• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadline Trades

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing for me is this; is it worth making a blockbuster trade right now only to be eligible for a one game WC playoff? I say this because I have my doubts the Bucs overtake the Cards for the NLC.
THIS. So much THIS.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[MEDIA=twitter]361893155085365248[/MEDIA]

You guys can get pissed off for me saying this if you want but if you don't make a move, you don't make the playoffs. And don't deny that the race is going to be that close because you know it will. The Cards just got swept and you're playing them for the next five games. Reward yourself by going after a major upgrade!!!

Why do people keep saying this? Is there any rationale behind it besides, "it's the Pirates and they suck" thinking?

I mean, what team is going to overtake them, Arizona?

If the Pirates problems are so deep they can't hold an 8 game lead as currently constructed, then they aren't good enough to be giving away major prospects for upgrades anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking at this rationally, if the Pirates were to go 29-30 from today to the end of the season, that would give them 90 wins. For Arizona to get to 90 wins they would need to win 36 of 57, Washington would need 38 wins and Colorado 39. All in less than 60 games. Is it possible that one of those 3 could win that many games? I guess so, but I would not put money on it. A more like scenario would be that the Pirates don't win 29 games, but I find that hard to believe as well.

I think it is going to be hard for any of the 3 teams I mentioned to reach even 86 wins which would put any of them at 10 games over .500 for the first time all season. For the Pirates to get to 86 wins they could go 26-35. Having proved the last 2 years that that is actually possible, it has to be considered. With the current make-up of the team I find it hard to believe that it will actually happen though.

I do not believe for a second that there is one single player that is going to help any of Arizona, Washington or Colorado be able to catch us in the standings. So in essence we would not be making a trade to try to make the playoffs, we would be making a trade to try to win in the playoffs. In the strange twist to this baseball trade deadline, after so many years of selling everything and anything of value, the one year we have needs to help us win in the postseason, that player is not available to us.

Fortunately for us there is very little available on the market that will help any of the teams most in need.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we are not going to win the NL.
we dont have the firepower when it gets to pitching in the playoffs.
look at the WS winners. one or even two players arent enough.

keep our assets, mature as a team, add one in the offseason and let our next 2 minor leaguers step up next year, then a july trade could make us a NL winner and real WS contender.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The trade market is terrible.
Contending teams are making the same trades they've ever made except they're paying more for smaller talents because there are less players available.

The prices are so bad that i can't justify making an acquisition. Let's be happy with a winning season and try to make the playoffs with what we've got.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pirates problems are so deep they can't hold an 8 game lead as currently constructed, then they aren't good enough to be giving away major prospects for upgrades anyway.

Well played, sir.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've tried to make trades the last 2 years and look how that turned out...

Fuckit. Lets just ride this team.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanrahan for Melancon + prospects turned out well at least, considering what happened to the Hammer in BOS.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Does anyone know of a radio station that focuses on baseball, nationally? I like 93.7 the fan( a little) , but I want a national spin on things. I know guys like Cowherd, Mike and Mike, Dan Patrick occasionally talk baseball, but I'd like someone who focuses on it. Any suggestions?

The national NFL stories just don't strike me as anything anyone should care about.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Does anyone know of a radio station that focuses on baseball, nationally? I like 93.7 the fan( a little) , but I want a national spin on things. I know guys like Cowherd, Mike and Mike, Dan Patrick occasionally talk baseball, but I'd like someone who focuses on it. Any suggestions?

The national NFL stories just don't strike me as anything anyone should care about.

Nope not that I am aware of. Yeah training camp stories about the NFL are boring.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it looks like this trade deadline might go out on a thud. The prices for rental players is way too high and not sold on many of the folks discussed if it means giving up too much talent.

On the other hand if Brian Wilson was willing to not play on the west coast he might be a Pirate. Which could be some good bullpen help without giving up a player.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know any, but I would think MLB Network has their own station if you have satellite radio, or are at your computer.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rumors rampant on Pirates today, in on Norris, Rios, Peavy, Ramirez, and Brian Wilson. To all I would give a hearty no thanks, not a single one would make this team better. I see no need to give up prospects for any of those mentioned.

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yahoo Sports is reporting now, that the Pirates are close to a deal for Alex Rios.

Unless Kenny Williams & the ChiSox have come way down on their asking price? I don't like this move at all.

As has been stated by others, this trade market is crap. Unless you are going to give up some real prospects & go after Stanton, these other guys just don't excite me at all.

I think someone like Sheirholtz could serve us just as well as Rios would & he would probably cost much less.

Thoughts...

Burgh

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't the reason to use a big prospect for a Rios.

The only reason i like Wilson was he wouldn't cost anything in a trade and you could move Snider to the 60-day DL to free up the 40 man roster spot.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's really only Alex Dickerson for Rios, I'm ok with it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is a Dodger as I expected.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's really only Alex Dickerson for Rios, I'm ok with it.

Even though he moved to RF this season I would really like to see Dickerson at 1B for the Pirates next season.

I guess the deal would make sense if they could get the Sox to take on a lot of the money.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though he moved to RF this season I would really like to see Dickerson at 1B for the Pirates next season.

I guess the deal would make sense if they could get the Sox to take on a lot of the money.

You think he is that close though? I guess September he could. But yea, he is one of the few hitting prospects we have in the high minors, would rather they use the Duke Welkers or the Brandon Cumptons of the world to upgrade.