• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Love trade talk

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Klay is that good. To me, Love and K-Mart > Lee and Klay. K Mart would never get out scored by Redick in a game 7. If you really think abou it, Klay had a good month stretch, he's ok. He also cried, then disappeared in round two last season as well. I'm still steamed that we drafted him over Kawi Leonard.

I've wanted Love since he was coming out of UCLA, he IS a difference maker. He does everything better than Lee (who is a good player). Love will be a Hall of Fame player when its all said and done, just what we've been missing (besides a better staff), a dominant inside/out player. Him and Curry running the pick and roll will be a matchup nightmare.

I also think that they need to rethink not wanting KMart. KMart has put the ball in the cup everywhere he's played. His defense can be masked with Iggy defending the top wing, and with Bogut and Festus defending the paint.

:2cents:

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is with all of the wish we drafted Leonard instead of Klay since the the finals ended. I see a lot of Warriors fan saying this and the hindsight is ridiculous. Klay had developed into a great player with the 11th pick. Plenty of teams passed up on Kawhi, and as good as he is, he is playing with future HOFs and an all time great coach. Be happy we drafted Klay instead of trading up for Jimmer or drafting Alec Burks. We got a top 3 player in the draft with the 11th pick, thats great work by the front office.

Kevin Martin is terrible on D and while he is a pretty good shooter, his contract is the big issue I would have with acquiring him. 3 years 21.25mil left and he will be 32, 33, 34. Its a terrible contract. If it was a one year deal and we could slot him in to provide scoring I would say alright. Getting Love would be awesome, but I think its smart to rush into this and see if you can work Minnesota into giving up Love without including Klay.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is with all of the wish we drafted Leonard instead of Klay since the the finals ended. I see a lot of Warriors fan saying this and the hindsight is ridiculous. Klay had developed into a great player with the 11th pick. Plenty of teams passed up on Kawhi, and as good as he is, he is playing with future HOFs and an all time great coach. Be happy we drafted Klay instead of trading up for Jimmer or drafting Alec Burks. We got a top 3 player in the draft with the 11th pick, thats great work by the front office.

Kevin Martin is terrible on D and while he is a pretty good shooter, his contract is the big issue I would have with acquiring him. 3 years 21.25mil left and he will be 32, 33, 34. Its a terrible contract. If it was a one year deal and we could slot him in to provide scoring I would say alright. Getting Love would be awesome, but I think its smart to rush into this and see if you can work Minnesota into giving up Love without including Klay.

If we were able to pull up the old espn boards you would be able to see where all the Kawhi talk comes from. He was a favorite of q few people (especially me). After seeing Kawhi outplay Klay in the playoffs last season was a slap in the face, as was seeing Klay struggle in the playoffs again, while Kawhi balled out.

Martins contract isn't that bad if you think about what Klay is about to get.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what's happening in my mixed-up little head right now. I don't know whether Love, a talented player that put up big numbers with the Wolves, is necessarily the player that will lead the Dubs to the promised land. I do know that Klay is a legit two-way stud who is not only among the best SG/SF players in The Association, but his game is still in its ascendancy.

Work out a reasonable extension with the kid, and keep him. Yeah, that's where I'm leaning now.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans need to see all the moving parts of this proposed trade with perspective:

1) The Warriors are OBVIOUSLY going to be reluctant to trade Klay. He's a very good player. His market value is yet to be determined because of his contract situation, but there are 29 other teams in the NBA who would love to have them.

2) The Warriors are going to refute giving him up because they're not going to bid against themselves. They know if at any point if they truly wanted Love, they could have him. The Warriors are going to hold out until they find another team willing to put a better offer out there. The Wolves screwed themselves because Flip Saunders, the GM and President is now the head coach of the team. He's going to want players ready to play right away and compete for a playoff spot. He did not become the head coach to watch the team suffer through a rebuild with picks. The Warriors have one of the strongest, if not strongest, player ready options for them.

3) Of course Jerry West and Steve Kerr are going to "publicly" say they want Klay on the team. Again, this is gamesmanship. If the trade doesn't work out, you want to keep Klay knowing that he has staunch supporters in the organization that believe in him. And who better than the new coach of the team. If Kerr came out and said, "yes trade him", and it falls through, the locker room takes a hit. Even if it's not their official stance, which, I'm not sure it is, it makes sense to leak to the media that West and Kerr want to keep Klay.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wolves want Barnes too, talks are dead.
I agree, because if I'm the Dubs, I'm moving Barnes to start amn KMart to 6th man.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wolves want Barnes too, talks are dead.
I agree, because if I'm the Dubs, I'm moving Barnes to start amn KMart to 6th man.

If the Wolves are truly asking for Lee, Barnes, AND Thompson then that's their way of saying no thanks to a trade, bc they know that ain't happening.

I'm not sure any of us here in the outside world can know who's saying what though. :noidea:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In negotiations you never start anywhere close to your bottom line. Just because the Wolves are saying they want Lee, Klay, Barnes and a future 1st, doesn't mean that's the only deal they would accept. It's also why the Warriors are saying they're not going to include Klay in any trade. Minnesota will be the first team to blink, mainly because they have to. If the Warriors stand pat, I don't think anyone in the Warriors management is gonna panic.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Grantland:

Where Is Klay Thompson Going?

Apparently trade talks have cooled down between the Wolves and Warriors over the past few days. Depending on where you look, either the Wolves want more than Klay and David Lee, or the Warriors won’t give up Klay:

Just for the record, it’s getting tougher and tougher to see which side looks worse here: the Warriors for refusing to part with Klay, or the Wolves for convincing themselves that Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, and two years of overpriced David Lee ($31 million) are enough to make this deal worth it.

If the Warriors are serious about keeping Klay, they win the idiot sweepstakes. Klay Thompson’s just good enough to command huge money in free agency next year, meaning they’d have to commit to building their team around Klay and Steph Curry long-term. Even if Kevin Love doesn’t automatically make them contenders next year, building around Curry and Love for the next few years looks MUCH better. So much better. It doesn’t matter if they give up good players like Harrison Barnes to do it, or if they have to take back Kevin Martin.

They’d be getting rid of Klay and David Lee, two players who are good enough to command playing time and big money and touches on offense, but limited enough to keep Golden State from ever hitting the next level. In return, they pair Steph Curry with one of the 10 best players in basketball for the next five years. This shouldn’t be that complicated.

If the Wolves are serious about building a Love trade around a 2-guard who will be lucky to match Joe Johnson’s production for the next 10 years … well, they definitely win the idiot sweepstakes. In fact, the Warriors are probably playing coy with Klay to try to drive up his value over the next week. The more Golden State management acts like it doesn’t want to give him up, the more it’ll feel like a coup for the Wolves if they can finally wrestle him away. That’s gotta be what’s happening here, right? And it’s gonna end with one of the most one-sided trades of this century? The Wolves are dominating the summer so far.

---Now me: I hadn't considered that angle...if you keep Klay you kind of have to sign him to a max deal (otherwise why did you keep him?)...and is he really a franchise player?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever wrote that article is selling Klay too short. He's only 24 and has gotten better each and every year, and is a legit two-way player. He'll be a top-3 or 4 SG for the next decade.

He also doesn't take into account that the 'wolves don't have that much leverage. They have to take what they can get before Kevin Love walks out the door in FA.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever wrote that article is selling Klay too short. He's only 24 and has gotten better each and every year, and is a legit two-way player. He'll be a top-3 or 4 SG for the next decade.

He also doesn't take into account that the 'wolves don't have that much leverage. They have to take what they can get before Kevin Love walks out the door in FA.

But they have a ton of suitors they are playing off one another...you think GS is the only trade partner they can work? Chicago, Lakers, Boston, etc...the offers would be different but they aren't necessarily worse...like draft picks to truly rebuild...but does SauNDers want to coach AND GM a few years rebuilding or try to make the playoffs next year?

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they have a ton of suitors they are playing off one another...you think GS is the only trade partner they can work? Chicago, Lakers, Boston, etc...the offers would be different but they aren't necessarily worse...like draft picks to truly rebuild...but does SauNDers want to coach AND GM a few years rebuilding or try to make the playoffs next year?

If you are Flip and moving Love you better be thinking about rebuilding. The West is stacked and you are losing a top 10 player, you won't be competing in the West in the next few years. IMO, the Wolves have a few good pieces, Rubio (PG), Dieng(first big off the bench PF/C), Pekovic (C), but a clear weakness on the wing. I would think getting a SG/SF is their main objective in any trade. Getting Klay, Lee and 2015 pick helps them now and in the future. I think Klay is better than anyone in this draft that the Wolves could theoretically acquire with any of the picks they get from the Celtics or Bulls. Taj Gibson and Butler are good players, but Gibson is 29 and Butler will likely never come close to the offensive game that Klay has and will never be a great shooter.

With the Warriors deal they get Klay and the have their backcourt locked up for at least 5 years. They could draft Saric (20yo PF from Croatia, in Europe for 2 more years) at 13 knowing they won't compete for a few years. This would allow them to have 2 picks in 2015 (they owe the Suns a 1st but I think its top 10 protected. They could move Lee next year as a big expiring and have a decent young core. Thise picks and dealing Lee will likely yield them another starter (SF) and 2 more bench pieces. By 2016-17 this team would still be young and could battle for the playoffs. I think a deal involving Klay and a 1st is the best deal out there. If they were able to get a package where the pick would deliver Wiggins or Parker, I would prefer that if I was Minny, but outside of that would you wanna move love for Aaron Gordon being the main piece coming back? I think getting an established all star caliber player at a position of need who is only 24, a 1st, a good PF that I could eventually flip AND dump some salary is a pretty good deal for a player that will be leaving anyways.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed, and I'm not buying that Minny doesn't have many trade partners considering Boston, LA, Chitown are involved. Also, for Klay to be a to 3 - 4 SG in this league, he's gonna have to work on his handles just like Harrison, but we've seen from the 2013-2014 season that Klay has attacked the rim more often than his first two seasons.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol, the Lakers aren't in this. Don't kid yourself. The only thing of value they have to offer is the 7th pick, and the Celtics are coming to the table with the 6th + players/picks. It's between the Warriors, Celtics, and Bulls at this point, and the Warriors are offering (not offering?) the best player on the table in Klay Thompson.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, and I'm not buying that Minny doesn't have many trade partners considering Boston, LA, Chitown are involved. Also, for Klay to be a to 3 - 4 SG in this league, he's gonna have to work on his handles just like Harrison, but we've seen from the 2013-2014 season that Klay has attacked the rim more often than his first two seasons.

FFS. LA is only involved for shits and giggles. The only way they're getting into this deal is if they someone manage a 3-way trade with the Dubs, Celts, or Bulls. They are not a stand alone negotiating partner because they simply don't have any assets to trade. Stop.

If we're talking about teams that are 1) have enough assets to trade and 2) are plausible destinations for Love to resign, you're down to us, Boston, and Chicago.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FFS. LA is only involved for shits and giggles. The only way they're getting into this deal is if they someone manage a 3-way trade with the Dubs, Celts, or Bulls. They are not a stand alone negotiating partner because they simply don't have any assets to trade. Stop.

If we're talking about teams that are 1) have enough assets to trade and 2) are plausible destinations for Love to resign, you're down to us, Boston, and Chicago.

I wouldn't be too sure, nothing's done until the ink dries.

HOU could be in this, or any number of teams.

LAL does have Baze and Henry to dangle out there :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since you don't consider Klay a top 3-4 two guard I'd be interested to see your list and where you actually rank him.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston has a HUGE task ahead of them in getting rid of the Lin/Asik contracts. Good luck with that.

The Warriors were able to get rid of Jefferson's contract as well as Biedrins. Neither of those guys could actually play. Both Lin and Asik are both solid rotational players, arguably starter material for some teams. Add to the fact their contracts will be expiring, and the Rockets should have no trouble moving them.