• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ferentz - top 5 worst coaches

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Bum....

Iowa wrestling has done pretty well over the years. Iowa men's basketball has had a rough stretch, but seems to have a pretty good history going. I wonder what your position is on the recruiting accolades of other B1G institutions: Michigan, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Penn St, Nebraska, and the rest. All recruit kids to play...and have open air stadiums to play in.

I'm wanted to check with you on a point. You indicated it was tough to drive to Iowa's Freedom Bowl because you were 14 at the time. So, I'm inferring here, you drove to the '83 Gator Bowl when you were 13 years old? The horse-and-buggy era doesn't count....

All big 10 schools have been getting their ass kicked in recruiting for football for over the last 20 years compared to the 70, 80s and 90s....Texas, FLA and Cal recruits can stay closer to home, be seen by family and friends at games, warmer during the non football season to have more fun...its not a hidden secret that hasn't been said for the last 20 years....Neb, Mich, Iowa, O State, Penn st, Wisc have taken more chances with running QBs and 2 or 3 star throwing QB recruits than the bigger named schools...just look at every QB drafted in the last 20 years and what school he attended....what Brady and Brees are the best two NFL QB's from the big 10 in the last 20 years...both were from warm climates and not the top recruits of that year...the big 10 got 2nd choice with brady...Brady from not going to MLB and 1st choice from a weak recruited Brees a "B" team QB in high school....the big 10 doesn't get the best recruits as an entire conference...

funny, shocker you would get confussed...I was 13 for the Gator Bowl...we flew from Omaha to Tampa Bay where my grandfather lived and since we were hawkeye fans my dad wanted to go to the game and we took my grandfather.

Iowa has a great, actually the best, wrestling program, yes...how many are in CAL, TEX and FLA? and even they had a "rough stretch" for them when Gable resigned until Brands took over and talked Gable back. Sorta asking why Hockey teams aren't in southern schools also...I actually didn't know this til about 5 years ago...went to an Iowa vs KU hockey game...Iowa actually has a non sanctioned hockey team.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
baseball and football will continue to thrive in warmer climates...basketball netral...Hockey north...wrestling is actually growing in the south, expecially since Gable left coaching full time...his departure actually changed the dynamic of college wrestling almost as much as it did when he entered it.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it wasn't til Bums showed up in her girly pants, but you have to admit she is funny getting all pissy cause Hoops and I do not think cold and snow is a deterrent, still, she is going to a whole new level, apparently she liked the 90's a lot, am guessing not only the decade but the women that age as well...she's funny, she's a coach, she's not in Kansas and she wears Gables used dirty laundry, and she knows a kid who got a 14 on his ACT who ended up recruited by Bill Snyder...come on, it was Colin Klein wasn't it, or Josh Freeman? or just some bench warmer, who knows, but cause she coached him we should bow down...

this guy is Jesus lesser known little brother don't you know?

nope, Paul Watson...just look up where he is from too...lol.that would be KCMO not Ks, lol..you really are this foolish aren't you...guess i'm "calling ya out, home boy", lol....calling me out...still freakin funny...you post idiot stuff after me...then you use "I know such and such", throw negatives on my post...and then try to twist it like you didn't start anything and its been me, lol..."play a victim Luceil"

tag team bros, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh great one, what more redundant knowledge that we haven't discussed 10 times already can you give us? oh and by Jesus, I meant the Mexican Jesus, not the Lord, just so you aren't confused

We all know about basketball and wrestling and such, it's great that you do too, hope Grandpa is proud of you, but oh wise and benevolent one with much knowledge that you presume we also don't have, what else can you produce that is already known?

btw Zalesky did put 3 trophies in the case during his tenure so not exactly a total rough stretch, I would actually consider where they are right now as a rough stretch trying to get into the top 3 (he still coaches you know, Oregon State, but oh wait, bet you knew that)

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude you realize we have been baiting you the whole time and you keep falling for it, your whole premise that Iowa is cold and snowy...seriously? Do you actually read any of the threads we have here? you came over about the same time as a lot of us so likely from CBS, but you have 3x the posts I have, but 95% of mine are all on Iowa threads where you just started...get some credibility first son...we have discussed all this ad nauseum before you ever mentioned it

It's cold and snowy in Iowa...wow, that's huge insight, thanks...you blew my mind there

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh great one, what more redundant knowledge that we haven't discussed 10 times already can you give us? oh and by Jesus, I meant the Mexican Jesus, not the Lord, just so you aren't confused

We all know about basketball and wrestling and such, it's great that you do too, hope Grandpa is proud of you, but oh wise and benevolent one with much knowledge that you presume we also don't have, what else can you produce that is already known?

btw Zalesky did put 3 trophies in the case during his tenure so not exactly a total rough stretch, I would actually consider where they are right now as a rough stretch trying to get into the top 3 (he still coaches you know, Oregon State, but oh wait, bet you knew that)

no kidding, he coaches....since you like funny true stories...how about this one that didn't see the paper....Zalesky was in a bar with other wrestling coaches after D1 nationals...in comes Ben Askrew, from Missouri, after he just won the NCAA title....Askrew was getting a buzz on and started popping off around the bar...Zalesky told him to shut up and enjoy it...Askrew said he was an old man and didn't couldn't beat him ever...in the bar, Zalesky said I could be you now and it wouldn't have to be in my prime...they squared off and Zalesky kicked his ass on the weekend Askrew won his title in a freakin bar...

But then again, you already new that....lets see if you can find out the right people to verify that one...because they are out there and plenty of them.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you would have to assume that I care about an ex Iowa coach beating a non Iowa wrestler in a bar fight first, yep I new that, or knew that, man coaches have no spelling and no grammar these days, run along ya bum, trolling time closes at 1:30 cst

again, you don't get the joke here do you, let me help you, go look in a mirror, the joke is you, bye now

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you would have to assume that I care about an ex Iowa coach beating a non Iowa wrestler in a bar fight first, yep I new that, or knew that, man coaches have no spelling and no grammar these days, run along ya bum, trolling time closes at 1:30 cst

again, you don't get the joke here do you, let me help you, go look in a mirror, the joke is you, bye now

Unlike your first post to me, I never "assume" anything, your proving the point of why not to.

lol, spelling police...thats the ticket...yeah...

got ya, your now saying it was all a joke, pretty funny one...Robin Williams appauds you...your creativity must astound people...must be funny at the cafe for the morning coffee when everyone will laugh at anything remotely funny out of boredom...

You stated nothing but garbage since the first post after mine...now claim its a joke...never heard that one before...lol..good luck with your jokes...and you will one of the ones who continue to keep the "what does IOWA stand for" joke alive and well...I will think of you ever time I hear it and chuckle a bit more, your "joke" will continue to make me laugh for years.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you were late on your last post, trolling time ended at 1:30...you misunderstand son, my rejoinders at your posts were not a joke, you are a joke, plain and simple, playing you like a violin there kid, you do not know how to comprehendo mas bueno I guess...your posts are silly and asinine, you want an apology for some reason, why? Cause you think recruits won't come to Iowa cause it is cold and snowy...I disagree and think you are a fool, apologize for disagreeing with you? nah

You are like every buffoon in every show or movie ever, you just don't catch on, you are Yosemite Sam and the Wile E Coyote rolled into one, you wear used sweatpants man, come on! Did you buy those or did Dan give them to you? If you bought them, where did you get them? A game used jersey you frame or something, well that makes sense, a pair of used sweatpants? Whooboy

Some one mentioned Nurse Ratchet, yep, we got the crazy going right here, named DaBums, likely doesn't know how Brooklyn got that nickname but he just likes to hearken back to the 90's, heck look at his avi, from the 90's...that's probably him. I feel like I am trying to talk to a Batman villian, only it's not the Joker, it's like the Joker's 4th cousin who didn't quite make it.

He flew from Omaha but yet lived in the Quad Cities, this guy is from all over, jumped out a window in a snow drift in Minnesota, I bet you were there when Alexandria burned and Genghis Khan conquered the Chin, right? You walked on the moon right?

Sheesh, I quit, last post on this thread, not going to look at it anymore there superstar, you are the good Lord's gift to humanity...every penguin in existence will bow down to you! You are Mr Popper.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you were late on your last post, trolling time ended at 1:30...you misunderstand son, my rejoinders at your posts were not a joke, you are a joke, plain and simple, playing you like a violin there kid, you do not know how to comprehendo mas bueno I guess...your posts are silly and asinine, you want an apology for some reason, why? Cause you think recruits won't come to Iowa cause it is cold and snowy...I disagree and think you are a fool, apologize for disagreeing with you? nah

You are like every buffoon in every show or movie ever, you just don't catch on, you are Yosemite Sam and the Wile E Coyote rolled into one, you wear used sweatpants man, come on! Did you buy those or did Dan give them to you? If you bought them, where did you get them? A game used jersey you frame or something, well that makes sense, a pair of used sweatpants? Whooboy

Some one mentioned Nurse Ratchet, yep, we got the crazy going right here, named DaBums, likely doesn't know how Brooklyn got that nickname but he just likes to hearken back to the 90's, heck look at his avi, from the 90's...that's probably him. I feel like I am trying to talk to a Batman villian, only it's not the Joker, it's like the Joker's 4th cousin who didn't quite make it.

He flew from Omaha but yet lived in the Quad Cities, this guy is from all over, jumped out a window in a snow drift in Minnesota, I bet you were there when Alexandria burned and Genghis Khan conquered the Chin, right? You walked on the moon right?

Sheesh, I quit, last post on this thread, not going to look at it anymore there superstar, you are the good Lord's gift to humanity...every penguin in existence will bow down to you! You are Mr Popper.

lol, yeah it sucked having a dad around, who actually worked, and for an airlines, your constant throw darts and stating them as facts...no wonder you disagreed with me, in your mind you have facts, lol...good luck...that can't admit your mistakes should do you well.

sorry your life was so boring..I can't help you there.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is both amusing and dumb at the same time.... Continue on gentlemen.

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no kidding, he coaches....since you like funny true stories...how about this one that didn't see the paper....Zalesky was in a bar with other wrestling coaches after D1 nationals...in comes Ben Askrew, from Missouri, after he just won the NCAA title....Askrew was getting a buzz on and started popping off around the bar...Zalesky told him to shut up and enjoy it...Askrew said he was an old man and didn't couldn't beat him ever...in the bar, Zalesky said I could be you now and it wouldn't have to be in my prime...they squared off and Zalesky kicked his ass on the weekend Askrew won his title in a freakin bar...

But then again, you already new that....lets see if you can find out the right people to verify that one...because they are out there and plenty of them.
PMFJI, but for clarification, it's Askren, not Askrew. And you make it sound like they got in a fight. My understanding is that they went a couple of takedowns and Jimmy took him down easily. Got this from my brother who was a 2 time NCAA wrestling champ for Iowa under Gable.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PMFJI, but for clarification, it's Askren, not Askrew. And you make it sound like they got in a fight. My understanding is that they went a couple of takedowns and Jimmy took him down easily. Got this from my brother who was a 2 time NCAA wrestling champ for Iowa under Gable.

your right on the spelling and yes they were takedowns...it wasn't a bar fight...If I did said that, I was wrong...

Nice call though...still a great story

nope that was Moron #2 who said "bar fight"..."wrestler in a bar fight first"...I said Ben got his ass kicked...which applies to take downs also...

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Bums,

The 70s, 80s, & 90s you are referring to - makes sense. That era of college football is anchored in the traditional powers of college football. If you were to add to those 30 years of football to the last twenty years (00s & 10s) you bring the conversation to the last 50 years of college football. And that still gets you to the traditional powers of college football getting the best players every year. New programs are doing well in the last 10 years and have taken in quality recruits. So, winning helps.

To compete at the championship level, the non-traditional powers had to change the way they recruited and played: 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust; the option; the vertical passing game, to the spread options/pistol formations. Sure, southern teams have won many national championships in the modern era. But in that time span, a few northern teams have won it all as well.

In the BCS era, a number of programs have won big without getting a chance to play for the national championship. How can Chris Petersen at Boise St win so many games in the cold and in the snow? Look up his win total. This season is the first season in his head coaching career where he hasn't won 10+ games. Impressive in its own right...but more impressive given the location of Boise State, Idaho.

KF at Iowa has proven that you can win big in a cold weather venue. When coaches win big, better recruits want to come to your school to continue that tradition. A number of factors have prevented northern schools from playing for the NCG. That only speaks to a problem in the 'voting' process that places two teams in the BCS NCG. I wonder if the BEST southern coaches took jobs in the north if the 4 and 5 star recruits would follow? Those coaches have the tradition of winning big.

My contention is that KF resurrected the Iowa program to the point where winning 9 games every year is easily attainable (and then a very nice January bowl game). That hasn't happened yet, but in the annals of Iowa football, KF has done an excellent job. I've been very critical of the KF program - but I understand what he has done for the University of Iowa. Knowing that he has won - and won big AT IOWA - I've gotten used to winning and expect it every year.

Winning brings in more talented players. Ohio St and Michigan seem to rank very high every year in the recruiting game...why is that exactly?

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, bums. You seem to have the inside scoop on all things Iowa. Were you wearing your Dan Gable used jumpsuit when you witnessed that AMAZING in-bar wrestling match???

BTW - I'm better at you at everything. Smarter. Better looking. I win.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, bums. You seem to have the inside scoop on all things Iowa. Were you wearing your Dan Gable used jumpsuit when you witnessed that AMAZING in-bar wrestling match???

BTW - I'm better at you at everything. Smarter. Better looking. I win.

I guarantee you are, bigger johnson also...not tough to do...and nope, didn't get the jumpsuit til they had the very large athletic department clean up and they were going through all the items and giving them away.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not going to quote you, too freakin big...

have some questions after reading it?

Michigan and Ohio State- how far are they from Detroit, Pittsburg, Philly, NYC, Chicago in miles?
Iowa- how far are they from the same areas in miles?

Which school would you choose if you grew up in any of those citys (lol, a joke with spelling citys) if you had only those 3 to choose from...if all 3 teams didn't even have a coach at the time?

Idaho - he might be a better recruiter? not many good football schools to go to around him in about 3 to 5 state areas...I do know the Unversity of Wyoming will beg players to come there....

I would have to look into it more..the Idaho guy...I have a better understanding of big 10 and big 12 teams...I really don't know much on the Idaho guy's recruits.