• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geez this team is terrible

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought maybe Mesoraco might have a comeback year, because he
well rested and injury free. At best he is playing like an average backup catcher.

A lot of players who had good years last year are having a bad year this year. Peraza, Winker, and Suarez being the exception. Hamilton and Duval are the worst. I'm hoping Duval finds himself. I think Hamilton is a lost cause.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's known as the mlb getaway strike zone. swing the bats. might as well. you too votto. btw, anybody else having a difficult time just watching the reds? i haven't felt quite this disgusted since.............never.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's known as the mlb getaway strike zone. swing the bats. might as well. you too votto. btw, anybody else having a difficult time just watching the reds? i haven't felt quite this disgusted since.............never.
I turned it off in the 6th last night in deference to on-line video slot machine games. I got the same effect. It's dreadfully tedious.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18 scoreless innings before they finally scored a run. Last night was their 5th shut out is 33 games

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whining about the strike zone now. The umps aren't going to cut this crap ass team any slack.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Geez this team is terrible"

Running out of things to say about this team. Even the broadcasters are running out of positive things to say about this team. Except when Winker comes to the plate, then they over do and say the same thing over and over again

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Geez this team is terrible"

Running out of things to say about this team. Even the broadcasters are running out of positive things to say about this team. Except when Winker comes to the plate, then they over do and say the same thing over and over again
They spend some time talking about the tough breaks the Reds are getting and a little complaining about the strike zone. Otherwise, reminding us that Tucker won a Gold Glove last year and that Hamilton almost won a stolen base title three times.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this Fangraphs chart about the teams.
There's a team "WAR" category that shows the 29th best team has a WAR of about 18. The Reds are in last place with a MINUS-1.7.
I don't know how that stuff is calculated but I thought, geez, we're rooting for a team that wouldn't be a contender in the International League.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a team "WAR" category that shows the 29th best team has a WAR of about 18. The Reds are in last place with a MINUS-1.7.

Maybe someday when I grow up, and get educated. I will understand fully what that means. But for now Minus -1.7 must pretty darn bad

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someday when I grow up, and get educated. I will understand fully what that means. But for now Minus -1.7 must pretty darn bad
I think it was overall about the pitching. The data on how WAR is determined isn't terribly complex, but it's more work than it's worth to me. When somebody uses a metric that helps bring me to WAR, I either take their word for it or compare it to traditional stats. If the guy strikes out a lot and the metrics can prove it, gee ... I guess adding shit up pays after all.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep waffling on this. I maybe would like to see them set the record this year but that's probably not even gonna happen.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you mean.

This team is really bad.
But, they're really good at it.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds are in last place with a MINUS-1.7.

Maybe the Reds don't understand the rating system.

They're operating on two negatives equal a positive, but it's not working.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes sir, that's the bottom line h-n-r. it's akin to the chewbacca imitations some of the players did for a tv spot / star wars night. they were so bad, they were good. meaning: it's campy like a john waters film. i guess that's how we should view the 2018 reds? yeah. it's a novelty act that doesn't have legs. that's what you are suggesting, right? i think it's a good idea, because there is no way you can take this club / organization seriously. i can't write any serious critiques anymore. alas, once and for all, it has become sad and pathetic. i'd rather watch some good young pitchers, crisp defense, and mallex smith attempt stealing home.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can also watch wonderful human interest story's. Like the one last night, that Tom Brenneman kept showing the family of the opposing pitcher cheering the Mets kicking the Reds ass.

I know I'm old and crusty, but that didn't go over well with me. The Reds stink I know that, but I'm still a Reds fan. When they are getting beat like that, on their home field I'm not happy. And seeing that, made me less happy. I don't think any other broadcasting crew in MLB would have shown that as much as the Reds did last night. But I'm old and crusty.

Tom Brenneman needs to just do the Fox game of the week, where he can be neutral and show things like that, and stay away from the Reds broadcast booth.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Riggleman can't handle pitchers and I have frankly grown weary of the praise being heaped on Danny Darwin, as if fans ought to buy tickets because of this unseen silver lining on the staff. You know, the "little things" that will make this team a contender without us realizing who architect'ed it. The truth is, Tyler Mahle is the best pitcher on this team and he has about 100 innings behind him. Which means they put an innings governor on him. Unless Darwin the Magnificent sees another agenda as useful. Having to use a pinch hitter in the 4th inning with a 4-man bench is really not my idea of game management.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the money is already spent and the tickets didn't come with a money back guarantee. So critiquing or sarcasm is dependent on the flavor of the day.

Promoting Danny Darwin is more an act of desperation than anything else. That's not saying he wasn't being fruitful in Pensacola, but there's an obvious lack of pitching developmental continuity between rookie ball and the big club. There has to be one philosophy that is built from the ground up. It's detrimental to development to have the coaches at various levels implementing their own individual philosophy. It's akin to teaching french to a freshman and spanish as a sophomore and so on.

Putting Danny Darwin on top of the pyramid doesn't make sense if you're not implementing the same philosophy in rookie ball.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through the first 35 games Reds SP have only thrown 100+ pitches 5 times and 3 of those belong Castillo. An additional 12 games have seen 90+ pitch outings. Without being privy to the conversation regarding fatigue in the dugout I assume there's a reduced governor on some of these guys. Some of it has been due to an inept offense and pinch hitting early, but not all of the early exits fall under that category.

When you look at the guys that were guaranteed a rotation spot by showing up to ST it's been a disaster. Disco hasn't pitched yet and the team is 0-13 when Bailey and Finnegan start. Castillo missed time in ST and has been slow to get on track.

Mahle and Romano have been the two bright spots in the rotation, but that's by comparison to other green pennies. Weathering and oxidation doesn't look as nice on pitchers as it does on the Statue of Liberty.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lefty roundup.

I really don't understand the way they continue to use Cody Reed. He came to ST vying for a bullpen role only. Had some success and they elevated him to the rotation. One monumental failure of a start and three descent relief appearances before being optioned out. I thought they should have left him in the bullpen role.

Garrett's stuff plays much better in the pen. When he throws at a higher % of max effort he's much tougher on hitters.

Wandy Peralta gets used a lot. He goes through stretches where he's pretty good, but stamina may be an issue for him.

Finnegan is a whiner. He should be in the pen..... baby pen that is. The guy has good stuff, but can't pitch from a traditional sense.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any positive stat that the Reds are good ? This looks like it could be a historically bad season for the Reds. Not just worst in Reds francize history, but MLB history.

The hitting will probably get better. and the pitching will have better games. But I don't see them putting together any kind of run where they will win more than 60 games, and that is a very optimistic number. and that's still 102 loses.