• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agents galore

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys all make too much money. I don't know of any other occupation where budgets always go up...well, other than our government. They both are afflicted with the same residual impacts- separation from the rest of the working world, and an inflated sense of entitlement. At some point, there is always a point of no more.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta wonder if there really is a time when there isn't enough money.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com is reporting the Reds have signed switch hitting catcher Brayan Pena to two year deal. There are rumors the Rays are interested in Ryan Hanigan. Interesting if true, gotta love switch hitting catchers.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com is reporting the Reds have signed switch hitting catcher Brayan Pena to two year deal. There are rumors the Rays are interested in Ryan Hanigan. Interesting if true, gotta love switch hitting catchers.

Yeah we had one ... Dioner Navarro ... let him walk.
Hanigan is probably gone because the Reds won't keep 3 catchers, though I think it would not be a bad idea. Pena sucks defensively but he will catch Chapman probably ... and he's apparently an OK hitter. He could probably play backup 1B ... which would be an upgrade over Hannahan. Most catchers can play 1B after a dozen throws.

But try to move past the rumors on this ... scribes look at who's out there, who needs a player and immediately connect the dots, invent a source and a fake quote ... next thing, it's part of the common culture.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanigan has been a solid catcher over his career with the Reds. But he had a bad year at the plate. Most of it was do to injury I think. He won't be hard to trade. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite us on the ass.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanigan has been a solid catcher over his career with the Reds. But he had a bad year at the plate. Most of it was do to injury I think. He won't be hard to trade. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite us on the ass.

A year ago, the Reds 3rd-best catcher was Corky Miller after Mig Olivo didn't make the team and Dinosaur Navarro bolted for free agency.

This year, so far, the 3rd-best guy is Pena. If they deal Hanigan, the 3rd-best guy is Tucker Barnhart, who needs at least a year in AAA just to be a backup.

Dealing catchers from a position of strength is almost always a mistake, because very few teams can deal that position from strength. Catching is always one jammed thumb away from Corky Miller. Question is: How do you keep 3 MLB-quality catchers? You don't unless Pena can make the team as a PH and backup first baseman. I would hope the Reds see this value. His value to helping Chapman has been cited as a positive. (Personal catcher? Thoughts on that later.)

So you have to keep the best you have and hope the backups are OK at Lousyville. Corky Miller apparently wants a new AAA team, which is amazing to me. He isn't retiring. He's a free agent. Not the same thing.

Hanigan is ripped as being a bad hitter by the sabrmetrics, who chicken-shit out and say he's the 2nd-best OBP guy the team has. He doesn't strike out, but he can't hit (or didn't with that bad thumb) and it's obviously time for Mesoraco to step up and be a top draft pick. Dusty screwed that up, royally.

The days of the personal catcher went out when Bronson neglected to sign ... and I'd say, 'hasta la pasta' to Hanigan. What's he worth? I'd gamble on prospects instead of roster talent.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As well, new rumors (useless generally) about Phillips being interested (are are being tempted by) the Dodgers again. Everyone and his cousin seems to look at rosters and decide whether Phillips ought to go there. The LaLa situation is obvious for the scribes who think Ellis sucks and Phillips would LOVE to go there. That fits, the scribes contend, because the Dodgers have 4 really great outfielders and need to trade one of them.

Most of that is scribal bullshit.

My opinion: The Reds don't need to unload their talent for another left fielder. They can keep screwing around signing platoon guys cheap and hope for some Gomes in a bottle. Looking at the list, the guy who pops up is Reed Johnson. Is he better than the other 34 guys we've had in left field in the last 5 years? No ... but he's no worse than Ludwick, Heisey, Robinson, Paul, three of the Beatles, and the Salvation Army band that's tried to catch a ball there.

The trick is whether we can find a BAT to play left field. That's not going to come by trading Brandon Phillips, because we trade one bat for another. Unless anyone thinks Henry Rodriguez is a better hitter than Derek Robinson.

Weigh the values here. The scribes love these "wow, the Dodgers could use ..." because "they have this extra guy in left field."

And I don't think Andre Ethier is an upgrade over Chris Heisey.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Pena says two things to me: Mesoraco is going to play more and Pena cost half as much as Hanigan does to play back-up. I'd agree Hanny isn't bringing anymore than a mid to low level prospect unless he's traded in a package deal with whomever.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think LF is at the top of Walt's list. He's still got his guy Ludwick owed $8.5M with a deferred buyout in 2015. I can't see any team taking that contract off his hands, thus Luddy will be in LF hitting .250 and hoping the ball isn't hit his way.

I can't see the Reds trading Phillips to LA for any one of the many over priced OF's they'd like to unload. I think the team is looking to unload payroll to free up some cash and try to improve the overall roster with a few inexpensive upgrades that will not grow the payroll much over the 2013 record payroll.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds aren't that badly broken, IMO. I have asserted that a hitting instructor and a better hitting philosophy could add 3 wins a month ... and that's 18 games a year that could be won -- with the existing order in place.

Existing, meaning ... having Choo or an equivalent in the leadoff spot.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanigan is at the age where injuries start closing down moderate skills. The Phillips issue is an unfortunate timing bummer, but one that may have to be dealt with, not that the Reds have to give him away though.

Ludwick was a mistake for the money.

Any bat can play LF, but 2b and CF is harder. The Reds can gamble on Hamilton at either spot defensively, but he can't hit with either Choo or Phillips, and Ryan Ludwick isn't going to make up the difference. This team trading Phillips, and not replacing his bat is going to be a problem...frankly, leaving BP as a .260 hitter with 7 hitter OBP and 2 hitter power, in the middle of the lineup is also a problem.

It might make more sense to trade Phillips to a team like the Angels for a power hitter like Trumbo, toss in a prospect and play Trumbo at 3b or LF (Frazier taking the other position), and let BP go dissapoint elsewhere. The problem is most teams that could use Phillips, don't have much the Reds need in return. He's also a clubhouse problem teams aren't going to leap to invite in. BP might just have to play out what he signed up for.

On another note, the Cardinals succumbed to my theory that it's practically impossible to win a WS without a LHSP. Only 5 of the last 51 Series winners have do e it without a LHSP. If the Reds can find a lineup, they'll also need to reconsider Chapman and/or Cingrani as starters, if they have any sense at all, and IMO, Price does.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might make more sense to trade Phillips to a team like the Angels for a power hitter like Trumbo, toss in a prospect and play Trumbo at 3b or LF (Frazier taking the other position), and let BP go dissapoint elsewhere.

I buy this deal IF the upgrade in LF turns that into a real hitter's position instead of a combined group effort of 18 HR and 377 strikeouts. If Trumbo would come aboard, I'd sacrifice the offense at 2B.

But I can't sacrifice it at BOTH positions. The question is whether Henry Rodriguez is better than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir that's been in LF since Dunn left.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Henry Rodriguez as organizational depth at a utility spot, and if he gets more than 150 at bats, we're not going to like him much. That role is more Hannahan than Phillips. The Reds have lots of those guys... to be honest, I'm still worried Todd Frazier isn't much more than those guys- a platoon player that can play 3b,1b, LF or an inning at 2b in a pinch. I have a hard time trying to believe he's going to hit more than .240-.250 or 15-18 HR a year...and a tougher time trying to see him in an impact lineup spot on a championship caliber team. I love his attitude, but unless he hits a lot more, I see him as a Met, not a Red.

Hamilton is a guy they are going to have to try, and I like him in CF because he can't make 30 errors there. Phillips is an outstanding 2b that isn't going to be replaced, and though he isn't a great hitter, he's still one of the top 4 Reds. That is also a problem if BP is dealt...trading him for worse D and worse O isn't a way to improve the record. LA's OF is grossly overpaid, and appear up be on the breakdown side of PED use...Puig is a poster boy for juicers too, but he's young...the rest, aren't. I'd rather have a big stick 4 hitter that will get 550 at bats, like a Trumbo, than any of the LA DL frequent fliers.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hoping one of the young farmhands- Yorman Rodriguez, Juan Duran, Donald Lutz, etc.. might mature into a better than we currently have OF. It seems like our minor league infielders all turn out to be 6th outfielders or the next .180 hitting utility infielder. Catchers that can actually catch are rare, ones that can actually hit too, are almost uncontainable. This team needs real offense from more than just 1b and RF...LF and 3b just have to hit more than they have, even if BP stays and keeps hitting the way he has..without him, even if Hamilton hits .250 and steals 100 bases, it doesn't come close to equalling Choo and Phillips production. I don't care how good the pitching is, especially in a small park like GABP, you just gotta have more than 2 hitters if you want to win.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...which brings up a question- where are the Reds minor league position players that really have a chance to be starting MLB players ? Are there any above single-A ? I don't know that. Not that many years ago, the Reds farm ranked in the last quarter of MLB teams... then a few years, predominantly pitchers, raised them up a few notches. Bruce was fine, Stubbs, not so much. Jury is still out on Frazier and Cozart, Hamilton may be the top near MLB prospect, but he has a few questions too. Alonzo and Grandal may not be All-Stars, but they were highly ranked, and although theyre gone now, their relative value might actually have went down lately...makes me wonder what is real talent currently in the system, what's left, and what can be counted on down the road.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...which brings up a question- where are the Reds minor league position players that really have a chance to be starting MLB players ? Are there any above single-A ? I don't know that. Not that many years ago, the Reds farm ranked in the last quarter of MLB teams... then a few years, predominantly pitchers, raised them up a few notches. Bruce was fine, Stubbs, not so much. Jury is still out on Frazier and Cozart, Hamilton may be the top near MLB prospect, but he has a few questions too. Alonzo and Grandal may not be All-Stars, but they were highly ranked, and although theyre gone now, their relative value might actually have went down lately...makes me wonder what is real talent currently in the system, what's left, and what can be counted on down the road.

Seems like most of the prospect talent hasn't been drafted yet.
There is pitching, apparently, with Stephenson on the next trip to AAA.
Corcino was supposed to be a pitcher. Not sure now.
Barnhart is a fair catcher, I'm told.
Otherwise, yeah ... it's Nefi Soto, Geovany Soto, Dee Soto and Mario Soto, not in that order.

What I would LIKE to see is a wholestaff approach to pitching, quit screwing around with roles ... meaning it's OK if your closer (the best lefty and maybe the best pitcher on the team, period) doesn't sit around for 13 days rusting away while the rest of the pitching staff implodes. It's really OK to not lock yourself into a pitching system that begs itself to fail.

And it would be nice if the offense could score 3 runs in the first inning every so often so that a pitcher who doesn't have his great stuff can get up to 120 pitches before we turn the game over to the wholestaff bullpen.

Bullpens have to be the team's 6th starter. What we've seen is pitchers told to pitch in roles and when that breaks down, the whining begins about how LeCure had to pitch the 8th inning instead of the 6th, and Parra had to pitch to 2 righthanders in a row because Marshall was injured. Frankly, I could not believe I was hearing that fuckin' excuse last year -- how pitchers were pitching outside their roles.

Jeezus -- here's the damned ball. Locate the catcher and go from there.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Dusty wasn't very good at assigning logical roles. In many cases, he just picked a guy and told him to be whatever he needed at the moment- reference any 2 hitter not named Phillips. Jocketty isn't blameless, but when he signs Broxton to a $21M deal to close, and tells Dusty to start Chapman in spring training, and opening day, AC is the closer, someone missed a page of the playbook.

The bottom line is the Reds had enough talent the last 3 years to do better than zero playoff series wins. I blame Dusty as the biggest fritterer of that opportunity. I also believe that I could have spent $13M and gotten a better LF than Ludwick for a single season of production, assuming he will give us that season next year...not holding my breath there.

Asking for offense from a SS and a catcher and feigning dissapointment in Votto, and saying BP had a great year because he had 100 RBI, proves the offensive perspective has been at best, convoluted.

This team needs to go back to school offensively. Seeing a few pitches and targeting getting runners on is a good start, but getting them in scoring position with less than 2 outs is just as important on a team with only 1 player likely to hit 30 HR. you know the easiest way to get a guy to 2b without risk of making an out (besides a double ) ? Having Hamilton steal. Here's the run- Cozart isn't any more likely to accomplish that than if his mother was at 2b, if he's trying to pull the breaking ball down the LF line. The team needs a hitting coach, or to watch film on Joey Votto in a coaches absence. It wasn't Votto's knee or his anxiety or his high walk rate that kept him from 100RBI, it was the .227 hitter NOT on base in front of him.

This team needs to put the ball in play more, walk more, strike out less, steal some bases, hit behind the runner, and use the middle of the field...stop trying to guess, grip it and rip it. It's a fact that teams that out homer the opponent win more games, but that requires players with power. If Walt can't come up with a few more of those, better learn to score another way. Dusty wouldn't do that. Dusty is gone. I hope the roster isn't finished yet, but I hope better offensive sense prevails when it is.

Small markets need the farm more than checkbook heavy teams do. Better start scouting. Might want to beef up the minor league instruction and stop graduating .250 fastball only hitters with a 4:1 K:BB ratio...and stop spending $10M on $3M platoon LF's.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Choo and Boras are looking at contract above $100M- placing him out of reach for our Reds I suspect. Nothing yet on the Phillips broohahaha, so it might be a case of "careful what you ask for, sonetimes to get it...and have to live with it". I don't know what Nelson Cruz wants, or will get, but sounds like Rangers aren't listening...outside chance he might sign for a short term low 7 figure 1-2 year deal ? Wishful thinking probably.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed Johnson is available.

It wasn't Votto's knee or his anxiety or his high walk rate that kept him from 100RBI, it was the .227 hitter NOT on base in front of him.

That, random variety (RISP stats fluctuate), and Votto being pitched around.