• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geez this team is terrible

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought Votto was a better base runner prior to the 2012 knee injury.

I'd agree without looking at metrics that Votto's defense was better last season. But the balls he didn't field last night had nothing to do with skill level. It was Joey not being focused and just going through the motions of getting off the bag after holding the runner. He was clearly caught off guard when the ball was hit in his direction.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know attendance is bad when one guy collects 24 baseballs at a single game. He caught 17 during batting practice and 3 of the 7 during the game were home run balls. I'm using the term caught loosely. When you're the only fan in the section you simply walk over and pick it up.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know attendance is bad when one guy collects 24 baseballs at a single game. He caught 17 during batting practice and 3 of the 7 during the game were home run balls. I'm using the term caught loosely. When you're the only fan in the section you simply walk over and pick it up.
Applauding the guy for having the stones to buy a ticket.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally the Reds play better ball this time of year. Even if the Reds do pick it up a bit, and play the rest of the season like they have the past 3 years or so where they have lost 94, 95 games. They could lose over 105 games. and if they don't pick it up.....Move over 62 Mets. And if that happens, clean house top to bottom, because what they are doing isn't working.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between a .220 hitter and a .260 hitter is about one hit a week. Doesn't seem like much but when you lead the league in LOB and have .220 hitters who appear to be .260 hitters, you aren't going to score runs when you need them. The RBI, dismissed as irrelevant, is also important to a team's success.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The RBI, dismissed as irrelevant

Why do they say this, you can't score if you don't drive in runs. And I'm laughing as I'm typing this because it's so ridiculous. Metrics doesn't factor in a players drive or focus, or his heart. Human emotion vs Math, two different things

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been a casual fan of the Reds. (Fun Fact: They won the World Series in 1990 when I first got into baseball). Hoping the team turns back around soon.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do they say this, you can't score if you don't drive in runs. And I'm laughing as I'm typing this because it's so ridiculous. Metrics doesn't factor in a players drive or focus, or his heart. Human emotion vs Math, two different things
The problem with RBI as a metric is that it's team dependent and can't be much of a predictor. It is a metric that doesn't define a player's skills but illustrates that men were on base when he got a hit and that he had no control over that. Either way, I find nerdlieness to be interesting.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have only had three winning seasons during the 12 years of current ownership.

Bob Castellini was recently interviewed and asked if he meddles too much in baseball operations. Paraphrasing his answer he essentially said he didn't think so. He tells them what he thinks they should do and if nobody disagrees TOO MUCH they do it his way.

Want to keep your job at 100 Nuxhall Way, learn to say yes Mr. Castellini..... a lot!

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been a casual fan of the Reds. (Fun Fact: They won the World Series in 1990 when I first got into baseball). Hoping the team turns back around soon.
I think they can use all the fans they can get, casual or not. They aren't going to turn this around because they are convinced that the people they have are only another good summer of experience away from succeeding. they spent 2 years waiting on a pitcher to show up and he's not even throwing on a flat surface yet. I thought the Reds would be somewhere around .480 this year, not .280. It won't improve because they will soon panic and unload the truck again.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with RBI as a metric is that it's team dependent and can't be much of a predictor. It is a metric that doesn't define a player's skills but illustrates that men were on base when he got a hit and that he had no control over that.
Yep. Very overrated stat. It's like triple dipping for HR's. RBI, Runs and HR's.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bummer for the Reds is that the season was over in April. Nothing much to hope for. In MLB, you don't even have the next years draft pick to give you excitement.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bummer for the Reds is that the season was over in April. Nothing much to hope for. In MLB, you don't even have the next years draft pick to give you excitement.
We spend a lot of time getting wet undies over the draft picks. Last year's pick, Hunter Greene, is at Dayton learning how to pitch.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have only had three winning seasons during the 12 years of current ownership.

Bob Castellini was recently interviewed and asked if he meddles too much in baseball operations. Paraphrasing his answer he essentially said he didn't think so. He tells them what he thinks they should do and if nobody disagrees TOO MUCH they do it his way.

Want to keep your job at 100 Nuxhall Way, learn to say yes Mr. Castellini..... a lot!
I think Bob C is responsible for Dusty's firing, and went into that off-season being told that the rebuild would be soon and painful. So what better way to address that than with pitching and what better man to teach than the guru of pitching coaches. So Price was hired without an interview. The rebuild took on its own life form and Bob C was clueless about it. H

e wanted Bruce to stay, realized Bruce would leave. He wants Hamilton to stay and so far, he has. I think Bob C fears his legacy is about to rival that of the Pirates for 20 years and he's afraid he won't be recognized as a pillar of sports ownership but rather a newer version of PK Wrigley. Yeah, he meddles.

Steinbrenner meddled. He had better resources. Ricketts doesn't meddle. He hires smart people. Owners can have a positive role but they can't be swayed by facts that are not in evidence.

Bob demanded and guaranteed a winner and a ballpark full of fun. The ASG was his crowning glory, seriously. Meanwhile the city and the ball club keep adding bars and brat spits at the stadium for the 3,000 fans who want to watch paint dry.

I'd go to a Reds game if I lived near there because I like baseball and the Reds. But man, it's close being an insult to fans who have cared and waited ... not sure what we expected. I guess the "metrics" should have been clear to us.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dancin' in the streets after going 8 scoreless against a rusty starter and a bullpen that was even worse than the Reds'.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dancin' in the streets after going 8 scoreless against a rusty starter and a bullpen that was even worse than the Reds'.

I was wondering if someone else would notice that. They seem to relax to much when they have a lead. or they can't score runs and were just lucky to get the lead anyway

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering if someone else would notice that. They seem to relax to much when they have a lead. or they can't score runs and were just lucky to get the lead anyway
Left about 8 runners on base in the first 4 innings. The lineup has too many of the wrong people. Barnhart has to hit .800 with all doubles to be relevant when the pitcher is on deck and Hamilton is after that with 2 outs.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cut down on runners LOB last night. They had 4 hits and hit into 4 doube plays.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my 2021 prediction about relevancy is holding rather shakily.
I do see this team losing 110 games this year. Not much really to stop that.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do see this team losing 110 games this year. Not much really to stop that

If they don't start playing better, could very well be worse. With the pace they are winning games now, it would be somewhere around 120 loses. I really hope this is not going to be happening .

After last season I was thinking the Reds might be over 500 or close to it this year. I really didn't see this coming.