• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi wants out of San Antonio

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you want your team to give up a couple of your best young players in order for a 1 year rental? The Sixers and Celtics would be insane to do that.

Look, I agree what everyone has been saying. I believe Kawhi is screwing the Spurs and that he should just put up with his last season on contract and then do what he wants in free agency without putting his organisation is a bad position right now.

Just saying at the same time, if the Lakers offer the Spurs the best package that would benefit the organisation the most in a bad-case scenario, the Spurs would be petty not to accept it just because 'they're the Lakers'.
It depends.

If he says, I'm willing to be open-minded and give this place a chance and adding him made me a legit contender, yes.

Everyone said George was a rental only.

Everyone.

That might be the case still.

But, OKC still has a chance to hold onto him and obviously felt that it was worth it.

Another thing you have to remember:

Spurs could be stalling.

If you get two max guys this Summer, you won't have the means to add Kawhi by any means but a trade

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George never personally said he was going to Lakers in the summer. There were rumors.

And to be fair, neither has Kawhi yet - it's all tabloid gossip so far.
Lmfao....

Just like Kawhi, his management said he intended to go to the Lakers.

They actually told the Pacers the Lakers.

However, similar to the Paul George situation, there are risks if the Lakers are not able to land Leonard in the offseason via trade. Despite George’s intentions being clear with the Indiana Pacers, the Oklahoma City Thunder still took a chance on him and appear to be in a position to re-sign himafter building a strong relationship.

NBA Trade Rumors: Kawhi Leonard To Inform Teams He Intends To Sign With Lakers Or Clippers In 2019 Free Agency

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps... but the big concern would be that it would lead San Antonio to seek to not give Kawhi what he wants...

I've seen @trojanfan12 and others argue that the Spurs would accept the best offer in the end... but in such a scenario, I have a lot of trouble believing San Antonio would simply roll over and take it from Leonard...

... and I generally agree with the counter-argument that an organization can't afford to react weakly in the face of such shenanigans... that such weakness would be bad long term even if there is a shorter term cost in accepting a lesser offer.

To be clear, I'm talking about a significantly better offer. They will take a lesser offer if it's close enough that they can make some kind of logical argument for it.

The main reason I don't think that the trade will happen is that I think at least 1 other team will make them at least that kind of offer, even at the risk of a 1 year rental.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers will never do that trade. They're only going to offer 2 of 3 which won't be good enough even with a draft pick

First off, it would be more than 1 draft pick. 2nd, from what I understand, the Spurs don't want Ball.

I think it would be Ingram, Kuzma, 2-3 future picks and at least 1 of the players the Lakers just drafted. 2 of them seem like exactly the type of Euro player that the Spurs seem to always have as contributors.

Whether or not that is enough will likely be determined by what Kawhi says he's willing to do and how teams respond. The Lakers only chance is if he scares other teams off. If he even indicates that he might consider another option, the Lakers have no chance.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, I'm talking about a significantly better offer. They will take a lesser offer if it's close enough that they can make some kind of logical argument for it.

The main reason I don't think that the trade will happen is that I think at least 1 other team will make them at least that kind of offer, even at the risk of a 1 year rental.
Right....

We aren't talking about them taking TJ Mcconell and Bayless over Ingram and Ball.

But, Fultz and Covington, pick?

Maybe

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right....

We aren't talking about them taking TJ Mcconell and Bayless over Ingram and Ball.

But, Fultz and Covington, pick?

Maybe
theres nothing i can say that wont make me think that if i can bicycle kick a ball with the back of my head i can get laid.llooool im just kidding

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you get two max guys this Summer, you won't have the means to add Kawhi by any means but a trade

That may actually be the smart move by them. If the Lakers sign 2 max guys, they will have essentially removed themselves from consideration. That could significantly change Kawhi's tune.

Kind of a win-win for them.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, it would be more than 1 draft pick. 2nd, from what I understand, the Spurs don't want Ball.

Point is the Lakers should be back to making deep playoffs run sooner rather than later so I wouldn't want their draft pick which is likely going to be 25th or later if the Spurs send them Kawhi.

I prefer to deal with another team who can probably get me a pick in the lottery....at least that would be my thinking if I'm the Spurs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be helluva uncomfortable for him to start the Season on that roster WITHOUT taking the extension.

But, I honestly believe it could happen.

He is not signing an extension this summer.

I will bet anything on that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is the Lakers should be back to making deep playoffs run sooner rather than later so I wouldn't want their draft pick which is likely going to be 25th or later if the Spurs send them Kawhi.

I prefer to deal with another team who can probably get me a pick in the lottery....at least that would be my thinking if I'm the Spurs.

Mine too. But if Kawhi drives his value down too much, they may not have a better offer. Also, the lack of picks or rather picks sooner in the draft, could be made up for with players the Spurs may want.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends.

If he says, I'm willing to be open-minded and give this place a chance and adding him made me a legit contender, yes.

Everyone said George was a rental only.

Everyone.

That might be the case still.

But, OKC still has a chance to hold onto him and obviously felt that it was worth it.

Another thing you have to remember:

Spurs could be stalling.

They're not dumb. They know within the first two weeks of free agency that it's likely that George and LeBron will have decided their destinations. If they can wait that out, and neither of those other two sign with the Lakers, they have a lot to work with. You can send Kawhi to the Lakers but he won't have LeBron or George with him.

He is not signing an extension this summer.

I will bet anything on that.
Yeah, I'm gonna agree there, cause if he does sign it, he can't be traded for up to a year afterwards. He ain't signing an extension.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not dumb. They know within the first two weeks of free agency that it's likely that George and LeBron will have decided their destinations. If they can wait that out, and neither of those other two sign with the Lakers, they have a lot to work with. You can send Kawhi to the Lakers but he won't have LeBron or George with him.

Yeah, I'm gonna agree there, cause if he does sign it, he can't be traded for up to a year afterwards. He ain't signing an extension.

The only way Kawhi would sign an extension is if he does it by Friday which seems exceedingly unlikely.

The Spurs have absolutely no reason to rush trading Kawhi. No matter where Lebron and George go, there will be at least 1 or 2 teams left without a chair when the music stops that will be more than willing to make a deal then.

For instance, let's say the Lakers get Lebron and George. Now the Sixers and Celtics realize that the path to the NBA finals for either of them will be decided by whether one of those teams gets Kawhi. If one of them does get Kawhi, then they are almost a lock for the finals. Even with the risk of losing him in 2019, they may decide to over spend for the rental.

OTOH, if Lebron and George stay where they are, the Lakers are going to be far more desperate to get Kawhi.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll be with Boston once the season starts. Makes too much sense.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way Kawhi would sign an extension is if he does it by Friday which seems exceedingly unlikely.

The Spurs have absolutely no reason to rush trading Kawhi. No matter where Lebron and George go, there will be at least 1 or 2 teams left without a chair when the music stops that will be more than willing to make a deal then.

For instance, let's say the Lakers get Lebron and George. Now the Sixers and Celtics realize that the path to the NBA finals for either of them will be decided by whether one of those teams gets Kawhi. If one of them does get Kawhi, then they are almost a lock for the finals. Even with the risk of losing him in 2019, they may decide to over spend for the rental.

OTOH, if Lebron and George stay where they are, the Lakers are going to be far more desperate to get Kawhi.

I disagree with the last part.

If they miss on both LeBron and George, I think making a big trade for Kawhi would be less appealing. If they don't have anybody to pair with him, trading for him doesn't make much sense.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the last part.

If they miss on both LeBron and George, I think making a big trade for Kawhi would be less appealing. If they don't have anybody to pair with him, trading for him doesn't make much sense.

I disagree. Keeping your powder only makes sense when there are bigger targets to go after. Who are the bigger targets the Lakers are going after next year if George and Lebron are off the market? Klay Thompson?

If they can get one piece now, then they need to do it. Hoping that Kawhi will stay true to his desire and sign with the Lakers after next season is a pretty huge risk.

Trying to build your team in free agency is always much riskier than via drat and/or trades.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My only issue, which I've stated several times, is waiting. How long can you wait if you're the Spurs? You can't really sign many free agents cause you don't know how much money you have to play with. And who will sign without knowing the situation with Kawhi? There's about a 2-3 week window at the beginning of July and after that, I really think they need to know where they're going with this.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only issue, which I've stated several times, is waiting. How long can you wait if you're the Spurs? You can't really sign many free agents cause you don't know how much money you have to play with. And who will sign without knowing the situation with Kawhi? There's about a 2-3 week window at the beginning of July and after that, I really think they need to know where they're going with this.

I think that is only relevant if there are specific free agents that the Spurs really want to go after.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is only relevant if there are specific free agents that the Spurs really want to go after.
You have to imagine that if they believe he wants out, that they have their sights set on certain players. Even if they aren't sure, I bet they're looking at a few. Aldridge needs help.