• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First-Pick mock draft site

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talent came from Whaley too.

Bottom line, which you refuse to look at, is we have an excellent core, money for more and a good coach. We're all aware it rests on EJ, but whining about the first round pick is getting old. Watkins is an excellent football player. This isn't the Losman debacle.

I await your apology when you see guys like Miller, Darby and O'Leary play. Until then, go fondle Kiper's balls all you want. Our "draft grade" is likely a result of only picking the selections we had, not increasing our picks...but our team is loaded with depth and we did not need quantity.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our "draft grade" is likely a result of only picking the selections we had, not increasing our picks...but our team is loaded with depth and we did not need quantity.

You answered my question. I was a little surprised that the Bills did not make some DD trades and obtain additional picks. I was wondering "if you are just going to pick the highest rated player on your board regardless of positional need, then why not trade back spots and get 2 players?". But you provided the answer above.

The Bills need a topflight quarterback. They wre not going to get one in this draft, and time will tell if any of the QBs this year will pan out to be elite. Seems doubtful. So I understand the draft approach taken.

I dont think it would have been the worst thing in the world to trade some of this year's picks for higher round picks next year. :noidea:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, grading a draft before a single rookie even sets foot in camp isn't worth much.

Mel is only grading the draft per his perception of the Bills' needs and his rankings, so it's a self-serving grade. How many picks did he get right after the first couple? Any? How many 1st round draftees did he even forecast in the 1st round?

The Bills draft was definitely nothing special, and was largely guys that will be learning to make an impact down the line, with the possible exceptions of O'Leary and Miller, which filled 2 of the larger needs on the roster.

Who did you want him to draft that didn't happen? Position and/or player?

Hightower23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft grades before training camp, nevermind the season starting is ridiculous. It may be the case that this draft doesn't pan out, the Bills could also hit on most picks you cannot tell just now.

The Bills are pretty stacked across the team, QB is the only real worry for me (like everyone else). The team can challenge this year but ultimately won't make the playoffs. The Jets and Dolphins are stronger and the Pats are the team to be beat still.

Darby is a good pick, elite speed and good cover CB, NFL is a passing league so can't have enough good CB's.
Miller should help run game but needs to improve pass protection, rotational G at best.
Williams is not a pick I am overly fond of but we will see how he is to be utilized soon enough.
Steward big LB recruit out of HS but sure he has had 2 ACL injuries, more than likely just rotation and special teams.
O'Leary could offer something but I will wait on him and Lewis, late round picks I do not believe offer much until they have been in camp.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking into L'ael Collins. ....definite steal if he comes on board as a UFA.

Bad drafts are sometimes caused by great off seasons. We added a lot this year, have room to extend one of our best defenders, and since there was nothing we could have done about QB anyway.

If we, say, didn't pick Darby because we traded the pick and then some to get Cutler or something stupid like that, then we could talk about stupidity.... but I'll just be happy we didn't, let alone fall for the Petty/Hundley hype.

Hightower23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Collins, think he goes elsewhere though. I am glad they didn't fall for the Petty/Hundley hype either, I wasn't sold on either of them.

I was a believer in years gone by of 2nd/3rd rounders like Kaep or Wilson. They had that "something" about them, none of this years guys do. Hundley could be the best of the bunch but needs development and a lot of it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Collins, think he goes elsewhere though. I am glad they didn't fall for the Petty/Hundley hype either, I wasn't sold on either of them.

I was a believer in years gone by of 2nd/3rd rounders like Kaep or Wilson. They had that "something" about them, none of this years guys do. Hundley could be the best of the bunch but needs development and a lot of it.

That's the thing; if Petty/Hundley were going to need 1-2 years of development, why not wait until next year and get a better prospect in the 1st or 2nd round? I still would've liked the Bills to bring in someone as a UDFA for camp (like Chris Bonner, who has a tryout with the Panthers).

Hightower23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potentially 4 QB's who could have 1st-2nd round grades next year and I like 3 of them for the Bills. I would rather wait and see how EJ and the rest play out this year and if need be trade a lot to move up and grab a QB next year.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talent came from Whaley too.

Bottom line, which you refuse to look at, is we have an excellent core, money for more and a good coach. We're all aware it rests on EJ, but whining about the first round pick is getting old. Watkins is an excellent football player. This isn't the Losman debacle.

I await your apology when you see guys like Miller, Darby and O'Leary play. Until then, go fondle Kiper's balls all you want. Our "draft grade" is likely a result of only picking the selections we had, not increasing our picks...but our team is loaded with depth and we did not need quantity.

I don't refuse to look at that...I've posted many times about the great talent the Bills have. I also commended them for spending money and hiring Ryan. I've also stated Watkins looks like a great WR (which doesn't negate my point on the draft). So, there's three things that aren't accurate.

This isn't the Losman debacle, but it's in the same genre.

Also, good offseasons do not "Cause" bad drafts. That just makes no sense. You can and should always have a good draft. Good offseasons can sometimes mask terrible drafting.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. You posted how much talent the Bills have, but claim they have the worst GM's. Forgive me for reading in between the lines. Watkins and Losman are not the same genre...not even close. And yes, a good offseason leaves little need in a draft with no 1st or 4th round picks.

Anything else?

...you keep crying about a first round pick where there was nobody to make an impact for us this year. So who are you crying about?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bored at work, lol...

Your score is: 5410 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 25 (CAR): Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M (B+)
Round 3 Pick 17: Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor (A-)
Round 3 Pick 24 (DET): Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB/DE, Washington (B)
Round 3 Pick 25 (CAR): John Miller, OG, Louisville (B+)
Round 5 Pick 19: Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State (A)
Round 6 Pick 12: Derrick Lott, DT, Chattanooga (A-)
Round 6 Pick 18: Greg Mancz, C, Toledo (D)
Round 7 Pick 17: Jeff Luc, ILB, Cincinnati (A-)

Traded down twice in the 2nd, picked up 2 3rd rounders.

Got two names right on this one, lol.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These picks make sense if you dig a little deeper. Darby gets a year to learn, then next year Brooks, Robey, Butler, and Rambo are all free agents. McKelvin and Gilmore are free agents the year after.

Miller is the road-grating G the Bills have needed.

O'Leary is the 2nd TE needed for Roman's offense.

Karlos Williams is bit tougher, but he has elite athleticism; maybe they move him back to safety?

Steward is a tougher pick to make sense of. He was an elite OLB prospect out of high school, but 2 ACL injuries have slowed him a bit. He should still be a solid special teams contributor at worst, and can contribute depth at LB as well.

Dezmin Lewis is a solid WR prospect on the taller size. I was surprised he lasted to the 7th round, and should be a nice developmental WR that at least gives the Bills some size and a red zone threat at the position.

What didn't they get that you were expecting? A QB maybe, but as you can see nobody seems to like these QBs much beyond the top 2.

More info on Darby: he was the least targeted CB per every ten pass plays in the nation last year.

Hightower23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let it play out, see who if any are worthy picks. An idea I had after reading some reports, the Bills maybe could consider trading Cassel for either Glennon or Mettenberger?

The reason I suggest this is both the titans and bucs have drafted QB's and surely sitting next to a vet over another young QB who likely isn't going to play would be more beneficial. Helps both bills and either titans or bucs out.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let it play out, see who if any are worthy picks. An idea I had after reading some reports, the Bills maybe could consider trading Cassel for either Glennon or Mettenberger?

The reason I suggest this is both the titans and bucs have drafted QB's and surely sitting next to a vet over another young QB who likely isn't going to play would be more beneficial. Helps both bills and either titans or bucs out.

Not sure how it helps the Bills though, as that is the exact reason they brought in Cassel; to be the reliable vet in case the young QB flakes out.

Bills can draft their future QB next year (if/when Manuel fails to impress, of course).

Hightower23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both have more upside than Cassel and to be honest I think they could be just as effective if not even more so.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both have more upside than Cassel and to be honest I think they could be just as effective if not even more so.

OK, then why would the other team make the trade?

Hightower23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston & Mariota are the future maybe even the now. They would be better served learning from an experienced vet who has started rather than another young QB who needs to play and develop.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Bills get one of the four games Brady is suspended. That is def good news. Gotta win that one.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 2. So even if the suspension gets knocked to two games, we still get Garopollo. Yes, we better take that one!

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good signing of John Conner, FB. Hasta la vista baby! One thing is for sure, we should be able to run the ball this year.

Still waiting for Brandon Spikes to sign the dotted line....