• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft: Top 4 WR metrics

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ76;4394455 Hasn't been a WR cine through the draft like Sammy in years people. Too funny[/QUOTE said:
Its all speculation. All Im saying is that WRs can and are drafted in later rounds and produce. Qbs only do that if they have a skillset that is outside of the box that people aren't aware of

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ, my point with AJ is that stats in college are useless so throwing out INT
numbers and what not don't mean much to me.

Additionally, fans have been
patient. But have they been patient with Quick, Givens, Bailey, etc? Those are
3-5 year guys who haven't been given 3-5 years yet we are trying to replace
because we have no faith in.

Oh I hear ya. But I don't know if we can afford to wait anymore. We just keep waiting, waiting on our QB, waiting on our WRs. Look at Zac30! The kid stepped right in with an O-line that had question marks and ran it down peoples throat. Then it caught on and got contagious.

My point is... You usually know what you have pretty Quick - no pun intended. And although i think Givens and Quick have talent, they seem to waiting for something and don't seem to be a big difference maker.

And that's what we need. A #1 WR that's a difference maker.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea why are we discussing more 3-5 year projects at WR when we have a roster full of them?

The vast majority of WRs are 3 year projects. It was pretty much a rule with a few recent exceptions. No WR is going to break out on the Rams if they keep the ground and pound attack going from the second half of the season.

Besides, what makes Robinson a project any more than any of the other top WRs in the draft? He has solid production over the past two years. This year's stats:

Robinson (age 20, 6'3, 210): 97-1432-6
Watkins (age 20, 6'1, 205): 101-1464-12
Evans (age 20, 6'5, 225): 69-1394-12

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tavon Austin was in this draft, would he be the #1 receiver prospect? And if so would we have drafted him with the 2nd pick in the draft? His production last year doesn't warrant that high a draft pick IMHO. If we draft the best player available, whether it be Bridgewater or Clowney, we continue to get stronger overall as a team, and stop "reaching" as Austin may eventually be defined as.

Every year we see QBs produce with less talent than we have at WR right now. Betcha Brady would trade his WRs for ours in a millisecond. The problem is elsewhere in the offense, not WR. One or two of the guys we have will eventually mature hopefully (albeit slowly under knuckle-dragging Shottenheimer) and then the discussion will end on WR. The Rams seem to have no luck drafting OL or WR the last few years (or anything else for that matter) so I say why not draft the most "can't miss" prospect early and address needs after that.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tavon would not be rated the highest WR in the draft, Watkins would be higher than him.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There a ton of great arguments on here guys. I disagree and agree with all of you.

Boss, There's no doubt in my mind that TA would be a 1st round pick this year. He's too explosive and I think he had a very good rookie season. I think you're forgetting he got injured with 3.5 games to go. Not to mention the incredible amount of plays he got called back because we have bonehead players around him. I think people forget about that.

SJ, I totally agree with you we need that #1 WR but we HAVE to hit on it. We can't make the mistake of drafting another Donnie Avery. If we do that it could mean Fishers/Snead/Bradfords head. However, I don't think you can compare Zstacy (RB) to a WR position. A good RB can come in and fill someones shoes almost immediately. Take a look at rookie WR's. It takes a year or two at least to develop them. See A. Jeffery. No one knew he was going to turn into a monster this year (besides you). Even Julio Jones had his moments in rookie season. WR's take some time to develop. I would even venture to say that QB's and WR's are the slowest to develop.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There a ton of great arguments on here guys. I disagree and agree with all of you.

Boss, There's no doubt in my mind that TA would be a 1st round pick this year. He's too explosive and I think he had a very good rookie season. I think you're forgetting he got injured with 3.5 games to go. Not to mention the incredible amount of plays he got called back because we have bonehead players around him. I think people forget about that.

SJ, I totally agree with you we need that #1 WR but we HAVE to hit on it. We can't make the mistake of drafting another Donnie Avery. If we do that it could mean Fishers/Snead/Bradfords head. However, I don't think you can compare Zstacy (RB) to a WR position. A good RB can come in and fill someones shoes almost immediately. Take a look at rookie WR's. It takes a year or two at least to develop them. See A. Jeffery. No one knew he was going to turn into a monster this year (besides you). Even Julio Jones had his moments in rookie season. WR's take some time to develop. I would even venture to say that QB's and WR's are the slowest to develop.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tavon would not be rated the highest WR in the draft, Watkins would be higher than him.

I disagree, I think it would be a toss up. Take a team like the GB packers and look at Randell Cobb. He's the exact same player but with better speed than Cobb. You can't tell me that you don't want that on your team. I think TA will ultimately be better than the WR's that are coming out of this draft IF used correctly

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people were really high on Tavon, others weren't. Mayock said he was one of the most explosive talents he has ever seen. Football Outsiders did an article on him and said that they think he is strictly a slot guy because his explosive speed doesn't show up all of the time. Watkins probably would have gone higher than him but Tavon might have gotten just as much hype

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jacob, Cobb has 20 pounds on Tavon. Not to say Tavon won't put on weight but there's a big difference between 175 and 195.

Clayton, I've always liked Football Outsiders more than Mayock!

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jacob, Cobb has 20 pounds on Tavon. Not to say Tavon won't put on weight but there's a big difference between 175 and 195.

Clayton, I've always liked Football Outsiders more than Mayock!

just pointing out they are the same type of football player. slot/rb/returner with explosive speed.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. we have Austin, Givens for screens. and Screens don't work in the NFL like they do in college. the D's are to fast. maybe once a game.

Denver probably runs the most screens in the NFL and they seem to work for them, LOL.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dink N Dunk assault
yahoo.gif

by SAM BRADFORD !

Nope. Like it or not that's the RAMS offense.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sammy Watkins came out last year, he most definitely would have been the #1 WR picked. Tavon is gifted, but he's not a WR that can run block. He works good in a spread offense, but you all saw how good that worked in our system early. We need to run the ball and IF we do want to go to a spread offense. We need another stud WR.

Sorry whoever said Pettis, Tavon, and Bailey are a similar WR to Watkins is making kool aid moonshine. Sammy is not in their mold at all. He's bigger than Tavon and more athletic, way faster than Pettis and Bailey. He's a overall #1 WR that is can't miss. Complete player.

That is all

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Watkins is special and would've been picked before TA. Who I wasn't a fan of the pick with the money spent on Cook and the fact that he kinda does need to be in the slot. I don't think that is true with Watkins and that we can send him for the deep ball. I do understand the love of the 6'5 Evans, but wouldn't not draft Watkins to draft him. If we trade back and miss Watkins then I Think Evans might be a good backup choice.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Watkins is special and would've been picked before TA. Who I wasn't a fan of the pick with the money spent on Cook and the fact that he kinda does need to be in the slot. I don't think that is true with Watkins and that we can send him for the deep ball. I do understand the love of the 6'5 Evans, but wouldn't not draft Watkins to draft him. If we trade back and miss Watkins then I Think Evans might be a good backup choice.

Man, the love for Watkins on here is ridiculous.

Look, he's not Megatron, or Andre Johnson, or Fitz, or Green , or Jones.

He's a 6'1" WR that made his living catching screens and slants ( 70% of his receptions were 5 yards or less). Guy had less that 10% of his catches go over 20 yards. Yet everyone here is talking up the guy like he's going to open up the entire passing game just by being on the field.

Meanwhile, Evans and Benjamin made their living on the deep ball ( both 25%+ ) and both are 6'5", so they can be the redzone threats this offense needs.

Watkins may be the best WR in this class, but that doesn't make him Megatron, Johnson, Green, etc. He's not worth the #2 pick.

And, until this FO addresses the OL issues ( and it's lack of quality depth ), it won't matter who they draft because no QB will have the time to throw the deep ball anyways. This OL is great at run blocking but terrible at pass protection ( with or without a healthy Long ). If that's not addressed, I don't care who the WR is they draft, he won't make a difference at all. We will just have another Austin on our hands because 5-6 yard routes is all the time the QB will have to get rid of the ball.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is this: you want to open up the passing game? Then get a stinkin' OL that can pass protect.

The Seahawks are in the SB and they have no WR that had over 1000 yards this season. What do they have? A great D ( the Rams are getting close ) and solid run game ( Rams are close ) and an excellent OL that can both run block and give Wilson the time he needs to make plays.

Their only ProBowl WR has been injured all season. So, enough with this " the Rams need a #1 WR " when the Seahawks just proved to everyone that you don't. There is not one receiver they have that you would say "man, if the Rams had him our offense would be so much better".

Build the OL, hope Bradford really is the QB they drafted him to be, then watch the offense improve. Otherwise, you are putting the cart before the horse.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is this: you want to open up the passing game? Then get a stinkin' OL that can pass protect.

The Seahawks are in the SB and they have no WR that had over 1000 yards this season. What do they have? A great D ( the Rams are getting close ) and solid run game ( Rams are close ) and an excellent OL that can both run block and give Wilson the time he needs to make plays.

Their only ProBowl WR has been injured all season. So, enough with this " the Rams need a #1 WR " when the Seahawks just proved to everyone that you don't. There is not one receiver they have that you would say "man, if the Rams had him our offense would be so much better".

Build the OL, hope Bradford really is the QB they drafted him to be, then watch the offense improve. Otherwise, you are putting the cart before the horse.

Completely agree. I will be shocked if they go WR in the first or second rds. D and Oline!

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANGEL, arguments can be made for both sides. It's really not so simple to say that we just need to draft an OT or OG. It really goes further than that. I could sit here all day and argue this point but it really doesn't matter..

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANGEL, arguments can be made for both sides. It's really not so simple to say that we just need to draft an OT or OG. It really goes further than that. I could sit here all day and argue this point but it really doesn't matter..

True.

However, they have drafted 4 WR's in the last 2 drafts and that hasn't improved the offense.

So, wouldn't it make sense to try the other method?

We can argue all day about whether the WR's the Rams have are good enough or not. But I do know this: for all those touting Watkins as the next best thing- there is no such thing as a sure thing in the NFL ( Aaron Curry anyone? ).

What is proven in the NFL is that teams that are solid in the trenches are usually pretty successful ( even with average QB's and WR's- 2000 Ravens? 2001 Pats before Brady became Brady? ).

Games are won and lost in the trenches and yet the Rams continue to ignore the OL in the draft opting for more "weapons" and it has not translated on the field.

It is time for a new approach. If the Rams ever expect Sam to reach his potential ( if he can improve ), then the need to give him time in the pocket and keep him upright.

Orlando Pace circa 98-04 is not walking through those gates ( and Long is not Pace even prior to the injury ). And where was Pace taken? 2nd round? 3rd round? 4th round? Nope! He was drafted #1 overall.

The Rams need to quit screwing around with drafting all these WR's and fix this thing right.