• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doctor Who

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really enjoyed the Star Beast. It felt like a return to the tone and whimsy of RTD era Doctor Who.
I was never a big Donna fan, but that was a decent episode.

The “Catch up!” Line was pretty funny.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never a big Donna fan, but that was a decent episode.

The “Catch up!” Line was pretty funny.

Martha was my favorite of the RTD1 era companions. But Donna did quite well with the DoctorDonna parts of Journey's End. Her rapport with Tennant has always been great as well. You can tell that the actors like each other offscreen as well, and it translates in their performances.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martha was my favorite of the RTD1 era companions. But Donna did quite well with the DoctorDonna parts of Journey's End. Her rapport with Tennant has always been great as well. You can tell that the actors like each other offscreen as well, and it translates in their performances.

Was the coffee spill bad acting or was it on purpose?? i really couldnt tell...

I know that Dr. Who has always been "cheap" on the alien designs... but didnt this episode feel like we were watching something from earlier this century, because of special affects?? was that on purpose to make it feel like Tenant's original seasons??

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday’s episode was classic Who-Horror. Except that there was absolutely zero reason for 14 and Donna to be there. If they never appeared, the same exact ending would have resulted. There was 14 story advancement that was important, but they added nothing to the story arc itself.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special 3 releases at 1:30 PM EST, fyi. That’s just over 2 hours from now.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special 3 releases at 1:30 PM EST, fyi. That’s just over 2 hours from now.
And RTD has teased there will be game-changing things happening, so if you don't watch it quickly after it drops, you're likely to get exposed to some major spoilers

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And RTD has teased there will be game-changing things happening, so if you don't watch it quickly after it drops, you're likely to get exposed to some major spoilers
While I liked Jo Martin’s portrayal of a pre-1 Doctor, I HOPE they somehow retcon that whole arc out of existence.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday’s episode was classic Who-Horror. Except that there was absolutely zero reason for 14 and Donna to be there. If they never appeared, the same exact ending would have resulted. There was 14 story advancement that was important, but they added nothing to the story arc itself.
I can't watch doctor who anymore. I despised even having capaldi carry on but he made it watchable even if in the back of my mind I was thinking......there can't be another doctor God damn it.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I liked Jo Martin’s portrayal of a pre-1 Doctor, I HOPE they somehow retcon that whole arc out of existence.

I don't think that's where they're going. RTD has made comments that he won't retcon the timeless child.

If I had to make a prediction, I think they'll keep David Tennant on as the Valeyard to be Ncuti Gatwa's big bad.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's where they're going. RTD has made comments that he won't retcon the timeless child.

If I had to make a prediction, I think they'll keep David Tennant on as the Valeyard to be Ncuti Gatwa's big bad.
They may just make it official that the Toy Maker is a Time Lord, adding him to the Doctor and Master as remaining survivors.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may just make it official that the Toy Maker is a Time Lord, adding him to the Doctor and Master as remaining survivors.
Why not? We could also just throw in Donna is a dalek and k-9 was a sentient squid from an alternative universe. Hell, alternative universes is all the rage nowadays. It completely explains away every single bastardization Hollywood can come up with.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? We could also just throw in Donna is a dalek and k-9 was a sentient squid from an alternative universe. Hell, alternative universes is all the rage nowadays. It completely explains away every single bastardization Hollywood can come up with.
The Toy Maker has only appeared once on screen and has always been rumored to be rogue Time Lord, much like the Doc and Master. Making that official is not an absurd stretch.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Toy Maker has only appeared once on screen and has always been rumored to be rogue Time Lord, much like the Doc and Master. Making that official is not an absurd stretch.
I got a new idea. Let's create a new time lord. Why not? I get it, you do you. If you like it, enjoy it. I like and enjoy watching the Vikings and they are a terrible product as well.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would that really be game changing though? An expected revelation about the origins of a character that hasn't appeared on TV for over 50 years (in a serial that has been largely lost too!), and that only diehard fans even knew about before his return was teased? If that's all it is, RTD's teases will fall very flat.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a new idea. Let's create a new time lord. Why not? I get it, you do you. If you like it, enjoy it. I like and enjoy watching the Vikings and they are a terrible product as well.
??

By that logic, any episode falls in the same bucket. Making an OLD character, who appeared with the FIRST Doctor, and has been a fan favorite character for 50 years, a more integral character is not the same thing as making the Doctor a non-Galifrean.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would that really be game changing though? An expected revelation about the origins of a character that hasn't appeared on TV for over 50 years (in a serial that has been largely lost too!), and that only diehard fans even knew about before his return was teased? If that's all it is, RTD's teases will fall very flat.
Agree 100%.

But saying it will be “game changing” increases eyes. And this is the guy who has retconned Davros from a 3-eyed, ancient alien being into a crotchety old white dude because he didn’t like the optics of a “bad guy in a wheel chair” (his explicitly explained reasoning, not my extrapolation). Retconning a character who the Doctor hasn’t seen for 1200 years (linearly) into a Time Lord who has always been there is certainly within his zone.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??

By that logic, any episode falls in the same bucket. Making an OLD character, who appeared with the FIRST Doctor, and has been a fan favorite character for 50 years, a more integral character is not the same thing as making the Doctor a non-Galifrean.
Because he wasn't a time lord. He was never even intended to be a time lord. He was an existential being from an alternate reality( yes, this shit existed back then as well). He certainly existed outside of the time wars, even as the time wars broke down the fabric of time itself. I really don't want to get into it as the simple fact that he is not and was never written as a time lord, and he certainly could not enter our realm makes it all a moot point.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??

And by that same logic, turning k-9 into a squid from an alternative reality would fall into the same bucket. It's not true, it's a bastardization of the original works, but why not? Simple reworking of a character amirite?

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda ambivalent about the Giggle honestly. Not great, not awful. NPH's performance as the toymaker was the best part. So far Gatwa looks like he'll be a fun and watchable doctor, but it's very early.

Still wouldn't be surprised if they pulled that Valeyard twist with Tennant. They have to do something with the Valeyard eventually, and this setup is as close as they will ever have to making it easy to pull off. Plus, we know Tennant plays a great villain from some of his other roles.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda ambivalent about the Giggle honestly. Not great, not awful. NPH's performance as the toymaker was the best part. So far Gatwa looks like he'll be a fun and watchable doctor, but it's very early.

Still wouldn't be surprised if they pulled that Valeyard twist with Tennant. They have to do something with the Valeyard eventually, and this setup is as close as they will ever have to making it easy to pull off. Plus, we know Tennant plays a great villain from some of his other roles.
I love nph and his take on the role was awesome. I just don't like the idea in general. Nph nails everything he's given.