• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maybe I'm beating my head against a wall.....but isn't this obvious, at long last???

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Allen was known to be good at exactly what Reid said he was good at and his reputation was that he was weak when it comes to personnel.

I know I just made a post like this but to me it all rots from the head down. If you wanted to make Allen GM someone should have hired a competent personnel guy. He hired a HC (he is subjective) and then didn't let him hire his own coaches.

Same ole, same ole ....

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well that is the half empty version but lets look at the half fool side

DJAX was lucked into? yes but every team in the nfl would have wanted him and HE signed him almost immediately

andre roberts has been a very good 3rd wr and he has stabilized the return game . add to it that his presence gives us some leverage vs garcon and that is a good PU

lavou was over paid , true

hatcher , so far over paid

rak franchising him didnt turn out however we can get him at a much cheaper cost now . plus you should go out on a limb for a core redskin

murphy appears to be a good draft pick and softens the blow if you cant resign rak

grant has turned out to be a find at wr

breeland looks like an answer at CB

tres way fixed the punting issue we have had for a long time

kearse has been a surprise on the d/line

what happens to our secondary if clark isnt on the field ? yeah he is a stopgap

he picked up colt mccoy as well and has worked out well for us

he made the right call on keeping alexander and not drafting an ILB

now this is year one for him in this role . and yes getting his personnel upgraded could be done

but what he did in year one is far from a failure at this point and JR needs to understand you cant fix every issue in one off season

i think we have more depth . i think we are getting more out of some players (paul) and we have a shot at doubling our wins :suds:

as for snyder , you are wasting your textual breath

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen didn't want to give up a 5th round pick for Sproles. Remember that guys. There were actually people on here that agreed with the Skins for not giving up there 5th for Sproles.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen didn't want to give up a 5th round pick for Sproles. Remember that guys. There were actually people on here that agreed with the Skins for not giving up there 5th for Sproles.

How do you know that he didn't? In fact, how do you know what he offered at all?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know that he didn't? In fact, how do you know what he offered at all?

my thoughts exactly . i think philly got the only chance to make an offer

and how do you know that the cap didnt have anything to do with it ?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well that is the half empty version but lets look at the half fool side

DJAX was lucked into? yes but every team in the nfl would have wanted him and HE signed him almost immediately

andre roberts has been a very good 3rd wr and he has stabilized the return game . add to it that his presence gives us some leverage vs garcon and that is a good PU

lavou was over paid , true

hatcher , so far over paid

rak franchising him didnt turn out however we can get him at a much cheaper cost now . plus you should go out on a limb for a core redskin

murphy appears to be a good draft pick and softens the blow if you cant resign rak

grant has turned out to be a find at wr

breeland looks like an answer at CB

tres way fixed the punting issue we have had for a long time

kearse has been a surprise on the d/line

what happens to our secondary if clark isnt on the field ? yeah he is a stopgap

he picked up colt mccoy as well and has worked out well for us

he made the right call on keeping alexander and not drafting an ILB

now this is year one for him in this role . and yes getting his personnel upgraded could be done

but what he did in year one is far from a failure at this point and JR needs to understand you cant fix every issue in one off season

i think we have more depth . i think we are getting more out of some players (paul) and we have a shot at doubling our wins :suds:

as for snyder , you are wasting your textual breath

Roberts was signed to be a number 2. Not his fault they signed DJax but he didn't get number 3 money. He has 25 catches (5th best on the team) on 50 targets. Poor percentage. In Washington people are questioning the move.

Grant has 5 catches for the year. All against Jacksonville. I'd hold the praise for the moment.

McGlynn, Potter, re-signing Biggers, re-signing Orakpo at $11 million instead of getting a safety. Free agents have been more negative than positive.

Breeland and Murphy playing in place of Hall and Orakpo is a plus. We'll see about Moses and Long.

The feeling in Washington is the return on money spent is negative.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts was signed to be a number 2. Not his fault they signed DJax but he didn't get number 3 money. He has 25 catches (5th best on the team) on 50 targets. Poor percentage. In Washington people are questioning the move.

Grant has 5 catches for the year. All against Jacksonville. I'd hold the praise for the moment.

McGlynn, Potter, re-signing Biggers, re-signing Orakpo at $11 million instead of getting a safety. Free agents have been more negative than positive.

Breeland and Murphy playing in place of Hall and Orakpo is a plus. We'll see about Moses and Long.

The feeling in Washington is the return on money spent is negative.

The last sentence is very subjective. I am sure that if you took a poll here, on ES or at FedEx you would get mixed results. I don't feel that he has done a bad job or spent the money poorly (& others agree) while others don't.

I can't believe that you brought up Biggers. That was $800k contract with a minimal bonus. Lots of GMs would have made the same move. Ditto Orakpo. I can almost guarantee that if they didn't re-sign him lots of folks here & elsewhere would be bitching - live & learn. It should be a plus to free up some of his money this offseason, but I don't believe that it was a no-brainer to get rid of him last offseason (& he may not have agreed to less money).

Grant appears to be a good move to me - time will tell. The reason that he doesn't have many catches is due to the depth at the position now. It may seem foolish but let this one play out - he may be needed in the future. Roberts has had some issues, but I (as well as many others) still like the pickup especially since he has had a positive effect on the return game.

Oh well - for the most part this will play out over time. My take is that we still need another year or two of evaluation before passing judgement on Allen. Almost all good GMs are going to have good & bad moves over time - the key is minimizing the bad ones. I would have no problem if Allen obtained some help in the personnel area & also beefed up the scouting dept. Again - this may be in the works - none of know. We will see.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap didnt have anything to do with it. It was before the Jackson signing. I believe we offered a 6th for Sproles. but why would a team take a late 5th when they could come back to us and ask for a early 5th. Doesn't make sense to me unless the Skins declined the offer of a 5th round pick.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap didnt have anything to do with it. It was before the Jackson signing. I believe we offered a 6th for Sproles. but why would a team take a late 5th when they could come back to us and ask for a early 5th. Doesn't make sense to me unless the Skins declined the offer of a 5th round pick.

show me what the skins offered . i havent seen anything on it . and of course the cap could have had something to do with it . perhaps they thought our rb situation is good with morris and helu and we need to put resources somewhere else

look allen has been the GM for one season with us . so far so good but too early to gage

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, you are off base in your statement that we offered a 6th. Second, the cap affects every personnel move we contemplate.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was reported that we had interest in Sproles and were offering a late round pick. Im not inside the front office so I can not show proof.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was reported that we had interest in Sproles and were offering a late round pick. Im not inside the front office so I can not show proof.

so what was the late round pick ? a 5th to me qualifies as a late round pick because it is a last day pick

now could have sproles said he prefers the eagles ?

you and i cant know that now but that is my point

you dont know what allen did but you make statements like you did you said he offered a 6th rounder now you are backing off it

so i cant see how you can say he screwed that up when he may have never had the chance to acquire sproles

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

maybe the skins are drama central and the eagles are contenders with a dynamic offense ?

not everything is about money

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe the skins are drama central and the eagles are contenders with a dynamic offense ?

not everything is about money

This. :agree:

It is my understanding that we never even got a chance to make an offer. Sproles didn't want to come here. Can you blame him?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It couldn't have been a 5th round pick b/c our 5th round pick was higher than the Eagles. Sproles had no say in the matter it was a trade. Im not going to research and get the exact article but I believe that the Eagles offered a 5th and we offered a 6th. Why wouldn't the Saints give the Skins the option for the 5th round pick to trump the Eagles?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It couldn't have been a 5th round pick b/c our 5th round pick was higher than the Eagles. Sproles had no say in the matter it was a trade. Im not going to research and get the exact article but I believe that the Eagles offered a 5th and we offered a 6th. Why wouldn't the Saints give the Skins the option for the 5th round pick to trump the Eagles?

what is higher is of no consequence sproles wanting to come here is

he could simply retire or not report

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dad, i think you know this. My beef is with Snyder and no one else. When I was young and the Redskins were bad we brought Lombardi here but of course he died after one year but he did change the culture.

Two years later EBW brought George Allen here and started one of the great eras in Redskin history. I am a fan of the Allen family and I know Bruce loves the Redskins. All that said I don't feel Snyder hires people and puts them in position to succeed and if he does hire someone that might be competent he submarines them after a couple of years.

I would be happy if Allen was a success as GM and Gruden as HC and Griffin as QB.

Shanahan made mistakes, Gibbs made mistakes. The only one I would say didn't was Marty but he was only here one year before Snyder couldn't stand it.

If we could only make Bobby Bethard 45 again. :yahoo:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dad, i think you know this. My beef is with Snyder and no one else. When I was young and the Redskins were bad we brought Lombardi here but of course he died after one year but he did change the culture.

Two years later EBW brought George Allen here and started one of the great eras in Redskin history. I am a fan of the Allen family and I know Bruce loves the Redskins. All that said I don't feel Snyder hires people and puts them in position to succeed and if he does hire someone that might be competent he submarines them after a couple of years.

I would be happy if Allen was a success as GM and Gruden as HC and Griffin as QB.

Shanahan made mistakes, Gibbs made mistakes. The only one I would say didn't was Marty but he was only here one year before Snyder couldn't stand it.

If we could only make Bobby Bethard 45 again. :yahoo:

Almost in 100% agreement.....George Allen although the progenitor of one of the great eras in team history, knocked himself from that lofty pedestal when he refused to play Sonny in SB VII. (guess you now know where I came down on the whole "I like Sonny....I like Billy" thing). Bruce I continue to say is miscast as GM. Some here say that we should give him time....he's ONLY had one year!!

Remember when everyone was touting MS as having won 2 SB's? How about the return of J. Gibbs? Or the "boy wonder" S. Spurrier? Each of these men were bought here based on their track record. Are we NOW being asked to forget, or forgo Bruce Allen's 5 year track record in Tampa Bay?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost in 100% agreement.....George Allen although the progenitor of one of the great eras in team history, knocked himself from that lofty pedestal when he refused to play Sonny in SB VII. (guess you now know where I came down on the whole "I like Sonny....I like Billy" thing). Bruce I continue to say is miscast as GM. Some here say that we should give him time....he's ONLY had one year!!

Remember when everyone was touting MS as having won 2 SB's? How about the return of J. Gibbs? Or the "boy wonder" S. Spurrier? Each of these men were bought here based on their track record. Are we NOW being asked to forget, or forgo Bruce Allen's 5 year track record in Tampa Bay?

Sonny was hurt and couldn't play in SB VII. He beat the Dolphins the following year (his Super Bowl.) Torn achilles. Had he been able to play I believe the Redskins win Super Bowl VII.