• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi wants out of San Antonio

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to imagine that if they believe he wants out, that they have their sights set on certain players. Even if they aren't sure, I bet they're looking at a few. Aldridge needs help.

But ultimately if they lose Kawhi they are not going to be a threat in the playoffs next year. Best case scenario they are a #4 seed that gets a single series win. IMO, there is too much riding on the Kawhi situation for them to rush it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Keeping your powder only makes sense when there are bigger targets to go after. Who are the bigger targets the Lakers are going after next year if George and Lebron are off the market? Klay Thompson?

If they can get one piece now, then they need to do it. Hoping that Kawhi will stay true to his desire and sign with the Lakers after next season is a pretty huge risk.

Trying to build your team in free agency is always much riskier than via drat and/or trades.

The goal is to build a contending team. Trading all their young assets for Kawhi doesn't get them there if he is the only piece. If they strike out on Bron and PG, the play is to save cap space and hope to sign Kawhi and LeBron next off season to go with some of their youngins.

Trading everything for Kawhi only makes sense if they have a contender.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the last part.

If they miss on both LeBron and George, I think making a big trade for Kawhi would be less appealing. If they don't have anybody to pair with him, trading for him doesn't make much sense.

Especially when they can preserve their cap space and potentially get him and someone else next season when the FA group is deeper.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially when they can preserve their cap space and potentially get him and someone else next season when the FA group is deeper.

But then they're hoping the Celtics or sixers don't trade for him, and make him comfortable. Or shoot, even the spurs could spend the season rebuilding the relationship.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goal is to build a contending team. Trading all their young assets for Kawhi doesn't get them there if he is the only piece. If they strike out on Bron and PG, the play is to save cap space and hope to sign Kawhi and LeBron next off season to go with some of their youngins.

Trading everything for Kawhi only makes sense if they have a contender.
The trade for Leonard is dead on arrival until the free agency has started in my opinion. The Lakers first have to see who they get in free agency - If Magic Johnson decides to resign Julius Randle and picks up Paul George or Kemba Walker without any huge demands for instant titles - then they could wait on Leonard and hope he doesn't change his mind - either way - players are no finding the Lakers to be an attractive market again - That was not happening under the mismanagement of Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak - I think its the matter of time for when the Lakers do get lucky

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,656.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, it would be more than 1 draft pick. 2nd, from what I understand, the Spurs don't want Ball.

I think it would be Ingram, Kuzma, 2-3 future picks and at least 1 of the players the Lakers just drafted. 2 of them seem like exactly the type of Euro player that the Spurs seem to always have as contributors.

Whether or not that is enough will likely be determined by what Kawhi says he's willing to do and how teams respond. The Lakers only chance is if he scares other teams off. If he even indicates that he might consider another option, the Lakers have no chance.

Moritz Wagner reminds me of the type of player the Spurs go for. A big that can shoot the 3 and rebound alittle. He reminds me a little of Matt Bonner.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moritz Wagner reminds me of the type of player the Spurs go for. A big that can shoot the 3 and rebound alittle. He reminds me a little of Matt Bonner.

Matt Bonner lol. I hope he likes riding the bench

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the spurs I want kuzma, Ingram, and future first rd picks in like 2022 and 2023 when lebron's gone/past his prime and the lakers suck again. Even then I still don't feel comfortable trading a top 5 player in the league to the same conference

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But ultimately if they lose Kawhi they are not going to be a threat in the playoffs next year. Best case scenario they are a #4 seed that gets a single series win. IMO, there is too much riding on the Kawhi situation for them to rush it.
I'm gonna say there's still gonna be guys who wanna play for the organization even without Kawhi there. Doesn't have to be huge names, but I dont see why role players wouldn't wanna be there. People sign with bottom-feeding teams all the time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then they're hoping the Celtics or sixers don't trade for him, and make him comfortable. Or shoot, even the spurs could spend the season rebuilding the relationship.

That's true. It's a tough choice. They could keep their young core and add Kawhi and another max guy next year.

Or giving up much of the young core to try and to finish the rebuild strictly through FA.

Risk either way.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He and the other kid Mykawhathisname both are very much the types of players the Spurs always seem to find.

In fact, when they were picked, I wondered if they were picking them on the Spurs behalf.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree- he reminds me of Matt Bonner-

and the Lakers took him in the first round- before the kid from OSU was drafted if i am not mistaken. wtf.

I was surprised that WAgner kid went in the first round at all. I dont know many mocks that had him in the 1st or even early 2nd.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the San Antonio Spurs can't retain disgruntled Kawhi Leonard, they'll likely trade him to an Eastern Conference team, according to a USA TODAY report.

The Celtics have made inquiries about Leonard, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported earlier this month.

More from Sam Amick's story in USA TODAY:

Fellow West teams have been told, in essence, to get lost – none moreso than the Lakers, according to ESPN. As it stands, the Spurs are determined to either fix the situation or trade Leonard to an Eastern Conference team. For teams other than the Lakers, the threat of losing Leonard in free agency next summer makes the prospect of offering meaningful assets a complicated, calculated risk.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,656.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For teams other than the Lakers, the threat of losing Leonard in free agency next summer makes the prospect of offering meaningful assets a complicated, calculated risk.

And there lies the rub.....no EC team will offer up a lot of assets knowing he may in fact walk to the Lakers next summer....for basically a rental.

Eventually, the Spurs will play ball.....unless they want to risk losing him for NOTHING. And if it happens around the trade deadline they'll get a lot less than they would this summer.

Unless, they think they can fix it but Leonard has told Pop face to face he wants out. It'd be kind of funny (and dick-ish to be totally honest) if Leonard didn't report to camp and demajnded a trade before he suited up.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the San Antonio Spurs can't retain disgruntled Kawhi Leonard, they'll likely trade him to an Eastern Conference team, according to a USA TODAY report.

The Celtics have made inquiries about Leonard, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported earlier this month.

More from Sam Amick's story in USA TODAY:

Fellow West teams have been told, in essence, to get lost – none moreso than the Lakers, according to ESPN. As it stands, the Spurs are determined to either fix the situation or trade Leonard to an Eastern Conference team. For teams other than the Lakers, the threat of losing Leonard in free agency next summer makes the prospect of offering meaningful assets a complicated, calculated risk.

You think the Cavs get Kemba? @WiggyRuss

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there lies the rub.....no EC team will offer up a lot of assets knowing he may in fact walk to the Lakers next summer....for basically a rental.

Eventually, the Spurs will play ball.....unless they want to risk losing him for NOTHING. And if it happens around the trade deadline they'll get a lot less than they would this summer.

Unless, they think they can fix it but Leonard has told Pop face to face he wants out. It'd be kind of funny (and dick-ish to be totally honest) if Leonard didn't report to camp and demajnded a trade before he suited up.

The Cavs would, problem is they don’t have as much to offer. Hopefully the Spurs settle lol

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Come on. You know that isn't true. The Celtics or Sixers may not be willing to give up AS MUCH without feeling confident they can resign Kawhi but they absolutely will make serious offers for him. Both the Sixers and Celtics can make serious offers that are competitive without gutting their teams.

The assumption that the Lakers will offer more than the Sixers or Celtics is just an assumption.

Fultz, Covington, Zhaire Smith, and the Miami pick is as good or better than any deal that the Lakers would offer. Jaylen Brown, the Sacto Pick, and Terry Rozier is as well.

Both of those teams will see Kawhi as the gateway to to the NBA finals. And both of those teams are likely to believe that they can convince Kawhi that staying is better than changing teams again. Especially when they can offer more money to Kawhi that the Lakers can.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,656.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on. You know that isn't true. The Celtics or Sixers may not be willing to give up AS MUCH without feeling confident they can resign Kawhi but they absolutely will make serious offers for him. Both the Sixers and Celtics can make serious offers that are competitive without gutting their teams.

The assumption that the Lakers will offer more than the Sixers or Celtics is just an assumption.

Fultz, Covington, Zhaire Smith, and the Miami pick is as good or better than any deal that the Lakers would offer. Jaylen Brown, the Sacto Pick, and Terry Rozier is as well.

Fultz is a bust (the Sixers were trying to trade him on draft night and coudn't find a taker) IMO. Didn't like him coming out of college and he was banged up in his rookie seaso. When he was healthy, Brown didn't trust to play him in the postseason. You don't think people took notice of that?

Covington is going to be 28 and entering his 6th season. He is what he is, a nice player off the bench (12.7ppg) but not a starter in this League. Below average shooter (39.9%) and decent rebounder (5.5rpg).

Smith is going to be a rookie. The Spurs aren't dealing Leonard for basically just Smith and his upside