• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Crabtree

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whats everyones thoughts on Crabtree?

Do you think what were seeing is what were going to get or are there greater things for him.

Has he met your expectations from when he was drafted?

My thoughts on him is he appears to be getting open quite often. This is one of the more underated things when evaluating a receiver that people overlook. Partly because of this, he's exceeding my expectations and could see him doing quite well. Him and Smith need to get on the same page and if he can fix the occasional drops, he could start to put up some real nice numbers. Seems like almost everyweek theres a big play that is so close but just missed by a little bit.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it is pretty obvious he won't ever meet expectations. i'm hoping he turns into a solid #2 that can make plays in the middle of the field. eventually turning into that goto guy to pick up first downs.

drafting a guy that high u want a #1, and that isn't crabtree. but that was one of the worst top 15s over the past dozen or so years

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think it is pretty obvious he won't ever meet expectations. i'm hoping he turns into a solid #2 that can make plays in the middle of the field. eventually turning into that goto guy to pick up first downs.

drafting a guy that high u want a #1, and that isn't crabtree. but that was one of the worst top 15s over the past dozen or so years

It took Brandon Lloyd a little while to put it all together, and the same could be true for Crab. I have faith in the kid.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think one can say he's the worst top 15 draft picks... he actually plays, catches(drops easy one but make leaping ones IDK) and since Morgan fell off, he's been more part of the game than just a WR catching balls...

IMO He's a great solid #2 guy right now....

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to give him the benefit of the doubt, since he has had injury issues the last two years. Although last year was a major failure for him, he lingered in sick bay to get out of Training Camp... and it must have been pretty obvious at the 49ers facilities since VD confronted him about the issue. Plus, Singletary gave him the best opportunity of his career by forcing the 49ers to throw him the ball 7-8 times a game and he had a garbage season.

But, he's a 49er so I still support him and hope he does well, but I don't see him ever meeting expectations until he can have some good fortune and stay healthy. Right now, it looks like even if he has a healthy year.. he'll still be nothing more than a solid #2. Seems like his heart isn't really in the present day, considering his big plans for the bye week were to get back to the Texas Tech homecoming to bask in the glory of his past.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've been pretty vocal on Crabtree, mostly because a couple people tend to fly off the handle on him, but my perspective is that he's a pretty good #2 possession-type at this point. I think he has the potential to be a mid-level #1 guy, but he hasn't put that together for a few reasons. Now, even if he hits that level, he'd be something of a disappointment given the pick we used on him. That said, I'm a bit less hard on draft picks than most people are as even in the first round, only 60% or so even turn into solid starters, much less pro bowlers.

Regarding Crabtree more specifically, he has impressed me lately with his ability to get open. Early in the year, he had some bad drops, but he's cleaned that up recently. However, while he has made some nice catches, especially on high balls, he has continued to drop balls that he has got to catch. The potential TD this week, for instance, was a tough ball, but one he has GOT to catch to take the next step. A few weeks ago - can't recall if it was against Cleveland or Washington - he dropped a deep ball that would have been a big play at that point. I wouldn't consider those drops as such, but they're balls a go-to player has got to catch.

Finally, for Crabtree to really excel, he's got to have a good rapport with his QB. He hasn't had that, and he's largely to blame - granted I don't fault him all that much for what appeared to be a legit injury this year. But while Smith has improved his play a lot this year, he still isn't as pinpoint with his touch or accuracy as the greats, and that hurts Crabtree more than it might hurt other guys.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i could see him developing along the lines of reggie wayne. very good #2, becoming a solid #1 later in his career because of excellent chemistry with his QB. once he gets some long balls under his belt and CBs have to start playing that more, things will start to open up for him. the problem now is that they play him very tight knowing that he rarely goes deep.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think one can say he's the worst top 15 draft picks... he actually plays, catches(drops easy one but make leaping ones IDK) and since Morgan fell off, he's been more part of the game than just a WR catching balls...

IMO He's a great solid #2 guy right now....

Gotta disagree with you on this one, 'X'.

A WR cannot be as inconsistent and undependable as Crabtree and be a solid number anything. Consistency and dependability are implicit with being solid. Perhaps your definition of solid is different than mine.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been pretty vocal on Crabtree, mostly because a couple people tend to fly off the handle on him, but my perspective is that he's a pretty good #2 possession-type at this point. I think he has the potential to be a mid-level #1 guy, but he hasn't put that together for a few reasons. Now, even if he hits that level, he'd be something of a disappointment given the pick we used on him. That said, I'm a bit less hard on draft picks than most people are as even in the first round, only 60% or so even turn into solid starters, much less pro bowlers.

Regarding Crabtree more specifically, he has impressed me lately with his ability to get open. Early in the year, he had some bad drops, but he's cleaned that up recently. However, while he has made some nice catches, especially on high balls, he has continued to drop balls that he has got to catch. The potential TD this week, for instance, was a tough ball, but one he has GOT to catch to take the next step. A few weeks ago - can't recall if it was against Cleveland or Washington - he dropped a deep ball that would have been a big play at that point. I wouldn't consider those drops as such, but they're balls a go-to player has got to catch.

Finally, for Crabtree to really excel, he's got to have a good rapport with his QB. He hasn't had that, and he's largely to blame - granted I don't fault him all that much for what appeared to be a legit injury this year. But while Smith has improved his play a lot this year, he still isn't as pinpoint with his touch or accuracy as the greats, and that hurts Crabtree more than it might hurt other guys.

"I've been pretty vocal on Crabtree, mostly because a couple people tend to fly off the handle on him"

Keep in mind, by contrast, you're one of those "couple people" who fly off the handle as well. Crabtree is an average WR and saying so isn't flying off the handle, it's merely stating a fact - try to calm down.

"but my perspective is that he's a pretty good #2 possession-type at this point."

Sounds like someone is waking up. Stating now that Crabtree: "is a pretty good #2 possession-TYPE [wr] at this point" is in my book and the books of many others I would assume, a rung or two below implying he is a solid #2 WR.

As I mentioned to 'X', you cannot be as inconsistent and undependable as Crabtree and be a solid anything. Consistency and dependability are implicit with being solid. Even being 'pretty good' requires more than what he has delivered. Right now, Crabtree is what I would call 'undefined' as a receiver.

He is neither a vertical threat nor a possession receiver. He is too un-athletic to be one and too inconsistent to be the other; thus, he is undefined. However, and honestly speaking, if he has too many more games similar to this past Sunday, he will be defined as #3 on the depth chart beginning next season or sooner.

"I think he has the potential to be a mid-level #1 guy, but he hasn't put that together for a few reasons."

I wonder what he is considered to be in fantasy leagues?

The above statement perhaps more than any other epitomizes the difference in our opinion of Crabtree. I see Crabtree for what he is, you see him for what you believe he has the potential to become. When I hear the word potential, I am reminded of the words of Bill Parcells, "potential means you ain't done shit yet!"

But I am curious, aside from blaming Alex Smith and other factors, what deficiencies or "reasons" can you attribute to just Crabtree for having not yet reached this mid-level #1 WR status you claim he has?

"Now, even if he hits that level, he'd be something of a disappointment given the pick we used on him. That said, I'm a bit less hard on draft picks than most people are as even in the first round, only 60% or so even turn into solid starters, much less pro bowlers."

I think if he hit the level of performance and production associated with a mid-level #1 he would be achieving a fair expectation for his draft slot. As for the draft pick comment, I guess the question here is, at the point, when it becomes clear that we reached, do you/we just accept it?

"Regarding Crabtree more specifically, he has impressed me lately with his ability to get open."

Well, Crimson, considering he is, after-all, a WR, I'm kind of excited about this - Yeah Crabtree! :cheer2:

"Early in the year, he had some bad drops, but he's cleaned that up recently. However, while he has made some nice catches, especially on high balls, he has continued to drop balls that he has got to catch."

This statement seems false as well as contradictive, I'll explain. Crabtree had a drop on a short pass that cost us a 1st down against CLE, resulting in a punt from inside our five, and I certainly would not call Sunday's drop a good drop. As for the contradiction, this is what you wrote with the fluff removed:

"Early in the year, he had some bad drops, but he's cleaned that up recently. However, he continues to drop balls that he has got to catch."

To me, the very definition of a 'bad drop' is dropping a pass that you 'got to catch'.

"The potential TD this week, for instance, was a tough ball, but one he has GOT to catch, and he dropped a deep ball that would have been a big play at that point. [However], I wouldn't consider those drops as such"

Honest question. Does it ever occur to you as you write out your posts that any player who needs so many excuses, or statements of outright denial on their behalf as is the case with your above comment, that maybe the player just isn't very good?

Think about the following for a moment, Joshua Morgan, Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Ted Ginn, Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter & Kyle Williams all operate in the same offense and have the same QB as Michael Crabtree and yet not one of them need a single excuse for their performance's this year.

"Finally, for Crabtree to really excel, he's got to have a good rapport with his QB. He hasn't had that, and he's largely to blame. But while Smith has improved his play a lot this year, he still isn't as pinpoint with his touch or accuracy as the greats, and that hurts Crabtree more than it might hurt other guys."

With the above comment I just wanted to make a few corrections. The first part should have been written as such:

"Finally, for Crabtree to really excel, he's got to have (among many other things) good rapport with his QB. He doesn't have that and aside from some unfortunate as well as suspicious circumstances, he has only himself to blame."

And finally, and this is my favorite of all your Crabtree excuses and perhaps the most hilarious excuse I have ever read or heard afforded an NFL WR

"...while Smith has improved his play a lot this year, he still isn't as pinpoint with his touch or accuracy as the greats, and that hurts Crabtree more than it might hurt other guys."

Seriously? Well maybe we can ask the league for permission to allow Smith to cross the LOS to get a little closer when throwing to Crabtree, or perhaps we can just run the ball downfield and hand it to Crabtree?

Sorry, I just had to poke a little fun at your whole 'pinpoint accuracy' excuse. Besides, Smith is currently ranked 6th in the league in completion percent; thus, it is clearly not Smith who is hurting Crabtree.

And once again, not one of our other receivers needs this excuse, only Crabtree needs this excuse. Just for the record, any NFL receiver would likely be offended by this excuse; therefore, by affording it to Crabtree you only make him look worse - not better. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The poor guy has been through several OCs and systems, he deserves a chance to show what he can do with some stability...Or does that argument only fly for one 49er?

He has been hurt, playing with a bad QB (up until this year) in ever changing systems. He gets beat up way too much here, usually by Smith apologists.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it comes down to him and Smith not having any chemistry yet. But you are starting to see a little bit more each week. A big thing that I noticed, during the Washington game I think, was that the cameras went to the sideline and Crabtree and Smith were sitting on the bench next to each other laughing and talking. It didn't look like two guys who just passed by and made a joke... it looked like they were friends. I know it doesn't seem like much, but that's a good sign compared to how Crabtree was acting during the offseason. Chemistry is a huge issue with QB and WR. I think Crabtree will have a big second half of the season.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The poor guy has been through several OCs and systems, he deserves a chance to show what he can do with some stability...Or does that argument only fly for one 49er?

He has been hurt, playing with a bad QB (up until this year) in ever changing systems. He gets beat up way too much here, usually by Smith apologists.

I've come a long way on Crabtree, but the above is pushing it. He's had "ever changing systems?" It's his 3rd year and 2nd system. His first two years he was in the same system. I think you meant he'd been playing in a bad system (until this year) with ever changing QBs.

My biggest issue with Crabtree has always been his attitude, and that seems to have improved leaps and bounds this year. He appears to have grown up and embraced the concept of team. Was he worth the tenth pick? Not necessarily. Look at the performance of 10th overall picks in recent history. Just don't go back to 1995. It's tough to look at that one.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I beat up on Crabtree a lot, and I'm far from an Alex apologist. In fact, I'd like to replace both of them in the near future if the opportunity presents itself.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've come a long way on Crabtree, but the above is pushing it. He's had "ever changing systems?" It's his 3rd year and 2nd system. His first two years he was in the same system. I think you meant he'd been playing in a bad system (until this year) with ever changing QBs.

My biggest issue with Crabtree has always been his attitude, and that seems to have improved leaps and bounds this year. He appears to have grown up and embraced the concept of team. Was he worth the tenth pick? Not necessarily. Look at the performance of 10th overall picks in recent history. Just don't go back to 1995. It's tough to look at that one.

I was using the Smith excuses that were rolled out year after year.
I wouldn't wait six years for Crabtree but I think he could be a good contributor to the team at some point.
I think he gets a lot of flack for the past two seasons and I don't think he has been that big of a flop all things considered.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I beat up on Crabtree a lot, and I'm far from an Alex apologist. In fact, I'd like to replace both of them in the near future if the opportunity presents itself.

When Crabtree is the worst receiver the team has that might be prudent but they need him now.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chemistry with his QB is COMPLETELY Crab's fault. Crabtree is a competent #2 at this stage in his career with the idea that a) it offering him room to grow into a full sized adult #2 by tagging him a competent #2 and b) the Niners comtinue to employ WR worse then him. I wanted the Niners to draft Crab and was ecstatic that he fell to us. I wasn't expecting the Training Camp bout of vaginitis the last two years nor was I expecting the long contract holdout the year before. I despise his demeanor, that of which I liken to guys like Cutler....prickly, non-chalant seemingly uninterested demeanor yet REALLY despise his drops and lack of accountability. When I hear him make excuses, I ALWAYS think of those Bud Light commercials with Leon the RB.

Reporter: What did you think about the game today?

Leon: Leon is only one man. Leon can only do so much.

Reporter: But Leon, how do you account for your four fumbles?

Leon: If my teammates were there, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

Crabtree has until this time next year to prove his worth to this team IMO because the Niners are coming close to the point where he is either on board or he's not. He's either putting the time to get better WITH HIS TEAMMATES or he's out on his ass. No more vaginitis flair-ups, no doing ANYTHING but JUG machines and steady doses of EXTRA practice time with Alex Smith. That would go a long way to pointing him in the direction that many of us Niner fans would like to see him go, which is trending towards justifying the high draft position.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will have a chance to prove that he can be a #1 until his contract is up. There's no way we pay him like a #1 WR with what he has done thus far. He's got this year and next to show what he's got or accept a smaller contract to be the #2 guy, which i could be on board with. He does seem to have a better attitude this year which imac already pointed out.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

our offense looks a lot better when crabtree isn't the 'goto' guy

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say he's pretty far behind the learning curve in the NFL, but he still has some upside. He's starting to make some plays now, and I think that has a direct correlation with the consistency at the QB position. He's not met expectations, but I still think he can produce at a very good level in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.