• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm going to be honest about Seattle

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. There was LOTS of disagreement on Cable and Bevell on the Seahawks boards. I for one, was fine with firing both, depending on who we replaced them with.

Solari and Shots, the jury is still out.

I'm optimistic, but not convinced. Ironically, if Solari's group DOES improve a lot, he'll get all the credit, but they'll still be guys that Cable assembled and coached (ie: Britt going to the pro-bowl as a C, when he was downright awful for the years previous)
Well, if Solari takes a line with mostly players acquired/coached while Cable was here and makes it better, then he rightfully deserves the credit. However, 3 of the 5 starters will be players (Duane Brown, Ethan Pocic, DJ Fluker) that were here only 1 season or not at all with Cable. I think Solari can make his impact most with Ifedi, who is looking like a bust right now and was the most penalized offensive player in the league last season.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to watch. The offensive line Solari coached in New York was among the worst in the NFL. He was highly regarded for a time in SF because the oline had a lot of talent. But as the oline talent got worse so did the oline play during his tenure. My girlfriend is a Raider fan so I will be seeing a lot of Cable's oline this year. It will be interesting to see how each turns out.
Fair point about the NYG having a terrible OL last year, and what's interesting is one of those starters has been signed here. If the FO is betting on Solari, then I guess they also need to bet on who he advocates for. One thing about the Giants line though -- at least last year -- is they had absolutely zero talent on the field on offense after all those injuries. Eli had no help at all, and he's not the kind of QB who can make plays when they aren't there with his athleticism.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Cable is one of the worst OL coaches in the league and Bevell is probably the worst play-caller in the NFL bar-none. Kris Richard inherited a defense from Gus Bradley that just wasn't as good as it was under Dan Quinn. Now I'm not saying the 3 new coaches in their respective positions will turn things around overnight but it will happen at some point this season.
I realize many Seattle fans want to blame Cable, but Cable was a pretty effective Oline/OC at UofC, Atlanta and Oakland. The larger problem was the lack of attention paid to the Oline while JS and PC invested heavily on the D. As well as the oline being a revolving door. On average it takes 2-3 years for Olines to start to gel.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. There was LOTS of disagreement on Cable and Bevell on the Seahawks boards. I for one, was fine with firing both, depending on who we replaced them with.

Solari and Shots, the jury is still out.

I'm optimistic, but not convinced. Ironically, if Solari's group DOES improve a lot, he'll get all the credit, but they'll still be guys that Cable assembled and coached (ie: Britt going to the pro-bowl as a C, when he was downright awful for the years previous)

I like the potential of Solari as OL coach but I've never liked Schottenheimer's play-calling. He's almost never aggressive and you need to take chances every once in awhile on offense.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the Sullivans try moving vans in the middle of the night?
No but he did entertain selling the Pats to buyers who wanted to move them from Boston and didn't have a home field until after the merger. They played in all kinds of places; Harvard, Fenway...He then sold it to Victor Kiam who did absolutely nothing for them. Kiam after 5 or 6 years sold to some other chode who owned them for a year and tried moving them to Saint Louis until Kraft stepped up and bought them.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scooby you having trouble sleeping after seeing that potent Seahawk line up?
It will be a nice relaxing year. I know the Cards will be crap, but next year things will start to turn. A ton of cap space, second year under the new staff and a year under the belt for Rosen.

A lot of Seahawks fans on these boards are really delusional. It's kind of comical.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be a nice relaxing year. I know the Cards will be crap, but next year things will start to turn. A ton of cap space, second year under the new staff and a year under the belt for Rosen.

A lot of Seahawks fans on these boards are really delusional. It's kind of comical.
Johnson back healthy and you got Fitz the team shouldn't be awful. I think they tie or finish ahead of Seattle this season.

Next year Seattle will be in the same boat as AZ with cap space.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10::agree:

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson back healthy and you got Fitz the team shouldn't be awful. I think they tie or finish ahead of Seattle this season.

Next year Seattle will be in the same boat as AZ with cap space.

That's when you'll see us make moves in free agency.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if Solari takes a line with mostly players acquired/coached while Cable was here and makes it better, then he rightfully deserves the credit. However, 3 of the 5 starters will be players (Duane Brown, Ethan Pocic, DJ Fluker) that were here only 1 season or not at all with Cable. I think Solari can make his impact most with Ifedi, who is looking like a bust right now and was the most penalized offensive player in the league last season.

I'm not convinced Fluker will be a starter. We'll see. Depends I guess on whether they want to scream 'We're running this down!' to the other team.

Like I say, I'm optimistic. Solari has a good rep, but then so did Cable.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced Fluker will be a starter. We'll see. Depends I guess on whether they want to scream 'We're running this down!' to the other team.

Fluker won't be a starter that's already a given.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll either ignore you or he's have some excuse as to why the Seahawks were better than he predicted.
LOL, he put me on ignore last year. I was a little too rough on The Beav...ya know?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Fluker is the odds-on fave to be the week 1 starting RG, barring pre-season injury. And sure, Cable had a good rep...but PC & JS are clearly betting on Solari now. Doesnt make sense they would hire him but then disregard his input. They couldve just kept Cable and done that.

Fluker won't be a starter that's already a given.

How is it even remotely a given that he won't be a starter? Do we have such better options in Reese Odhiambo and Jordan Roos? It's not an impossibility that 1 of those guys beats out Fluker, but it's far from a given to happen.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize many Seattle fans want to blame Cable, but Cable was a pretty effective Oline/OC at UofC, Atlanta and Oakland. The larger problem was the lack of attention paid to the Oline while JS and PC invested heavily on the D. As well as the oline being a revolving door. On average it takes 2-3 years for Olines to start to gel.

Tom Cable came to the Seahawks in 2011. In that time....

2011 - 1st and 3rd round picks on OL
2014 - 2nd round pick on OL
2015 - 2 4th round picks on OL
2016 - 1st and 3rd round picks on OL

So basically in 3 drafts they didn't invest in early picks on OL. Mainly because they had a mostly consistent line at the time. And that doesn't even talk about the DL conversions and later round picks.

The problem was that guys like Giacomini and Carpenter and Sweezy went off for way too high priced contracts.

Last year the Seahawks OL starters were a 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, a FA former 1st round pick, and an UDFA LT who looked promising until his knee blew out.

And through all of that the Seahawks line never rose above average to below average.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Cable came to the Seahawks in 2011. In that time....

2011 - 1st and 3rd round picks on OL
2014 - 2nd round pick on OL
2015 - 2 4th round picks on OL
2016 - 1st and 3rd round picks on OL

So basically in 3 drafts they didn't invest in early picks on OL. Mainly because they had a mostly consistent line at the time. And that doesn't even talk about the DL conversions and later round picks.

The problem was that guys like Giacomini and Carpenter and Sweezy went off for way too high priced contracts.

Last year the Seahawks OL starters were a 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, a FA former 1st round pick, and an UDFA LT who looked promising until his knee blew out.

And through all of that the Seahawks line never rose above average to be

First we know Cable had some input into drafting but just how much none of us know for sure?

Since 2010 when PC took over, the Seahawks have had 78 draft picks. They've selected 13 Olinemen. Of which only seven were drafted in the 3rd round or higher. Most agree even 1st rounders aren't guarentees to make it as a quality NFL Olinemen.

I think we all can further agree it takes a couple years minimum for O lines to gel. As well as Moffitt. If you recall many 12s hated these players? Yes like most players especially T and G they will go seek $ after their contracts are up. Every team has that problem. That's why you must build a bench and take those unsexy picks when you already have Olinemen on your roster.

In 2010 and again in 2011 Carroll selected Okung and Carpenter in the first rounds. As well as Moffitt in the 2nd.

Fast forward 2012 Seattle didn't pick an OL even though they had 10 picks.

2013 they selected someone with their last pick. Seattle had 11 that year.

Keep in mind it takes a minimum of two years to build a cohesive line.

2014-17 they took two OL in each. One or two are still on the roster.

There is a reason Marshawn Lynch had his best years in Seattle during 2010-2014. His decline began in 15. 2-3 years after not addressing the Oline. Yes ML aged but the Oline lack of depth was/is a problem.

Bottom line $ was spent on the defense and not retaining any Olinemen. It's not sexy but you got to stock up on those guys and pay them if you want to have a decent run game and protect the QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2010 when PC took over, the Seahawks have had 78 draft picks. They've selected 13 Olinemen. Of which only seven were drafted in the 3rd round or higher. Most agree even 1st rounders aren't guarentees to make it as a quality NFL Olinemen.

Germain Ifedi
Rees Odhiambo
Terry Poole
Mark Glowinski
Ryan Seymour
John Moffitt
Ethan Pocic
Joey Hunt
Jamarco Jones
Justin Senior
Justin Britt
Garrett Scott
Michael Bowie
James Carpenter
Russell Okung

16 players. That's nearly 2 lineman per draft.

There is a reason Marshawn Lynch had his best years in Seattle during 2010-2014. His decline began in 15. 2-3 years after not addressing the Oline. Yes ML aged but the Oline lack of depth was/is a problem.

Bottom line $ was spent on the defense and not retaining any Olinemen. It's not sexy but you got to stock up on those guys and pay them if you want to have a decent run game and protect the QB.

Tom Cable was given almost complete control of the OL. Yes, there were challenges for him because players left which hurt cohesion. But just about every team suffers from player attrition.

I get that you really really want to paint the loss of Tom Cable as a negative for the Seahawks but there is simply no evidence to support that claim.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Germain Ifedi
Rees Odhiambo
Terry Poole
Mark Glowinski
Ryan Seymour
John Moffitt
Ethan Pocic
Joey Hunt
Jamarco Jones
Justin Senior
Justin Britt
Garrett Scott
Michael Bowie
James Carpenter
Russell Okung

16 players. That's nearly 2 lineman per draft.

Tom Cable was given almost complete control of the OL. Yes, there were challenges for him because players left which hurt cohesion. But just about every team suffers from player attrition.

I get that you really really want to paint the loss of Tom Cable as a negative for the Seahawks but there is simply no evidence to support that claim.

I still count 13 as I didn't include the 2018 draft which is J. Jones.
Seattle Seahawks draft history - Wikipedia

Personally I could care less about painting Cable in any manner. It is what it is. I still see what ML did when they addressed the line. Not taking a handful of 5-7 rounders. I saw what happened when they didn't address the Oline and how ML's production began to decline.

Cable everywhere else was touted a quality Oline coach and OC. Yet Seattle fans want to make him out to be the worst coach ever.

Guess we'll see what happens now?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fluker is the odds-on fave to be the week 1 starting RG, barring pre-season injury.

I dunno, in my ideal world Fant comes back 100% healthy and starts at RT. That leaves Ifedi free to slide inside and play guard, where his disposition and physicality really shines. If that happens, Fluker only comes in if there's injuries, or to spell someone.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh, NWPF. Just making friends.