• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ferentz - top 5 worst coaches

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Id be hard pressed to call KF a top 5 worst coach. Now if you are speaking of top 5 worst value as a coach then I could see it since he is paid so effing much but any guy that has 4 top 8 finishes in his 14 years at Iowa cannot be a top 5 worst coach ( even if alot of that success came early)

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say he's THE worst game clock coach in the history of D1 football; however, I do not believe he's one of the worst 5 in the country, no. You could argue they meant worst in terms of his salary...not really sure how they could derive that. Regardless, their article discounts an 11-2 Orange Bowl season and says he's "only" 46-41 outside of that year. I don't know how you just throw out one of his best years...if that's the case, how about we throw out years 1 and 2 when he had all of Fry's leftovers?

And to add to that, the worst coaches were fired, he's still a coach. Guess they don't count guys who were canned at year end.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

Thanks for the attention. I don't know if KF is in that group of 5 or not? The author's rationale makes sense, especially when you consider the salary that KF gets. After 14 years KF is averaging 7 wins and 5 losses per year. Given the salary he gets, should he be winning more than 7 games a season?

I don't think he's the best, or worst, coach in the country. He is an average coach. Maybe that is the Iowa program - average. Some years they are above average...some years below...

A new season is upon us...time will tell.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rationale makes sense?????????

Randy Edsall took over a 9-4 team and has gone 6-18. Kevin Wilson is 5-19 at Indiana. What has Duke football done lately?

What KF makes has no bearing on win total and is no barometer on whether or not he's a good coach.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have Bobby Petrino over Dabo Swinney on the best list.:wtf2: There goes a lot of credibility there.

Then you have Lane Kiffin on the bad list because he had no defense last year. I wouldn't put Ferentz on there just yet. In fact, I'd stick whoever is the Minnesota coach and whoever is the Boston College coach on there long before I'd stick Ferentz there.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rationale makes sense?????????

Randy Edsall took over a 9-4 team and has gone 6-18. Kevin Wilson is 5-19 at Indiana. What has Duke football done lately?

Made a bowl game last year. That is definitely improvement under their current coach.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the jury is out til the end of the 2013 campaign. I like his recruiting class for next year, but I also need to see what he can do this year. I am not thrilled with his salary, I put him more in the $2.5MM range than the $3.6MM he earns...but

I do not think he is top 5 bad amongst all D1 coaches...let's take a look at teams I would rank below Iowa: Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, pretty much all of the American Athletic, half of the ACC, half of the Big12, 1/3 of the Pac12, a few in the SEC, all of Conf USA, some independents, the Mountain West, a lot of the MAC, and yes, all of the Sun Belt...

That said, if you want to say overpaid, I would have to rank him up there, cause I do think he is overpaid. You can't argue his track record with getting kids in the NFL, which seems odd cause you would think that translates to wins in college.

9 wins per year though needs to be his standard for his teams...a couple of things go our way last year and we are 8-4, course same thing and we are 2-10, it's that way every year, we need to be able to dominate our competition IMO and bust some scores wide open

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill say the same thing about KF as I said about Tom Davis when Iowa fans were fed up with his performance. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!! Iowa is a historically average to slightly below average program before Ferentz took over. He has had as many top 10 finishes in his tenure as Iowa had in the programs history combined. Not saying he cant do better but its not like we are Ohio State, Bama, USC or Texas.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferentz one of the 5 worst coaches in D1? Bull shit. Hey, I'm not happy with the way some of our seasons go, but for pete's sake. At least he has acknowledged by the coaching changes things need to take place to save face. 3 consecutive 10 win seasons, never done at Iowa before. 3 game win streak over Michigan, never done at Iowa before. First Orange Bowl win.

Iowa will rarely be in the top 30 in recruiting classes, and yet, until the last couple of seasons, Ferentz's teams rarely lost by more than a TD. They lost more games due to coaching than they won in spite of it. Game management more than anything but that doesn't equate to the worst coach.

Ferentz gets more out of less, and lately it's not been enough to garner that 8 to 9 win season. Standby, Ferentz could get Big 10 coach of the year this year. I guarantee he's closer to winning that, than losing his job.

We all know how upset we are about game decisions, yearly finishes, but far from saying we have the worst coach in all of football. Salary wise, sure should dictate better performance. Could we do better for that price, hard to say, we certainly could do worse. I say give it time, and I really believe this year is a rebound year.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill say the same thing about KF as I said about Tom Davis when Iowa fans were fed up with his performance. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!! Iowa is a historically average to slightly below average program before Ferentz took over. He has had as many top 10 finishes in his tenure as Iowa had in the programs history combined. Not saying he cant do better but its not like we are Ohio State, Bama, USC or Texas.

:clap::agree:

You know it's kind of funny how many Hawkeye fans go to ISU. I always laughed about that when I went there; especially because it's supposedly a rivalry, but I digress. So many of those Hawkeye fans thought they could take on the likes of USC or 'Bama and that they always got screwed by the refs when they lost.:laugh3:

I wish every Hawkeye fan would read that post and think on it. Lotta truth there.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think any intelligent person would choose to go to a school based on academics, location, cost, etc. vs. who's football team they like better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So..... If you're a Hawkeye fan for 18yrs and you go to another college, you are supposed to no longer be a Hawkeye fan? I love that logic....

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, it's funny how many ISU fans come to Iowa's message boards.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you're a real Iowa board until Cyclone Fanatic trolls
come over.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What some Alumni are questioning about KF and his salary with average results is this: What kind of a program is Iowa Football? Perennial 7-5 team that gets a bowl invitation, or an 8+ regular season wins every year program? If KF is the perennial 7-5 team...then should KF be getting paid $10,000 per day?

I've heard these questions asked in several circles. Some alumni believe that we can hire a MAC coach and get 7 wins every year for a lot less money. Some alumni feel that the salary KF gets should produce 9+ wins every season.

Being a diehard Iowa fan, I feel that KF could easily get 9 regular season wins every year. I wouldn't care about his salary if he was winning 9 + a bowl game most years. Iowa would be in a position for division and conference championships most seasons.

Let's not forget, many alumni have pointed out the KF has NEVER had the program in the Rose Bowl!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What some Alumni are questioning about KF and his salary with average results is this: What kind of a program is Iowa Football? Perennial 7-5 team that gets a bowl invitation, or an 8+ regular season wins every year program? If KF is the perennial 7-5 team...then should KF be getting paid $10,000 per day?

I've heard these questions asked in several circles. Some alumni believe that we can hire a MAC coach and get 7 wins every year for a lot less money. Some alumni feel that the salary KF gets should produce 9+ wins every season.

Being a diehard Iowa fan, I feel that KF could easily get 9 regular season wins every year. I wouldn't care about his salary if he was winning 9 + a bowl game most years. Iowa would be in a position for division and conference championships most seasons.

Let's not forget, many alumni have pointed out the KF has NEVER had the program in the Rose Bowl!!

Your many "Alumni" argument is bull shit. I do business with, hang out with and coach sports with some of the largest "boosters" for Iowa. Nobody that gives money to the college gives two ----s about how much he makes. Iowa's football makes money every season, money is not the issue with anyone who is involved with the program. It is simply a winning and losing issue. If he made $500,000.00 a year, the "alumni" would still be pissed with 4 wins. Iowa has finished in the top 10 more times with Ferentz than with Forest and Fry combined, and these are two of the greatest coaches in Iowa history. Facts are facts.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really fair IMO. KF has taken Iowa to 2 Orange Bowls and would have had a Rose Bowl bid in 02 if the Orange hadnt used their exemption to take Iowa instead of having to take the ACC winner.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So..... If you're a Hawkeye fan for 18yrs and you go to another college, you are supposed to no longer be a Hawkeye fan? I love that logic....

Noooooo, it's when you go to your alleged rival's school that it makes no sense. Purdue is just as good of an engineering school at ISU. K-State is just about as good as a Vet Med. school. South Dakota State could be argued there as well.

Point being, Iowa-Iowa State is not a rivalry. I'd like to know what kind of drugs were available to the individuals who started that mess. I mean when you go into any bar in Ames and see a ton of Hawkeye fans yet you are almost sure to get into a fight if you're wearing Cyclones gear anywhere near Iowa City; you can't tell me that's a rivalry with a serious face.:hand:

Your real rival is Wisconsin or Nebraska, not Iowa State because nobody cares about sports at ISU to be honest with you. If you want a good rivalry, try Auburn-Alabama or Clemson-S. Carolina.

Also, I'm the only Cyclone over here. I'm here just waiting for someone to say something incredibly stupid about the Big 10.:bounce: I'm a big SEC guy(Roll 'Tide) and only cheer for Iowa State because I did an undergraduate degree there.