• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like LA is a go...

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dickerson was something special and that buffoon Shaw and the QI sold him for chump change of which we did nothing with after pissing away all those draft picks we got from the Colts! I still can remember vowing to find those two and end my misery when news of the trade came down!

I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I heard we traded him! I remember it well!

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next NFL drama: Rams and Chargers negotiate to share L.A. stadium
d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpe
By Robin Respaut and Mark Lamport-Stokes4 hours ago
2016-01-15T121544Z_1_LYNXNPEC0E0OC_RTROPTP_2_NFL-CHARGERS-RAMS.JPG.
The San Diego Chargers football team offices are shown in San Diego, California January 14, 2016. REUTERS/Mike …

By Robin Respaut and Mark Lamport-Stokes

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The National Football League’s decision this week on Los Angeles relocations ended one long-running drama but started another.

The league approved the St. Louis Rams’ move to L.A. but only gave conditional approval for the Chargers to join them. But that won't happen unless the teams can cut a stadium-sharing deal.

The unique dynamic sets up a fresh round of brinkmanship involving the Rams, the Chargers and San Diego that could drag on another year.

Will the Chargers get a better deal from Rams owner Stan Kroenke, or from public officials in San Diego? And does Kroenke want to share his dramatic new stadium - and the coveted Los Angeles market?

“It’s certainly not over,” said Roger Noll, a Stanford University economist who studies the business of sports.

The decision follows years of contentious talks between three cities and their teams: the Rams, the Chargers, and the Oakland Raiders. All three applied to be the first Los Angeles NFL team since 1995.

The Rams and Chargers - if they can come to terms - would both play at a stadium that could cost as much as $2 billion in Inglewood, a suburb southwest of Los Angeles.

Should the Rams-Chargers talks fail, the Raiders could then try to work out their own deal with Kroenke and the Rams.

Mark Fabiani, special counsel to the Chargers, said the team and its chief executive, Dean Spanos, were “working with the NFL and the Rams on a potential deal.

The League gave the Chargers and Rams until January 2017 to make a deal.

STICKY NEGOTIATIONS

In the NFL, only MetLife stadium in New Jersey pairs two teams - the New York Giants and the New York Jets. The teams worked together to privately finance the stadium.

By contrast, the Rams and Chargers, until now, have been rivals with competing L.A. stadium plans. The Chargers had proposed to share a stadium with the Oakland Raiders in Carson, another suburb.

That and other factors complicate the negotiations ahead.

For the Rams, the obvious advantage to sharing the stadium is splitting the costs - in this case, the cost of the most expensive stadium in league history. The Chargers, for their part, would get to play in a better venue in a bigger market.

But the talks could get sticky from there. Kroenke’s plans include much more than a stadium.

His development company, the Kroenke Group, will have a major stake in the ambitious real estate project and entertainment complex surrounding the proposed stadium. The company is partnering with Stockbridge Capital Group, which was developing the site before Kroenke planned to move his team there.

The glass-roofed, 80,000-seat stadium would be surrounded by a 6,000-seat performance venue, 890,000 square feet of retail space, 780,000 square feet of office space, 2,500 residences, a 300-room hotel and 25 acres of parks and open spaces, according to Stockbridge.

Kroenke will invest more than $800 million in the Inglewood project, according to documents filed by the Rams to the NFL earlier this month.

The Kroenke Group and Stockbridge declined to comment. The Rams did not respond to requests for comment.

A key question is how such sprawling plans will play into the talks between the Chargers and the Rams.

“If you’re the Chargers, you don’t want to pay a full half of the money to build the stadium without getting half of the benefits from the development deal,” said Victor Matheson, an economics professor who studies sports business at College of the Holy Cross in Massachusetts.

The Inglewood stadium project will be privately financed, making it a steep buy-in for the Chargers.

Kroenke chose to spend his own money in L.A. instead of accepting a proposed $400 million public contribution for a new St. Louis stadium. But the Chargers face a tougher calculation.

“The Chargers don’t have as much money, and they’re not participating in this grander development,” said Noll. “So their willingness to pay for the stadium cost in Inglewood is much less than the Rams.”

According to Forbes, Chargers owner Alex Spanos and family have a net worth of $1.69 billion - compared to $7.4 billion for Kroenke.

ASSET APPRECIATION

A move to Los Angeles could nearly double the value of the Chargers, from about $1.5 billion in San Diego to more than $3 billion over time, said Marc Ganis, president of Sportscorp Ltd., a Chicago-based sports business consulting form.

“There’s a high location premium for Los Angeles,” Ganis said.

And high upfront costs: The team would also have to pay the league a $550 million relocation fee.

“I can’t imagine that Dean Spanos would pay half of a $2 billion stadium,” plus the league fee, said Andrew Zimbalist, a Smith College sports economist.

Even if Spanos wanted to split the costs, it’s questionable whether Kroenke would want to split the stadium, its revenues and the L.A. market – where the NFL hasn’t tested fan enthusiasm in two decades.

The league may have to apply pressure or offer incentives to get the Rams owner on board, said Neil deMause, editor of Field of Schemes, a website that tracks stadium subsidies.

"Kroenke has pretty much no motivation to allow a second team into Inglewood,” deMause said.

Asked whether the league had any preference for two teams over one, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said: “That is up to the 32 owners. We’ve said all along that any stadium development should be prepared to accommodate two teams."

ENDLESS TALKS

The other pivotal question is whether the league’s conditional approval gives the Chargers new leverage to wring more public money out of San Diego - where stadium talks have already dragged on for 14 years.

The current offer on the table calls for the city and the county to contribute $350 million toward a new $1.1 billion stadium. San Diego voters would need to approve that subsidy in an election yet to be scheduled.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer spoke of a fresh start during a Wednesday news conference.

“Now we’re waiting to hear from the Chargers,” said San Diego County Board of Supervisors Chairman Ron Roberts.

The city’s plan for a new, 67,500-seat stadium calls for the Chargers to pay $363 million, a fraction of their potential share of Kroenke’s planned L.A. stadium. The NFL would contribute $200 million, and the team would raise another $187 million from the sale of personal seat licenses.

Of course, the Chargers could also stay in their current home, Qualcomm Stadium, Matheson said.

“It’s not as if their stadium is obsolete,” he said. “It just isn’t as fancy as some of these others – and they have a case of stadium envy.”

(Reporting by Robin Respaut and Mark Lamport-Stokes; editing by Brian Thevenot)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I heard we traded him! I remember it well!

Me too. I had somewhat mixed feelings though, as it brought Cornelius Bennett to Buffalo, but I was a huge ED fan. I believe I still have the local newspaper from the day he was drafted.

Colts got: RB Eric Dickerson

Bills got: rights to LB Cornelius Bennett

Rams got: RB Greg Bell
RB Owen Gill
'88 1sts from Colts and Bills, '88 2nds from Colts and Bills, '89 2nd from Colts

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We haven't heard the last about Spanos. he really got screwed in this.

No he didn't. You guys screwed yourself by thinking Carson ever stood a chance. Being an actual ARCHITECT and having my company ACTUALLY bid on the design development package I can tell you it was never close. You guys chose to believe all of the crap that came directly from the San Diego camp. It's not about what's right
and what's wrong it's about the better project for the NFL.

In addition it feels great to start a thread and be correct the entire way thru. I feel a bit like Joe Roggin. Even tho I hate him.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he didn't. You guys screwed yourself by thinking Carson ever stood a chance. Being an actual ARCHITECT and having my company ACTUALLY bid on the design development package I can tell you it was never close. You guys chose to believe all of the crap that came directly from the San Diego camp. It's not about what's right
and what's wrong it's about the better project for the NFL.

In addition it feels great to start a thread and be correct the entire way thru. I feel a bit like Joe Roggin. Even tho I hate him.

It never stood a chance because Stan is paying for the Ingewoood project. The other owners have nothing to lose only more money in their pockets. Better project? The NFL still has two teams that need new stadiums and just abandon another city. I'm Sure it will be an awesome stadium but I dont think it was the best plan.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It never stood a chance because Stan is paying for the Ingewoood project. The other owners have nothing to lose only more money in their pockets. Better project? The NFL still has two teams that need new stadiums and just abandon another city. I'm Sure it will be an awesome stadium but I dont think it was the best plan.

Isn't the preferred option for every stadium project that the owner pick up the tab?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the preferred option for every stadium project that the owner pick up the tab?
Preferred by tax payers in most cases, not the NFL for sure.

And even though this point is kind of lost in the shuffle with all the drama shopson, one might think it sort of sets a new precedent regarding future NFL stadiums builds or at the very least, team transplants involving stadium builds.

Well, except for either the Chargers or Raiders if either elect to join the Rams in LA prior to the deadline and options afforded respectively.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preferred by tax payers in most cases, not the NFL for sure.

And even though this point is kind of lost in the shuffle with all the drama shopson, one might think it sort of sets a new precedent regarding future NFL stadiums builds or at the very least, team transplants involving stadium builds.

Well, except for either the Chargers or Raiders if either elect to join the Rams in LA prior to the deadline and options afforded respectively.

Yep. And the NFL left 500m in public money sitting on the table in STL. Now other cities (politicians) will see how the NFL walked away from that and made them jump through hoops for the past year for noghing. public financing might not be so easy to come bye for remodeling or new stadiums.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. And the NFL left 500m in public money sitting on the table in STL. Now other cities (politicians) will see how the NFL walked away from that and made them jump through hoops for the past year for noghing. public financing might not be so easy to come bye for remodeling or new stadiums.

That $500M in public money was highly unpopular and wasn't even half of what was needed to fund the stadium. Your mayor was likely going to be out at the next election if that went forward.

Jump through hoops for nothing? If they had held up their end of the lease and upgraded the EJD in a timely manner, none of this would have happened. Those upgrades would've cost them about $700M, btw. Don't agree to a lease without intending to follow through, then cry victim when the tenant leaves via that broken lease.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That $500M in public money was highly unpopular and wasn't even half of what was needed to fund the stadium. Your mayor was likely going to be out at the next election if that went forward.

Jump through hoops for nothing? If they had held up their end of the lease and upgraded the EJD in a timely manner, none of this would have happened. Those upgrades would've cost them about $700M, btw. Don't agree to a lease without intending to follow through, then cry victim when the tenant leaves via that broken lease.
I have to believe that St. Louis thought they could get away with one here. I don't think they ever intended on living up to their unreal promises in that lease that lured the Rams away from Los Angeles in the first place.

Here in California, we learned the hard way from Al Davis, I believe now all Stadium Deals require a vote of the people unlike what the St. Louis politicians were trying to pull on the people of Missouri.

That's is why there has been so many stumbling blocks in Los Angeles, San Diego and Oakland regarding Stadium deals, and why a lot of Los Angelenos look at Stan as a Champion, and why we will probably see the Chargers join the Rams in the near term in LA!

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams website has been renamed..... Los Angeles Rams! If you are happy about it check it out...videos of the proposed stadium and some other great stuff. :nod:

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

St. Louis could have made the dome a Taj Mahal and Kronke would have still left for the potential of Los Angeles.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis could have made the dome a Taj Mahal and Kronke would have still left for the potential of Los Angeles.

Not true Red

Had they held up their agreement regarding stadium upkeep, Stan wouldn't have had a leg to stand on regarding relocation.

It was because the CVC broke their agreement that gave Stan an opportunity to move the team.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had they held up their agreement regarding stadium upkeep, Stan wouldn't have had a leg to stand on regarding relocation.

It was because the CVC broke their agreement that gave Stan an opportunity to move the team.
This is true!

He couldn't leave had the CVC made good with the Arbitration's decision.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true!

He couldn't leave had the CVC made good with the Arbitration's decision.

Sure guys because a 700m renovation to a 15 year old stadium that cost 280m to build was a realistic offer from the Rams. Stan knew that wasn't going to happen. When was the last time you seen a 700m renovation take place. Yeah never.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure guys because a 700m renovation to a 15 year old stadium that cost 280m to build was a realistic offer from the Rams. Stan knew that wasn't going to happen. When was the last time you seen a 700m renovation take place. Yeah never.

So it's Kroenke's fault that the CVC agreed to the lease agreement that required them to keep the EJD among the top stadiums in the league? That extravagant lease agreement is what lured the Rams from LA in the first place. The CVC couldn't hold up their end of the deal.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's Kroenke's fault that the CVC agreed to the lease agreement that required them to keep the EJD among the top stadiums in the league? That extravagant lease agreement is what lured the Rams from LA in the first place. The CVC couldn't hold up their end of the deal.

Who cares if the original lease was a flop the Georgia bought into? The least Kroenke could do was work with the task force to come up with a site and new stadium in STL. They called him Silent Stan for a reason. He flat out refused to work with anybody in STL because he crunched the numbers and decided that Ingelwood with a stadium build with his money was better than a stadium anywhere else. He is the ultimate control freak with this stadium so he can get the ultimate profit.

This is has nothing to football and all to do with money.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is has nothing to football and all to do with money.

As is everything about the NFL. Why be surprised in this case?

The point is, if the CVC held up their end of the lease, Kroenke doesn't have the freedom to move. If the CVC didn't agree to that lease in the first place, St Louis never gets the Rams in '95. You shouldn't blame a businessman for making the correct business move. You can blame the lease holders for failing.

This has everything to do with a broken lease.