• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft: Top 4 WR metrics

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all you guys think he's a screen wr ... I didn't know he was calling all the plays... he's a playmaker and they got his hands on the ball as much as possible... we don't need a deep guy that's givens we need a playmaker who can catch the ball everywhere and that Watkins

Doesn't Bailey, Pettis and Austin catch pretty much everything everywhere?

Bailey was catching everything thrown his way this season and Pettis has been so reliable that he became Sam's go to 3rd down receiver the past 1 1/2 seasons.

To me, it's pretty redundant to keep drafting the same type of receiver ( just at different heights- Austin 5'8", Bailey 5'10", Pettis 6'3"- Watkins 6'1" )

And, when are we going to wait and let these WR's develop before we stop drafting more WR's? They have drafted 4 WR's in the past 2 drafts and Pettis is the "veteran" of the group with 3 seasons under his belt.

I personally think these WR's will be more productive if the Rams get the OL addressed and finally fixed. Neither the 9ers or the Seahawks have standout WR's. What they both have are great OL's and an excellent ground game, and top 10 defenses.

The Rams just about have the defense, all they are missing is the OL and another RB to compliment Stacy (QB is still undetermined- but that won't be addressed this year anyways ).

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Bailey, Pettis and Austin catch pretty much everything everywhere?

Bailey was catching everything thrown his way this season and Pettis has been so reliable that he became Sam's go to 3rd down receiver the past 1 1/2 seasons.

To me, it's pretty redundant to keep drafting the same type of receiver ( just at different heights- Austin 5'8", Bailey 5'10", Pettis 6'3"- Watkins 6'1" )

And, when are we going to wait and let these WR's develop before we stop drafting more WR's? They have drafted 4 WR's in the past 2 drafts and Pettis is the "veteran" of the group with 3 seasons under his belt.

I personally think these WR's will be more productive if the Rams get the OL addressed and finally fixed. Neither the 9ers or the Seahawks have standout WR's. What they both have are great OL's and an excellent ground game, and top 10 defenses.

The Rams just about have the defense, all they are missing is the OL and another RB to compliment Stacy (QB is still undetermined- but that won't be addressed this year anyways ).

:agree: But i would still go D with the first two picks because i think the talent and impact is there. Mack & Dennard. now we have a top 10 D. and go Oline with the next two picks to fix that.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Clowney if a trade down isn't done.

As I've said before, Long is solid but not great and the Rams may not be able to pay Quinn what he is going to command because of what they have invested already in Bradford, Long and JL.

If they trade down, I would be okay with your scenario. Otherwise, take Clowney and either Dennard, Dix, OL or Evans at #13.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a few thoughts.

1. I don't think the Rams should necessarily draft WR at all in the 1st round. I'd rather use the high pick on Matthews and take a guy like Jordan Matthews in the 2nd.

2. If Sammy Watkins was all about the screen in college and we blame this on his offense he played in, what does that say about Taj Boyd. Can he actually make the throws or is he the product of a gimmick offense?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's says more about the opposing defenses giving SW a cushion and respect for Sammy W than anything else.

Go look an see how many INTs Boyd threw in the red zone the last 3 years. I'm guessing 2.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You watch SJ76. Since Fisher has never had the opportunity to draft an OT this high or take a guy like Watkins in a 1-5, they both will over-think this, trade out of the top five and trade way down to say 20-31 and completely miss a whole slew of excellent players just to pick up some dumbass they think is going to be a steal. I see it developing day-by-day. I hope I dead wrong, but I have seen this bullshit before and it is all coming back AGAIN!!!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm warming up to drafting Allen Robinson from Penn State. Strong receiver at 6'3/205 with decent speed (not a burner though) and toughness. He's probably a late 1st / early 2nd pick.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm warming up to drafting Allen Robinson from Penn State. Strong receiver at 6'3/205 with decent speed (not a burner though) and toughness. He's probably a late 1st / early 2nd pick.

nooooooooooooooo. No more project WR's no more WR's that will be good in 3 to 5 years... It's a hit or miss draft. We have to take chances on players if we're ever going to get anywhere.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea why are we discussing more 3-5 year projects at WR when we have a roster full of them?

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Clowney if a trade down isn't done.

As I've said before, Long is solid but not great and the Rams may not be able to pay Quinn what he is going to command because of what they have invested already in Bradford, Long and JL.

If they trade down, I would be okay with your scenario. Otherwise, take Clowney and either Dennard, Dix, OL or Evans at #13.

Anthony Barr = Von Miller :nod:

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ, so let's just take AJ McCarron cause he doesn't throw picks.

zeke, my question about Barr is how will he do as a 4-3 OLB? 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB I see no problem.

If we have a bunch of 3-5 year WRs why can't we be patient enough to wait 3 years?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at AJ all you want, he doesn't have Boyd's speed or arm. Not to mention the ONLY reason AJ is among the mid-level QBs is because his team was awesome for years. And why is that? Because of Bama's D and running game. He was the definition on a game manager in COLLEGE.

Take a look at AJs attempts while your at it. Lol AJ didn't lead a prolific scoring assault of an offense either.

Too many of you like to compare apples to oranges. You look at stats and just can't seem to think outside the box.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have a bunch of 3-5 year WRs why can't we be patient enough to wait 3 years?

Because patience is one thing and Hoping is another. :L. And I'm fairly certain many Rams fans have been pretty patient.

Why do we keep trying to draft "project" WRs should be the question, especially when we need offense and continue to struggle. We have 2 1st rounders. Why not get a stud WR for once? It's simple, but our FO seems to make it difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a fact about our FO, SJ76. Making things difficult when they don't have to be seems to be their default MO. I believe it may happen again this year and all of us will be right back here next year discussing how one of the top WRs in this year's draft who got selected by another team is having a ROY performance and all of us will be doing the same analyzing on yet another draft next year that the FO will again over-think. Does anybody see a pattern here?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've drafted 1 stud WR since Torry Holt and that stud is 5'8 175, cannot run block and is rarely on the field during first down. Don't get me wrong, Austin when on the field is explosive and dangerous.

But We need a WR that can do it all and raises the bar. THATs when we will see some serious offense. Or at least more than what we've been seeing for years. Not to mention, say we don't add a number 1 WR.. And Bradford comes back and the offense struggles again? Are you going to use the excuse that Bradford needs a #1WR? Lol.

Currently:
Quick Big ?
Pettis Maybe a #2 on his best day, has good hands, but can't get much separation
Bailey Looks promising, but hasn't played a full game
Givens has speed, had some drops, not a #1

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The evidence is clear. I don't know why we are even discussing that need pick.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The evidence is clear. I don't know why we are even discussing that need pick.
Its an opportunity cost, though. Its not hard to imagine a scenario where the Rams draft Watkins at #2 and someone like Odell Beckham Jr gets drafted by the Niners at the bottom of the first round and has the better career.

The Rams are also looking at seeing Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson - the 2 best CBs in football - twice a year. Winning will be more about running the football and being able to be unpredictable on offense.

Just eyeballing FootballOutsiders top WR list and of the top 20 highest rated WRs last year, only 5 were drafted in the first round. Wide Receivers hold their value.

If we draft a WR and don't get into the playoffs next year, everyone will want Bradford's head. And it might not matter because we might not have a shot at a better option. I say we have to at least consider the notion that there might be at least 2 franchise QBs in this draft.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odell Beckham has a better career than Sammy Watkins. Lol Odell Beckhsm is not even close to Dwayne Bowes talent. Sammy is a little smaller than Bowe, but away faster.

Hasn't been a WR cine through the draft like Sammy in years people.

Too funny

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ, my point with AJ is that stats in college are useless so throwing out INT numbers and what not don't mean much to me.

Additionally, fans have been patient. But have they been patient with Quick, Givens, Bailey, etc? Those are 3-5 year guys who haven't been given 3-5 years yet we are trying to replace because we have no faith in.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a fact about our FO, SJ76. Making things difficult when they don't have to be seems to be their default MO. I believe it may happen again this year and all of us will be right back here next year discussing how one of the top WRs in this year's draft who got selected by another team is having a ROY performance and all of us will be doing the same analyzing on yet another draft next year that the FO will again over-think. Does anybody see a pattern here?

Retro

The same thing can be said the other way.

Rams draft Watkins believing he is going to be that type of receiver, but they soon realize he is exactly the same type of WR they already have 3 of on the roster ( Austin, Bailey and Pettis ). He has an average year just like Austin did his rookie year.

Meanwhile, Clowney is tearing it up for some other team because they Rams felt they had their bookends on the DL only to find out Long is just average after all and Quinn is getting double-teamed all the time to limit his impact.

The same thing can be said about an OL ( if the OL continues to struggle ) or a QB if Bradford continues to be average and a QB the Rams could've drafted is having success his rookie year.

We can speculate all offseason about this. You feel the FO may overthink this and not take Watkins. I think they may overthink absolutely needing him and strike out as well.