• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's being reported the receiver who caught the most TD's in 2012 will be signing with the Packers

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Jones had 14 TDs back in 2012 and since he had his ring his income was more important to him so he went looking for more then Green Bay would pay and left. Now that he is unemployed it looks like the Packers will get him for a reasonable amount of money to help out the receiving corp.

Much to the dismay of fans once a player gets a ring he is more concerned about income then he is about getting that second ring.

James Jones to sign with Green Bay Packers - NFL.com

James Jones to sign with Green Bay Packers

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that receiver James Jones will sign with the Packers, per a source informed of his plans. Jones spent his first seven NFL seasons in Green Bay.

The New York Giants cut the aging veteran on Saturday.

The 31-year-old wideout visited Green Bay on Sunday and was optimistic about a deal getting done.

"That's the plan, man," Jones said Sunday after landing in Green Bay, via ESPN.com. "Hopefully something gets done. I flew all the way over here, so hopefully something gets done. I'm excited man, it feels good to get back and be back home, so we'll see what happens."

His plan came to fruition.

Jones should step in and help fill the No. 3 role behind Randall Cobb and offseason standout DeVante Adams.

The question is how much they will utilize a ninth-year player with a declining skill set. The addition of Jones won't make up for Jordy Nelson's field-stretching ability.

The question for coach Mike McCarthy and the Packers' offense is how they will find reps for younger players with higher upside, like Ty Montgomery or Jeff Janis.

While Jones can come in right away and contribute at some level, it likely will take time for Aaron Rodgers to find comfort with his younger targets.

Adding Jones should take away some of the concerns early in the season, but there will be question marks about the development of younger, more talented playmakers if they remain behind the veteran for long stretches of the season.

As for Jones, there was no softer landing spot for the veteran than reuniting with Green Bay after a one-year tour in Oakland and preseason work in New York.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this signing. This makes the Nelson injury hurt much less. He knows the system and is used to having Rodgers throw him darts. Probably the closest thing to replacing Nelson that we could've done. Love love love

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this signing. This makes the Nelson injury hurt much less. He knows the system and is used to having Rodgers throw him darts. Probably the closest thing to replacing Nelson that we could've done. Love love love

Makes sense for a number of reasons. Smart.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The younger guys can (and will) get reps. Jones gives them the best chance to win NOW, which for a team with Rodgers at the helm is the most important thing.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he caught the most TD's in 2012 (14) but didn't he only catch (3) the following season with the Pack?

Good signing though... I don't expect him to replace Nelson though... He'll be a decent WR for them this year imo...

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he caught the most TD's in 2012 (14) but didn't he only catch (3) the following season with the Pack?

Good signing though... I don't expect him to replace Nelson though... He'll be a decent WR for them this year imo...
Yes he caught only a few TDs that year but he also had more yards than the year before. Sometimes you just find the end zone and sometimes you don't. Also I think Jordy broke out that year. And Cobb was beginning to prove himself so they took away some redzone opportunities from Jones.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure it alone changes any odds on GBs chances for wins/POs/SB? I have to give it a few games to see if I can put GB as my NFC SB pick? Especially that 2nd game should get a good idea what they have then. Good luck.

Darth_Tom

a.k.a. theseeker88
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back James "I drop passes that look way too easy" Jones.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad signing given their plight but there is a reason why he can't stick any football teams.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a bad depth addition. I don't think he is a game changer for Green Bay though.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad signing given their plight but there is a reason why he can't stick any football teams.
Maybe it's because Rodgers isn't throwing to him. His first 7 seasons were in GB.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played for 7 seasons with the Packers and led the Raiders in pass receptions last year. The reason he was cut by the Giants is because he requested it so he could sign with Green Bay. Jones is a quality WR.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played for 7 seasons with the Packers and led the Raiders in pass receptions last year. The reason he was cut by the Giants is because he requested it so he could sign with Green Bay. Jones is a quality WR.
Leading the Raiders in receptions just says you're the tallest midget.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's because Rodgers isn't throwing to him. His first 7 seasons were in GB.
He realizes he'd rather have Rodgers throwing him the ball instead of Eli.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had the most catches in his career last season with Oakland. But because it was Oakland the yards and TDs did not come along with it.

A new coaching staff comes in and wants his own team and goes a different direction so they let him go. He was gone just on season from GB. It is not like he has been jumping around to several teams and not making the cut.

The year Jones lead the NFL in 2012 with 14tds was the same year Jordy Nelson was out for the season after weeks 8 after he pulled a hamstring.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, what are Packer fans expectations of J. Jones this year? Yards? Receptions? TDs?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised he comes up with a 500/40/4 season. The way the offense is designed, he'll get his fair share of targets.

Just needs to hold onto the ball!!!

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, what are Packer fans expectations of J. Jones this year? Yards? Receptions? TDs?

The way Aaron distributes the ball around, I really don't have any expectations for any individual receiver. I just want him to catch the balls thrown to him that are catchable, and get as many yards afterwards as possible.

What I like about this signing is that he is a known commodity to Rodgers. Jones knows the system, he knows where Rodgers wants a receiver to be after the play breaks down, and he knows how to signal Rodgers if he knows he's going to beat his man off the line of scrimmage.

It's those little nuances that only come with experience that will make Jones valuable in this system again. There's a reason why TT didn't target Reggie Wayne in free agency, but made a bee line for Jones when he became available.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Aaron distributes the ball around, I really don't have any expectations for any individual receiver. I just want him to catch the balls thrown to him that are catchable, and get as many yards afterwards as possible.

What I like about this signing is that he is a known commodity to Rodgers. Jones knows the system, he knows where Rodgers wants a receiver to be after the play breaks down, and he knows how to signal Rodgers if he knows he's going to beat his man off the line of scrimmage.

It's those little nuances that only come with experience that will make Jones valuable in this system again. There's a reason why TT didn't target Reggie Wayne in free agency, but made a bee line for Jones when he became available.

Good point... Signing Jones was a very good decision... Rogers was obviously comfortable with him before and he's definitely familiar w/ him, which should make a big difference... Like packerzrule stated, 500/40/4 seems reasonable...