is that they'd want more offense I guess but I agree that some of those deals can be hard to do

If I'm the Red Wings, I look to move Jimmy Howard and get whatever I can in return and then look at trading for Brian Elliott - he's a cheaper option and at least for a year he could be a 1A/1B to Mrazek

I don't think it's necessary or wise to trade Jimmy right now.
1) Mrazek is still on his rookie contract for another year.
2) If both goalies happen to play well next year, Jimmy's trade value would be much greater than it is right now and net a heftier package in return.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's necessary or wise to trade Jimmy right now.
1) Mrazek is still on his rookie contract for another year.
2) If both goalies happen to play well next year, Jimmy's trade value would be much greater than it is right now and net a heftier package in return.

I get that and he could always bounce back again but we'll see what they do with some of the other high priced contracts - they're paying some guys a lot of money to do nothing

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that and he could always bounce back again but we'll see what they do with some of the other high priced contracts - they're paying some guys a lot of money to do nothing

Can't argue with that.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think they end up doing with those guys?

Cleary is gone no matter what. The only way Monster stays is if Howard or Mrazek gets traded, retires or dies. I think Zidlicky is gone if Holland hooks Green, which I've expected to happen one way or another since day 1 of free agency last year. I think Cole's re-signing could be tied to Babcock's re-signing; if Babcock leaves, importing youth from Grand Rapids will be more prevelant than latching onto the old vets like Cole.

I'm pretty sure the Wings are stuck with Franzen until retirement and Weiss until his contract expires.

A lot of what Holland can do this offseason will hinge on how much he has to pay for Nyquist and Smith, both RFAs.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem with the wings isn't babcock. it's holland's inability to make up his mind on weather to go all in for a cup run or do a complete rebuild. rebuilding on the fly is why they are making the playoffs but going out early

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really hoping the way the Penguins crashed out at the end of the season mgmt would see the need for someone like Babcock and make a pitch. But they are too arrogant and convinced things would have been different save for injuries. That's true to some extent, but MJ isn't a difference maker. Babcock is.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mantha's going to Toronto once Kenny comes knocking on Shanny's door for Phaneuf again.

Scenario:
NHL Draft goes McDavid, Eichel, Strome.

As soon as Strome comes off the board, Ken Holland calls offering Anthony Mantha for the 4th Overall pick. What do you do?

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really hoping the way the Penguins crashed out at the end of the season mgmt would see the need for someone like Babcock and make a pitch. But they are too arrogant and convinced things would have been different save for injuries. That's true to some extent, but MJ isn't a difference maker. Babcock is.
This!

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but looking the success the Blackhawks are having, you have to wonder why the Wings can't be as successful as the Blackhawks.

Because the Wings didn't suck for 20 years and load up their system with top of each round draft choices.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babcock will do well in Boston :thumb:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babcock will do well in Boston :thumb:

could happen ... after all, through their work together with Hockey Canada, Babcock developed a solid working relationship with Boston GM Peter Chiarelli

/wait a second ...

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scenario:
NHL Draft goes McDavid, Eichel, Strome.

As soon as Strome comes off the board, Ken Holland calls offering Anthony Mantha for the 4th Overall pick. What do you do?

Pass.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babcock is going to be a great coach wherever he goes. Right now I think he leaves Detroit, where he coaches next? Your guess is as good as mine.