• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh officially going to Michigan

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ego isnt that big i guess. wasnt about the money. 7 years 35 mill. only 5 mill a year. wow. shocked

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lucky for Sonny Boy that Jim opted out of the NFL. Can you imagine if he went to another NFL team and had great success, especially if the niners were not doing real well?

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ego isnt that big i guess. wasnt about the money. 7 years 35 mill. only 5 mill a year. wow. shocked

The per year salary might seem shocking, but you need to look into the details on these sorts of things. The little line no one is really paying attention to is the deferred compensation agreement to be decided in 2015. That could be some big money and where they are going to give him the rest of the money, but 10 years down the road for Harbaugh's retirement or whatever. It'll also earn interest the whole time.

It's also really common for college coaches to get a "housing allowance" or the university will flat out buy a coaches house and pay for the upkeep etc. Most NFL coaches get a flat salary with a few other things thrown in, but colleges work a lot of other things into a contract besides salary like free tuition for the kids, house, assistant coach raises etc.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The per year salary might seem shocking, but you need to look into the details on these sorts of things. The little line no one is really paying attention to is the deferred compensation agreement to be decided in 2015. That could be some big money and where they are going to give him the rest of the money, but 10 years down the road for Harbaugh's retirement or whatever. It'll also earn interest the whole time.

It's also really common for college coaches to get a "housing allowance" or the university will flat out buy a coaches house and pay for the upkeep etc. Most NFL coaches get a flat salary with a few other things thrown in, but colleges work a lot of other things into a contract besides salary like free tuition for the kids, house, assistant coach raises etc.

Yeah if he stays or that long it will look ok but I think he is gone after 3 years maybe 4 or 5. He is going to get that feeling to go back to the NFL after having success.

van_basten

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not sure why you bring up "housing allowance and upkeep etc". When someone is making multi-million dollars, those stuff are so trivial. The fact is that Harbaugh is taking less money than he could have...

How Michigan Landed Jim Harbaugh - WSJ

“Jim insisted that he not be the highest-paid coach in college football, or even the Big Ten,” Hackett said. “I think that tells you something about his values.”

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh looked pretty happy today going back home to his home Michigan. I know how much he respected both his dad and Coach Schembechler for the coaching they did at Michigan. Bo was a huge mentor for Coach Harbaugh...almost a second dad or a close uncle. I think Harbaugh really looks forward to this challenge and turning this thing around for Michigan. I will be rooting for him.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is just my opinion but I think this came down to money. I think this has been going on for bit with offers from Cleveland, Oakland, Michigan of course and the 9ers offer,maybe others. It seems like he or his agent put the word out that he was for sale. He chose the best money deal. I can't recall a HC in the NFL with the success he had getting these offers while he was under contract.

Well it obviously wasn't for the money now we see....essentially the same as with the 49ers 5m a yr+ incentives and deferred compensation..in fact probably less than he could have gotten from a pro team given contract inflation for erupting coaches who are successful....this one really looks bad on mgmt now. Harbaugh left due to a lack of RESPECT from mgmt..

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it obviously wasn't for the money now we see....essentially the same as with the 49ers 5m a yr+ incentives and deferred compensation..in fact probably less than he could have gotten from a pro team given contract inflation for erupting coaches who are successful....this one really looks bad on mgmt now. Harbaugh left due to a lack of RESPECT from mgmt..
You might be correct or you may be wrong. My post was about my opinion and not a fact. The reality is that we might never know the truth to this. My observation is more about how other teams were looking at a HC who was not on the market for hire. Who triggered that? Jed or Harbs?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be correct or you may be wrong. My post was about my opinion and not a fact. The reality is that we might never know the truth to this. My observation is more about how other teams were looking at a HC who was not on the market for hire. Who triggered that? Jed or Harbs?

:agree:

Great post Darken. I completely agree. Th speculation is running rampant here and in the press. People are quick to put this all on management and a few are putting it on Harbaugh and guessing as to the reasons why Harbaugh is no longer here. I wanted harbaugh back but will reserve judgement until the facts come out if they ever do. If the reason for Harbaugh being soley due to personality conflicts and not being to get along, then I would put that on mgmt. But if there is more to it. What if mgmt was demanding change in the staff ( Getting rid of Roman) and Harbaugh refused to budge? I might think alittle differently about it.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Great post Darken. I completely agree. Th speculation is running rampant here and in the press. People are quick to put this all on management and a few are putting it on Harbaugh and guessing as to the reasons why Harbaugh is no longer here. I wanted harbaugh back but will reserve judgement until the facts come out if they ever do. If the reason for Harbaugh being soley due to personality conflicts and not being to get along, then I would put that on mgmt. But if there is more to it. What if mgmt was demanding change in the staff ( Getting rid of Roman) and Harbaugh refused to budge? I might think alittle differently about it.

No doubt that they don't get along..mgmt wants buttkissers and yes men and Harbs is neither...Harbs backed his players and coaches. And mgmt is more concerned with appearances and brand protection and marketing. Mgmt is in to making money but knows little on how to motivate and retain the actual football talent necessary to win year in and year out. but alas there is still hope if they can get a strong coach with experiencebut I'm not holding my breath right now

van_basten

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that was the case York should have fired Roman right after the "mutual departure" with Harbaugh. He did not fire any assistant coaches so I doubt that was the case. I agree that we do not know all the facts. But base on the facts that came out so far and the way York responded in the press conference, it's perfectly reasonable that the fans are pointing fingers at him. Regardless of what the conflict was between York and Harbaugh, I don't see how 49ers fans have confident in this management going forward after this shit show they produced.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No doubt that they don't get along..mgmt wants buttkissers and yes men and Harbs is neither...Harbs backed his players and coaches. And mgmt is more concerned with appearances and brand protection and marketing. Mgmt is in to making money but knows little on how to motivate and retain the actual football talent necessary to win year in and year out. but alas there is still hope if they can get a strong coach with experiencebut I'm not holding my breath right now

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
BTW- I stated 5 years ago Jed the Palawan was a silver spoon who has never earned anything and was given his position as CEO not earned it thru good decisions and hard work and was destined to do exactly this type of thing...manage thru emotion not people skills. Infighting and backstabbing is no way to run an organization...while Harbs may not be the easiest guy to get along with at least he has your back and isn't the one twisting the knife and throwing pepo under the bus. Harbs has been silent while mgmt try's and cover their collective butts spinning to cover their inept mgmt skills. This is exactly what happens when you have inexperienced personnel running an organization. All we can do as fans is hold our collective noses and pray for divine intervention...me..I'd like to see an experienced hires s coach like shanny &son or the walrus return. both have experience with a real WCO and been around long enough to stabilize the situation. With Shanny, you possibly have his son take over when father retires...a 2for 1 all in the family deal. With the walrus, come back home to the fold type of situation. We need strong people to coach not yes men rubber stamp guys burt alas I just don't think that's what we will see. Most likely a inexperienced newbie who cannot challenge the status quo of Jed & Baalke......shake and bake.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why you bring up "housing allowance and upkeep etc". When someone is making multi-million dollars, those stuff are so trivial. The fact is that Harbaugh is taking less money than he could have...

How Michigan Landed Jim Harbaugh - WSJ

“Jim insisted that he not be the highest-paid coach in college football, or even the Big Ten,” Hackett said. “I think that tells you something about his values.”

I bring it up because there are alot of things that can get stuffed into there. It might seem trivial on first thought, but the 3.1 mill Saban got at Alabama shows it's really not.

He's taking less money right now, but unless people find out what the deferred compensation agreement is no one will ever know for sure if he took less money over the life of the deal. Even if he only stayed 3-5 years, and the offer was 6mill a year, is he really turning down the extra 6-10 mill to go back to college? I call BS.

If 5 mill a year or something close was fine with Harbaugh, an extension would have been done back when it was first offered a couple years ago before all the drama/trade rumors were coming out.

Chasin' Utleys

Uber Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point turning around another team is pointless for him. He needs to start adding championships and show longevity at his job. Both likely not to happen at Michigan.

Right the winningest team in Division I history, 11 National Championships, huge alumni backing and national presence with a new coach that was a winner both as a player and a coach and seemingly limitless funds - yep no way will he win a championship... :L

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry to say but Harbs is going to a far better place...coaching has its headaches, but to be loved by your peers does have its benefits some of which are tangible and some of which are less tangible like happiness dealing with people who have more reasonable expectations.....like we want to get better as opposed to winning it all every year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is just silly stuff. I am not sure how people come to these types of conclusions. None of us on this board knows what the environment is really like in that office.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
actually we dont know for sure, but by listening very carefully we do know someone has been leaking info and that someone is not Harbaugh. hHe is not spinning and talking and explaining...he is quiet and smiling and happy to be leaving..and being graceful......and Jed is ????? Spinning and saying we didn't have a meeting of the minds...at least Baalke has kept his mouth shut for now. Jed didn't like that his brand was being tarnished by the actions of certain players who got in trouble..but guess what..sheit happens when you got these modern athletes and you got to deal with it and stand beside them even when they f@ckup as best you can. Jed,s brand comment tells you where his mind is at...a coach is trying to win cuz there is a certain tru to "just win baby'...so this year we don't win and Jed,s the first to bail....shows no cash ones on his part...ya stick with the one who's getting you there and ya have you defeat based on reality ...Jed talking about winning the SB every year is just pure HSheit. ...winning just doesnt work that way. Stick with the guys who have shown they know how to win is the first and foremost step. Period