• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - Toronto at San Jose - Jan 11, 7:30PM

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To be fair to rules, cmon I don't think fully understands all the politics in hockey at the professinal level.

It's god awful horrendous a the jr level just in california

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To be fair to rules, cmon I don't think fully understands all the politics in hockey at the professinal level.

It's god awful horrendous a the jr level just in california

Perhaps. It's just very, very rare for the Head Coach or the coaching staff in general to have full say in who wears the letters on their sweaters. GM's and even ownership often have a ton of influence in the process. In Dougies case he's made it pretty clear that Blake last year and Thornton this year were who he picked to captain the Sharks and McLellan would have to follow suit with it.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon, how do you know so much? What do you do? Who do you work for? WHO DOES NUMBER TWO WORK FOR?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Perhaps. It's just very, very rare for the Head Coach or the coaching staff in general to have full say in who wears the letters on their sweaters. GM's and even ownership often have a ton of influence in the process. In Dougies case he's made it pretty clear that Blake last year and Thornton this year were who he picked to captain the Sharks and McLellan would have to follow suit with it.

Why would the captain of a team be chosen by the GM? What kind of message would the GM be sending to his coach? It doesnt make much sense....

the captain and the coach must work together and if they dislike each other or if the coach does not have power over the captain, then you can get a power struggle between the coach and, ultimately, just a player. I don't think I could coach as well if I (or at least my team) had no power over the captain. What gives a captain power is the respect of his teammates and coach, not being annointed by the GM who is not involved in the day-to-day operation of the team.

I might be wrong, and I would be shocked if dougie didnt approve the move or support it, but I can't believe that dougie unilaterally, without tmac, chose jumbo.

Cmon, drop a link or something that shows what you're saying...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You have no idea of the politics involved in hockey Rules.

It's how scumbags like pee air magquire manage to get jobs even though they have no business having one.

Its not as cut and dryor black and white as your making it out to be. Does your point of view make sense? Yes, is it reality no

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why would the captain of a team be chosen by the GM? What kind of message would the GM be sending to his coach? It doesnt make much sense....

the captain and the coach must work together and if they dislike each other or if the coach does not have power over the captain, then you can get a power struggle between the coach and, ultimately, just a player. I don't think I could coach as well if I (or at least my team) had no power over the captain. What gives a captain power is the respect of his teammates and coach, not being annointed by the GM who is not involved in the day-to-day operation of the team.

I might be wrong, and I would be shocked if dougie didnt approve the move or support it, but I can't believe that dougie unilaterally, without tmac, chose jumbo.

Cmon, drop a link or something that shows what you're saying...

GM's are far more involved in the day-to-day hockey operations than you seem to think. Just for example, the GM in Atlanta made Kovalchuk the captain before he was traded in attempts to persuade him to re-sign with the team. Same thing happened with Nash in Colombus. The GM and owners were the ones who stripped Lecav's of the C in Tampa Bay. It's a very common thing, especially for GM's, to be highly involved.

For the Sharks situation I don't think there is any friction between McLellan and Thornton over the situation. It's not a matter of like or dislike. McLellan probably views Thornton as an acceptable choice but not his 1st choice for that position. Without a doubt McLellan had his fair share of input on the situation but in the end Doug's stance that this is Thornton's team and it will live and die with him won out.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cmon, how do you know so much? What do you do? Who do you work for? WHO DOES NUMBER TWO WORK FOR?

I've been in and around the game at various levels both on the ice and in the office going on 40 years now.

And to answer your last question:

dr_evil.jpg

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was nothing done when Couture got cheapshotted? Clowe was the only one chirppin to the Leafs. So this is what Logan gets for busting his ass night in and night out? Not one other Shark player did anything.

No one is scared to play these Sharks. They are softer than Angel Soft toilet paper.

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was nothing done when Couture got cheapshotted? Clowe was the only one chirppin to the Leafs. So this is what Logan gets for busting his ass night in and night out? Not one other Shark player did anything.

No one is scared to play these Sharks. They are softer than Angel Soft toilet paper.

We do not have a true captain since Nolan left....bring him back. Our 3rd and 4th line are nobody now anyway.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Except for his initial few seconds on the ice when he came out of the box Orr didn't set skate on the ice again for the rest of the game. On top of that the Sharks really weren't in a position to take runs at Toronto's skilled players.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for his initial few seconds on the ice when he came out of the box Orr didn't set skate on the ice again for the rest of the game. On top of that the Sharks really weren't in a position to take runs at Toronto's skilled players.

I wouldn't want any Sharks to take a run at any Leafs (why isn't it Leaves, I don't know). That's not what I meant, even though it may have sounded like that in my post. I mean finishing checks and after whistle aggression.

I can understand if it was a conference opponent because the two teams will meet again, but since TOR is not a conference opponent, action should have been taken immediately. The Orr hit should have riled up the Sharks big bodies to finish their checks.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't want any Sharks to take a run at any Leafs (why isn't it Leaves, I don't know). That's not what I meant, even though it may have sounded like that in my post. I mean finishing checks and after whistle aggression.

I can understand if it was a conference opponent because the two teams will meet again, but since TOR is not a conference opponent, action should have been taken immediately. The Orr hit should have riled up the Sharks big bodies to finish their checks.

Because it's a proper noun. If you had a friend with the last name of Leaf you wouldn't change it to leaves to make it plural would you?

Yes, it should have riled up the Sharks but at the same time the team was on a 4 game loosing streak, they are out of a PO spot, and the game was very close. We all would have liked to see something done but at the same time the players need to be more worried about the two points than getting away from the game plan and exacting some measure of revenge.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's a proper noun. If you had a friend with the last name of Leaf you wouldn't change it to leaves to make it plural would you?

Yes, it should have riled up the Sharks but at the same time the team was on a 4 game loosing streak, they are out of a PO spot, and the game was very close. We all would have liked to see something done but at the same time the players need to be more worried about the two points than getting away from the game plan and exacting some measure of revenge.

Team morale is very low right now with the losing streak and all. To watch a teammate get cheapshotted and everyone stand by and not do anything will contribute to the low team morale. I understand that the game was in the balance, but there is a bigger picture here and that is, how far are you willing to go to protect your teammate.

We are lucky that Logan's knee was not destroyed, but suppose that it was and he was out for an extended period of time. I know if I was Logan I would want my teammates to actually show that they were offended by what happened. You have to have each other's back. That's what promotes a team atmosphere. An atmosphere where you stand up for one another regardless of the game situation. If you disagree then it's just a difference in team philosophy between you and I. I just think that with the Sharks floundering and the emphasis that has recently been put on lack of effort and playing hard for one another, this was a great chance for some teammates to show that they were indeed angered by what happened. It was an opportunity to show that, "hey, Logan, I saw what happened and I'm pissed. I'm going to go and play the body back on these Leafs and up the physicality level".

Again, I never asked for the Sharks to take a cheap run at any Leaf player. That's dirty and there's no place in the game for that, but finishing checks and even post whistle roughness is just fine. It at least shows that the hit triggered a response in the Sharks' play. The aggression doesn't even have to be directed towards Orr (since he never played another shift). It can be directed at any Leaf player.

What happens if Orr makes the hit on Logan, then on the next few shifts, three different Sharks finish their checks on Kessel? Orr will take notice and know that if he messes with any Shark player, their skill players will receive the brunt of the consequence.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree that you wouldn't change it just to make it plural, but the name is wrong to begin with. The name of the franchise is Toronto Maple Leafs. That's wrong from the get go.

Would you start a franchise and call it the San Jose Gooses? No, because Gooses is not a word. It would be the San Jose Geese. Same applies for Leafs, it's just not a word and is incorrect grammar.

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Team morale is very low right now with the losing streak and all. To watch a teammate get cheapshotted and everyone stand by and not do anything will contribute to the low team morale. I understand that the game was in the balance, but there is a bigger picture here and that is, how far are you willing to go to protect your teammate.

We are lucky that Logan's knee was not destroyed, but suppose that it was and he was out for an extended period of time. I know if I was Logan I would want my teammates to actually show that they were offended by what happened. You have to have each other's back. That's what promotes a team atmosphere. An atmosphere where you stand up for one another regardless of the game situation. If you disagree then it's just a difference in team philosophy between you and I. I just think that with the Sharks floundering and the emphasis that has recently been put on lack of effort and playing hard for one another, this was a great chance for some teammates to show that they were indeed angered by what happened. It was an opportunity to show that, "hey, Logan, I saw what happened and I'm pissed. I'm going to go and play the body back on these Leafs and up the physicality level".

Again, I never asked for the Sharks to take a cheap run at any Leaf player. That's dirty and there's no place in the game for that, but finishing checks and even post whistle roughness is just fine. It at least shows that the hit triggered a response in the Sharks' play. The aggression doesn't even have to be directed towards Orr (since he never played another shift). It can be directed at any Leaf player.

What happens if Orr makes the hit on Logan, then on the next few shifts, three different Sharks finish their checks on Kessel? Orr will take notice and know that if he messes with any Shark player, their skill players will receive the brunt of the consequence.

Great post and I completely agree. I would gladly sacrifice one game if what was gained out of it was a greater sense of true team identity and knowledge that they will take care of their own. You can build on that. Over the long haul that will be more benifical for them then 2 points, which they failed to get anways. So they might as well have tried to walk away with something positive. Instead, they lost the game, lost couture, and morale is worse then it was before. More fail to go with their fail sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that you wouldn't change it just to make it plural, but the name is wrong to begin with. The name of the franchise is Toronto Maple Leafs. That's wrong from the get go.

Would you start a franchise and call it the San Jose Gooses? No, because Gooses is not a word. It would be the San Jose Geese. Same applies for Leafs, it's just not a word and is incorrect grammar.

Maple Leafs are named after a WWI military regiment. Each individual of that unit was refered to as a "Leaf", singular. The unit as a hole was called the "Maple Leafs", plural. Same applies to the hockey franchise.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maple Leafs are named after a WWI military regiment. Each individual of that unit was refered to as a "Leaf", singular. The unit as a hole was called the "Maple Leafs", plural. Same applies to the hockey franchise.

Got it. When you first stated that it was a proper noun, I thought you meant that the proper noun was the Toronto Maple Leaf, the hockey player, in which case I would say the hockey franchise got it wrong. But if the proper noun is the WWI unit personnel, with the hockey franchise adopting that name, then it's appropriate since Leaf is a proper noun representing a military person.

I just thought that the franchise was named after the actual maple leaf that is used to make pancake syrup in which case it wouldn't be a proper noun until the hockey franchise made it one.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. When you first stated that it was a proper noun, I thought you meant that the proper noun was the Toronto Maple Leaf, the hockey player, in which case I would say the hockey franchise got it wrong. But if the proper noun is the WWI unit personnel, with the hockey franchise adopting that name, then it's appropriate since Leaf is a proper noun representing a military person.

I just thought that the franchise was named after the actual maple leaf that is used to make pancake syrup in which case it wouldn't be a proper noun until the hockey franchise made it one.

Still a stupid name no matter how you spell it.