• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider Offseason Priorities: Arizona Cardinals

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Arizona Cardinals were owners of the NFL's best record for a time this season, but injuries to quarterbacks Carson Palmer and then Drew Stanton caused the team to go 2-4 down the stretch before losing on the road in the first round of the playoffs to the Carolina Panthers.

What are the team's top priorities heading into the offseason? Here are five, starting with the QB position.

1. Prepare QB contingencies

Palmer is 35 years old and coming off his second torn ACL in the same knee. Backup Stanton suffered a knee injury late in the year. Ryan Lindley is not the future, and 2014 draft pick Logan Thomas remains a developmental player.

Palmer will return as the starter, and he has the contract to prove it, but can the Cardinals simply bank on him making it through a 16-game schedule? Would they feel OK going with Stanton over a long stretch if necessary, possibly to start the season if Palmer isn't ready? Where does Thomas fit into their plans?

It's possible the team could start 2015 with the same three QBs on the depth chart, but the Cards should at least pursue possible backup options. This is a very good roster overall, but an aging one, and the team showed during the stretch run how much it could struggle without Palmer.

2. Revitalize the LB position

The Cardinals lacked speed at linebacker after parting with Karlos Dansby in free agency and losing Daryl Washington to a yearlong suspension. Larry Foote filled in admirably, but he is an aging player who lacked the speed to chase down plays. That was one of the reasons Arizona struggled against mobile quarterbacks.

The Cardinals know they cannot count on Washington. They do have a young inside linebacker in Kevin Minter, but he hasn't factored in their sub packages. Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson aren't leaving the division. Arizona needs to find ways to keep up with them at linebacker in particular.

3. Figure out Fitz's future

Receiver Larry Fitzgerald has a contract scheduled to count $23.6 million against the salary cap in 2015. Fitzgerald remains a valuable contributor even though his receiving numbers are down. He has been a willing and ferocious blocker, sometimes even taking on defensive ends such as Robert Quinn and powerful safeties such as Kam Chancellor. He sets a standard for effort and professionalism. He has also shown an ability to make important catches when the team has a viable quarterback on the field.

Still, that $23.6 million cap figure is troubling. Can the Cardinals find a way to make Fitzgerald's contract work?

4. Upgrade the run blocking

Arizona has a pair of capable pass-blocking tackles in Jared Veldheer and Bobby Massie, but neither has shown much as a run-blocker. There are no indications 2013 first-round pick Jonathan Cooper is going to become a dominant guard, or even a very good one.

Arizona also lacks quality blocking tight ends, a big problem for an offense that does not feature a fullback. The result is a running game stuck in neutral. Can the Cardinals upgrade their run-blocking personnel to better compete against the rugged defensive fronts they face in the NFC West?

5. Are the Cardinals getting too old?

Arizona went into the postseason with the NFL's second-oldest roster in terms of average age. The Cardinals have relied pretty heavily on older role players such as Foote, Tommy Kelly, Frostee Rucker and John Carlson. They would have relied heavily on Darnell Dockett and John Abraham if they had remained available. Can they remain competitive while going younger? Do they have to get younger to remain competitive? Those are questions for coach Bruce Arians and general manager Steve Keim to consider this offseason.

Offseason fixes for the Arizona Cardinals -- NFL - ESPN
By Mike Sando

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys on my wish list to not see in a Cardinals uniform ever again: Lindley (again), Thomas, Housler (again), Butler, Grice, Jauron Brown.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord, I did. Definitely add him to the list.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Arizona Cardinals were owners of the NFL's best record for a time this season, but injuries to quarterbacks Carson Palmer and then Drew Stanton caused the team to go 2-4 down the stretch before losing on the road in the first round of the playoffs to the Carolina Panthers.

What are the team's top priorities heading into the offseason? Here are five, starting with the QB position.

1. Prepare QB contingencies

Palmer is 35 years old and coming off his second torn ACL in the same knee. Backup Stanton suffered a knee injury late in the year. Ryan Lindley is not the future, and 2014 draft pick Logan Thomas remains a developmental player.

Palmer will return as the starter, and he has the contract to prove it, but can the Cardinals simply bank on him making it through a 16-game schedule? Would they feel OK going with Stanton over a long stretch if necessary, possibly to start the season if Palmer isn't ready? Where does Thomas fit into their plans?

It's possible the team could start 2015 with the same three QBs on the depth chart, but the Cards should at least pursue possible backup options. This is a very good roster overall, but an aging one, and the team showed during the stretch run how much it could struggle without Palmer.

2. Revitalize the LB position

The Cardinals lacked speed at linebacker after parting with Karlos Dansby in free agency and losing Daryl Washington to a yearlong suspension. Larry Foote filled in admirably, but he is an aging player who lacked the speed to chase down plays. That was one of the reasons Arizona struggled against mobile quarterbacks.

The Cardinals know they cannot count on Washington. They do have a young inside linebacker in Kevin Minter, but he hasn't factored in their sub packages. Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson aren't leaving the division. Arizona needs to find ways to keep up with them at linebacker in particular.

3. Figure out Fitz's future

Receiver Larry Fitzgerald has a contract scheduled to count $23.6 million against the salary cap in 2015. Fitzgerald remains a valuable contributor even though his receiving numbers are down. He has been a willing and ferocious blocker, sometimes even taking on defensive ends such as Robert Quinn and powerful safeties such as Kam Chancellor. He sets a standard for effort and professionalism. He has also shown an ability to make important catches when the team has a viable quarterback on the field.

Still, that $23.6 million cap figure is troubling. Can the Cardinals find a way to make Fitzgerald's contract work?

4. Upgrade the run blocking

Arizona has a pair of capable pass-blocking tackles in Jared Veldheer and Bobby Massie, but neither has shown much as a run-blocker. There are no indications 2013 first-round pick Jonathan Cooper is going to become a dominant guard, or even a very good one.

Arizona also lacks quality blocking tight ends, a big problem for an offense that does not feature a fullback. The result is a running game stuck in neutral. Can the Cardinals upgrade their run-blocking personnel to better compete against the rugged defensive fronts they face in the NFC West?

5. Are the Cardinals getting too old?

Arizona went into the postseason with the NFL's second-oldest roster in terms of average age. The Cardinals have relied pretty heavily on older role players such as Foote, Tommy Kelly, Frostee Rucker and John Carlson. They would have relied heavily on Darnell Dockett and John Abraham if they had remained available. Can they remain competitive while going younger? Do they have to get younger to remain competitive? Those are questions for coach Bruce Arians and general manager Steve Keim to consider this offseason.

Offseason fixes for the Arizona Cardinals -- NFL - ESPN
By Mike Sando

1. Relatively weak QB class, after the top 2 I doubt there are any worth taking until maybe even the third round.

2. I agree, even if they get D. Wash back they still need to get some youth in there, I would also say if there is a good DE that could replace Dockett in a few years you grab him.

3. As much as I hate to say it Larry is likely done as a Cardinal. His cap hit is too high to deal with and no team is gong to trade for him. They could always try to renegotiate, but that's just kicking the can down the road. I think it's time to let him go and see what he can get elsewhere.

4. When Cooper was healthy the O-line had a couple really good running games. I'm hoping he gets healthy over this off season and can put in a full 16 game season in 2015. I would also like to see the Cards pick up a big RB, they've got the change of pace quick guys they need a big brusier that can come in and get the short yardage on 3rd and short.

5. Can't argue here, the Cards need to start replacing older pieces soon or it will be back to the bottom of the League in a couple years.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comments about Cooper make me think that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Cooper did well with the playing time that he had. As mentioned above, the team had a couple of it's best running games with Cooper playing.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, as long as Cooper stays healthy he is definitely starter material. He has battled some tough injuries to start his career.

The biggest story of the offseason besides the whole Fitz thing will be Washington's suspension status. If he's cleared to play next year then that would be a HUGE gain for us. Dockett's (hopeful) return will also help a lot. I would also love to bring back Cro, but if not it wouldn't be the end of the world as long as we draft well. We are deep in the secondary, just need PP to play up to his contract next year and a healthy Honey Badger. Deon, Powers and Johnson all had solid years.

My #1 and 2 priorities in free agency would be to sign a serviceable backup QB to put behind Palmer and move Stanton to third string. Then sign a power RB that can block and punch it in around the goal-line.

The O-Line and pass rushers can be found in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, as long as Cooper stays healthy he is definitely starter material. He has battled some tough injuries to start his career.

The biggest story of the offseason besides the whole Fitz thing will be Washington's suspension status. If he's cleared to play next year then that would be a HUGE gain for us. Dockett's (hopeful) return will also help a lot. I would also love to bring back Cro, but if not it wouldn't be the end of the world as long as we draft well. We are deep in the secondary, just need PP to play up to his contract next year and a healthy Honey Badger. Deon, Powers and Johnson all had solid years.

My #1 and 2 priorities in free agency would be to sign a serviceable backup QB to put behind Palmer and move Stanton to third string. Then sign a power RB that can block and punch it in around the goal-line.

We have over 18 mil tied up in the QB position. We will be going into next year with the same 3 QB's.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also- When Washington applies for reinstatement, he will still need to serve a 4 or 6 game suspension next year for his domestic violence charge. If he gets busted again for substance abuse, he is banned form the NFL for life. The Cards need to tear up his current contract and draw up a new, incentive laden contract. No signing bonus. Something that guarantees he will get paid what his old contract guaranteed only if he plays every game he is eligible for.

Dockett is technically still under contract. I think he will restructure to remain with the team.

Cro is interesting. He was definitely the best corner on the team last year. He had one really bad game against Denver. Other than that, he was good. I would love to see them resign him.

I was listening to MJ yesterday on the radio and although he initially thought Fitz would probibly be gone, some of his sources, which are always good sources, said Fitz want's to come back to AZ. He realizes he is not worth top tier WR money and money really isn't that important. He has made 117 mil in 11 years. In addition, Fitz has endorsements with Desert Schools Federal Credit Union and UofP, which are AZ endorsements up-words of 3 mil a year. If he leaves, those go away and he doesn't think he will be able to get those type endorsements in a new city considering he is not a budding new receiver entering the league.

Fitz wants to win, so the big question is, will Fitz take a big enough pay-cut to help the team get better? Adrain Wilson was on the show yesterday and he said knowing the type of loyal guy Fitz is, he doesn't see him going anywhere.

BTW- Adub's in studio appearance was really great. He gave a lot of great insight about contracts and the locker room. If you are interested in hearing the podcast, here's the link.

1-5 Adrian Wilson (Audio)

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be nice to never see Daryl Washington in a Cardinals uniform again. I wish they could just wash their hands of the idiot.

Agree we need to get a big, bruising power RB. Disagree we need to move Stanton to 3rd string. He's a great backup...due to the mountain of injuries, we really started to apply Starter standards to Stanton and by those he generally failed. But the team won more games than they lost with him and as a backup, you are doing your job.

I would like to see another QB at 3rd string, but you can't pay a lot of $ for that. Fortunately, you don't have to in order to upgrade from Lindley or Thomas. The business side of things tells me they will keep Thomas, who is an obvious bust though.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather than quote anyone, I'll just address a few points made in the thread.

Stanton - He is probably the best backup QB in the NFL. I am not sure what standards people are applying to him. I doubt you will find a better backup QB than him.

Thomas - It's far too early to call a raw athletic mid round pick a bust. Third string QB(s) aren't supposed to be very good, let alone see the playing field. What exactly are people expecting from their 3rd string QB? It's a learning position for young QB(s) who need to time to develop. Replacing thomas with some other mid to late round QB does nothing to improve this team at this point. Any determination on Thomas' viability as a NFL QB should be made after year 2 or 3.

Washington - This is a tough one. When he is on the field, he is easily a top 5 3-4 ILB. His off-field problems are an issue. We desperately need talent at ILB & if Wash can get there while keeping his nose clean, he is the best option. And let's not forget that Foote is likely to retire. And don't think for one minute that teams won't be lining to sign Wash if we cut him. With a 4-6 game suspension looming once he is reinstated, this is a tough situation. I would keep him & make it clear that one misstep & he will be gone.

Cromartie - I think he was a good player for a majority of the season & easily the better of the 2 CB during different stretches of the season. But I think people are forgetting the games were he was abused by big fast WR. Denver, Sea, & a few other games that I can't recall saw teams abuse him. But he did play well enough this year that I would like to see him back. The problem being that we have very little money to work with. He made $6 mil last season & likely would want something close to that per year over a multiple year deal. I am not sure we have space for that.

Edit: After a pass rusher, we need to draft ILB, CB, & OG positions.

Running Back - I agree that we need a big power runner. McFadden or Asiata would be my targets in FA.

OL/Cooper - I thought we ran the ball a lot better with Cooper starting. I am not a fan of Larson or Fanaika as starters. I would like to see them draft a OG on day 2. I see Cooper as the starting LG for the 2015 season.

Dockett - I don't see the Cardinals cutting him. He is still a very good DL. What I see Keim doing is cutting his cap number by extending him 2 years at a lower base salary, reducing his 2015 base salary to the vet min, cut him a bonus check for the difference, & making the 3rd year of the contract voidable. What that will do is drop his cap number by half & still allow him to keep his money. Cap number would likely be in the $3 mil range after this.

Our main priority in the draft should be to find a pass rusher. Okefor played well once he got healthy, 8 sacks in 13 games. So we just need to find a speed rusher opposite him. I don't think we bring Acho back for anything more than the vet minimum. He has a good motor but isn't explosive enough to be a good pass rusher. Shaunessy will be back as the run stuffer at OLB.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point on Thomas, but I think that a viable rookie should have been ready to see some action by Week 17. It was clear he still wasn't comfortable with the offense and when your coach WANTS you to play and your standard is "just to be a little better than the worst QB in NFL history" and you can't do it...you are a bust in my book.

I'd be anyone any money he never amounts to anything.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dockett - I don't see the Cardinals cutting him. He is still a very good DL. What I see Keim doing is cutting his cap number by extending him 2 years at a lower base salary, reducing his 2015 base salary to the vet min, cut him a bonus check for the difference, & making the 3rd year of the contract voidable. What that will do is drop his cap number by half & still allow him to keep his money. Cap number would likely be in the $3 mil range after this.

I don't think anyone was saying to cut Dockett. I do think they need to look for an eventual replacement for him once he leaves or retires. Similar to how the they had Campbell when A.Smith left in FA after the superbowl year.