• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadline Trades

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the non-waiver trade deadline has come and gone without the Bucs making a move to bolster their lineup. I really thought all the early quietness would turn into a barn burning explosion before 4pm yesterday... but, that obviously did not happen. I'm not disappointed because by all rights, the asking prices were just too high.

What confuses me is why, though. What do teams like the Phillies, Blue Jays, Mariners, Twins, Mets, Giants, Brewers, Marlins etc. have to gain by hanging on to guys when their hopes for the postseason are slim and none?

Maybe it's just me being used to the fact that the Bucs have been sellers at the deadline far too often in the past, and we have always seemed to be willing to part with the present to build for the future. Why aren't teams' in a similar circumstance this year willing to do the same?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think the Marlins had much left to trade, the brewers sold some.

I think its a combo of huge markets, just won the WS(giants) why not try it one more time?, but I think the biggest reason is the new MLB national contract kicking in next year and every team will get 25 mill more per year.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the non-waiver trade deadline has come and gone without the Bucs making a move to bolster their lineup. I really thought all the early quietness would turn into a barn burning explosion before 4pm yesterday... but, that obviously did not happen. I'm not disappointed because by all rights, the asking prices were just too high.

What confuses me is why, though. What do teams like the Phillies, Blue Jays, Mariners, Twins, Mets, Giants, Brewers, Marlins etc. have to gain by hanging on to guys when their hopes for the postseason are slim and none?

Maybe it's just me being used to the fact that the Bucs have been sellers at the deadline far too often in the past, and we have always seemed to be willing to part with the present to build for the future. Why aren't teams' in a similar circumstance this year willing to do the same?

Well looking at those teams; the Phils and Mariners are run by complete morons so that doesn't surprise me. Giants and Jays had high hopes, and have deepish pockets, so they didn't really need to sell, although they probably should have. Don't get the Twins, Brewers, and Mets though, they are going nowhere.

I think it was just a fluke year that there were a lot of sellers who are traditionally buyers.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the White Sox realized the real value of Rios he is officially a Ranger.

There was NO possible way Rios would have made it all the way to the Pirates for a waiver claim but I imagine they could have given the Sox a little more than what is the proposed PTBNL. But still glad they didn't go for him not sure he is worth it.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now that the White Sox realized the real value of Rios he is officially a Ranger.

There was NO possible way Rios would have made it all the way to the Pirates for a waiver claim but I imagine they could have given the Sox a little more than what is the proposed PTBNL. But still glad they didn't go for him not sure he is worth it.

i think the rangers have to absorb the whole salary this and next if he is a waiver claim. correct?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the rangers have to absorb the whole salary this and next if he is a waiver claim. correct?

I think you are correct but if I remember he had a clause in his contract that would give him a raise if he got traded. No wonder his value was lower than the Sox expected. Anyway I think the Sox did send the Rangers the cash to offset that raise.