• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm going to be honest about Seattle

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That part is easy. Here's what we have for wide receivers...

Doug Baldwin
Jaron Brown
Amara Darboh
Cyril Grayson
Marcus Johnson
Tyler Lockett
Tanner McEvoy
David Moore
Caleb Scott
Damore'ea Stringfellow

While not all those guys behind Baldwin will make the roster, they all have a legitimate shot to provide solid depth behind the other 3 in Lockett Darboh and McEvoy. I like what Brown brings to the table from AZ.
We are not going to have some amazing list of receiving threats on the field in 2018. It's clear we are reverting back to a much more power run focus by allowing Graham, Luke W, and P-Rich to walk in free agency, replacing them with guys who can block (and in the case of P-Rich, just promoting from within) and going cheaper/younger at WR. But if there's anyone who should know you don't have to have some dazzling WR corps to win in the NFL, it's a NE fan.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not going to have some amazing list of receiving threats on the field in 2018. It's clear we are reverting back to a much more power run focus by allowing Graham, Luke W, and P-Rich to walk in free agency, replacing them with guys who can block (and in the case of P-Rich, just promoting from within) and going cheaper/younger at WR. But if there's anyone who should know you don't have to have some dazzling WR corps to win in the NFL, it's a NE fan.

And that's the point I keep trying to make. When was the last time we had a bona fide stud at WR in their prime?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's the point I keep trying to make. When was the last time we had a bona fide stud at WR in their prime?
It's probably Joey Galloway. I guess my point is: it doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of how good the team can be. Look at the current list of bona fide stud WRs in the NFL. You won't find a correlation between having a stud WR and winning championships.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing the life that these Seattle threads have.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably Joey Galloway. I guess my point is: it doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of how good the team can be. Look at the current list of bona fide stud WRs in the NFL. You won't find a correlation between having a stud WR and winning championships.

Outside of a select few guys like Largent, Joey Galloway and Doug Baldwin, we've never had an elite group of receivers around them yet we've won alot of games with those supporting casts.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE has a knack for developing WRs. Especially cast offs and UDFAs and turning them into top quality slot receivers. Not so much on the WO side. They also have a pocket passing QB who has a quick release, maybe reads defenses as good as any QB, in an offense that is predicated on quick reads and getting rid of the ball. Too bad BB and co. can't seem to find/develop DBs the same way.

Seattle's offense does appear to be headed back to a run first offense like I mentioned as well. RWs greatest strength is his mobility. Not utilizing unknown receivers running quick slants and precise routes. He needs receivers who can get downfield and get open when he scrambles. So maybe they have a few of them on this list?

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE has a knack for developing WRs. Especially cast offs and UDFAs and turning them into top quality slot receivers. Not so much on the WO side. They also have a pocket passing QB who has a quick release, maybe reads defenses as good as any QB, in an offense that is predicated on quick reads and getting rid of the ball. Too bad BB and co. can't seem to find/develop DBs the same way.

Seattle's offense does appear to be headed back to a run first offense like I mentioned as well. RWs greatest strength is his mobility. Not utilizing unknown receivers running quick slants and precise routes. He needs receivers who can get downfield and get open when he scrambles. So maybe they have a few of them on this list?

That's about all the Patriots do. When was the last time they drafted a WR? All I ever see them do is take castoffs from other teams; like you mentioned; and turn them into stars.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of a select few guys like Largent, Joey Galloway and Doug Baldwin, we've never had an elite group of receivers around them yet we've won alot of games with those supporting casts.

You do realize that during the Largent era Seattle averaged 7 wins a year while making the playoffs four times in 19 years. 8 wins a year during the Galloway journey and one playoff game.
In their 35 year history they've won 12 or more games only FOUR times.

Is that a lot? Asking for a friend.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that during the Largent era Seattle averaged 7 wins a year while making the playoffs four times in 19 years. 8 wins a year during the Galloway journey and one playoff game.

It's not just about 1 guy. Football is a team sport. Why do you think we've been a winning team the past few years. We have a great GM in John Schneider who works closely with HC Pete Carroll to give us the best 53-man roster he can muster. It's up to Pete Carroll and the ENTIRE coaching staff to get those 53 players to perform at the highest level they can every game.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWP, setting the record straight on Seahawks history too.

Like we didn't live through the Behring era ourselves.

Ooops, I forgot, I'm only 22, and started watching football in '13.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about all the Patriots do. When was the last time they drafted a WR? All I ever see them do is take castoffs from other teams; like you mentioned; and turn them into stars.
Malcolm Mitchell, 4th round in 2016. He should return from IR this year? As a rookie he had the trust of TB12 which usually doesn't happen.
Julien Edelman, 7th round 2009. He'll also be returning from IR.
Matthew later, 5th round 2008. Who's really just a ST stud not a WR.
They've drafted a handful over the last 10 years but these three are the only ones still around.

Your point is well taken. As I mentioned BB can find WR talent. Not so much on DBs.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malcolm Mitchell, 4th round in 2016. He should return from IR this year? As a rookie he had the trust of TB12 which usually doesn't happen.
Julien Edelman, 7th round 2009. He'll also be returning from IR.
Matthew later, 5th round 2008. Who's really just a ST stud not a WR.
They've drafted a handful over the last 10 years but these three are the only ones still around.

Your point is well taken. As I mentioned BB can find WR talent. Not so much on DBs.

Can't even count Slater as a member of the WR group in New England. As you mentioned he's strictly a ST player. Was I finally able to get through to you?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just about 1 guy. Football is a team sport. Why do you think we've been a winning team the past few years. We have a great GM in John Schneider who works closely with HC Pete Carroll to give us the best 53-man roster he can muster. It's up to Pete Carroll and the ENTIRE coaching staff to get those 53 players to perform at the highest level they can every game.
Seattle struck gold in 2012/13 with two really good drafts by JS and PC. Those rookie deals allowed them to build a team with some depth. As contract came due players began leaving and depth suffered.
To be accurate on this honest thread only 45 players dress per game.
Why were the majority of coaches let go this past season?

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle struck gold in 2012/13 with two really good drafts by JS and PC. Those rookie deals allowed them to build a team with some depth. As contract came due players began leaving and depth suffered.
To be accurate on this honest thread only 45 players dress per game.
Why were the majority of coaches let go this past season?

Tom Cable is one of the worst OL coaches in the league and Bevell is probably the worst play-caller in the NFL bar-none. Kris Richard inherited a defense from Gus Bradley that just wasn't as good as it was under Dan Quinn. Now I'm not saying the 3 new coaches in their respective positions will turn things around overnight but it will happen at some point this season.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NWP, setting the record straight on Seahawks history too.

Like we didn't live through the Behring era ourselves.

Ooops, I forgot, I'm only 22, and started watching football in '13.

You give yourself too much credit. You're not one of the original 12s. You didn't start watching until 2014. :lol:

Look I'm not the one who brought up winning a lot of games. I was just trying to get a gauge of the new kid by asking (for a friend) what quantifies a lot?

Trust me Ken Behring has nothing on the Sullivan's. NE fans know the dark years, football, baseball and to a lesser extent hockey.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You give yourself too much credit. You're not one of the original 12s. You didn't start watching until 2014. :lol:

Look I'm not the one who brought up winning a lot of games. I was just trying to get a gauge of the new kid by asking (for a friend) what quantifies a lot?

Trust me Ken Behring has nothing on the Sullivan's. NE fans know the dark years, football, baseball and to a lesser extent hockey.

I remember the teams of the 80's even though I'm only 30 years old. I have ESPN highlights to thank for that.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did the Sullivans try moving vans in the middle of the night?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Cable is one of the worst OL coaches in the league and Bevell is probably the worst play-caller in the NFL bar-none.

Meh. There was LOTS of disagreement on Cable and Bevell on the Seahawks boards. I for one, was fine with firing both, depending on who we replaced them with.

Solari and Shots, the jury is still out.

I'm optimistic, but not convinced. Ironically, if Solari's group DOES improve a lot, he'll get all the credit, but they'll still be guys that Cable assembled and coached (ie: Britt going to the pro-bowl as a C, when he was downright awful for the years previous)

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. There was LOTS of disagreement on Cable and Bevell on the Seahawks boards. I for one, was fine with firing both, depending on who we replaced them with.

Solari and Shots, the jury is still out.

I'm optimistic, but not convinced. Ironically, if Solari's group DOES improve a lot, he'll get all the credit, but they'll still be guys that Cable assembled and coached (ie: Britt going to the pro-bowl as a C, when he was downright awful for the years previous)

It will be interesting to watch. The offensive line Solari coached in New York was among the worst in the NFL. He was highly regarded for a time in SF because the oline had a lot of talent. But as the oline talent got worse so did the oline play during his tenure. My girlfriend is a Raider fan so I will be seeing a lot of Cable's oline this year. It will be interesting to see how each turns out.