• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft: Top 4 WR metrics

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article on STLtoday boards...

Peshek: Top 4 WR Metrics

Much will be written about the talent and depth in this year’s wide receiver draft class; it’ll be one of those truisms that gets passed around non-stop. Just looking at the stats of the top tier of WRs shows us that it isn’t just an empty platitude, but rather a statement that has a lot of merit. On average, this year’s class of WRs gained more yards after the catch, dropped less balls, and achieved production utilizing a much wider array of talents. I’ll expand on those stats in the piece, but it’s important to note that these stats won’t predict which WR will be better, but explain their production and complement film study.

Where Did They Catch the Ball?

The table below represents the percentage of catches in each zone, it is color-coded so that an above-average number of receptions is greener and a below-average number is redder.

yuHvdoh.jpg

- Sammy Watkins’ receptions stick out like a sore thumb. It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who’s watched Clemson that 57% of Watkins’ catches came off screens. We’ll examine his yards after the catch in relation to screens later in the piece, but that doesn’t discount the fact that you’d like to see more than 30% of his receptions come past 6 yards – just for some variation.

- The most normalized reception chart belongs to Mike Evans, who was the closest to average among the top tier. Much will be made about Manziel and Evans’ connection and reliance on each other for deep balls. However, we still have to be impressed by the fact that at 6’5” Evans has caught the highest percentage of receptions past 20 yards amongst the top 15 WRs in this class.

- Like Evans, 25% of Benjamin’s receptions came on throws deeper than 20 yards. Benjamin’s receptions are well distributed among the various zones with the exception of screens. He caught 3 screens on the year where he totaled -8 yards. The screen game is not going to be strong for Kelvin at the next level.

- Lee’s receptions are the most stunning, as only 3.5% of his catches (2 receptions) came deeper than 20 yards. He actually dropped more deep passes (3) than he caught. Other than that, we can see the influence of Kiffin’s passing game where the majority of Lee’s receptions came on short passes designed to get yards after the catch.

What Did They Do After They Caught It?

mWZAiha.jpg

- As alluded to earlier, Marqise Lee was put in situations where he could catch the ball short and take it for good yardage. His 7.05 yards after the catch is top 5 in the class, although his paltry 3.7 yards after the catch on screens leaves a little something to be desired.

- We can see the effects of Benjamin’s deep receptions as he caught the ball an average of 13.4 yards from the line of scrimmage, proving to be a solid deep threat. However, his 4.89 yards after the catch is the lowest among the top 15 WRs. That’s not necessarily a problem with a bigger WR as that’s not ‘where he wins’. However, we still have to take that into account when comparing him to other similarly sized WRs.

- Benjamin’s YAC becomes relevant when compared to Evans who averaged 7.63 yards after the catch. His yardage wasn’t just racked up on broken Manziel plays. On screens he averaged 8.92 yards after the catch, displaying an innate shiftiness/burst that he may not always get credit for.

- I was a bit hard on Watkins earlier for his lack of receptions downfield, however we have to be impressed with his YAC. Despite catching 70% of his passes within 5 yards of the LOS, where defenses were keying in on him – he averaged the highest YAC of this class gaining 8.48 yards on average. Most importantly he still averaged a solid 6.1 yards on non-screen passes showing he can get it done all over the field

How Did they Catch the Ball?

The chart below represents the final break each WR made before catching the ball. The goal isn’t to tell you exactly what routes each WR ran, but the variety of breaks they made as well as how those affected their production. For instance, comebacks typically yield very little YAC (2.5 yards on average) while posts/corner/slants yield high yards after the catch. The chart has factored out screens.

OjQ7PwX.jpg

- When he’s not running screens, Watkins has the most normal distribution of route types. This makes his overall YAC on non-screens all the more impressive because we know he’s not running an excess of routes that lead to exaggerated YAC totals.

- As many have surmised via his tape, nearly 44% of Mike Evans’ catches are from coming back to the QB. Whether that’s on a scramble drill or designed route, that high number of comebacks takes away from his experience running sharp-breaking routes like square outs. Although we must consider Evans’ high YAC as a positive sign despite catching so many comebacks.

- Most interesting here is Benjamin and FSU’s utilization of the go route to take advantage of his height mismatch, nearly doubling the average for that specific type of route.

- Nearly 43% of Marqise Lee’s receptions came on short breaking in/out routes designed to put him in a position to gain yardage after the catch. I’m personally a bit surprised by the lack of post/corner/slants that have seemed to factor more heavily into USC’s past offenses.

How Are Their Hands?

Here are the drop rates for each of the WRs. I defined drops as balls that were easy receptions and likely bounced off the hands of a WR, not passes that a WR ‘could have caught’ with an acrobatic play. I won’t provide any commentary since it’s pretty self-explanatory.

qd2U26t.jpg

So much of a WR’s numbers depend on the quarterback, so we can’t always use stats as effectively as we do for other positions. However, that doesn’t mean there isn’t value in them. Whether you use them to identify problems with a prospect’s hands or examine a WR’s YAC in depth, there is merit if you understand their potential and limitations. That’s all I have for now. I’ll answer any questions and tweet out additional info I have on Twitter @NU_Gap. Thanks for reading.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3 numbers that should stick out are the screen numbers, the drops and the comeback numbers.

Benjamin and Lee have too many drops. Evans is too reliant on the comeback route but they're all a bit guilty. Those Watkins screen numbers are atrocious.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post Jaco. Watkins seems to be perfect for our Dink N Dunk assault :yahoo:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we are supposed to get excited about drafting a WR whose whole game relies on screen passes? He is one of the worst at the deep ball which is what the Rams need. They don't need another 6'-6'1" WR to catch screen passes and anything under 10 yards. They need a guy that can go and get a deep ball and has the height to counter Seattle's backfield.

They traded up last year to draft Austin to catch the screens and 5-7 yards crossing routes and we all saw how well that worked out this year. They don't need another guy like him. They need a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Andre Johnson type WR.

Evans makes more sense at #13 than Watkins does at #2 and he fits what the Rams need- a big, physical receiver.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dink N Dunk assault
yahoo.gif

by SAM BRADFORD !

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans makes more sense at #13 than Watkins does at #2 and he fits what the Rams need- a big, physical receiver.

What I have been saying all along... but now I can honestly add Benjamin in addition to Evans. One of those 2 at #13 would be great. Or better yet, Benjamin at #24 after trading with Cleveland and then getting Matthews,Dix AND Benjamin

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we are supposed to get excited about drafting a WR whose whole game relies on screen passes? He is one of the worst at the deep ball which is what the Rams need. They don't need another 6'-6'1" WR to catch screen passes and anything under 10 yards. They need a guy that can go and get a deep ball and has the height to counter Seattle's backfield.

They traded up last year to draft Austin to catch the screens and 5-7 yards crossing routes and we all saw how well that worked out this year. They don't need another guy like him. They need a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Andre Johnson type WR.

I agree. we have Austin, Givens for screens. and Screens don't work in the NFL like they do in college. the D's are to fast. maybe once a game.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been higher on Evans than Watkins all along. Watkins will get taken first but I don't think he's all that special. I'm especially unimpressed with the development of his footwork.

Another thing to remember with Evans is who he played with. JFF kept plays alive and Evans thrived in these broken plays. He learned how to find holes in defenses by sitting in zones or running to a hole in the coverage, this will help him at the next level.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think there's a very real chance that Mike Evans may not be available at #13 though. If the Rams were to trade back to around #7-#10 I could see them taking Evans there.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been sold on Sammy Watkins at the #2 overall spot. Maybe down the line, if we really just have to have him. But, I've always seen him as Austin Pettis with more speed, to be truthful. If you're gonna go that high on a WR, he'd better be a "top tier, can't miss" guy like a Calvin Johnson, or AJ Green type. With the glut of young WRs already on the roster (two of them picked up only a year ago), I just don't see Watkins as a "need". At least... not nearly as pressing as others. As I've always said, though... any pick that benefits the offense, I'm okay with... I guess.

On a sidenote... SJ is gonna absolutely "stroke out" when he reads this one. :gaah: Watch out, jacobarch! Lol.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jacobarch - Love the article. Still like Sammy Watkins over Mike Evans as do most prognosticators. They both will be a success in the NFL and of course the Rams will be improved with either of them.

STLADAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you right now just like how I tried telling people about Alshon Jeffery, Keenan Allen, Desean Jackson, Golden Tate Your gonna miss out on these guys

And people wanted other guys who don't even play on our roster anymore...

You pass on Sammy Watkins and you might as well shoot yourself in the foot or hide from this site, Because you will never hear then end of it from me when he's catching tds for some other team while our wrs are dropping everything in sight.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to remember this is how their teams' used them in college, not what they are capable of. Watkins can run other routes, and his ability to get YAC should apply to a normal route tree (within reason of course).

I like Evans, but I'm not sold that Benjamin is a big upgrade from Quick in year 3.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey guys, I know I don't post here very often (hardly at all) but I have to agree with the bolded here. Don't we already have one of those in Tavon Austin? There is more than likely gonna be a couple of downfield receivers available in FA. I would much rather take a shot on Kenny Britt (if let go) than draft another WR with a high draft pick.

STLADAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all you guys think he's a screen wr ... I didn't know he was calling all the plays... he's a playmaker and they got his hands on the ball as much as possible... we don't need a deep guy that's givens we need a playmaker who can catch the ball everywhere and that Watkins

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans probably is the best fit for the Rams. Im just really worried about his lack of production as A&M's season ended.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting breakdown Jacob. But keep in mind it's against college defenses, not NFL defenses. Andy he fact that the Clemson offense, like any offense is going to take what they are given. I'll still take a 6'1 guy with great speed over a 6'5 guy that has average speed.

Again we get cute, look at stats, and start to forget all about how talented a guy is and what we all witnessed.. Seems to be the Like the Rams FO. Sammy has caught passes over 15-20, but he also saw a lot of double teams and when not double teamed, the CB played off him a good 7-9 yards. What would you do if you were the QB or OC?

You cannot fall in love with stats. With Sammy's talent he will be able to do much on the field in the NFL. Just because opposing defenses tried to keep him pinned on one side, doesn't mean he's limited.

Not with speed! :omg:

And don't forget that Benjamin was on a team loaded with weapons. He started shaky and ended strong! And he's practically a Mike Evans clone.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a sidenote... SJ is gonna absolutely "stroke out" when he reads this one. Watch out, jacobarch! Lol.

Lol

It's all good. I am used to the Rams FO overthinking, changing their mind to convince themselves they found a steal later - while the real deal Holyfield is right in front of their eyes. :scratch:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol

It's all good. I am used to the Rams FO overthinking, changing their mind to convince themselves they found a steal later - while the real deal Holyfield is right in front of their eyes. :scratch:

Agreed on the rams FO overthinking things. Look at pead and Quick....need I say more? lol

I'd be ok with Watkins, Evens or Lee. I think any of those guys would be an upgrade.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on the rams FO overthinking things. Look at pead and Quick....need I say more? lol

I'd be ok with Watkins, Evens or Lee. I think any of those guys would be an upgrade.
I'm actually not convinced Lee has any elite qualities at all.

The thing about Watkins is that we can't really dog the Clemson offense too much due to who they have put into the NFL that past couple of years.