• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

For which Bronco this year ... ?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DRC is the major one that I think could be the biggest game changer for this defense this year. Larry Fitzgerald called him the most athletic player he has ever played against. The guy has all the talent in the world. If our coaching staff can actually coach him along to maximize that talent the dude could end up being a top 5 corner this season. I agree with above he could be in that 7-8 interception range with his ball skills and speed. He could really be that missing piece for this defense to really handle those elite speedsters (Smith) that killed us.

On offense I actually am excited to see Vasquez. The games we struggled the most in were teams that had elite talent up the middle (Baltimore, New England, and Houston). He could be the guy that helps neutralize some of that pressure up the middle giving Manning the little more time to find our elite receiving core.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Vasquez addition...hopefully he also a good run blker too because D really needs to be better, no much better in the runing game this year, especially in short yardage situations. Will be fun to watch rb roster battle and keep an eye on Cal rookie Anderson to impress in pre-season and make roster.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Vasquez addition...hopefully he also a good run blker too because D really needs to be better, no much better in the runing game this year, especially in short yardage situations. Will be fun to watch rb roster battle and keep an eye on Cal rookie Anderson to impress in pre-season and make roster.

We actually finished in the top 3rd in the NFL in short yardage runs for 1st downs so I don't know how much better than can really get. For me I see Vasquez having greater importance in the passing game. In those first 5 games and in the playoff game that RG spot just struggled against the good inside DL players. Manning has been known as a quarterback that if you can pressure him up the middle he will struggle some so hopefully this takes care of the Ngata's, JJ Watt's, and Wilfork's of the NFL.

Now when it does come to running I think Welker will be one of the biggest additions in helping with the short yardage runs. I'm hoping the Broncos keep the 3 wide set for those short yardage situations so defenses that decide to load the box Manning can just do a quick toss to Welker or the ones that spread out Manning can just hand it off up the middle. Welker didn't score a ton of touchdowns in his career with New England but he was a 1st down machine. Vasquez will help some but he is not known for being a great run blocker at least compared to his pass blocking ability.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you find that stat cd? Seriously. I`ve looked all over and find that hard to believe. Also, how about 3rd and short? Can you dig up that stat for me? All I know is they finished 16th overall in rushing avg per gm and had a 3.8 yd avg per gm. Only 5 teams had a worse avg than them in NFL. I see they were ranked 2nd in 3rd down efficencey but how many of those were through the air and how many on the ground. I d love to see seriously and know you`ll straighten me out `ol buddy:)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you find that stat cd? Seriously. I`ve looked all over and find that hard to believe. Also, how about 3rd and short? Can you dig up that stat for me? All I know is they finished 16th overall in rushing avg per gm and had a 3.8 yd avg per gm. Only 5 teams had a worse avg than them in NFL. I see they were ranked 2nd in 3rd down efficencey but how many of those were through the air and how many on the ground. I d love to see seriously and know you`ll straighten me out `ol buddy:)

Well I found the stat on Football Outsiders where they were grading the OL play. We might have only averaged 3.8 yards per carry but where and how those yards were used can make all the difference. At this time the Broncos ranked 9th in 3rd down carries (also includes carries at the goal line with 2 yards or less to go) of 2 yards or less with a 67% success rate. We actually ended up a hair better than San Francisco in this category running the football.

The OL itself graded out as the 12th best in run blocking. That should show then how bad our running backs last year actually were. Yards after contact and open field yards our running backs ranked 25th in the league.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! I stand humbled again. 67% is rather high indeed. Come on Ball!!! Thanks buddy, I knew the odds were more in your favor at which one would stand corrected:) Good Job. Now I can find something else I have no idea what I`am talking about. I`ll gat back to ya:)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha no problem Randymon. I always enjoy our conversations. I do agree that our running needs to improve but my thought is more geared towards 1st down running and 4th quarter running. This is where I am hoping Ball can really be that guy that we have been missing. The biggest question is can you as a team still run when the defense knows you are going to run? The answer to that last year was no most of the time. I do agree some of that is OL and I am hoping the addition of Vasquez can help secure some of that plus some of the coaching staff added this off season to get the Broncos back a little more to the old style during our Superbowl years should help as well. Ball though can be the biggest help to that as he is perfect for the 1 cut and run downfield style of play that I do think the Broncos are wanting to run. He will not get the long runs but if he can get that 5-6 yards on 1st down compared to the 3-4 that we had last year that can definitely mean all the difference in those close games.

Also the Broncos need Walton to come back at some point this season. Koppen did fine as his replacement but he graded out as below average where in the 5 games that Walton played in he graded out as a top 10 Center in the league. Hopefully he can get healthy at some point in this season and be eased back into game form before the playoffs.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.:agree: Denvers lack of push up the middle has been a killer ( although I did see some improvement at times last yr) so those additions to the front 7 and gained expiereience by Wolfe,Ayers,etc should improve that much needed element to the succsess of the D this yr. Getting closer and closer to first pre-season game:suds:

From everything I have read, this is not accurate Randymon, in fact Miller said that numerous times him and Dumervil were getting to the QB literally a split second faster than Wolfe on numerous plays last year. You also have to consider what the D Line was asked to due last year in that most of the time they were asked to play the run first and engage blockers. Once they were sure that the play was a pass, they were freed to try and make a play for the QB. That is not a way to get much push up the middle or pass rush at all as it eats up those valuable few seconds that pass rushers have to get to the QB. For example both Brady and Manning are releasing the football on average in under 3 secs, if it takes a DT 1.5 secs to realize it is a pass play, he know only has on average a little over a second or so to reach the QB.

In saying that though, I am excited to see what a DL of Miller/Williams/Wolfe/Phillips or Smith will be able to accomplish on obvious passing downs.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In saying that though, I am excited to see what a DL of Miller/Williams/Wolfe/Phillips or Smith will be able to accomplish on obvious passing downs.

Definitely arousing ... speaking of which, you gonna sport your old espn av, BtD?

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely arousing ... speaking of which, you gonna sport your old espn av, BtD?

Yes and it is on my profile page, just put this one up when Jason made his glorious spooge onto this site.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Williams will be interesting to watch (when he finally reports). He is a couple of years older than the average rookie and should have more of an NFL body than your typical rookie. He could make an even bigger impact his rookie year than did Wolfe. Especially since Wolfe has kinda taken him under his wing and has pointed him in the right direction. And yes, I am finally excited about our DT's!!! 2 high draft picks in 2 years!!! I am elated and sportin wood atm.

Disclaimer: For those who do not know, I have been crying for Denver to draft DT talent with high draft picks for roughly the past 10 years. F U Shanahan and MiniHoodie!!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams will be interesting to watch (when he finally reports). He is a couple of years older than the average rookie and should have more of an NFL body than your typical rookie. He could make an even bigger impact his rookie year than did Wolfe. Especially since Wolfe has kinda taken him under his wing and has pointed him in the right direction. And yes, I am finally excited about our DT's!!! 2 high draft picks in 2 years!!! I am elated and sportin wood atm.

Disclaimer: For those who do not know, I have been crying for Denver to draft DT talent with high draft picks for roughly the past 10 years. F U Shanahan and MiniHoodie!!!

Haha I don't think you are alone in trying to push that rock up that mountain. For the most part over the last couple of years we have had decent run stopping DT's but nothing even remotely close to a pass rush or even the ability to collapse the pocket. Very excited for this season to see Williams and Wolfe not only working beside each other but competing against one another to see who is the best. To be honest I kind of like Wolfe's upside more than Williams as Wolfe truly has that non-stop motor that you rarely see in DT's. Hopefully this pairing in a couple of years can be regarded as one of the top 5 DT tandems in the NFL.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and it is on my profile page, just put this one up when Jason made his glorious spooge onto this site.

LOL Good point.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Williams play. Hope he reminds of us a young Trevor Pryce. Haven't had a dominant DT in ages.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have not seen Sly Williams on ESPN's "Sports Science".....search it on YouTube. I can't wait to see this guy push the pocket up the middle.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to what our pass rush will look like this season! Interior pressure is Brady's Achilles heel, and can be very disruptive to most offenses in general. I think in the end we'll get the better end of the losing Dumervil deal.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I don't think you are alone in trying to push that rock up that mountain. For the most part over the last couple of years we have had decent run stopping DT's but nothing even remotely close to a pass rush or even the ability to collapse the pocket. Very excited for this season to see Williams and Wolfe not only working beside each other but competing against one another to see who is the best. To be honest I kind of like Wolfe's upside more than Williams as Wolfe truly has that non-stop motor that you rarely see in DT's. Hopefully this pairing in a couple of years can be regarded as one of the top 5 DT tandems in the NFL.

Wolfe is my favorite still and yes, love that motor, but I am going to give Williams a chance. If he comes out and just causes havoc and mayhem I could become a flip flopper and be unable to decide which one I have more of a man crush on.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to what our pass rush will look like this season! Interior pressure is Brady's Achilles heel, and can be very disruptive to most offenses in general. I think in the end we'll get the better end of the losing Dumervil deal.

Agreed on both accounts Walker, especially on Dumervil, the more I thought about the whole fax thing, the more I remembered how upset that they gave him that contract in the first place. He was even more one dimensional at that period of time and the move to OLB did help him with pass rushing (at DE he gets completely swallowed up when double teamed or facing good OT's) and I believe he is more suited to that position, no matter what he says. Him going to the Ravens was not a bad thing, nor did I feel any ill feelings towards him when he decided to go there. It is just a better fit for him and the Broncos can move on from him. Oh, I am also a closet Robert Ayers fan and if he had not been miscast in his rookie year and the next, he could have developed a lot quicker as a DE. At least, that is my belief.