• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin White Shin Surgery

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what its worth Jerry Rice started 4 games his rookie campaign

Here's a list of 1st Round wide receivers in the last decade who weren't a top 2 WR as a rookie:

Troy Williamson
Mike Williams
Matt Jones
Robert Meachem
Craig Davis
Hakeem Nicks (Our first competent guy who was the #3 receiver...and he had almost 800 yards)
Kenny Britt
DeMaryius Thomas (Our first true developmental WR who became a star)
Jonathan Baldwin
Michael Floyd (Solid)
Kendall Wright
Tavon Austin
Cordarelle Patterson
AJ Jenkins

I'm sorry, but that's not a list you want to be on. If you want a developmental receiver, that's great. There are several available on Day 2 and 3. At #7 overall, you want a proven star.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know where this idea came from that Kevin White wasn't going to play until week 11?? Why are you all saying that?
He's on the Regular season PUP list. Which means:
A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.

The way I see it: White has surgery this week... (anyone know if or when the surgery is scheduled? I haven't heard) He still has a few weeks BEFORE the season AND Reg Season PUP count starts... to heal. 8-9 weeks until that game Seven. SOOOO if he's healed and it's possible... he could be playing in week 7 or 8. Now, I'm not sure how long it will take for him to get up to speed once the cast comes off and he's permitted to workout again. And of course without any setbacks he should be fine. IF he needs more time after that game 6 he can have it, and STILL play a week or 2 or 3 later. This is why I'm not worried about "SEASON ENDING" talk. Let's see what happens.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On top of that... the Bears have their bye week on WEEK 7... An additional week for him to heal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to have White out there but I don't feel it's pivotal. If Cutler plays good we have plenty of offense and if he plays bad White won't matter. Cutler is the engine, unfortunately.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know where this idea came from that Kevin White wasn't going to play until week 11?? Why are you all saying that?
He's on the Regular season PUP list. Which means:
A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.

The way I see it: White has surgery this week... (anyone know if or when the surgery is scheduled? I haven't heard) He still has a few weeks BEFORE the season AND Reg Season PUP count starts... to heal. 8-9 weeks until that game Seven. SOOOO if he's healed and it's possible... he could be playing in week 7 or 8. Now, I'm not sure how long it will take for him to get up to speed once the cast comes off and he's permitted to workout again. And of course without any setbacks he should be fine. IF he needs more time after that game 6 he can have it, and STILL play a week or 2 or 3 later. This is why I'm not worried about "SEASON ENDING" talk. Let's see what happens.

If you read the internet doctors notes, it was caused by muscles improperly forming on the bone. They were treating this incorrectly, which means his leg muscles he will need to leap tall linebackers to catch cutler passes have not been seriously worked for months.

Take your heal time, add slowly, (and slowly means slowly) building up that calf muscle again in order to compete with the best athletes on the planet and it says week 7, if he had surgery yet, is only giving three weeks of real training on the calves. I gotta think his training regimen on his calves will probably take months to build them slowly like he needs, considering there is another leg he has that would probably be prone to the same injury.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read the internet doctors notes, it was caused by muscles improperly forming on the bone. They were treating this incorrectly, which means his leg muscles he will need to leap tall linebackers to catch cutler passes have not been seriously worked for months.

Take your heal time, add slowly, (and slowly means slowly) building up that calf muscle again in order to compete with the best athletes on the planet and it says week 7, if he had surgery yet, is only giving three weeks of real training on the calves. I gotta think his training regimen on his calves will probably take months to build them slowly like he needs, considering there is another leg he has that would probably be prone to the same injury.
Whaaaat? You lost me.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Joey, we are getting this idea because Ryan Pace said the possibility was very real in his press conference on the subject. He wasn't definitive, but it is clear that he would rather let White fully heal then throw him back out there. It depends how he progresses.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Here's a list of 1st Round wide receivers in the last decade who weren't a top 2 WR as a rookie:

Troy Williamson
Mike Williams
Matt Jones
Robert Meachem
Craig Davis
Hakeem Nicks (Our first competent guy who was the #3 receiver...and he had almost 800 yards)
Kenny Britt
DeMaryius Thomas (Our first true developmental WR who became a star)
Jonathan Baldwin
Michael Floyd (Solid)
Kendall Wright
Tavon Austin
Cordarelle Patterson
AJ Jenkins

I'm sorry, but that's not a list you want to be on. If you want a developmental receiver, that's great. There are several available on Day 2 and 3. At #7 overall, you want a proven star.

Aside from the 2014 class, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, and AJ Green, none of the first rounders taken have had significant first years. Dez caught 45 for 561 yards. He wasn't a star right out of the gate. The amazing Calvin Johnson, you could say he was somewhat borderline, year 1 he caught 48 for 756 yards, not amazing, but not bad (which is about what I was hoping for our of White this year). Roddy White caught 49 for 446 yards. Fitzgerald, 58 for 780, another borderline.

Reggie Wayne caught 27 for 345 yards. Did he not work out OK for the Colts?

There's more than one way to WR stardom. We have no reason to conclude anything one way or the other before White even takes the field.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's game favors WR's more than ever. We will see more and more WR's with first-year success, going forward.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Not with a top 10 pick ya don't.

The draft is always for the future. Even when Andrew Luck was taken. Aaron Rodgers, any of them. The Bears did not draft Kevin White to win the Super Bowl in 2016, nor should they have, nor was there anyone available to do that. They picked him to win Super Bowls in the future.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, no shit...of course it's for the future. Obviously, for some, the future is sooner than others.

That's probably why they're taken in the top 10 en sech:ohwell:

C

cubzzzfanincali

so your comment got me thinking...so I looked. Just scrolling through past Super Bowl winners....since 2000, the following first round picks helped their teams in a significant way to win a Super Bowl (as rookies):

Bulaga GB
Aaron Ross NYG
Addai (Indy...against us, of course)
Heath Miller PITT
Wilfork NE (though he only got use for about half the season, but Belichick liked him enough at that point)

None of these guys were top ten picks (because teams that win the Super Bowl...they tend to be good teams, and don't draft in the top ten very often.....yes this falls into the "No Shit Sherlock" class of observations). But it does happen, every so often, where a first rounder can help your team win it all.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not with a top 10 pick ya don't.
White is raw as it gets and there is no way we drafted him expecting him to be a top WR right away. We are in rebuild mold and White is a piece for the future IMO. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one BD. It was dumb drafting a WR this year anyway. What good is a WR without a QB that can get him the ball. Should have drafted OL DL LB S. WR was just dumb IMO. We have plenty of receiving targets already. Again I like White but WR was not a area of need. BPA sure, so I'm not mad or against it. With or without White our record will be the same. I,m glad we drafted BPA instead of need, so

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey, we are getting this idea because Ryan Pace said the possibility was very real in his press conference on the subject. He wasn't definitive, but it is clear that he would rather let White fully heal then throw him back out there. It depends how he progresses.

Yeah, I heard that, but I guess I didn't catch the "very real" part... to me it just came off as covering his ass. If he said he expected White to play in week 7- and he didn't, Pace gets crap. This way he's covered- said "could be a possibility that he misses season"
Either way...I'm going to hope for the best. It sucks that he's hurt.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White is raw as it gets and there is no way we drafted him expecting him to be a top WR right away. We are in rebuild mold and White is a piece for the future IMO. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one BD. It was dumb drafting a WR this year anyway. What good is a WR without a QB that can get him the ball. Should have drafted OL DL LB S. WR was just dumb IMO. We have plenty of receiving targets already. Again I like White but WR was not a area of need. BPA sure, so I'm not mad or against it. With or without White our record will be the same. I,m glad we drafted BPA instead of need, so

No..that would be a 7th rounder or undrafted free agent. Nobody expects him to be our No. 1 out the gate. Jeffrey is clearly that guy, but I'd bet dollars to none that sans the injury, Whit would've been listed as the No. 2.

Every draftee is for the "future", but the No. 7 overall pick, should contribute in his first year, regardless of his position. If not, then I am afraid that is a bust pick.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Reggie Waye, the bust that took our Super Bowl! Screw you Reggie, your first season sucked!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bust for this year...not overall, that is obviously yet-to-be determined.

Look, we jettisoned B. Marsh and White WAS and still is our contingency-plan. It is a setback in his career and in our IMMEDIATE plans.

I was not saying that White is a bust, more so that he is NOT a "project", that's "raw". Day 1 starter. That was the plan. Wasted pick, if not.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well. Marquis Wilson made it a whole 2 quarters of preseason before pulling his hamstring.

:L