• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

looking at the roster

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really bored today and decided to take an in-depth look at whet the Flyers could do in the off season to improve this team, and honestly I found it to be pretty damn difficult. Then biggest thing this team needs right now is to get healthy and in the long term time to develop. With that being said though I see the FLyers best options right now is to re-sign Kubina and Grossmann and then try to move Briere's mammoth contract and throw a bunch of $ at Suter while trading Carle's rights at the draft, then waive Shitty and Pronger goes on LTIR and you get the roster I have below(with a few extra players who will no doubt serve as call-ups) and we still have some cap space with the new projected cap being $69m. Like i said I know this is a long way and hopefully a cup celebration off, but 'm bored outta my mind wait for them to play tonight. Any thoughts or comments on the roster?

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.500m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.900m) / Tom Sestito ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($6.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Pavel Kubina ($3.000m) / Nicklas Grossman ($2.750m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.975m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,834,444; BONUSES: $3,555,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,165,556

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my usual question...what teams do you think would actually want to pick up Briere's contract and what teams do you think Briere would waive his NMC for?

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that roster tho!

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my usual question...what teams do you think would actually want to pick up Briere's contract and what teams do you think Briere would waive his NMC for?

The FA market is really bad this year imo, I'm not sure where he'd be willing to go, prob Buff. Teams like Wash, PHX, TOR, MTL all need C's. I have a feeling if he was asked for a list of teams he'd accept a trade to he'd give one(but probably a very small one say 4-5 teams max). I'm not saying moving him would be easy, but if the owners get the Amnesty buy-out and aren't forced to use it on Pronger they could buy Briere out since it seems like Bryz has finally figured out the playing under pressure thing.

I actually do feel bad for Briere in a way. He came in to be the #1 guy and has had 3 other C's lap him in his time here(Giroux, Richards, Carter) and while he has had some good stretches he's far from consistant. I'm sure this is just a down year for him and he can bounce back, but we can't be paying him $6.5m for 35 pts in todays NHL. Then again at least he's not Scott Gomez who makes like $2m a goal.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lol wait ... bandit started a thread and is suggesting that the flyers move briere ... haha

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think briere stays, and jagr doesn't get resigned.. rest of your stuff i agree w/.. though i think carle is going to end up getting resigned and suter will go elsewhere at at least 7 mil cap hit, i would prefer moving carle at the draft and getting suter

in addition, i'd like to see them try to get wideman out of washington instead of carle (assuming weber is too rich for our blood).. i think wideman and carle will about equal salary, but wideman is bigger and has a better shot

timonen.wideman
grossmann.coburn
kubina.mesz

is a great d-corp

Last edited by a moderator:

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the only way i see them being able to part with Briere's contract is the rumored amnesty clause in the new negotiations.

briere's contract is unmoveable and its for 3 more season. it would be one thing if he had one year remaining and buffalo took him back as a sort of homecoming tour.

awaz, i disagree with you on jagr. i think he will be resigned, and i think we get him for under or right at 3 mil.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, what is the deal with Schenns contract. If they send him down to the AHL fo r a day doesn't it drop to something like $1.4?

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also DB isn't going anywhere any time soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only way i see them being able to part with Briere's contract is the rumored amnesty clause in the new negotiations.

briere's contract is unmoveable and its for 3 more season. it would be one thing if he had one year remaining and buffalo took him back as a sort of homecoming tour.

awaz, i disagree with you on jagr. i think he will be resigned, and i think we get him for under or right at 3 mil.

we'll agree to disagree.. i just dont think they need him next year, and he's been slowing down quite a bit here late in the season.. JMO.. anything over 2.5 and i dont really want him.. but the way he's been talking, i could see him staying at 2.5

Also, what is the deal with Schenns contract. If they send him down to the AHL fo r a day doesn't it drop to something like $1.4?

that's what they did this year.. but if i were schenn and the goal of my contract was to get me in the NHL without a barrier like cap hit (that's why the clause was in there, supposedly), but still wanted to get paid, i would put a max-nhl games where thats a legit play.. cause he's a legit NHL forward now, i wouldn't think they'll still be able to do that again next year.. but if they can that'd be sick

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol wait ... bandit started a thread and is suggesting that the flyers move briere ... haha

1 of the largest contracts on the team, the guy making about $200k per point, the fact that Jagr and Vorachek are both better and we need 2 more d-men, yea I say trade him and I will untill someone hopefully listens to me.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 of the largest contracts on the team, the guy making about $200k per point, the fact that Jagr and Vorachek are both better and we need 2 more d-men, yea I say trade him and I will untill someone hopefully listens to me.

i'm ok with, even good with, moving him.. i just think its going to be hard to.. and its not the NMC that bothers me by itself, its the fact that most teams that could take on the salary are teams trying to get to the cap floor, and most teams trying to reach the cap floor, suck, and therefore briere wont go to

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not certain I like the idea of 3 mill Jagr next year. He's not getting younger, and while he'd be worth it for what he's put up this year, he's a risk both in terms of injury (easier to get hurt with old man bones) and drop off.