• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we lose out on WEBER, Suter, Parise & Carle??

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just sitting here thinking that Homer will feel forced to make a trade in the attempt to improve the team. Carchidi had said he thought Ryan for Read, Gusty and a 1st was fair, I think we may need to add a 3rd/4th to the mix. With Pronger on LTIR and Shitty waived(hopefully. I'm wondering if Homer would look at getting Jay Bo since I doubt it woud take a lot to acquire him and regardless of people's opinion of him he does just eat up minutes and has been playing on a bad team for the past few years(yes his contract is also horrible but only for 2 more seasons. I'm guessing he could be had for a mid range prospect and a pick, so our roster would look like this...

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.500m)
Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
Ben Holmstrom ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.709m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Michael Leighton ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,503,194; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $696,806

Bad thing is we'd have no cap space, but I think that would be a vastly improved D group then we had last year(albeit we were fine till the injuries started coming). I'm mean on top of everything else with the exception of Kimmo all those guys are big and can skate really well and they all have shown they can play with a physical edge. For success in this years' playoffs I firmly believe we need to keep Kimmo healthy and bringing in another horse if we lose carle could really help up accomplish that. Also I'm not impressed with any of the remaining D FA's so Jay Bo may be the best more affordable option and chance up an upgrade. 1-6 we'd have the best D in the league once LAvy figures out line combos. Our offense would have to make up for Jagr and Read, but I firmly believe if we added Ryan, with a full year of Schenn and Wellwood has shown he can score we'd maintain our scoring while cutting down GAA as long as the system is followed.

Ok go ahead flame me for bringing up Jay Bo, but I am really curious what your guys thought are on back-up plans.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ha bandits its not the worst idea ever. i mean the guy has it in him to be a good player, i just don't see him enough to know what he would bring us for that large contract. pairing him with a kimmo might do wonders and get him back to where he was in Florida. also putting jbo with kimmo might help with kimmo taking so many hits, though the knock on jbo is his lack of physical play.

on a side note, i would like to see schenn play with coburn, and grossmann play with mesz. i think that schenn and coburn are similar in their offensive and defensive tendencies. mesz likes to attack more with grossmann being more of a stay at home.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha bandits its not the worst idea ever. i mean the guy has it in him to be a good player, i just don't see him enough to know what he would bring us for that large contract. pairing him with a kimmo might do wonders and get him back to where he was in Florida. also putting jbo with kimmo might help with kimmo taking so many hits, though the knock on jbo is his lack of physical play.

on a side note, i would like to see schenn play with coburn, and grossmann play with mesz. i think that schenn and coburn are similar in their offensive and defensive tendencies. mesz likes to attack more with grossmann being more of a stay at home.

It's tru that Jay Bo isn't a wrecking machine in the hits department, but he is pretty good at using his body to push guys wide and ride them off the puck. Also he apparently blocks a decent amount of shot, I think like 120 or so last year so that could be another big help. I'm just trying to think outside the box, and even with the large cap hit it wouldn't be that bad cause it's only 2 more years and chances are if he liked it here & played well he could re-sign for less for a shot at multiple cup.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
abso-fucking-lutely not on jaybo. i wouldn't trade pronger's albatross of a contract, bryz's albatross of a contract, shelley, and walker for jaybo. no. i didnt want them to sign him back when he was UFA, and all he's done in calgary is prove he's not worth the 6.5 mil he gets paid.

consider yourself flamed :)

as far as a backup plan goes, which i think is probably going to be the primary plan, because i dont think we'll get suter or parise, and then i think carle will get too much.. i think the flyers will probably get bobby ryan as the top line forward.. i think they'll probably have to give up voracek to get him though, which makes me sad.. i think it'll be voracek and gust/bourdon, and maybe a pick or two, but i dont think it will take a 1st if voracek is part of the package.. i find it curious he hasn't signed a deal yet too..

on defense.. i think they'll probably just go with what they have and hope whichever guy stays (gust/bourdon) can be a serviceable 6.. then have lilja be the 7.. enter the season with some room, and then come trade deadline time asses the situation.. enstrom and weber will be staring UFA in the face and available to be rented if the preds/jets are on the outside looking in at the playoff race

personally i think it was a mistake to put all the eggs in the suter/parise.. lots of plan B guys signed in the past 2 days

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
abso-fucking-lutely not on jaybo. i wouldn't trade pronger's albatross of a contract, bryz's albatross of a contract, shelley, and walker for jaybo. no. i didnt want them to sign him back when he was UFA, and all he's done in calgary is prove he's not worth the 6.5 mil he gets paid.

consider yourself flamed :)

I think Jay Bo is to you what Briere is to me. However I disagree, the guy plays 25+ minutes a night on a team that has been god awful for the past 3 years, plus he really doesn't have anyone to play with who's more then a 4/5 on any other team in the NHL(minus CBJ). Paired with a guy like Timmo I think he could be a real asset, especially since I'm starting to thin Carle is gonna get closer to $7m a year now and I don't want him locked up long term with that kind of hit. In my mind we need work horses for the up coming season not superstar D-men. Splitting the minutes more evenly would be a huge help down the stretch to help guys avoid/nurse injuries and be ats close to 100% as possible when the playoffs start. Also he blocks shots and has the size to move guys off the puck. Honestly since Allen is off the market I think he may be the best back-up plan we have now and I think both of the trades I mentioned could be made fairly easily at this point.

Also you're nuts because I would trade Prongers contract, Shelley & Walker for a bubble gum wrapper at this point. Jay Bo would prob cost a 3rd/4th and a mid level prospect so it wouldn't be like we'd be investing a lot and the potential return could be nice if he found his game again. I really think a lot of it is the lack of talent surrounding him in CAL now.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on defense.. i think they'll probably just go with what they have and hope whichever guy stays (gust/bourdon) can be a serviceable 6.. then have lilja be the 7.. enter the season with some room, and then come trade deadline time asses the situation.. enstrom and weber will be staring UFA in the face and available to be rented if the preds/jets are on the outside looking in at the playoff race

personally i think it was a mistake to put all the eggs in the suter/parise.. lots of plan B guys signed in the past 2 days

Trading for Enstrom or Weber woudl gut the team while it's trying to make a cup run. So please just drop that idea right now. Poille would ask for Cooter, both Schenns and prob a 1st and that woud severely fuck us. The only chance we have at Weber is if he becomes a UFA after next season or Poille decides to play nice and give us fair value for our prospects(which I doubt he ever will) plus every other team in the league will be throwing everything they have at him . I'm actually scared that Pitt is set up the best to make a run at him via trade with all their defensive depth, they could offer a nice package of NHL ready guys for the next season and picks. That is my worst nightmare Weber on Pitt...

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Homer agrees with you. I think he would offer anyone and any thing (minus Giroux) in order to get Weber.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Shane Doan is a good option if Parise goes elsewhere.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of us and Jay Bo have something in common.
We have played exactly the same amount of playoff games.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jay Bo is to you what Briere is to me. However I disagree, the guy plays 25+ minutes a night on a team that has been god awful for the past 3 years, plus he really doesn't have anyone to play with who's more then a 4/5 on any other team in the NHL(minus CBJ). Paired with a guy like Timmo I think he could be a real asset, especially since I'm starting to thin Carle is gonna get closer to $7m a year now and I don't want him locked up long term with that kind of hit. In my mind we need work horses for the up coming season not superstar D-men. Splitting the minutes more evenly would be a huge help down the stretch to help guys avoid/nurse injuries and be ats close to 100% as possible when the playoffs start. Also he blocks shots and has the size to move guys off the puck. Honestly since Allen is off the market I think he may be the best back-up plan we have now and I think both of the trades I mentioned could be made fairly easily at this point.

Also you're nuts because I would trade Prongers contract, Shelley & Walker for a bubble gum wrapper at this point. Jay Bo would prob cost a 3rd/4th and a mid level prospect so it wouldn't be like we'd be investing a lot and the potential return could be nice if he found his game again. I really think a lot of it is the lack of talent surrounding him in CAL now.

i'd take a bubble gum wrapper over jaybo's 6.5 mil cap/hit for very mediocre play.. and he's not surrounded by garbage in calgary, he's part of the problem.. giordano, sarich, and babchuk aren't god awful (they aren't world beaters, but they aren't awful either), and kipper is probably better than bryz is.. we can agree to disagree, but i want no part of jaybo

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading for Enstrom or Weber woudl gut the team while it's trying to make a cup run. So please just drop that idea right now. Poille would ask for Cooter, both Schenns and prob a 1st and that woud severely fuck us. The only chance we have at Weber is if he becomes a UFA after next season or Poille decides to play nice and give us fair value for our prospects(which I doubt he ever will) plus every other team in the league will be throwing everything they have at him . I'm actually scared that Pitt is set up the best to make a run at him via trade with all their defensive depth, they could offer a nice package of NHL ready guys for the next season and picks. That is my worst nightmare Weber on Pitt...

no way it would gut the team.. you're out of your mind if you think poile would expect that caliber of return for a potential rental.. if it comes to the trade deadline next year and it doesn't look like the preds are going to go far, he'll get rid of weber instead of losing him for nothing.. you're just being ridiculous thinking it would take coots, both schenns, and a first.. pronger got a rookie dman, a 20 goal scorer, and 2 firsts.. sure weber is younger, but pronger had multiple cups and a contract already signed.. shea weber, at the trade deadline as his contract is about to expire would probably cost brayden or couturier, a 1st, and maybe a bourdon/gust.. if that's the deal, i'd do it, even at the risk of not signing weber.. and enstrom would cost significantly less than that, so he DEFINITELY wouldn't be a gutting the team type trade

edit: another example was forseberg.. arguably the best player in the game at the time, got a good d-prospect (parent), a decent forward prospect (upshall), and a 1st.. which also doesn't equate to 2 superstar center prospects, a developing top 4 dman, and a 1st

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Shane Doan is a good option if Parise goes elsewhere.

agreed.. i'd actually love to see doan in a flyers uni.. his supposed contract demands are a little scary though.. 4 years on a 35+ worries me a bit

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed.. i'd actually love to see doan in a flyers uni.. his supposed contract demands are a little scary though.. 4 years on a 35+ worries me a bit

4 years?? Hmmm...yeah...we seem to get burned with these freaking 35+ deals.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 years?? Hmmm...yeah...we seem to get burned with these freaking 35+ deals.

i guess it would depend on the number he wants.. if he wants like 4-5 mil/per over 4 years i say no way.. but if its around 3 i think i'd take the risk.. dude is a warrior that has skill.. its a rare combo

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[MEDIA=twitter]220194253572280321[/MEDIA]

"Ducks want a center (likely 2nd line), a young winger and prospect or high pick for Ryan. Eventually, someone will step up."

that's pretty steep to me.. i mean maybe briere is an option? but i doubt he'd want to leave (NTC)..

but i wonder if briere, wellwood, and a 1st would cover what they're asking for?

Last edited by a moderator:

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's pretty steep to me.. i mean maybe briere is an option? but i doubt he'd want to leave (NTC)..

but i wonder if briere, wellwood, and a 1st would cover what they're asking for?

That IS pretty steep. Just my guy feeling here, but I don't think Briere is an option. I think the Flyers are more willing to do something like Read, Vorachek, and a draft pick but I don't think the Ducks will go for that because it doesn't include a #2 center.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That IS pretty steep. Just my guy feeling here, but I don't think Briere is an option. I think the Flyers are more willing to do something like Read, Vorachek, and a draft pick but I don't think the Ducks will go for that because it doesn't include a #2 center.

ya.. :(

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read, bourdon, and my right nut for Ryan. Sabres can't match that!