• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Devils Draft Recap + ISS Scouting Report!

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1st Round (9th Overall)
Player: Pick traded to VAN for G Cory Schneider

7jc.png

My Take: Fantastic Trade. Biggest impact move made since trading for Kovalchuk. Has shown that he can play at NHL level which is a huge upside over players like Malcolm Subban, Bernier, Gibson, etc, etc.

Also, VAN fans were really high on this guy. They're besides themselves that they didn't get more for Schneider, who they obviously thought was their new franchise goalie.

========================================

2nd Round (42nd Overall)
Player:D Steve Santini 6'2" 205lbs USA U18 NTDP
Ranked 17th by ISS

ISS Scouting Report:

Size/Strength: Very Good
Skating: Very Good
Puck Skills: Good
Shot: Good
Offensive Play: Good
Defensive Play: Excellent
Physical Play: Excellent
Competitiveness: Very Good
Hockey Sense: Excellent

Strengths: Punishing Hitter, Character and Leadership, Efficient Puck Mover.
Weaknesses: Involvement Offensively, Over Commits Physically

Skill: Physical defensive d-man who thrives when the game is on the line and intensity is high.

ISS Scouting Report: We never get tired of pumping up this kids tires. Santini is the anchor and most reliable defender on the USA team. He logged big minutes and played in the most crucial situations and was selected top defensemen at U-18 in Sochi. Does all the little things on the ice that can go easily unnoticed to the untrained hockey eye. When he gets in a rhythm of physical paly he can be as fierce of an opponent as they come and has forwards second guessing themselves as they cross into the offensive zone. Doesn't play a flashy game on the puck but shows confidence in making simple, smart passes to advance the puck. He is a born leader who will do what it takes to win whether wiping out the opposition low, blocking shots or dropping the mitts.

NHL Potential: Has the size, skill and skating ability to be a top two NHL d-man.

Style Compares to: Dan Girardi

3rd Round (73nd Overall)
Player:C Ryan Kujawinski 6'2" 200lbs OHL Kingston
Ranked 65th by ISS

ISS Scouting Report:

Size/Strength: Very Good
Skating: Good
Puck Skills: Very Good
Shot: Very Good
Hockey Sense: Excellent

ISS Scouting Report: Has the raw skill-set on both sides of the puck to be among the biggest steals of the draft. He has an untapped arsenal of offensive weapons with understanding for the 200 ft game. Ryan has an elite level of hockey IQ and makes those around him better through his incredible vision. He has a big shot and is effective around the net. Consistency has been troublesome and at times he can be the most dominant player in the game then be near invisible the next. His game really comes to the forefront when he gains confidence on the puck, potential to be dynamic around the net.

4th Round (100th Overall)
Player:LW Miles Wood 6'1" 165lbs
Noble and Greenough High School in Dedham, Mass.

Will be playing at Brown University in 2014-2015

TG: He had eight goals and 10 assists in 2012-13 with Noble and Greenough and also had two goals and two assists in five games at the USA Hockey Select Under-17 Player Development Camp.

6th Round (160th Overall)
Player:LW Myles Bell 6'0" 214lbs
Ranked 102nd by ISS
Overage Player: Born 1993 instead of 94/95 like this years players

ISS Scouting Report:

Size/Strength: Good
Skating: Good
Puck Skills: Very Good
Shot: Excellent
Hockey Sense: Good

ISS Scouting Report: A potential top round pick two years ago, Bell's life was turned upside down and the NHL has stayed away from him. Two years removed he has re-emerged as an elite player, only this time as a forward. Bell is a gritty and strong physical player with a great shot. He paid immediate dividends when pushed to forward at the beginning of the season and was one of the WHL's top offensive players all season long. Bell still has a lot of work to do and development on and off the ice but he seems to be back on the right path.

7th Round (208th Overall)
Player:G Anthony Brodeur 5'11" 177lbs

Devils acquired a 7th round pick from LA and drafted Marty's son.

He had good numbers at Shattucks (Same school Parise and Crosby played at.)

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So to sum up. Devils got a new starting goalie to take over for Marty when he hangs it up. An excellent defensive prospect, and a guy ISS labeled as one of the potential steals of the draft.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all with what they had to work with, good stuff in my book. Did not expect this much from this years draft.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those GAA and save % numbers get me going!

From the little Ive seen of Schneider he seems to take up a lot of space in net..great positioning.

Cant say I know much about any of our picks..would've rathered Petan in the 2nd. But everything Ive seen on this Santini kid has been extremely positive so I'll trust Lou with that one.

Any extra info on what exactly was Myles Bell's problem? Drugs?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Those GAA and save % numbers get me going!

From the little Ive seen of Schneider he seems to take up a lot of space in net..great positioning.

Cant say I know much about any of our picks..would've rathered Petan in the 2nd. But everything Ive seen on this Santini kid has been extremely positive so I'll trust Lou with that one.

Any extra info on what exactly was Myles Bell's problem? Drugs?

I believe he was speeding and got in a wreck killing a passenger that was in his car.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to sum up. Devils got a new starting goalie to take over for Marty when he hangs it up. An excellent defensive prospect, and a guy ISS labeled as one of the potential steals of the draft.

All in all, a very solid day.

Really like the write ups on second and third rounders. Sounds like Santini will do well with some coaching from Mr. Stevens and Kujawinski fits our system very well with some decent size too.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The miles wood kid didn't have any iss information is that a reach then?

I too saw after santeri taken that kid petan or whoever was taken his statline was nice!

Also glad to hear that Lou addressed that the offense will be taken care of this summer.

I like the schinder trade it will be a steal if they sign him long term

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
one thing that i thought was odd about all of this was that marty wasnt informed of the deal by lou before hand? kinda gotta be weird at the draft at home with your kid. hear we made a trade and hey its for your job!

just weird that lou is usually loyal

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing that i thought was odd about all of this was that marty wasnt informed of the deal by lou before hand? kinda gotta be weird at the draft at home with your kid. hear we made a trade and hey its for your job!

just weird that lou is usually loyal

Sounds like marty was definitely aware of what was going on with Schneider deal.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I read about our second round pick makes me like the pick more. We have depth at D in the system but this guy has shutdown written all over him.

And the guy we took in the third round I've read, when he's at the top of his game he's a no brainer 1st round talent. It's all about being more consistent. That's something that can be worked on. Very solid day in my opinion.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santini sounds like a Devil.... already sounds more promising defensively than Larsson lol.. sorry but thats my take. I would ask why would someone like Santini last til the 2nd but must be the zero impact on the offensive game...an American Tallinder? nah....

BIG Props to the Devils for drafting Anthony!!!! I hope that made his day.... that was sweet and awesome! Good luck to him...

And of course, the biggest story(perhaps) is Schnieder.... again just wow... didn't think Lou had it in him... still a part of me is disappointed that we didn't get a talented offensive youth for the offense...

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i read that lou didnt speak to marty about the trade and marty even said when it was announced he didnt know anything about it.

yeah i'm digging the 2nd round pick more also.

just need 3 things to happen now

1. get the young d men into the games. meaning we have to trade someone there now and get some picks or a forward back.
which brings me to #2

2. add some scoring somewhere somehow! trade or ufa. brierre for a 2 year deal cheap could be nice. he wants to stay in the area use that as a bargining chip.

3. WE HAVE TO SIGN COREY LONG TERM!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
at first i didnt like the trade but im more then happy with it now. i really thought we could get by this season with the goalies we have now and next year the UFA for goalies will be huge could've made the splash there while keeping our #9

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santini sounds like a young Scott Stevens.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at first i didnt like the trade but im more then happy with it now. i really thought we could get by this season with the goalies we have now and next year the UFA for goalies will be huge could've made the splash there while keeping our #9

who were the UFA goalies for next off season if I may? Curious is all.... Better not be Renne!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santini sounds like a young Scott Stevens.

I kid you not, the videos they were showing on nbc sports when the pick was made, he looked like chara out there lol... must've been real small guys since he's only 6'2 which sadden me lol....

but reading it and everything, Stevens would love this kid...if we bring him up in the near future.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kid you not, the videos they were showing on nbc sports when the pick was made, he looked like chara out there lol... must've been real small guys since he's only 6'2 which sadden me lol....

but reading it and everything, Stevens would love this kid...if we bring him up in the near future.

The highlights show him wrecking people, it's fantastic. Saw a few where he's just flat out shutting guys down one on one, not getting fooled by their moves, staying with them stride for stride. I'm excited for this guy.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with you guys about the 2nd rounder we got. His interviews and reviews describe a good NHL defensemen already. I have no doubt he'll become an NHL player. Kinda reminds me of Hamonic from the Isles when he was drafted. Devils player and sounds like a winner.

I don't like the 3rd rounder that much. Sure he has great talent but It always seems that the inconsistent players tend to end up consistent with their lower level.

I did Like the Bell pickup. I trust Lou and Conte with having interviewing him and realising his past wont be a hindrance anymore. The guy has talent, there's no doubt about it, and for a 6th rounder its pretty good.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The miles wood kid didn't have any iss information is that a reach then?

I too saw after santeri taken that kid petan or whoever was taken his statline was nice!

Also glad to hear that Lou addressed that the offense will be taken care of this summer.

I like the schinder trade it will be a steal if they sign him long term

Miles Wood isn't listed in their top 200 skaters. I guess the Devils went off the board with him. Although as we all know the Devils have innumerable connections to the NE hockey scene and hockey east, so they must have seen something to take him.

I was also looking in my book about Petan and was shocked by those stats. Problem is he's really, really small. Impossible to know he'll be able to have an offensive game at the pro level. And if he can't make the jump he's certainly not going to become a checker. Time will tell.

Also, I was shocked at how high the Santini kid was ranked. ISS really liked him.