• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geez this team is terrible

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another meltdown on defense, Duvall evidently decides that being on base is hard on him.
You just can't get worse than this.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who that score keeper was that called Peraz's throw over Votto's head a hit. That was a terrible call.

Not to mention that nonchalant throw, cost the Reds the game. Errors are killing the Reds this year, and it not just one or two players it's the whole team. This whole season there has been a huge lack of concentration

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't help when 2 home runs launched 460 from home plate turn into a commentary that "it wasn't Homer's worst game." No, I don't suppose it was. Barnhart is out of gas. Duvall is a threat to be benched permanently.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another meltdown on defense, Duvall evidently decides that being on base is hard on him.
You just can't get worse than this.

Are your sure?

images

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some things ARE WORSE

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your right there are worse things

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I ever tried any of the Heinz Pizzas, but GABP had an ice cream on a stick vendor last year that was terrible. Not surprisingly they didn't make the cut this season. Bad baseball and bad ice cream makes for a terrible doubleheader.

Talking about food is supposed to make you hungry. Talking about that pizza and ice cream makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. Could be the baseball and not the food.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe both. Castillo is going tonight, probably, or should be his last chance start, before going back to AAA. Not sure who would replace him. Maybe Garrett, maybe Reed again, but Price is gone, so maybe not Reed

Has anyone heard anything about DeSclafani alias Disco. or Lorenzen. I never realized Lorenzen's injury was that serious, The way the Reds talked it was only for about 10 days when the season started

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe both. Castillo is going tonight, probably, or should be his last chance start, before going back to AAA. Not sure who would replace him. Maybe Garrett, maybe Reed again, but Price is gone, so maybe not Reed

Has anyone heard anything about DeSclafani alias Disco. or Lorenzen. I never realized Lorenzen's injury was that serious, The way the Reds talked it was only for about 10 days when the season started
Lorenzen isn't far off, I think.
Disco can catch a bus to Club 54.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that list Joey Votto as one of the best players in the NL has never seen him play defense and run the bases. The guy has tremendous focus at the plate and is in la-la land the rest of the game.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that list Joey Votto as one of the best players in the NL has never seen him play defense and run the bases. The guy has tremendous focus at the plate and is in la-la land the rest of the game.
Votto is a fucking joke.
Sorry to piss on the idol.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riggleman has had the team out working on defensive fundamentals. FIP, infield, and outfield situational refresher. I can only assume catching the ball was mentioned at some point.

Votto was the only IF not charged with an error last night, but he should have been. Hard hit balls one step to his left or right should be fielded. Good defense begins with an athletic posture of readiness. Standing straight up with your hands hanging to your sides is unacceptable.

Joey Votto isn't near the top of this clubs biggest problems, but his overall fundamental play is indicative of the flawed baseball we're watching. All Major Leaguers are flawed and none are perfect. But lack of focus and being flawed fundamentally increase the odds of human error.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have lost 19 straight games when Deven Mesoraco has been the starting catcher. Maybe it has something to do with whether the groundhog saw his shadow.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time in MLB history there were more K's than hits for an entire month.

It used to be somewhat acceptable for home run hitters to strike out more than the average hitter. Take the good with the bad theory.

Today it's become acceptable for everyone to strike out. I fail to see the good in that theory.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may just be that the 7 games the Reds won with Barnhart catching is a matter of luck.
Votto rarely fields a ball hit down the line. I know it's tough. I played that position in school.
But he needs to stop SOME of them since there are a lot of them.
I am weary of the "soft tosser lefty" who seems to have the Reds' number -- the guy who comes into the game with an ERA resembling 5.00.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows Fairfield was synonymous with excellent first base play. But only the great ones have a road named after them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows Fairfield was synonymous with excellent first base play. But only the great ones have a road named after them.
I replaced the fabled Jerry "Bigfoot" Cornelius at first base and held that position for a couple of years, saving my scatter-armed brother tons of embarrassment for his play at SS. I do probably have the highest career OBP at FGS.
But it was not at the grade school level that I learned the position. Also played it in some softball leagues -- fast and slow pitch. The 1B position in FP is a true adventure.

The road, yes ... Grandpa was for years the county surveyor and named all the county roads. It was fitting that they finally recognized that and gave him his own road.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch the game last night, but the way you guys are talking and I saw that they had 3 errors. It's probably safe to say that defense cost us the game. Or played a factor in losing the game. If so that's 3 games we lost to the Brewers that the defense played a big roll.

This team has played like this ever sense they started spring training. There is a lot of lack of concentration on the whole ball club. How they got this way ? I don't know

Last edited:

Buckeye_Tchu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's safe to say tracking defensive performance isn't an exact science, but advanced metrics had Votto as a top 3 (top 5 at worst) defensive 1B for the 2017 season. And have him similarly ranked here in the early parts of 2018 amongst qualifying players.

He's actually much improved defensively over the last year or so and plays a solid 1B glove.

Base running, on the other hand...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's safe to say tracking defensive performance isn't an exact science, but advanced metrics had Votto as a top 3 (top 5 at worst) defensive 1B for the 2017 season. And have him similarly ranked here in the early parts of 2018 amongst qualifying players.

He's actually much improved defensively over the last year or so and plays a solid 1B glove.

Base running, on the other hand...
I think Votto's defense on predictable plays is as good as anybody's. I think he tends to make poor decisions but I will try to be fair. Part of a good defensive team is a whole unit of players who are in the right spot at the right time. Infielders who don't cover their bag properly provide a poor target. Brandon Phillips and Zach Cozart make a lot of defenses look good. Infielders who are chickenwinging it or don't know where to accept a throw, yeah ... it makes everyone look bad.
Votto is the first baseman, he's supposed to catch the ball.