• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"It's a warrior's name"

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be very upset if they changed the logo on the helmet. Native Americans aren't asking us to do that. It is a source of pride for them. Screw the PC left. This has become far too political and smacks of Big Brother interering too much. When does all the legislation stop? Certainly ESPN is for anything draws more attention to them.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it wont die down and be in our favor without getting our side out .

now if anyone wants a compromise i can see us dropping the name red , and just go by skins

i could live with that because the history doesnt die with it

i dont think we should have to , but i could compromise a bit . but will the other side do so ?

as for the logo i would change it because i like the spear . the "R" is cool too

As you might know, I'm not a big fan of the Redskin name, and I would prefer they change it.

At the same time, I'm also open for compromise.

I say they could keep the name Redskins, keep the same logo, but make large donations to Native American causes. I believe the Florida State Seminoles do that, and as a result their Native American themed mascot avoids controversy.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you might know, I'm not a big fan of the Redskin name, and I would prefer they change it.

At the same time, I'm also open for compromise.

I say they could keep the name Redskins, keep the same logo, but make large donations to Native American causes. I believe the Florida State Seminoles do that, and as a result their Native American themed mascot avoids controversy.

Doob.......I'm a big fan of yours, the avatar creativity that you've displayed on the "Ferguson" thread is second to none. That said, your idea in this regard while a good one, misses the mark a bit. It is true that the Florida State Seminoles do that, unfortunately, there has never been a tribe that bears the name that Washington uses. The better compromise would be to change the name the an actual tribe name, for instance, Apache, compensate them in the same manner and be done with it.

BTW: Go back to the spear helmet, change the current one to reflect the new name, but for Gods' sake don't go back to those awful, yellow things, or ugly assed R helmets.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doob.......I'm a big fan of yours, the avatar creativity that you've displayed on the "Ferguson" thread is second to none. That said, your idea in this regard while a good one, misses the mark a bit. It is true that the Florida State Seminoles do that, unfortunately, there has never been a tribe that bears the name that Washington uses. The better compromise would be to change the name the an actual tribe name, for instance, Apache, compensate them in the same manner and be done with it.

Thanks man, appreciate that :suds:

True, I guess at the end of the day all the solutions require a name change of some sort.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - I challenge most folks to show me people in the real world who take exception to the name or even care about this issue. I have not found even one (in numerous types of environments) so I find it hard to believe that there is huge public pressure to change this name.

...................and just like that you've found two ( DoobeeDoobeeDoo is the other)

BTW: There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of folks who still hate this team because of the racism that they held onto by not wanting to integrate this team has not faded from their memories. Pretty sure many of them would vote to change the name if for no other reason than spite.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it wont die down and be in our favor without getting our side out .

now if anyone wants a compromise i can see us dropping the name red , and just go by skins

i could live with that because the history doesnt die with it

i dont think we should have to , but i could compromise a bit . but will the other side do so ?

as for the logo i would change it because i like the spear . the "R" is cool too

What exactly would your compromise look like? Dropping the "Red" is not a compromise, but it is a pretty slick way to hold on to the original name. Substituting the nickname of the nickname is not a compromise!!!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly would your compromise look like? Dropping the "Red" is not a compromise, but it is a pretty slick way to hold on to the original name. Substituting the nickname of the nickname is not a compromise!!!

True, the Skins is probably the most offensive part of the name. I would rather they call themselves the "Reds" than call themselves the "Skins".

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the Ref who quietly refused to do Redskins games, he is a coward. He says he had a conviction about the name. But he wasnt so outraged as to not take money from the team since all 32 teams chip into the ref payfund.

Please note my taking exception to the characterization of this man. Money being fungible means that all of us at some point or another, have accepted money used for purposes that we would vehemently object to were we aware of that use.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...................and just like that you've found two ( DoobeeDoobeeDoo is the other)

BTW: There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of folks who still hate this team because of the racism that they held onto by not wanting to integrate this team has not faded from their memories. Pretty sure many of them would vote to change the name if for no other reason than spite.

Wrong. This isn't the real world and both of you appear to very much be all about getting attn on a regular basis. Try again.

Also - what in the world does the George Preston Marshall era have to do with the current situation (hint - nothing) & how many of these type of folks are even alive? Millions? LOL

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please note my taking exception to the characterization of this man. Money being fungible means that all of us at some point or another, have accepted money used for purposes that we would vehemently object to were we aware of that use.

Noted. Also note - who cares.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. This isn't the real world and both of you appear to very much be all about getting attn on a regular basis. Try again.

Also - what in the world does the George Preston Marshall era have to do with the current situation (hint - nothing) & how many of these type of folks are even alive? Millions? LOL

76.4 million baby boomers

<LI class=mod style="CLEAR: none"> (April 2014) Data from the U.S. Census Bureau show that there are 76.4 million baby boomers. There were actually a total of 76 million births in the United States from 1946 to 1964, the 19 years usually called the "baby boom."

<LI class=g> Just How Many Baby Boomers Are There?

www.prb.org/.../JustHowManyBabyBoomersA...

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noted. Also note - who cares.

You do........you did respond, didn't you? Besides I was specifically responding to someone that I have a lot of respect for, I'm sure that he will take this comment not as an insult, but rather in the manner for which it was intended.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
76.4 million baby boomers

<LI class=mod style="CLEAR: none"> (April 2014) Data from the U.S. Census Bureau show that there are 76.4 million baby boomers. There were actually a total of 76 million births in the United States from 1946 to 1964, the 19 years usually called the "baby boom."

<LI class=g> Just How Many Baby Boomers Are There?

www.prb.org/.../JustHowManyBabyBoomersA...

To be fair, this is as of 2012.
Just How Many Baby Boomers Are There?

www.prb.org/.../JustHowManyBabyBoomer..

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why won't RG3 defend the name? Why won't Redskin players answer questions about the name when asked questions about it? It's coming to the point where the Redskin players will pull a page out of the Clippers play book & protest against themselves before a game.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why won't RG3 defend the name? Why won't Redskin players answer questions about the name when asked questions about it? It's coming to the point where the Redskin players will pull a page out of the Clippers play book & protest against themselves before a game.

This is a very good point Doob, it is interesting that many here employ the term "PC" when it benefits them, yet fail to see the hypocrisy coming from those who won't take a position for PC reasons. I doubt however that we'll ever see a protest against themselves, fear being the driving force in that case.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I call Bullshit. He says he objected to the name. He knew the Redskins paid a portion of his salary even if he refused to Ref any of the Redskins games. So he was to outraged to Ref the games, but not so outraged he wouldnt take the money. If you disagree that much, say so and dont take the money period. He is a coward. IN the end, he hid his principles and his true feelings for a pay check.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call Bullshit. He says he objected to the name. He knew the Redskins paid a portion of his salary even if he refused to Ref any of the Redskins games. So he was to outraged to Ref the games, but not so outraged he wouldnt take the money. If you disagree that much, say so and dont take the money period. He is a coward. IN the end, he hid his principles and his true feelings for a pay check.

So money is NOT fungible?.........and the money that he took was specifically used by the NFL for exclusive NFL use only? How do we know that the money that he took also wasn't also used to fund S. Hussein when the country funded him?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So money is NOT fungible?.........and the money that he took was specifically used by the NFL for exclusive NFL use only? How do we know that the money that he took also wasn't also used to fund S. Hussein when the country funded him?

Sorry timed out for corrections.....should read, ........the money that he took wasn't also money used to fund..etc. etc.