• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Jackson -- LeBron Stooge?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure a 78 year old is the best choice for the new style NBA. I don't think he would fare well with Lebron either.
I'd take my chances with him for a year as much as anyone, though.......Lebron a concern, but he hasn't coached Lebron in the olympics for, what, nearly 15 years?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take my chances with him for a year as much as anyone, though.......Lebron a concern, but he hasn't coached Lebron in the olympics for, what, nearly 15 years?

Last Olympic team that Brown coached was 2004 (and he only got the bronze).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure a 78 year old is the best choice for the new style NBA. I don't think he would fare well with Lebron either.
Agreed. Brown is the best basketball coach of all time, but that's in the past, he's too old now

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Becky Hammon needs to be the new coach of the Lakers. Not even kidding. There's so many potential positives to hiring her that it would be great for the Lakers.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Brown is the best basketball coach of all time, but that's in the past, he's too old now

Best coach of all time?

Pump the breaks.

I get that he has had a great record and never coached an elite group,

But he has also worn out his welcome in a few of his stops.

The staying power of a guy like Pop is much more impressive to me.

I don't know how anybody can rank Larry Brown ahead of other greats like Phil Jackson. And if we include Brown's college resume, then you have to add a whole bunch more to the equation like Wooden, Dean SMith, K, and many more.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best coach of all time?

Pump the breaks.

I don't know how anybody can rank Larry Brown ahead of other greats like Phil Jackson. And if we include Brown's college resume, then you have to add a whole bunch more to the equation like Wooden, Dean SMith, K, and many more.
But no one else has BOTH the college and the pro resume. This is just my opinion, and like the GOAT arguments about players there's no scientific way to choose. Especially with coaches, where it's hard to define exactly what a "good" coach is.

Brown is GOAT, to me. Wins everywhere he went, but didn't like to stay too long.

Shrinkucci

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point about Walton and Brown both doing well; but it can also be interpreted that the Ferrari was tuned up and running perfectly and all they had to do was drive it...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best coach of all time?

Pump the breaks.

How COULD they rank him ahead of Jackson? Because Brown was not afraid of a challenge (in fact, seemed to relish one)........has shown he could do more with less. Not sure how long he'd stick around on those Bulls or Knicks teams but I still think they'd have been wildly successful with Brown.

Not sure I'd say the same of Phillip with Detroit or Kansas.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But no one else has BOTH the college and the pro resume. This is just my opinion, and like the GOAT arguments about players there's no scientific way to choose. Especially with coaches, where it's hard to define exactly what a "good" coach is.

Brown is GOAT, to me. Wins everywhere he went, but didn't like to stay too long.
and that last part is really the only negative anyone really says about the guy. I don't see Phillip winning a title in Detroit or Kansas. For sure not Detroit as I doubt he'd even accept the challenge.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Becky Hammon needs to be the new coach of the Lakers. Not even kidding. There's so many potential positives to hiring her that it would be great for the Lakers.

I'd be all for that. Fresh blood and ideas, along with some Pop influence.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be all for that. Fresh blood and ideas, along with some Pop influence.

Not only that but Lebron has the ultimate respect for Pop as a coach. Hammon comes from that school of teaching and she won't put up with shit too. If she's good enough for Pop to consider as a coach, I think Lebron would give her the benefit of the doubt from the get go and try to make things work. It'd be a great story that would distract from Lebron stories for the time being. On top of all that she's extremely qualified given her resume.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that but Lebron has the ultimate respect for Pop as a coach. Hammon comes from that school of teaching and she won't put up with shit too. If she's good enough for Pop to consider as a coach, I think Lebron would give her the benefit of the doubt from the get go and try to make things work. It'd be a great story that would distract from Lebron stories for the time being. On top of all that she's extremely qualified given her resume.
I'd love to see it, but I don't know I completely agree with Lebron being on board. Well, he'd probably say he was but first losing streak we know Lebron's not taking the blame.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see it, but I don't know I completely agree with Lebron being on board. Well, he'd probably say he was but first losing streak we know Lebron's not taking the blame.

Quite possible. It's almost a no-win situation for most coaches when it comes to Lebron.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite possible. It's almost a no-win situation for most coaches when it comes to Lebron.
I would like to see her get a shot, but I wouldn't want to see her have to deal with Lebron.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How COULD they rank him ahead of Jackson? Because Brown was not afraid of a challenge (in fact, seemed to relish one)........has shown he could do more with less. Not sure how long he'd stick around on those Bulls or Knicks teams but I still think they'd have been wildly successful with Brown.

Not sure I'd say the same of Phillip with Detroit or Kansas.

Not afraid of a challenge, no.

But I am here to tell you. Coaching MJ and Kobe/is not exactly a picnic.

Kobe and MJ both had the capability to be absolute coach killers as great as they were. MJ especially was portrayed by many as a guy "who would never win" early in his career.

Neither player won a single title without Phil Jackson. Coaching elite talent is not easy, especially when the talent have huge egos. Jackson was hands down the best at managing egos.

And I don't have PJ at #1. But IMO arguing Larry Brown is a better coach than Pop is a really tough case to make.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Having respect for Pop doesn't mean he would play under him though. Lebron is gonna do what he wants to do. He's been that way his entire career, he's not changing now. I wouldn't wish that job on Hammond for anything as her first head coaching gig. She's already gonna have a circus around her alone for being a trail blazer, she doesn't need all that other stuff that comes along with dealing with Lebron

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having respect for Pop doesn't mean he would play under him though. Lebron is gonna do what he wants to do. He's been that way his entire career, he's not changing now. I wouldn't wish that job on Hammond for anything as her first head coaching gig. She's already gonna have a circus around her alone for being a trail blazer, she doesn't need all that other stuff that comes along with dealing with Lebron

Agree.

One thing I would say though, is that Lebron is pretty "image/brand conscious" and him blaming the first female to be hired in a head coaching position with a men's professional sports team would be a really bad look.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not afraid of a challenge, no.

But I am here to tell you. Coaching MJ and Kobe/is not exactly a picnic.

Kobe and MJ both had the capability to be absolute coach killers as great as they were. MJ especially was portrayed by many as a guy "who would never win" early in his career.

Neither player won a single title without Phil Jackson. Coaching elite talent is not easy, especially when the talent have huge egos. Jackson was hands down the best at managing egos.

And I don't have PJ at #1. But IMO arguing Larry Brown is a better coach than Pop is a really tough case to make.
I'm not saying he's #1, but I do think a case could be made for either. I'd for sure take him over Phillip. Pop's another story.

sure, having a Kobe/MJ/Lebron is tough but even Lue and Spoelstra have titles with Lebron. I think Brown would manage.

An FYI, though, Phillip has never won a title without arguably the best player in the league on his team. Sometimes best 2.

He handled Shaq and Kobe so well they traded Shaq because they couldn't get along.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

One thing I would say though, is that Lebron is pretty "image/brand conscious" and him blaming the first female to be hired in a head coaching position with a men's professional sports team would be a really bad look.
Not sure he'd blame her if it went South, but we know he would not take any blame.