• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Babcock Death Watch - Jeff Blashill to be named Red Wings coach

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Detroit got Mike Green + Beauchemin, that would be the equivalent of the Caps getting Matt Niskanen and Brooks Orpik - on one hand, it would probably be a bit of an overpayment a few years down the road but right now it would make them better

I think they should look as much as they can in the trade market, not just for defense but for help up front - I actually think the defense was solid, all things considered late in the season - obviously Mrazek was great but the defense did well enough - I think as long as they find someone who can play top minutes and push Kronwall back a bit, they'll be better - forward group needs help though because 13 and 40 are not getting any younger and while some of the younger guys still have time to develop, you can't completely count on them yet - I think Detroit might be an aggressive trading team this offseason

Yeah, that's going to be anyone who wants to make a move. Cap is squashing a lot of things, which is bad but leads to creative moves and risks.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they look at it like, "Okay if this fails I can always go back to where I used to be and not worry about what they think of me" but it always is a risk
Any guy that's been around long enough and earned a rep like Babcock has will get another good gig even if he has a disastrous stint with a team, I think.

Once it becomes habit, well that's something else entirely.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Detroit got Mike Green + Beauchemin, that would be the equivalent of the Caps getting Matt Niskanen and Brooks Orpik - on one hand, it would probably be a bit of an overpayment a few years down the road but right now it would make them better

I think they should look as much as they can in the trade market, not just for defense but for help up front - I actually think the defense was solid, all things considered late in the season - obviously Mrazek was great but the defense did well enough - I think as long as they find someone who can play top minutes and push Kronwall back a bit, they'll be better - forward group needs help though because 13 and 40 are not getting any younger and while some of the younger guys still have time to develop, you can't completely count on them yet - I think Detroit might be an aggressive trading team this offseason

Holland has taken a lot of heat for whiffing on free agents the past few years. I agree that it will definitely be an overpayment, but that's what it's going to take - or he knows his job will be next on the block. Personally, I think the Ducks re-sign Beauchemin before he hits the open market, but the Wings could really use a guy like that to help develop DeKeyser, Smith and the guys in Grand Rapids for a couple years.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One interesting thing about Babcock's reputation: it's seemed to have saved him from criticism quite a bit. I guess I can't help but look at his last 6 years and Dan Bylsma's last 5 years of coaching. One was strung up by the thumbs by national and local media alike, but Babs is somehow immune. Sort of baffles me. I wonder if the international success helps that somehow.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's going to be anyone who wants to make a move. Cap is squashing a lot of things, which is bad but leads to creative moves and risks.

I know all the Wings fans love Mantha and Larkin but I wonder if it meant getting a top d-man or a top line forward, would they make a move like that? I'm not saying they necessarily could get a top two d-man or top line forward for them but I think that would be one of those bold moves Detroit should look at making - yes, you don't want to give up young talent all the time but it's not like they've been making deep runs the last 3-4 years so if it's something that could be a big difference maker, they should consider it

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Mac on Canucks lunch just said that he thinks the Oilers are the favourite to land Babcock if he decides to leave Detroit.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One interesting thing about Babcock's reputation: it's seemed to have saved him from criticism quite a bit. I guess I can't help but look at his last 6 years and Dan Bylsma's last 5 years of coaching. One was strung up by the thumbs by national and local media alike, but Babs is somehow immune. Sort of baffles me. I wonder if the international success helps that somehow.

I actually think some of Babcock's best coaching years came in these last few years when the Wings had injuries and he let the young players play - it showed me that he can handle a young group and develop them

He had some years early on in Detroit where they got upset or didn't make it to the Finals and a lot of his reputation comes from the cup he did win in Detroit - they had LOTS of veterans on that team

But he has been really, really good the last few seasons with the young talent there - it was going to be difficult to do much more with what he had and he pretty much maxed out what they could do, which is what a top level coach does

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know all the Wings fans love Mantha and Larkin but I wonder if it meant getting a top d-man or a top line forward, would they make a move like that? I'm not saying they necessarily could get a top two d-man or top line forward for them but I think that would be one of those bold moves Detroit should look at making - yes, you don't want to give up young talent all the time but it's not like they've been making deep runs the last 3-4 years so if it's something that could be a big difference maker, they should consider it

Like who? I think it would have to be a Claude Giroux-level acquisition to give away Mantha or Larkin.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think some of Babcock's best coaching years came in these last few years when the Wings had injuries and he let the young players play - it showed me that he can handle a young group and develop them

He had some years early on in Detroit where they got upset or didn't make it to the Finals and a lot of his reputation comes from the cup he did win in Detroit - they had LOTS of veterans on that team

But he has been really, really good the last few seasons with the young talent there - it was going to be difficult to do much more with what he had and he pretty much maxed out what they could do, which is what a top level coach does

Again, I make comparisons to Bylsma and the year he got the Sid/Geno-less team into the playoffs. My point isn't necessarily that he was the problem or reason they've plateaued, but that it's odd he gets very little flak for early postseason exits.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like who? I think it would have to be a Claude Giroux-level acquisition to give away Mantha or Larkin.

That's exactly what I'm thinking - the Flyers won't trade Claude Giroux but that's what Detroit should look at doing if they can get something like that

Or something outlandish like Mantha or Larkin for Seth Jones

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I make comparisons to Bylsma and the year he got the Sid/Geno-less team into the playoffs. My point isn't necessarily that he was the problem or reason they've plateaued, but that it's odd he gets very little flak for early postseason exits.

I think there were times where Bylsma out-coached himself and did some really dumb things - not to say that Babcock was ever perfect but I don't remember a time where Babcock got absolutely out-coached and it was obvious to everyone - Bylsma did pretty good in the year where he got them in without those guys but there were a lot of other years where he was close to full strength and they looked bad in the playoffs

Pittsburgh probably should have done more with Bylsma and that's why he got more flak - I honestly don't think Babcock would have done much more with these Wings teams in the last few years

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what I'm thinking - the Flyers won't trade Claude Giroux but that's what Detroit should look at doing if they can get something like that

Or something outlandish like Mantha or Larkin for Seth Jones

I like Seth Jones, but I doubt anyone in the organization would value him enough to trade Mantha or Larkin for him unless it came with another major piece... and I don't know why Nashville would make that trade.

I honestly think Nyquist is more likely to be traded than Mantha or Larkin.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ugh BobMac on vancouver radio saying he thinks Edmonton will be Babcocks #1 destination if he decides not to return to Detroit

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people expect money to be a big factor, but I think his gears turn from challenge and accomplishment much more than bank account. Maybe he sees a team like Toronto as a significant challenge he might want to tackle and try to flip the franchise into a success? I don't think he wants to start with no veteran leadership though, which is why I think teams like Buffalo and Edmonton are pretty much out of the question.

If it's just money, nobody is going to outbid Ilitch.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ugh BobMac on vancouver radio saying he thinks Edmonton will be Babcocks #1 destination if he decides not to return to Detroit

I've been mattola'ed by jstew (lol)

/Sekeres is already calling McDavid a superstar

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ oops?

did you hear the guy pitch the Vrbata for Pouliot trade???

/wasnt me lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Seth Jones, but I doubt anyone in the organization would value him enough to trade Mantha or Larkin for him unless it came with another major piece... and I don't know why Nashville would make that trade.

I honestly think Nyquist is more likely to be traded than Mantha or Larkin.
Mantha's going to Toronto once Kenny comes knocking on Shanny's door for Phaneuf again.