• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Grade

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give us a solid B+. If we would have addressed OLB earlier(not a huge fan of the 3rd round pick but who knows) we could have easily graded out higher.

Love the back to back CB picks although it surprised me. Also getting a first next season is HUGE.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give us a solid B+. If we would have addressed OLB earlier(not a huge fan of the 3rd round pick but who knows) we could have easily graded out higher.

Love the back to back CB picks although it surprised me. Also getting a first next season is HUGE.
Josh Jackson was great value with that second round pick. I'm betting we had both guys at the top of our list for the first pick and when he was still there with the second we couldn't pass him up. I'm happy with getting both guys.

That 2019 first we added in the Saints trade will need to go towards bolstering the pass rush.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB has been drafting defense heavy for several years now. Specifically in the secondary. I don’t know who’s coaching the secondary but I’m tired of seeing the Packers in the bottom of the league when it comes to pass defense. I hope the new DC and company can turn it around. It will be a breath of fresh air to see the middle of the field covered for a change.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB has been drafting defense heavy for several years now. Specifically in the secondary. I don’t know who’s coaching the secondary but I’m tired of seeing the Packers in the bottom of the league when it comes to pass defense. I hope the new DC and company can turn it around. It will be a breath of fresh air to see the middle of the field covered for a change.
New DC certainly cant hurt. My guess is the message was stale and the game passed Capers by somewhat. He is still competent but he didnt adapt well enough IMO

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good pass rush will usually cover up a lot of the issues in the back end. They keep spending early draft picks on the backfield, but don't seem to be addressing the pass rush.

You're correct about the middle of the field, speed at MLB would be a large help with that also. That's one of the bigger reasons why I think Matthews should be playing inside, with him it's probably more about anticipation than speed...either way I think that would be a big help

The grade means jack squat until they actually show they can play.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good pass rush will usually cover up a lot of the issues in the back end.

I fully agree with this, but there are more dimensions to it.

Capers ran a very predictable zone defense with players that struggled to cover the soft spots of zones, so decent QBs like Stafford who have seen the defense multiple times knew exactly where and when to throw the ball. With a good pass rush, Capers' soft zone defenses would've held their own better and would've capitalized on more mistakes from a hurried opposing QBs.

Pettine employs more physical man coverages and needed guys immediately who would ideally fit his physical playmaking man coverage schemes. This year, instead of forcing occasional bad decisions through front 7 pressure, the idea will be to generate more coverage sacks and force short checkdowns on 3rd down instead of giving up easy 25-yard chunks on corner routes through zone holes between the CB and S.

I think getting the right cornerbacks first was the right decision. This season will better enlighten us on the front 7 players we should target with our two 1st round picks next year.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the idea of drafting a punter and a long snapper when there were still so many needs at more critical positions. I'm admittedly a homer, but I wish they had packaged those two picks and taken Troy Fumagalli. They really need to address the TE position.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good pass rush helps a poor secondary

A good secondary helps a poor pass rush

As long as the combination of King, Alexander and Jackson are able to hold their own, with Williams, House et al, the pass rush will be more effective.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good pass rush helps a poor secondary

A good secondary helps a poor pass rush

As long as the combination of King, Alexander and Jackson are able to hold their own, with Williams, House et al, the pass rush will be more effective.

I think House and Williams will be liabilities so we will see what happens.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think House and Williams will be liabilities so we will see what happens.
The hope is that they dont end up starters after a few weeks.